Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
...Thats next...

The GTM pipes cannot be used because of the FP twin oil cooler setup.....It was offered by Sam....but the coolers fit well in that spot.
glad to see the progress though...i must say....i also have 2 coolers, but it was all made to fit the turbo kit.... The bigger you get in piping the the more the challenge, and there for the more expensive.... I know thats not really an issue to you, but i wanna point out that its much easier to relocate, work around the oil cooler setup as the turbo kit take priority. Its like building cage around a sub-woofer box, when it should be the other way around.

Then again, its not like fitting a 3.5" DP from a front mount turbo, and your setup gives you more space..... i dunno, i am sure it will be HOT anyways.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
glad to see the progress though...i must say....i also have 2 coolers, but it was all made to fit the turbo kit.... The bigger you get in piping the the more the challenge, and there for the more expensive.... I know thats not really an issue to you, but i wanna point out that its much easier to relocate, work around the oil cooler setup as the turbo kit take priority. Its like building cage around a sub-woofer box, when it should be the other way around.

Then again, its not like fitting a 3.5" DP from a front mount turbo, and your setup gives you more space..... i dunno, i am sure it will be HOT anyways.
True....I know what you are saying.....from what I was told...it wont be that hard ......the pipes will travel in the same direction as it was before...just bigger piping....Sharif says there is lots of room.

Here is a pic of the oil cooler position.....

Here is how the old pipes were positioned.

You have to be up close to see them with bumper on....but I like where they sit because they get clean air.

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even coated, for Mike's application you absolutely want the heat shielding. Think about how much heat is there during one hard pull.....now multiply that by 1000 hard pulls (for this application)....can never have too much to help block the heat..

hell the guys doing the standing mile stuff make some serious shielding due to heat (even when coated) and thats for about 24 seconds of accelleration.

tom

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Mike,

Why didn't you ceramic coat the exhaust manifold instead of the using a heat shield?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:14 AM
GreenGoblin

Awesome pics Mike, I am glad she is coming together for you....
Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 AM
twin001

your car would loook great in my garage!

Very nice build.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:34 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Awesome pics Mike, I am glad she is coming together for you....
Thanks......come to ZdayZ....I will give you a ride in the Beast

Originally Posted by twin001
your car would loook great in my garage!

Very nice build.
For the right price...she can be yours next year

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:34 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, I just talked to Sharif about the oil return. I wanted him to use these weld on -AN fitting in the upper pan. He said it would be hard to place them by eye bc it might cause a funny angle, and I should just tap the upper pan (not my fav idea bc its thin and i hate NPT!).

But on your build you are just going straight to below oil level pan spacer. Wonder why he he suggested tapping my upper pan when apparently using the pan spacer is perfectly acceptable?

Looks great!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:43 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Interesting, I just talked to Sharif about the oil return. I wanted him to use these weld on -AN fitting in the upper pan. He said it would be hard to place them by eye bc it might cause a funny angle, and I should just tap the upper pan (not my fav idea bc its thin and i hate NPT!).

But on your build you are just going straight to below oil level pan spacer. Wonder why he he suggested tapping my upper pan when apparently using the pan spacer is perfectly acceptable?

Looks great!
Did he know that you have the oil pan spacer??
Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM
GreenGoblin

Mike, I will take you up on the ride at zdays. I will make sure to wear my depends so that I do not stain you seat.

I personally welded in my return fittings to my midpan I wanted it to drain above the oil level so that there would be no resistance on the oil return from the turbos.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
XKR

Mike, I will take you up on the ride at zdays. I will make sure to wear my depends so that I do not stain you seat.
I personally welded in my return fittings to my midpan I wanted it to drain above the oil level so that there would be no resistance on the oil return from the turbos.
Dont worry .... After the last time James was in my car...I started storing extras in the glove compartment

See you ate GdayZ

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by XKR
Dont worry .... After the last time James was in my car...I started storing extras in the glove compartment

See you ate GdayZ
Lol James was not as bad as Dil. . . Mike. . . mike. . .um. . . MIKE!!!( heading to end of runway at over 100mph lmao)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
Lol James was not as bad as Dil. . . Mike. . . mike. . .um. . . MIKE!!!( heading to end of runway at over 100mph lmao)
My bad......I was wrong ...it was Dil...Sorry James....
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by XKR
My bad......I was wrong ...it was Dil...Sorry James....
Although in all fairness Mike I think you almost soiled Sharif's G37 seat when Angela drove your car like she was having a seizure.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
Although in all fairness Mike I think you almost soiled Sharif's G37 seat when Angela drove your car like she was having a seizure.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
ToastZ

Smart move on both accounts.

Mike can drive.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Any updates Mike? I see you posted a 800whp dyno in FI top 25, was that old?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Any updates Mike? I see you posted a 800whp dyno in FI top 25, was that old?
Yeah Jay.... That was the old setup...I will have more update next week.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Ok, I was excited for nothing..
Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey XKR-

i can't believe i've missed this thread, i read through the first 20 or so pages and i decided i should post a reply.

As far as running a top speed sustained run, you will definitely need to think about not just the rear diffuser, but the overall aero shape of your car.

to reduce over drag, i would highly suggest the following:

1. Elongate the nose and tail sections of your car. That is why most of the superGT/ Super taiyku cars have such long fronts and rears is to make it more streamline for drag reduction. Think Cwest long nose/tail, Ings long nose/tail, nismo v3 long nose/tail. Air remains attached to a longer object, longer, this can help or hurt you, depending on where it is attaching to. you can achieve an overall lower drag coefficient with a longer body

2. you probably would want to minimize drag for a high speed run, and your wheels are probably the #1 cause of drag on the car, if the your tire is much wider than where the fenders cover (i.e. aggressive offset in which you can see the tread from the front of the car) you should create a fairing such that the front of the wheel is covered, and sweeps downward, so that air flow from the tire (which goes in the opposite direction of tire rotation) does not disrupt airflow underneath the car flowing in the right direction (i.e. toward the back). To reduce the opposite flow of air causes by wheel drag, you will notice that race cars have louvers/vents behind the wheel to allow the air to escape and flow back, instead of forward.

3. if you do no have a flat underbody, rake the car such that the front end is lower than the rear. to minimize the amount of airflow that will go underneath your car. the smaller front opening will reduce the amount of airflow if both front and rear of car is at same height.

4. Get lower side skirts. this will 'channel' airflow in one direction which is in from the front, and out only toward the rear, and not allow any airflow from the side of the car disrupt what is already heading toward the back.. i dont know if the silver state classic has any rules about extended side skirts, but a classic example is the chaparral race car in the 70s. it had a sliding skirt

5. as for the rear, if you can't move to a longer rear bumper, i would suggest modifying it so that you have vent holes in the back to release any air trapped so that it does not act like a parachute.. Even if you have the top secret rear diffuser there, air will most likely still be trapped there and since its not completely sealed off, vent the air with holes.

here is an example from the audi race car

6. i would suggest making your own sealable rear diffuser from the axel back at a 6 degree incline with strakes.. literally cut into the rear bumper and just have it go from the axle all the way to the rear of the bumper.

again, the audi race car

you'd probaby want to tuck the exhaust piping as high as possible into the frame and then create your flat underpanelling. you can use the alumalite stuff i stated in my front under tray DIY.

if you don't trust me, i highly suggest reading a few books before you start hacking:
these are great fundamentals, i have all these books and i've been studying these for quite sometime. a better help would be to goto your local university and ask if they have a society of automotive engineering group and ask to speak with the formula SAE team. those guys have access to student versions of ProE with CFD analysis tools that might assist you.

Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed by Joseph Katz
Competition Car Aerodynamics: A Practical Handbook by Simon McBeath
Competition Car Downforce: A Practical Guide by Simon McBeath
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by William Milliken

good luck!

Last edited by Chebosto; 08-24-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chebesto, I sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1