Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Issue with stalling ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Car vs. Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, thanks again dude. Will call you on Monday.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had very similar problems with my UTEC/Vortech/JWT Flywheel/650cc Injector setup. The idle is slightly lopey and it will stall on occasion. I am going to spend more time working on the tune this year since I have better logging capabilities this year to help me out not to mention more time.

I have a feeling that I am going to need to switch to something like ProEFI and larger injectors soon given my power goals this year.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 AM
marra23

have exactly the same problems, check leaks, relearn but still the same. did you guys fit all these part simultaneously or separately bc i never thought of the flywheel. i fitted my fly wheel long before the utec and dw600 which was only fitted with the turbo. my problem started back with my s/c with built motor,ssv intake and proligth flywheel. but went away after relearn. now with 600cc,utec and battery disconnected for a while it's back and relearn doesn't work.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Car vs. Driver

I put my clutch and fw on before the SC and noticed the RPM's dip when coming to a stop, but it never stalled.

I'm also wondering if my clutch needs to be adjust as well, it feels a little notchy during shifts like I'm riding the synchro's. Maybe the clutch is sticking to the flywheel and not releasing properly ...

Anyone have a good DIY on adjusting the pedal?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 AM
marra23

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
I put my clutch and fw on before the SC and noticed the RPM's dip when coming to a stop, but it never stalled.

I'm also wondering if my clutch needs to be adjust as well, it feels a little notchy during shifts like I'm riding the synchro's. Maybe the clutch is sticking to the flywheel and not releasing properly ...

Anyone have a good DIY on adjusting the pedal?
my clutch also acting up, it's coming off tomorrow. i am now thinking of putting the stock flywheel back.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Most clutches need to be adjusted when installed on this platform. i have seen many many cars with messed up clutches due to not adjusting them correctly.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

I had the same problem myself. Even though I havnt installed my vortech yet..my car kept stalling. My rpms would take a dip down near " 0 " and then come back up.Like you mentioned. I brought it to nissan and the problem was that there was a lot of carbon dirt created into the throttle body.
The mechanic tried to reset my idle through the computer but it didnt work because of that ^.

Now my idle is perfect and no more dipping and stalling

worth a try.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Car vs. Driver

Had the TB off when I installed the vortech in November and cleaned it then, but I'll certainly check this weekend when I put my HFC's and new O2 sensors in.

So far ... here's my running list of things to do this weekend
1. Install HFC's and new rear O2 sensors to get inspected
2. Put test pipes back on after inspection
3. Check TB for carbon
4. Call Jeremy@Altered
5. Drink lots of beer
6. Rinse
7. Adjust clutch pedal (as soon as I figure out how)
8. Remove the turbo timer I have installed (don't ask)
9. Figure out why my battery keeps dying
10. Do donuts and big smokey burnouts

Meh ... thankfully I have the week off work to do all that, my landscaping and install a garage door opener on my second door. Plus whatever else my wife and kids rope me into.

Almost forgot, going tyo try that JWT vacume mod too.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:10 AM
marra23

my clutch plate's shot....also putting the stock flywheel back, i am going for 5 on your list and f*** the rest.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Car vs. Driver

I hear that man, beer will be flowing like a river over here starting tomorrow night when my week off work starts.

There's one more thing to add to my list though. I need to finish writing the code for my UTEC PC interface (think digital dash).
Old 04-17-2009, 12:09 AM
marra23

I'll be drowning myself in that river, inspection shows one of the fingers on the pressure plate cracked.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Car vs. Driver

Bummer. Time to upgrade!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^ good luck. Let me know about inspection!

chefj
Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM
civic4982

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
I had the same problem myself. Even though I havnt installed my vortech yet..my car kept stalling. My rpms would take a dip down near " 0 " and then come back up.Like you mentioned. I brought it to nissan and the problem was that there was a lot of carbon dirt created into the throttle body.
The mechanic tried to reset my idle through the computer but it didnt work because of that ^.

Now my idle is perfect and no more dipping and stalling

worth a try.
that's great I'm gonna try it today. sadly i'm having the same exact problem and my car doesn't have anything but headers and exhaust.

gonna do the relearn which will hopefully get rid of it.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Car vs. Driver

Nothing mechanical has worked yet. The only thing that actually did work was keeping the AC running

The car has still yet to pass inspection because of the CEL, even after replacing the rear O2 sensors and putting HFC's on (with new gaskets). I'm at the end of my rope with this car, I just can't bring myself to dump another $800 or whatever into it to get whateverthefook is wrong fixed for inspection.

Reflash? Retune? New EM? I dunno ... i'm seriously frustrated at this point.

Oh, and to top it all off, the passenger side header gasket is leaking too. At least that's what it sounds like.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:52 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can tell you for a fact that a light flywheel doesnt cause stalling. My FW is 11 pounds and never have that problem. If you think you have an exhaust leak, who knows what else might be wrong as well.

I know all to well how such huge excitement after your build can turn into frustration, as does most everyone in the FI forum. Not much you can do but dump more money into because it has to run.

good luck getting inspected!

Yeah, it's certainly because of my flywheel and vortech setup. The RPM's drop too fast before the ECU can compensate and it just stalls. Setting the idle higher will prevent the RPM's from dropping too far below 500 before it figures out what's happening.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Nothing mechanical has worked yet. The only thing that actually did work was keeping the AC running

The car has still yet to pass inspection because of the CEL, even after replacing the rear O2 sensors and putting HFC's on (with new gaskets). I'm at the end of my rope with this car, I just can't bring myself to dump another $800 or whatever into it to get whateverthefook is wrong fixed for inspection.

Reflash? Retune? New EM? I dunno ... i'm seriously frustrated at this point.

Oh, and to top it all off, the passenger side header gasket is leaking too. At least that's what it sounds like.
Sorry to hear dave.
Do u know what code u getting? B/c I didn't get any code wit that hfc, even previous owner.

Hummm I don't know what could be...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 AM
Car vs. Driver

Yeah ... it's a money pit and I'm just frustrated. I'll get it sorted out at some point, it just isn't a priority right now.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 PM
civic4982

so I took mine to the dealer and they did the Idle Air Relearning with the Consult II and I haven't stalled since. It did dip down a few times but didn't stall.

What is you guys' idle AFR? I recall mine being in the mid 14s before and all of a sudden now it is running in the 17s or 18s at idle.

Very strange. I'm not sure if my problem is fixed yet but I haven't stalled in the past hour of driving so I'll keep you updated if this fixed it.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:17 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

17/18 us way too lean at idle. it must sound like crap. when i was playin with my utec and leaned my idle out that much, it was all breaking up and you knew something was wrong without even looking at the AF meter

Quick Reply: Issue with stalling ...