Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Semi-generic twin-turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by absurdparadox
Oh, I agree with you guys, my post was indeed half assed, and I apologize. Maybe I overreacted a bit, but I still stand by what I say, in terms of people not helping, etc.

Also, I never made the claim that I "knew more than everyone". I said probably, and half of the keyboard warriors in this thread. Based on those numbers, I am only claiming to be more knowledgeable than 3 people. :-P

Next time I'll be sure to assemble a research team, and draft up multiple versions off my thread, and run them by a technical writer, to ensure it is of the upmost quality.
glad to hear you understand your mistake and are working on improving.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 AM
rr_z33

Oh, I agree with you guys, my post was indeed half assed, and I apologize. Maybe I overreacted a bit, but I still stand by what I say, in terms of people not helping, etc.

Also, I never made the claim that I "knew more than everyone". I said probably, and half of the keyboard warriors in this thread. Based on those numbers, I am only claiming to be more knowledgeable than 3 people. :-P

Next time I'll be sure to assemble a research team, and draft up multiple versions off my thread, and run them by a technical writer, to ensure it is of the upmost quality.
actually the people that posted are quite knowledgeable. anyway you cant get a turbo kit without the turbos. that would kind of be an oxymoron? however a few kits SFR, GTM, JWT all give you options as to turbo sizing. next time really think before you post. then you wont get any useless responses and we wont get anymore useless threads.

also the greddy kit already comes with td05/18g turbos. so whats the point in going down to 18g? im guessing your thinking of getting some used evo turbos and slapping it on?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sounds about right.

And probably, and half really don't matter. Because every reader thinks they are a 'probably' and one of the 'half'.

Good luck and if I may: just buy a Greddy TT kit and be done with it.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
absurdparadox

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rr_z33
also the greddy kit already comes with td05/18g turbos. so whats the point in going down to 18g? im guessing your thinking of getting some used evo turbos and slapping it on?
Yeah, I mean, ideally what I would like to do is get all the piping/hardware to use whatever td05's I like, and then slap on some 16g's.

I don't have a built engine, so I would just like to shoot for ~400whp, and I think it could be done with something that would run more efficienty at that power level than an 18g. I'm willing to bet it could be done with 14b's, really, though honestly I haven't dived into comparing compression maps on the various turbos, related to CFM requirements for the power level. Working under an assumption here :-P.

To be honest, the main factor is simply cost, anyway. I would absolutely love to drop $5k on a kit, but its hard to justify, especially when gazillions of people are getting laid off. I'm in a pretty good place for now, but you never know, so just playing it safe a bit.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if u need to skimp that much, u r not financially ready to FI a NA car. plain and simple.

5g is barely enough for a used kit with no ems or fuel.

just buy a turbonetics kits for 3000$ and call it a day. you can run that at 400 hp no problem and the install is easy.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
absurdparadox

Originally Posted by str8dum1
if u need to skimp that much, u r not financially ready to FI a NA car. plain and simple.

5g is barely enough for a used kit with no ems or fuel.

just buy a turbonetics kits for 3000$ and call it a day. you can run that at 400 hp no problem and the install is easy.
Are you referring to a used kit, or can you seriously get a new kit for $3k retail? In the looking around I've done, aside from nitrous, all pre-built kits seem to be about $4800-$6000, new.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
rr_z33

Yeah, I mean, ideally what I would like to do is get all the piping/hardware to use whatever td05's I like, and then slap on some 16g's.

I don't have a built engine, so I would just like to shoot for ~400whp, and I think it could be done with something that would run more efficienty at that power level than an 18g. I'm willing to bet it could be done with 14b's, really, though honestly I haven't dived into comparing compression maps on the various turbos, related to CFM requirements for the power level. Working under an assumption here :-P.

To be honest, the main factor is simply cost, anyway. I would absolutely love to drop $5k on a kit, but its hard to justify, especially when gazillions of people are getting laid off. I'm in a pretty good place for now, but you never know, so just playing it safe a bit.
5k isnt enough to go turbo. theres so many other things that need to be addressed when going turbo.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:31 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you can't afford a used kit.. you can't afford the maintenance.. and you can't afford a new motor in the possiblity of your motor blowing..

motors blow anywhere from 310 whp to 500 whp.. you are not exempt to your motor blowing by running only 400 whp.. if your motor is weak.. your motor is weak and if you can't afford to replace it or don't have other options, then FI isn't the current option for you.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by doug
If you can't afford a used kit.. you can't afford the maintenance.. and you can't afford a new motor in the possiblity of your motor blowing..

motors blow anywhere from 310 whp to 500 whp.. you are not exempt to your motor blowing by running only 400 whp.. if your motor is weak.. your motor is weak and if you can't afford to replace it or don't have other options, then FI isn't the current option for you.
Doug speaks the Truth
Old 02-06-2009, 03:15 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There needs to be a disclaimer to post in the FI section!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Are you referring to a used kit, or can you seriously get a new kit for $3k retail? In the looking around I've done, aside from nitrous, all pre-built kits seem to be about $4800-$6000, new.
Again, I will try to help you out. The big concern about used kits are.... the turbos. If you have other turbos, which it seems you do, then the kit can basically be as beat as possible, as long as the IC is in good shape. Whats the worst that can happen, replace a waste gate or a pipe?

Just have Greddy verify that the turbo you have is a direct bolt up to the kit you want. I realize this may have been one of your original questions, but we here in F/I make it a habit of shying away from going smaller, now larger would have been a different story .
Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
rr_z33

Originally Posted by doug

+1, i cant wait to get started on my build. mess around see what i can do with a stock block car in Redline Time Attack but i do have a built motor sitting on the side once it comes time.

but if you cant afford a used kit then your done because if you cant buy the turbo kit then you cant buy the clutch, or the gauges, or fuel return.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

3. Give me some ****ing credit. I probably have more car-experience than half of keyboard-warriors you posting in this thread.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesus ****ing christ.
Yes my son?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Zstealth

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Yes my son?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I'm pretty sure the 3 bolt tdo5 flange is propriatary to Greddy.. I have never seen other hot sides that will bolt up. You need to look more into the t25 flange options... All other side mount tt kits for this car are t25. The only people selling only manifolds are for low mount turbos with t3 flange. Gtm or jwt are you only shot in hell at cast manifolds that put the turbos up there, and I doubt either of them will sell only manifolds... There is no money in selling a cast manifold that is worth $200 each.. They make them specifically so they can sell entire kits which can be profitable
Old 02-07-2009, 03:03 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by phunk
I'm pretty sure the 3 bolt tdo5 flange is propriatary to Greddy.. I have never seen other hot sides that will bolt up. You need to look more into the t25 flange options... All other side mount tt kits for this car are t25. The only people selling only manifolds are for low mount turbos with t3 flange. Gtm or jwt are you only shot in hell at cast manifolds that put the turbos up there, and I doubt either of them will sell only manifolds... There is no money in selling a cast manifold that is worth $200 each.. They make them specifically so they can sell entire kits which can be profitable
RE Greddy flange pattern. That sux.

I thought it was just a standard Mitsubishi flange pattern. I found Precision Turbo's which use the Mitsubishi flange pattern (e.g. M/N 5031RB TMH8-31) which are BB, as well as oil/water cooled. I thought those would mate to the Greddy exhaust manifolds. I even talked to Precision and the guy I talked to thought they could be used with the Greddy manifolds. If not, major Bummer.

GTM now lists their exhaust manifolds for sale, P/N SKU17185. They are $910 each. I think they just lowered the price on them. The last time I looked, I think they were closer to $1,000 each, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-07-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:27 PM
absurdparadox

Hah, I came back to this thread to ask exactly that -- if the td05 greddy's are REAL td05s, as I remembered them having a habit of making custom exhaust flanges. (Greddy still hasn't replied to my e-mail on this topic, unfortunately... hopefully they don't just send me pictures of dudes on fire...).

Thanks for more great info, guys.

This does make me wonder how well a kit would sell, if it were basically "BYOT". Something that were sort of a TD05 starter-kit... manifolds, plumbing, etc, and you supply your own 16gs (which may need to be "reclocked", etc) and electronics. I mean, if it were considerably cheaper, think of how many people could end up blowing their own motors! Good times! Woo!