Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Finally fully built ZR underway!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I shall race you for the Canadian championship.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Cool setup. I have a # of similar parts.. ;-)
I would say that the Carbonetics twin disk carbon clutch and the LSD combo worked really well for me. I used the soft hub if I remember correctly. It will take all the abuse you can give it as long as you break it in correctly. Same goes for the LSD, me and MD racer both have it, while I use mine for road track, he loves drifting and says it made a HUGE difference for him.
I also love my tein monotube flex setup.. add in the cage i have and I really like the feel/ride I get on the street. As for putting in a rollbar, that should be easy to do and still ahve a functioning top. I have that plus the bolt in cage and my top is still fully functional.

Good luck with the build and look forward to seeing pics.
--B
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BamBam
Very Cool setup. I have a # of similar parts.. ;-)
I would say that the Carbonetics twin disk carbon clutch and the LSD combo worked really well for me. I used the soft hub if I remember correctly. It will take all the abuse you can give it as long as you break it in correctly. Same goes for the LSD, me and MD racer both have it, while I use mine for road track, he loves drifting and says it made a HUGE difference for him.
I also love my tein monotube flex setup.. add in the cage i have and I really like the feel/ride I get on the street. As for putting in a rollbar, that should be easy to do and still ahve a functioning top. I have that plus the bolt in cage and my top is still fully functional.

Good luck with the build and look forward to seeing pics.
--B
Do you mind sharing more about your roll bar/cage setup in your roadster? I am looking for this, since I get kicked off the track every run. I would be interested in a link to pics, was it custom or is it available from a vendor, who built it or installed it, what did it run you, etc...
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the roll bar,

My concern is there is no way to tie in rear diagonals at an acceptable angle, without interfering with the roof mechanism, has anyone managed to fit a tube through there without causing any interference?

You could always run the main hoop supports forward, but to have it properly done it would no longer be street-car-esque to say the least!

Here are a few more photos of the engine, we teared it down today and it looks like a rod failed from stress, I don't see signs of bearing failure so I really just think it was rod deformation that finally caused it to fail!

The piston smashed into the valves, actually shearing the piston in half it seems, the rings are the only thing holding the two peices together.

Overall very impressive carnage! I can't wait to get it back together more powerful and reliable than every before.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981
Do you mind sharing more about your roll bar/cage setup in your roadster? I am looking for this, since I get kicked off the track every run. I would be interested in a link to pics, was it custom or is it available from a vendor, who built it or installed it, what did it run you, etc...
I cannot for the life of me find any good pics of BamBam...
As far as cage info is concerned:

Originally Posted by BamBam
I am not sure what the broomstick test is.
Yes my top is still fully functional. The cage is partially removable.

The cage was made by Bell Chassiworks who make SCCA and NASA tube frame race cars around Atlanta, so I know all the proper specification for roll cages. Mine did not meet all the requirements because I would not allow the cage to cut into my dash or effect my interior door panels.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
BamBam

Istan posted what I have discussed in the past. The guys at Bell Chassisworks know their stuff, but again I was not going for a track certified roll cage. I just wanted some additional protection for the Bonneville Salt Flats run where I was trying to go for 200mph. I added a 6 point fire supression system, harnesses and brand new ZR rated tires to give me that extra little safety in case something went horribly wrong.

In order to properly do the cage you would have to consider cutting into the front dash, and possibly the inside door panels, depending on what type of side impact protection you are looking for. I managed to get side bars installed, but it made getting in and out of the car very difficult, whereas if we had set up a hinged system it would be much easier but required removing the door panels.

Now, my cage is hooked into the cars already existing roll hoop/bar. The guys said this bar was structurally sufficient to withstand any normal impact, but again I am not sure if it would meet any racing standards. I did have another company look at putting the rear support in to the strut bars, but they said it might interfere with the tops functionality. Bell Chassis works never told me why they did not do that with my car. All I know is I told them to do the best they could within the bounds of it not having to be race certified, and it was for a straight line run.. no walls, no cars or any other objects would be a problem, just flipping/rolling the car at extreme speeds.

Not sure if that helps, but that's all I know. I can say the cage REALLY stiffened up the ride and flex in the car. I am really happy with that. The cost for a bolt in cage w/permanent roll bar and powdercoating was something like $2k I think. It is a complete custom build and took 3 weeks.
--B
Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 PM
toples z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^ god dam thats a BIG ONE. when you said that you blew the motor i thought a little hole from a piston or a snapped rod. I WAS WRONG YOU RIPPED HER A NEW ONE. anyway good luck with the build.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Smasher

Sasha
Thanks for the Pics and letting me hang out in the shop whne you took the Eng out. I learned a lot!

BamBam
Thanks for sharing on the Roll bar. If you have any close up pics of where they welded things up it would be cool to see. I know there is a number ZR guys looking for a solution here.

Yup she blew apart pretty good. Very uneasy feeling to say the least when it happend.

Now if there are tears they are beacuse I am happy she is getting fixed.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In for a built ZR with a list of goodies...

+1 on BamBam's cage setup for the ZR. Marshall needs one so he can stop sand bagging at the local track so he doesn't get kicked off!! hahaha
Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
SWAT Team 350z

some good pics of bambam's cage:

http://bellchassisworks.com/listing....=59&pageid=232
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^
Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 AM
mrg1981

I just sent a link to those pics to Han. Let's see if he can come up with a good solution for me! Thanks for the pics and explanation.

OP- Good luck on the build. Sounds like it is going to be a beast!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Smasher

Originally Posted by SWAT Team 350z

Thanks for posting the pics they look good and give us some ideas.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys!

Last edited by Smasher; 01-31-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:03 AM
nissannx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGSash
Overall very impressive carnage!
LOL - this is very descriptive and almost better than the pictures! Dave and Sasha, keep us updated!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:28 PM
BamBam

Originally Posted by SWAT Team 350z
Awesome find man, thanks for that.. I can definitely recommend BellChassis works for building anyone in the Georgia or NC area. They really do great work and will build whatever you need keeping in mind your usage plans and competition class rules.

Keep up the good work on the build man and good luck everyone with your cage builds.
--B
Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure if I am too late of if the rear bypass mod compensates, but I did not see a nismo thermostat...or radiator (beefier one) on the list.

I think the set up is perfect, quality parts and a lot like BamBams which is a beast of beasts!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Smasher

Good catch on the thermostat I will have to check on that. I do have the AMS rad its pretty big.

I have my money order in hand for the Carbonetics twin clutch and the LSD but had a car accident today on my way down to SG to pass this on.

It was a younger girl (I'm old haha but feel young) in a VW golf, pulled in front of my cavalier and it knocked the bumper off and smashed the front headlights. Everyone ok but just another bill and insurance issue to worry about.

I think we are getting the exhaust manifold Ceramic coated, adding an external oil cooler, a larger power steering cooler, and catch can.

I just got word today that the cam cover chrome plating is done and ready for pick up. The plan was to pick up the timing cover from SG today to get powdercoated to match the APS plenum but the accident messed this up as well.

Waiting for an update on the Eng status from injected.

Thats about it and I hope absolutly everything because I'm way over my ininitial budget when i started this re-build. Just keep adding stuff LOL but it should be worth it.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by Smasher
Thats about it and I hope absolutly everything because I'm way over my ininitial budget when i started this re-build. Just keep adding stuff LOL but it should be worth it.
Get used to that! Here is how you should budget for building a project like this:

All of the parts will cost $XX,XXX = A
Labor and shipping will cost $XX,XXX = B
Things you overlooked will cost $X,XXX = C
Things that need to be redone or changed will cost $X,XXX = D

Here is how you should budget as follows:
1.5A + 2B + C + D = Actual Cost

Then, in 3-6 months, you'll add to your project anyway!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Smasher

^^ Don't disagree with that at all and had some extra in there for the extra passed that extra that was supposed to be for new rubber.

I hope I dont need that last one after this build thats way I am spending the extra now.
"Things that need to be redone or changed will cost $X,XXX = D"

Redone.....do over list that I can think of so far,

The clutch is do-over upgraded, No real extra cost labor wise to do this while the eng is out so this is why I decided to move on this now vs later and can hopefully sell my current FW and Clutch before I where it out with the extra pwr.
Re- install turbos etc..because of eng failiure. Risk was known from the start but it happend earlier than I was expecting/wanted. Pushed it to hard I guess.
Front bumper cracked when I got a tow so I'm fixing that and will need to get it re-painted.
Re-tune/dyno, yup what can I say gotta have this.

Quick Reply: Finally fully built ZR underway!