Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radiologue
I believe my point is that the Top Secret Diffuser would be much more functional if used in conjuction with additional underbody trays because the diffuser itself leaves a huge gaping cavity under the rear of the car. Without the additional undertray it seems like it would be little more than an aesthetic enhancement. I cannot disagree that it may be a good starting / ending point.
What huge gaping cavity??? It effectively covers the void where the factory muffler used to be if you're running dual exhaust. Please explain.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
....Cant do the wing thing....I did call a Top Secret dealer to order the front plate and the rear diffuser....he is not sure if the Z will fit the G....I will keep you all updated.
I have one concern about the TS rear diffuser... It has very wide center channel without any vanes. It seems to me that this will create a problem in that it may not establish optimal vorticies, which are desirable to delay flow separation and controlling the boundary layer. I would suspect that the Varis diffuser or overZealous1's diffuser will work better better. Perhaps vanes could be added to the TS rear diffuser?

My thought is to go into the wind tunnel with a rear diffuser in which we can both adjust the angle of the diffuser with respect to the ground and adjust the vanes.

While repeating myself, the goal is to:

1. Maximize air flow velocity as it travels under the car, and to keep the air flow from separating from the undertray/rear diffuser until it exits the rear of the car. This will maximize down force.

2. We also want to smoothly slow the air flow velocity as it exits from under the car to match the air flow velocity over the top of the car. This should minimize turbulence when the upper and lower air flows meet, thus minimizing drag.

Yesterday I contacted Bulletproof Automotive, who's telephone number is listed as Varis' contact number in the United States. They have not yet returned my call. I'll call them again today if I get a chance.

Also, as I said before, I like the idea of capturing come of the airflow coming out of the bottom of the intercooler and directing this under the car to increase air flow velocity under the car, I just don't know yet whether there is adequate room up front to achieve this without adverse consequences. In other words, can we acheive a suitable angle of attack. If the angle of attack is too steep, it probably will not work properly. I was supposed to meet with Roger on Monday, but some things popped up so I didn't get a chance to look under the front of any cars. On that note, I'll give Sharif a call.

Sorry I have not been posting much in this week, but I have alot of projects at work I'm trying to get out.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-13-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I have one concern about the TS rear diffuser... It is vary wide channel without any vanes. It seems to me that this will create a problem in that it may not establish optimal vorticies, which are desirable to delay flow separation and controlling the boundary layer. I would suspect that the Varis diffuser or overZealous1's diffuser will work better better.
A lot of people don't know that Top Secret has optional vanes available for their diffusers. Here's a couple pics of the optional center fins on a TS diffuser for a Supra.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 02-13-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^I must haz dis !!! I must haz ^^

LOVE IT....I dont thing we can go wrong starting with this !!!

Last edited by XKR; 02-13-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Rude....always comes through in the clutch.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find Rude, good thing I already have a Top Secret front bumper! (although it probably doesn't matter

-George
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

I just spoke with Hunter at Bulletproof Automotive. They represent Varis, Top Secret, and another of other companies here in the U.S.

For the 350Z guys, it looks like they have off the shelf products that will fit.

For us G35 guys, there may be some options that may need some tweeking (e.g. cutting, drilling mounting holes, etc.)

With respect to the rear, he has a Top Secret rear diffuser for their wide body G35, which can be ordered with vanes. We may be able to make this fit our cars. Also, he is going to see if we can order the rear diffuser whithout the vanes attached. That way, we can make them adustable to optimize them for various target speeds.

I'm going to get the width of my front bumper measured for him and send him the dimensions, and then he will look into what they can come up with for the front undertray.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-13-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
^^I must haz dis !!! I must haz ^^

LOVE IT....I dont thing we can go wrong starting with this !!!
shine auto carry this diffuser for rx7,supra,s2000 .. u may ask shine auto to make it fit on u g35.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by 350z-900whp
shine auto carry this diffuser for rx7,supra,s2000 .. u may ask shine auto to make it fit on u g35.
Ummm... Top Secret makes a diffuser for the G35. We don't have to make one for a different model fit on a G. Also, you can get anything & everything Top Secret from Intense.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I just spoke with Hunter at Bulletproof Automotive. They represent Varis, Top Secret, and another of other companies here in the U.S.

For the 350Z guys, it looks like they have off the shelf products that will fit.

For us G35 guys, there may be some options that may need some tweeking (e.g. cutting, drilling mounting holes, etc.)

With respect to the rear, he has a Top Secret rear diffuser for their wide body G35, which can be ordered with vanes. We may be able to make this fit our cars. Also, he is going to see if we can order the rear diffuser whithout the vanes attached. That way, we can make them adustable to optimize them for various target speeds.

I'm going to get the width of my front bumper measured for him and send him the dimensions, and then he will look into what they can come up with for the front undertray.

Kool.....

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Ummm... Top Secret makes a diffuser for the G35. We don't have to make one for a different model fit on a G. Also, you can get anything & everything Top Secret from Intense.
Thats right...Intense is a dealer......What price can they get the one in the pic for?? And what time line???
Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 AM
radiologue

A lot of people don't know that Top Secret has optional vanes available for their diffusers. Here's a couple pics of the optional center fins on a TS diffuser for a Supra.

Now this diffuser would definitely do the job.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
radiologue

What huge gaping cavity??? It effectively covers the void where the factory muffler used to be if you're running dual exhaust. Please explain.

If the first diffuser you referrenced is like second vaned diffuser you talked about then I am wrong in my statements. I did not think the top secret diffuser you were first talking about would cover the dead space based on the provided pictures.

Last edited by radiologue; 02-13-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM
XKR

We forgive you ....

If the first diffuser you referrenced is like second vaned diffuser you talked about then I am wrong in my statements. I did not think the top secret diffuser you were first talking about would cover the dead space based on the provided pictures.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Oh, the first TS diffuser shown in the pics on the Z is similar to the TS diffuser for the Supra shown with the optional fins. Top Secret has essentially one design or style of diffuser that they size and fit for each specific make/model of vehicle. So they all share the same basic design.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by XKR
Kool.....

Thats right...Intense is a dealer......What price can they get the one in the pic for?? And what time line???
Give Intense a call. Darren or Pete can answer those questions better than me. Keep in mind that the one in the pics above is for a Supra. I can tell you that it will probably take several weeks to 3 months if they don't have it in stock. My TS hood and front bumper both took a while.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 02-13-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^ You have an authentic TS hood?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by George@GTM
^^ You have an authentic TS hood?
Yep. Check out the pics in my photo album.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 02-13-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
Kool.....

i just said that because there is no waiting time they have it in stock how do i know that well after i went to check on my car at gtm i gave them a visit at shine auto there like one block from gtm and i asked them about the same undertary he's only concern was the length of it .. i guess it might hit the suspension so u might cut it or maybe i could be wrong and it would be straight fitment.

any way am just trying to help
Old 02-15-2009, 07:43 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
I know some of you have seen the video that Cass posted....but I am shocked (as I am sure all you road racers on here are) That a world famous Japanese racer would make such a mistake as to lockup the rear end at such a high speed. You can see how it was down shifting like crazy...WHY???....there was no need...he could have made the car coast to a stop....
I thought it was a catastrophic tire failure that caused the crash....???
Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM
JS04

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
I thought it was a catastrophic tire failure that caused the crash....???
Yea, on the Option Z the driver rear tire just shredded apart, and that was all she wrote.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1