Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

I am Egyptian...what else can I say?

QUOTE=ToastZ;7568816]

Oh my,... wait, you know where Raj lives ? We all thought real doctors lived in top secret underground bunkers like,... well just like you [/QUOTE]

Thats Raj....he thinks he can hide

Originally Posted by rcdash
I've been waiting nearly two years to be spanked. If you come by my house though, I won't make you wait long bro' - no worries. I'll race you...

...to the stop sign at the end of my street.

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Hey Mike, you need to come on over to Nashville this weekend - time attack.
I made plans to go to GTM next weekend......Next time for sure......

Last edited by XKR; 07-20-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:44 PM
DanielW
Banned

I'm sure this has been discussed before but what are you guys expecting spool characteristics to be like on this?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by DanielW
I'm sure this has been discussed before but what are you guys expecting spool characteristics to be like on this?
Let me see if I can remember.....I THINK Sharif/Sam said somewhere in the 4000s.......

I am sure if I am wrong ...I will be corrected......

EDIT*** I just PM'ed Sharif......He said that on this setup it will start to spool right away.....BUT...picks up after 4000rpm and full boost by 5000rpms..

Last edited by XKR; 07-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:33 PM
DanielW
Banned

and what are you revving to?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by DanielW
and what are you revving to?

I think he is going to set it at 7500.....
Old 07-20-2009, 07:17 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looking good!

everyday I have to buy more and more small parts to prep for my new install. Mike you really dont know what you are missing! spending hours tryin to make sure you get everything in on one order and then a few days later realize you need more stuff. Its great!! LOL. I've ordered -an hoses and fittings 3x already. and now heat wrap, more relays, etc etc'

I think turn key shop installs are cheating
Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by str8dum1
looking good!

everyday I have to buy more and more small parts to prep for my new install. Mike you really dont know what you are missing! spending hours tryin to make sure you get everything in on one order and then a few days later realize you need more stuff. Its great!! LOL. I've ordered -an hoses and fittings 3x already. and now heat wrap, more relays, etc etc'

LOL.......I had Sharif order everything months in advance.....I know what you are saying.

Whats the update on your build?? It was rapped in plastic when I saw it.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good!

X2 on the small parts never ending. I wouldn't say shop builds are cheating though, If I could afford it my car would have been a shop build as well. After doing the work on my car I really respect the shops and the work they do.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
str8dum1

It funny becuase my buddy and I get into 'discussions' all the time about 'shop builds'. He's an american muscle guy with 2 built grand nationals and a sweet '64 buick with ~500 ft-lbs of trq at 2800 rpms. Of course he built all 3 cars himself. So his point of view is that all import guys are just check writers and not true 'motor heads'. I guess after a while that has kinda rubbed of and thats where the 'cheating' remark came from.

I does frustrate me a lil that he rebuilt his GN motor for under 800$ while to a similiar rebuild on a VQ runs about 5g in parts. And no matter how hard I try, I'll never beat one of his GNs. The run 10s with almost 1/2 the HP needed to make G run 10's
Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
XKR

I would not call it cheating.....I really would not know the first thing to do to build a motor.....I really only know how to drive them......If I knew how to do it, but still sent my car to a shop...then maybe you could call it cheating
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

It funny becuase my buddy and I get into 'discussions' all the time about 'shop builds'. He's an american muscle guy with 2 built grand nationals and a sweet '64 buick with ~500 ft-lbs of trq at 2800 rpms. Of course he built all 3 cars himself. So his point of view is that all import guys are just check writers and not true 'motor heads'. I guess after a while that has kinda rubbed of and thats where the 'cheating' remark came from.

I does frustrate me a lil that he rebuilt his GN motor for under 800$ while to a similiar rebuild on a VQ runs about 5g in parts. And no matter how hard I try, I'll never beat one of his GNs. The run 10s with almost 1/2 the HP needed to make G run 10's
So, to his point, if a toilet came w/ a 7L V8 and can be built in your living room for $1000 to make 1300whp and run 7.70s, it should be done because the counter point is that anything with modern technology is too pricey and too difficult to do and hence there's no point? Uh huh..

Most things that are easy to do aren't worth doing.

Darren(works in this industry... he should know)
Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 AM
str8dum1

You mean like the new Camaro LOL

no, his point is that you get to talking to most import guys and ask what have you done to your car and the answer boils down to 'nothing, i wrote a check.' Talk to alot of american muscle guys, and they themselves did most/all the work (restoration, rebuild, etc).
Thats just been my overall experience talking with people at the strip etc in the past 7 years of being in the scene, YMMV.

I guess it all depends on how you define a car enthusiast influences your idea of 'cheating' . There are guys that like wrenching and then there are guys they dont wanna mess with that and just want to drive. Both camps are fine because they both love cars!

And Darren,I guarantee your shop makes its living off the things that are "too easy" Theres not much money to be made in the hard stuff. And yes, if i was building a drag car, I would never start with a import platform. How many $10,000 checks were written to import guys on pinks You might call it easy, but i'd call it winning

Anyhow, back on topic with Mike's sick build!! Can't wait for more pics of how everything was heat wrapped and engine fitted in the car!

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-22-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
I think he is going to set it at 7500.....
Why so low? With turbos like that and Im assuming good cams, intake manifold, headwork (I havent read the entire thread) the car should make power to much higher. Why so crazy on the build and so conservative on the revs?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Alberto
Why so low? With turbos like that and Im assuming good cams, intake manifold, headwork (I havent read the entire thread) the car should make power to much higher. Why so crazy on the build and so conservative on the revs?
I am sure he will go much higher later....I said 7500 because I remember him saying thats where he would start...

this build has ....

GTM 4.0L Stroker NON Sleeved
Cosworth Heads
C8 Cams...( The same ones Tylar has)
Cosworth Intake...
GTM GT35r x 2

Sharif and Sam wants to have a 1000+ whp car.....So trust me...he will not baby it....My understanding is...the car will spend a looooong time on the dyno. Sam/George said that this motor was build to handle more than the 1000-1050 whp I wanted.....which is 300whp more than I need...I just like to have a 40-45% wiggle room .

ALSO....lets not forget "Phunk"/Charles custom intake...We may have to get one.....The cosworth intake may not be able to give us what we need...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gonna be nasty
Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't wait for the results. I'm still a little leary on the stock sleeves myself, but assuming the block itself holds together the sleeves are just a liner, and all should be ok.

You'll be giving me hope to turn the wick up some more on mine as well lol.

tom
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

I am Egyptian...what else can I say?
A little off topic but i wish shipping stuff from Egypt wasn't so effing expensive. They have such sweet Khalil Mamoon's
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no, his point is that you get to talking to most import guys and ask what have you done to your car and the answer boils down to 'nothing, i wrote a check.' Talk to alot of american muscle guys, and they themselves did most/all the work (restoration, rebuild, etc).
Thats just been my overall experience talking with people at the strip etc in the past 7 years of being in the scene, YMMV.

I guess it all depends on how you define a car enthusiast influences your idea of 'cheating' . There are guys that like wrenching and then there are guys they dont wanna mess with that and just want to drive. Both camps are fine because they both love cars!

And Darren,I guarantee your shop makes its living off the things that are "too easy" Theres not much money to be made in the hard stuff. And yes, if i was building a drag car, I would never start with a import platform. How many $10,000 checks were written to import guys on pinks You might call it easy, but i'd call it winning

Anyhow, back on topic with Mike's sick build!! Can't wait for more pics of how everything was heat wrapped and engine fitted in the car!
I'm sure as Z's and Vq internals become cheaper, More and more people will do thier own work. IMO, if i wanted to build my motor and go F/i, i'd want to do it right the first time than risk something i "missed"
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Alberto
Gonna be nasty
I hope not too nasty Berto....If you know what I mean

Originally Posted by thom000001
can't wait for the results. I'm still a little leary on the stock sleeves myself, but assuming the block itself holds together the sleeves are just a liner, and all should be ok.

You'll be giving me hope to turn the wick up some more on mine as well lol.

tom
I know what you are saying Tom....this is being done for you guys also.....this build should answer a few questions....I am hoping this build will become the norm soon.

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
A little off topic but i wish shipping stuff from Egypt wasn't so effing expensive. They have such sweet Khalil Mamoon's

Last edited by XKR; 07-22-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Not to take the thread too far off topic, but you're actually wrong here. I'm not going to post our builds, because this is a FP/GTM pro thread and I respect that/them. A little research will show you that the great majority of what we do is "outside of the box" and hence, not "easy".

Who says we make our money in the garage anyways?

Darren

P.S. -- tell your friend that one of the American cars we recently built from the ground up was a twin turbo Viper. It made 700whp on spring pressure (3psi..) and he drives it around w/ 1000whp and 1300ft/tq. Ask him why the owner didn't just build it in his garage.

Back on topic -- sorry Mike!!! Good luck with your new build!

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1