Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Finally fully built ZR underway!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Smasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the shop today while Sasha had it on the dyno doing some tuning. Man it sounds mean. I am lost for words really, and I am so pleased.

At just over 9lbs boost we were hitting 426whp. Pwr seamed to drop off after ~6k rpm, could be resticted by my cats and exhaust. We need to upgrade the actuators so we could increase the boost and finish the tuning so I suggested we give Forged a call since they have delt with a lot of APS kits and might have them in stock. These should ship out Monday overnight. Orderd the "yellow" springs 10-15psi.

Could not be happier right now

Corrected we ordred the yellow springs, but ended up getting Green? re-ordered yellow and they got held up for customs paperwork Crap happens I guess but it is such a nice long weekend and no car.

Last edited by Smasher; 04-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Smasher

Almost done!

New tires on, Alignment and camber set, ECU flashed, etc etc...

Sasha out fo a little spin to make sure all is well.
Attached Thumbnails Finally fully built ZR underway!-flyby01.jpg   Finally fully built ZR underway!-flyby02.jpg   Finally fully built ZR underway!-flyby03.jpg   Finally fully built ZR underway!-alignment.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet! I can't wait to see the first 1/4 mile run! Congrats and good work.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Smasher

New update.

So long story short everything installed, tuned including the dyno (I will get to numbers shortly) and we noticed an unusual ticking sound. Uh-oh ..........

The car was running perfectly, good oil pressure, very smooth; good idle when we started her up etc...

Once the car was warm and at idle the noise occurred and would immediately go away when we increased the rev`s. To me it sounded like valves ticking or something. (Little men still working inside my Eng) Well at the time I was very worried. We used the old fashion stethoscope to try and isolate the noise. My idea actually that I learned from my dad years ago. We used a wooden broom handle and held one end up your ear and the other end on different parts of the eng and it amplifies the sound a lot so you can here where the noise is the loudest. It sounded like it was coming from the front timing cover area.

Sasha got on the phone to Hal at Injected right away. Hal thinks it`s my Cam sprockets. These were not new as they came with the used re-built block. We disconnected the cam sensors and the noise immediately goes away and the car runs perfectly. So if I am really lucky it could just be one or both of the sensor`s but I am not feeling lucky on this one. Hal is sending us new sensors and sprockets (but I have to pay for them ). Not sure yet when they will arrive but I am very anxious to get these. If it`s the sprockets it`s a lot of work to install them.

Hal said it was still fine to drive as long as we disconnected the cam sensors. Sasha tuned the car for me with the sensor`s disconnected so I could still enjoy the car while we wait for the parts etc.. I was not sure of this and was reluctant to drive much but Sasha reassured me it`s ok as long as I don’t go WOT.

So while I am waiting to get this done you might be asking what numbers I put down. Well that is another story that I will make short. We started off with the stock APS spring actuators rated at only about 9lbs or so. This only got us just over 400WHP. We ordered new actuators with the next level springs 10-15lbs and that got us up to about 430WHP or so at 11lbs. We could not get the boost past 11lbs even though the springs were rated for 10-15. So now we will be ordering yet the next level of springs and install again ugh! We will try some APS test pipes to see what that does as well vs. the Berks High flow cats.
I think Sasha has the graph of the last tune and pull before we noticed the ticking sound.

Well that`s where I am with this build so close now to being finished.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Smasher

The car is done and running absolutely fantastic!!!!

A very big thank you goes out to Sasha at SG-Motorsport for pulling this build together and Hal at Injected performance for building my Eng and supporting us the whole way through.

It’s been a few weeks to get the parts and shop time organized but it has been very much worth the wait. We ordered new Cam sprockets and got the Nismo ones, new Red actuator springs, and 2.5 APS test pipes.

Sasha got everything installed and street tuned last week so it was sitting about 12psi without the boost control on. I wanted to go to a few meets on the weekend and Sasha had it running pretty sweet. I could feel the extra power already. The Dyno guy was on Holiday and forgot to drop off the dyno before he left so we had to wait to up the boost and do a final tune. The Nismo Cams sprockets eliminated the ticking noise yahoo!!! We changed the oil to Mobile 15-50 synthetic and it increased the oil pressure a little as well. After a few days on the street with the test pipes I got a little concerned with the smell. It was not really bad but enough that I was noticing it at each stop light so I decided this was not for me. We have strict laws up here in Canada and I don’t need the hassle. The cops have been running my plates when they see my car so..... but have not stopped me to date.

Today’s Dyno tunes
Since the 2.5 test pipes were already on I wanted to see what numbers I could get before putting the cats back in and have a separate map in case I want to change again for a track event and of course bragging rights haha. To my pleasant surprise I did not lose too much pwr with the cats vs test pipes. Sasha tuned the car for me with a linear torque curve vs. seeing all that torque up front. It feels perfect and still breaks the tires loose easily.
Attached Thumbnails Finally fully built ZR underway!-545powerboost.jpg   Finally fully built ZR underway!-545powerafr.jpg   Finally fully built ZR underway!-545powertq.jpg   Finally fully built ZR underway!-catspowerboost.jpg   Finally fully built ZR underway!-catspowertorque.jpg  

Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 AM
s14_2Nv

Very nice results, congrats!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Very nice. congrats on the new engine.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice davey!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:05 PM
xtcz

looks amazing .. i bet even feels better .. cant wait to see it around t.o
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures and videos really do the car no justice, you have to bug Dave to go for a ride in it if you're ever anywhere in the area (sorry Dave!), it's nothing but smiles once it gets into boost.

Here's a quick youtube video of it on the dyno:

Smasher's 350z TT On The Dyno
Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Smasher

Love the Vid Sasha, thanks man!

Rides for gas money and tires LOL
Old 06-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Smasher

Thanks for the comments guys the car feels great.

The carbonetics LSD helps to keep the pwr planted on both wheels better than I would have ever expected> before with the stock LSD it would still pull to one side hard and not straighten out unless I lifted. Now I can put the peddle down and she may start to pull to one side but corrects really smoothly.

Loving the BC cams the car just sounds a lot meaner and pulls hard.

There will be a test and tune run in the near future and some lapping days.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats!!!

[/jealousy]
Old 06-10-2009, 05:32 AM
SC350ZR

Absolutely amazing build, first fully built ZR that I know about
Is the difference between your old setup and the new as what you expected it to be?

I need more $$$ so I can rebuild mine because it is slooooow, drove my friends Supra at 17 psi and now my ZR is not so fast
I guess we all want more after getting used to the current setup.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:52 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Nice and Congrats.
I hope you enjoy her through the summer.