Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech - help me overcome this new problem please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a stock revup z with stock pulley and just muffler replaced, i would expect right around 330-340whp depending on dyno, nowhere near 370-380 though with stock pulley and no breathing mods imo..
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Xendric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an email from Vortech. Apparently there is a hose in the engine that in stock form goes from the valve cover to the throttle body.

Then, when you install the Vortech, one end of this hose is connected to the air filter. Not sure where we should connect the other end. I know very little about engines, so I'm not sure what to tell my mechanic. Being Greek, doesn't make it any easier to translate things like valve cover or throttle body that Vortech's customer support told me.

What I know for sure is that today I noticed the fitting on the air filter while I was browsing the manual and I asked my mechanic about. He said there wasn't such fitting on my air filter. True or not, what matters is he hasn't connected any hose to the air filter, unless he didn't understand my question.

So, the important thing is - if he hasn't connected it to the air filter, can someone explain exactly what hose exactly we're talking about in stock form, and what we connect the air filter to?

Jamie at Vortech told me that if we haven't connected this right, it could warrant a loss of 1-2psi, which is exactly what we're missing here.

A photo of the hose in the engine bay would be VERY useful, because I'm completely noob at engine terms or how to translate them to Greek!
Old 03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Xendric
I just got an email from Vortech. Apparently there is a hose in the engine that in stock form goes from the valve cover to the throttle body.

Then, when you install the Vortech, one end of this hose is connected to the air filter. Not sure where we should connect the other end. I know very little about engines, so I'm not sure what to tell my mechanic. Being Greek, doesn't make it any easier to translate things like valve cover or throttle body that Vortech's customer support told me.

What I know for sure is that today I noticed the fitting on the air filter while I was browsing the manual and I asked my mechanic about. He said there wasn't such fitting on my air filter. True or not, what matters is he hasn't connected any hose to the air filter, unless he didn't understand my question.

So, the important thing is - if he hasn't connected it to the air filter, can someone explain exactly what hose exactly we're talking about in stock form, and what we connect the air filter to?

Jamie at Vortech told me that if we haven't connected this right, it could warrant a loss of 1-2psi, which is exactly what we're missing here.

A photo of the hose in the engine bay would be VERY useful, because I'm completely noob at engine terms or how to translate them to Greek!

wow well theres ur problem, if ur mechanic didn't figure that out, i would take my car and run...the filter should have been wrapped up with the line fitting and everything to adapt it to the stock line...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
tylerxfire

Default pics

i don't have any direct pics here on my computer i can take one tomorrow if nobody else puts one up...but in the pic that shows fthe blower from the top, u can see way to the left corner on the filter the fitting and the hose going down under, then in the pic from the bottom of the blower u can see the line running behind the braided oil feed line, that line runs to ur stock hose and there is an adapter to connect them, may or may not need to be trimmed for the right length..

i really don't see where ur stock hose would be though, i guess just hanging and not connected to anything or taken off, cause it must have came off ur intake and it attaches to in the back of motor under the throttle body kind of
Attached Thumbnails Vortech - help me overcome this new problem please!-blower-mounted.jpg   Vortech - help me overcome this new problem please!-oil-feed-line-with-blower-mounted.jpg  

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-16-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Xendric

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
oh i though u replaced the y pipe too, ok so u have from stock y pipe back replaced, which would make a little difference still, not much though..and i don't know if u think ur 3.12 is a upgrade to ur kit or not, but that 3.12 is the stock pulley on a rev-up kit, which is basically 8psi pulley on a stock z...so u should expect a little lower than 8psi imo with ur setup...no other breathing mods plenum spacer or anything?..did u try to retighten the belt more and try again? whats the weather there when u are checking ur boost levels? and is the gauge off possible u are checking with or are u logging boost on the computer or something? maybe that is off? throwin ideas out there
Yes, I know the 3.12 is the normal for the revup kit. I thought it should make 9psi, and this wasn't argued by the Vortech rep. No other breathing mod, completely stock.
So you're saying that with breathing mods my boost level will drop but I'll be making more power? What does it usually take to get 380whp on a generous dyno like the one I'm getting tuned on?

The belt is a Gates belt, one step shorter than what the kit came with. It's as tight as it'll go, it's like a guitar string now. I know this is not healthy for the pulley bearing, but until I find out what's wrong, I wanna be sure my belt is not slipping.

The weather is very cold here, around 5-10 oC (0 oC is about 32 F I think).

About the boost gauge... in short, my tuner logged a max boost of 5.34psi on the dyno at the redline. Then I plugged an AEM boost gauge and replaced the belt, fixed some very minor leaks, readjusted the BPV and plugged shut a hose that drives unburnt fuel fumes out of the intake plenum (not sure how to describe this better, sorry), as my mechanic found a leak there. Ever since, my boost gauge shows 6, possibly 7psi at redline.

I didn't have the chance to check if my AEM is off compared to the tuner's boost gauges, because we did some work on the car before we test ran it with the AEM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 PM
tylerxfire

Yes, I know the 3.12 is the normal for the revup kit. I thought it should make 9psi, and this wasn't argued by the Vortech rep. No other breathing mod, completely stock.
So you're saying that with breathing mods my boost level will drop but I'll be making more power? What does it usually take to get 380whp on a generous dyno like the one I'm getting tuned on?

The belt is a Gates belt, one step shorter than what the kit came with. It's as tight as it'll go, it's like a guitar string now. I know this is not healthy for the pulley bearing, but until I find out what's wrong, I wanna be sure my belt is not slipping.

The weather is very cold here, around 5-10 oC (0 oC is about 32 F I think).

About the boost gauge... in short, my tuner logged a max boost of 5.34psi on the dyno at the redline. Then I plugged an AEM boost gauge and replaced the belt, fixed some very minor leaks, readjusted the BPV and plugged shut a hose that drives unburnt fuel fumes out of the intake plenum (not sure how to describe this better, sorry), as my mechanic found a leak there. Ever since, my boost gauge shows 6, possibly 7psi at redline.

I didn't have the chance to check if my AEM is off compared to the tuner's boost gauges, because we did some work on the car before we test ran it with the AEM.

if that hose is not adapted and attached to ur air filter like i think u are saying that is ur problem look no further...is there any hose coming off ur air filter right now? or fitting or just nothing? or am i understanding wrong?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
tylerxfire

also i don't know about those dyno's as far as numbers read, but id say ud have to get bigger injectors possibly, not guaranteed, but for safety, and header, high flows, or test pipes and cat back, u could do it with stock pulley and full exhaust and plenum spacer and retune when u get this solved
Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Xendric

i don't have any direct pics here on my computer i can take one tomorrow if nobody else puts one up...but in the pic that shows fthe blower from the top, u can see way to the left corner on the filter the fitting and the hose going down under, then in the pic from the bottom of the blower u can see the line running behind the braided oil feed line, that line runs to ur stock hose and there is an adapter to connect them, may or may not need to be trimmed for the right length..

i really don't see where ur stock hose would be though, i guess just hanging and not connected to anything or taken off, cause it must have came off ur intake and it attaches to in the back of motor under the throttle body kind of
Tyler I really appreciate the help mate, but I'd like to know what this hose connects in stock form, and what it connects after you put the male to male adapter and the extra hose that comes with the kit.
Also, do I have to tap anything that is left open after this?

From what I've been told by vortech, this hose connects two things in stock form. When you get the kit, there is an extra hose and a male to male adapter wrapped with the air filter.
So, you take the stock hose off, put the adapter in, connect the extra hose to it, so now you have a longer hose with an adapter in the middle. The loose end goes to the air filter.
Where does the other end go? And what do I do with the "hole" that is left open and had one end of the stock hose on, when the car was stock?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Xendric

also i don't know about those dyno's as far as numbers read, but id say ud have to get bigger injectors possibly, not guaranteed, but for safety, and header, high flows, or test pipes and cat back, u could do it with stock pulley and full exhaust and plenum spacer and retune when u get this solved
I already have 600cc DW injectors, a Walbro pump and a Haltech to drive all this.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Xendric

if that hose is not adapted and attached to ur air filter like i think u are saying that is ur problem look no further...is there any hose coming off ur air filter right now? or fitting or just nothing? or am i understanding wrong?
Well, to be honest, I didn't look myself. I was just browsing the manual and asked the mechanic about it. He told he didn't put anything there. There is a chance he thought I was asking something else, so the only way to tell is by checking this tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it's after midnight here now, so I'll have to wait.

I think you're understanding this perfectly mate, I believe there is no hose coming out of my filter right now.

So I just need to figure out with you help, which stock hose I have to take off and adapt it to go to the air filter, what it connects the air filter to and what I should do with whatever part of the engine is left open after I take the stock hose off.

I really appreciate all the help bud
Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 PM
tylerxfire

Well, to be honest, I didn't look myself. I was just browsing the manual and asked the mechanic about it. He told he didn't put anything there. There is a chance he thought I was asking something else, so the only way to tell is by checking this tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it's after midnight here now, so I'll have to wait.

I think you're understanding this perfectly mate, I believe there is no hose coming out of my filter right now.

So I just need to figure out with you help, which stock hose I have to take off and adapt it to go to the air filter, what it connects the air filter to and what I should do with whatever part of the engine is left open after I take the stock hose off.

I really appreciate all the help bud

well when i bought my car it already had a injen intake, so im not sure about the stock airbox and where it connected on there...The hose connects directly to the back of ur motor near the fire wall just below the throttle body from factory and then connects into ur stock intake somewhere, now in the beginning steps the intake needs to be removed and that hose must have been disconnected and it is supposed to be left aside to connect later to the air filter provided with the adapter and hose and fitting into the air filter. Nothing needs to be blocked off, it is just like before the supercharger was on and it connected to the stock airbox or intake but now its longer and directs it to the air filter. let me know if i clarified it ok, i can try to re word if not..
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

once you unbolts the stock airbox, there is hose under the stock air tube. That's where hose has to connect to, also you have to cut that hose to fit.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Xendric

I believe you explained it perfectly, even for an idiot like me.
So in stock form, the hose connects somewhere in the back of the motor to the stock intake. And now I have to connect the same spot at the back of the motor to the Vortech air filter? And that's all, right?

I'll try to relay all this to the mechanic tomorrow.
I honestly HOPE he forgot to connect it, or didn't figure it out in the first place, because this would prove him a complete moron yes, but at least I'll have found a solution to this mess, because I cannot take this any more! LOL

Thank you so much bud, I'm gonna go sleep happily now!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Xendric

Originally Posted by Chef-J

once you unbolts the stock airbox, there is hose under the stock air tube. That's where hose has to connect to, also you have to cut that hose to fit.
Cheers Chef, that helped a lot. I believe I can locate the loose hose that he's probably forgotten all about...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
tylerxfire

Cheers Chef, that helped a lot. I believe I can locate the loose hose that he's probably forgotten all about...

im guessing he didn't totally disconnect it from the motor and that it is just sitting there somewhere, but i kinda find it hard to beleive u would just leave an unconnected hose laying there while buttoning the install up..so maybe he totally removed it from the back of the motor which i would not understand a logic in that. good luck and hopefully this is ur problem only thing is ur prolly gonna have to pull the pipes back off from the throttle body to the cast pipe to get in there and route and connect it and everything
Old 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Fleet Z

The hose being referred to is from the back of the driver's side valve cover to the air intake tube before the throttle body assembly. This hose acts as part of the PCV system allowing clean air to enter the crankcase when the PCV valve vents crankcase pressure.

With a Vortech supercharger, the hose is routed to the air filter mounted on the front of the supercharger rather than the intake tube.

Since this hose connection is before the supercharger, it would have no effect on boost pressure. If left disconnected from the air filter, the hole provided in the air filter could allow dirt and debris to enter the intake system.

I just installed a Vortech on my 2006 Rev-up and used a K&N crankcase breather filter on the driver's side valve cover and eliminated the connector/extended hose in the Vortech instructions. Also fabricated a cold air intake using another K&N filter to eliminate the "tight squeeze" cone filter shipped with the kit.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 PM
tylerxfire

id still try it and see where ur at...plus it needs to be hooked up anyway...also u are absolutely pos. the 3.12 is on right?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

No problem, i didn't understand at first too. But Tylerxfire helped me out and i figured myself to look Ztube. But seriously, how mechanic forgot to connect that hose?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Xendric

Bloody hell!

I woke up this morning hoping that the mechanic had screwed this up and a simple hose would solve the problem.

Guess what, his assistant had already done that during installation, so we're back to square one.

I'm planning to get the car back to the tuner today and make a couple of pulls on the dyno to check the boost. We're about 2psi over what we had last time on the dyno, sitting at 7psi now.

People here are saying the revup kit makes 8psi. I was under the impression that it was making 9psi, so the first time I called Vortech about this, I mentioned 9psi and they didn't deny it.

If the mark is indeed 8psi, then I guess there's nothing more to look for and I should get the car tuned. The AEM gauge I'm using doesn't show decimals, so I may be making 7.5psi now. Half a psi might be the price to pay for my Apexi ypipe-back exhaust.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother so much with boost, if I was making the expected power. The dyno I got tuned on only showed 330whp at 5psi. Granted, I never got fully tuned, as we stopped when we discovered 3-4psi missing. So the final tune might squeeze out a few extra horses. If I can get 370+ at 7+psi, I'll be happy. But it seems a little optimistic, and the dyno I'm refering to is believed to be on the generous side.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Xendric

One other thing we tried, to make sure we have the right pulley setup, is we asked Vortech how many turns the SC pulley will make for every full turn of the crank. They told me 3.61. But it's wrong. If the SC is spinning at 49k RPM at 7k engine speed, it's about 7/1, not 3.61/1.

We tested it today - for every full turn of the crank, we get about 1.8 turns on the SC pulley. And for every full turn of the SC pulley, we get about 3.66 turns on the impeller. So, 1.8 x 3.66 x 7,000 (engine speed) = 46,000 (impeller speed at redline).

It's still lower than the 49k I should be getting. Of course, the 1.8 might be off and it could have been 1.9. Or maybe the 3.65 was in fact 3.7. In that case, we'd be getting 49k.

Since the SC pulley / impeller gear ratio is fixed, can someone count how many turns their 32-teeth cog pulley on the SC makes for every full turn of the crank? Just make sure you have the 3.12" serp pulley.

I appreciate all the help you guys have offered so far, I really do!

Quick Reply: Vortech - help me overcome this new problem please!