Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

T-Trim question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 AM
gerrychuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Trim question

I've been looking at going FI, and have been looking closely at the Vortech systems. There are a couple of opportunities out there right now to pick up a T-trim blower cheaply, which brings up a couple of questions. I know the T-trim flows more and has higher boost potential than the SC trim, and that the reason most people look at that option is to go for higher hp than the stock blower can give. My question is how does the T-trim blower work if you're NOT pushing it hard? For instance, if you were to use the T-trim with the stock 3.33 pulley, will it produce more boost and flow at lower rpm than the SC would, being a bigger pump? And if you were to use the stock pulley or perhaps the 3.12, would you still run into the belt slip problems many people experience with the T? I've read a lot (and yes, I've definitely used "search") but discussion of the t-trim usually centers around high-power applications. I know the T-trim is normally a much more expensive option than the SC, and obviously why would you spend the extra if you don't need the power it can produce; I'm looking at the option because there are a couple of deals out there that might make it one of the less expensive options available right now, hence the questions.

Thanks in advance, and please don't flame me; it's my birthday.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no one has really posted a boost log of a T trim. Yes it should flow more air at all rpms levels, but not very much difference at lower rpms, as its still all related to impeller speed.

If you can pick up a T-trim setup for a good price, no reason not to have a larger blower and just pulley it back to the power level you are comfortable with.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
350Z400rwhp

I think Johny C on here had a T-Trim with the 3.33, he now runs an sts but he could give you some insight. If I had a T-Trim I would do the Supercharger Wastegate made by 928 Motorsports (bleed off boost over 10 psi on a stock block) and say a 2.87 or even smaller (not sure what the rpm limits of the T-trim are though). If this all worked you could have some decent low end power with a supercharger. But yeah that would be pretty complicated and I know some have tried this. I would just get the best deal you can find, weather it be a S or T Trim if you have a stock block.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The T-trim has a bigger intake openning . I believe its 4 inch over the 3.75 inch of the stock blower . It will flow more air and make more boost earlier . It isnt that much down low . And a smaller pulley on the stock blower can do just as much .

I have pushed the stock kit pretty much to its limits and suggest staying with the stock blower , go to a 3.12 or the 2.87 pulley . Get the GTM pulley to help with serp pulley slip . Be satisfied with what you end up with . Pouring a ton of money into it trying to make more power isnt worth it .
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Car vs. Driver

What are your power goals? You can make pretty good power with an SC and 2.87 pulley. I put down ~365 on the heart breaker dyno with that setup.

However, if find a T cheaper, just use a 3.33 pulley and you should be fine on the stock block with a good fuel system, EM and tune.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM
gerrychuck

Thanks very much; all really useful info and answers. As for power goals, I'm sure a standard kit with a 3.12 would meet my goals; I'm not trying to pursue ultimate power; I really want to be quite conservative on the stock block. My interest in the T-trim is primarily based on the fact that there are a couple of them available pretty cheap right now, and the possibility of producing a bit more low-end power than the stock kit. Thanks again for the help; much appreciated!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the T-trim will produce more psi at low rpms than the stock blower, but not necessarily more hp/tq at low rpms....I think that mostly depends on breathing mods, engine compression, and the tune. The T-trim will flow more air, but it's going to be hotter air so it's an interesting balancing act
Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 AM
str8dum1

^^+1. in all the logging i've done with all sorts of pulley setups, you dont start to really see meaningful differences until the higher rpms (>4000). pretty much like the spool effect of a turbo (which is easy to believe since centri SC'rs boost like turbos)

I talked to Mariano at Vortech yesterday about the T-trim and am still disappointed they wont make anything that will support 60k rpms to fit our cars.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:39 AM
booger

Originally Posted by sentry65
I think the T-trim will produce more psi at low rpms than the stock blower, but not necessarily more hp/tq at low rpms....I think that mostly depends on breathing mods, engine compression, and the tune. The T-trim will flow more air, but it's going to be hotter air so it's an interesting balancing act
^^^ this is coming from all the hands on you have had running and data logging the T-trim right ?

Im sure you will give one of your long winded [ I have seen the map for a T-trim ] answers . Dont bother ....PLEASE !!!!! lol
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't actually seen any dynos with a T-trim that showed an actual gain in power below 3000 rpms compared to the SC-trim blowers.

I don't really care what the psi curve is because there's too many variables for it to have any meaning, especially if there's only 1 car to sample data from
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
mafoor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I talked to Mariano at Vortech yesterday about the T-trim and am still disappointed they wont make anything that will support 60k rpms to fit our cars.
I kno on the vortech website it says the T-tirm can only be spun to 55000 RPMs, but i was told that since it is the v1 with straight cut gears and race bearings that it can be spun to much higher RPMs. Does ne1 kno if that is true?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM
booger

Originally Posted by mafoor
I kno on the vortech website it says the T-tirm can only be spun to 55000 RPMs, but i was told that since it is the v1 with straight cut gears and race bearings that it can be spun to much higher RPMs. Does ne1 kno if that is true?
I spun that T-trim to 21 psi . You arent going to over spin it . Nor are you going to over spin a stock Vortech blower on our motors with a serp belt .
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Car vs. Driver

Here's a link to my RPM calculator for the SC-Trim ... you can use this to calculate RPM's in the T-Trim by adjusting the variables in column E/F

https://my350z.com/forum/6614712-post78.html
Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 AM
mafoor

Thanks! I work in a machine shop and have CAD software at home and was going to design an 8 rib serp setup and custom make cog pulleys on an EDM so that i can run the biggest jackshaft serp pulley possible to have max belt contact, but if i would be overspinning the blower past 55k then im not going to waste my time.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 AM
str8dum1

well if thats the case, hopefully I can get you to pay for a future bearing/seal rebuild

Originally Posted by booger
I spun that T-trim to 21 psi . You arent going to over
spin it . Nor are you going to over spin a stock Vortech blower on our motors with a serp belt .
Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
booger

Originally Posted by str8dum1
well if thats the case, hopefully I can get you to pay for a future bearing/seal rebuild
Everything wears out , or it wasnt assembled right in the first place . Vortech seems to be good at it .