Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech - help me overcome this new problem please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a 2.87 pulley, that should put you right @ what want as far as your boost level goes. I only suggest this since you have gone through everything else and made sure it's correct.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got things figured out. I was going to comment how that breather hose was irrelevant as to being connected or not. I just put a little air filter on the end of mine and there is no way you would lose any boost through that. One thing I did find on mine after my install and after my tune was a bolt missing on the bracket to my intercooler, I was losing about a pound of boost. I did the install myself so it was my own fault. I didn't realize that they drill all the way through the end cap of the intercooler when making these bolt holes. I know you did a pressure test so this shouldn't be a problem for you assuming that you pressurized before the intercooler. Did you see my "Homemade Boost Pressure Test Kit" in the DIY section? Did you do it the same way? I just thought I would throw that out there even though it sounds like you have checked about everything.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Xendric

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Glad you got things figured out. I was going to comment how that breather hose was irrelevant as to being connected or not. I just put a little air filter on the end of mine and there is no way you would lose any boost through that. One thing I did find on mine after my install and after my tune was a bolt missing on the bracket to my intercooler, I was losing about a pound of boost. I did the install myself so it was my own fault. I didn't realize that they drill all the way through the end cap of the intercooler when making these bolt holes. I know you did a pressure test so this shouldn't be a problem for you assuming that you pressurized before the intercooler. Did you see my "Homemade Boost Pressure Test Kit" in the DIY section? Did you do it the same way? I just thought I would throw that out there even though it sounds like you have checked about everything.
Yes, I've pressurized the intercooler independently for leaks, and then as a part of the whole ducting system. It's dead sealed right now. You DIY guide helped a lot, thanks for that.

ZUL8R, I've considered that option. I think the 2.87" pulley gives 1 psi higher boost compared to the 3.12". So it's something I might do down the road. It's just that I've always considered it as a more stressing option for my engine and can't make myself do it.

Maybe I should schedule for some breathing mods instead. If a full exhaust and plenum spacer could offer a substantial increase in HP, I wouldn't mind a lower boost. How much gain should I expect from a set of HFC, custom headers, aftermarket ypipe and plenum spacer over my stock setup?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by Xendric

ZUL8R, I've considered that option. I think the 2.87" pulley gives 1 psi higher boost compared to the 3.12". So it's something I might do down the road. It's just that I've always considered it as a more stressing option for my engine and can't make myself do it.
2.87 pulley is good for 11-12psi on the non-revup motors. It should put you right @ 9psi. No more stress than running a 3.12 @ 9psi which is what you are trying to do.

Intake and exhaust mods will def. help the engine breath and make your setup more efficient

Last edited by ZU L8R; 03-17-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Xendric

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
2.87 pulley is good for 11-12psi on the non-revup motors. It should put you right @ 9psi. No more stress than running a 3.12 @ 9psi which is what you are trying to do.

Intake and exhaust mods will def. help the engine breath and make your setup more efficient
I guess you're right.
Thanks for your input mate!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 AM
350Z400rwhp

I wouldn't do headers. Too hard to put in, expensive for quality ones and no solid evidence that it will give you any substantial hp gain and you may lose low end torque. You will lose even more boost by adding on more breathing mods so if you are only hitting 6psi or 7psi now, you will be at 5 or 6psi after. I know you want to find out the reason for your problems but it truly does sound like a jackshaft or gear ratio problem or who knows but maybe just add the 2.87 pulley and call it a day. Sure it doesn't sound like the right way to fix a problem but you would prolly be at your target boost level with it even with the breathing mods. The 2.87 won't stress your engine if you are still only ending up with 9psi. Again this doesn't find the source of your lack of boost but it might fix your problem.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Xendric

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
I wouldn't do headers. Too hard to put in, expensive for quality ones and no solid evidence that it will give you any substantial hp gain and you may lose low end torque. You will lose even more boost by adding on more breathing mods so if you are only hitting 6psi or 7psi now, you will be at 5 or 6psi after. I know you want to find out the reason for your problems but it truly does sound like a jackshaft or gear ratio problem or who knows but maybe just add the 2.87 pulley and call it a day. Sure it doesn't sound like the right way to fix a problem but you would prolly be at your target boost level with it even with the breathing mods. The 2.87 won't stress your engine if you are still only ending up with 9psi. Again this doesn't find the source of your lack of boost but it might fix your problem.
The only thing I'm really worried about, if I use the 2.87 pulley, is that I'll be revving the impeller above its limits (by about 300 RPM) on my revup.
Of course, that's if it's NOT a gear ratio issue now that won't let me spin it as fast as it should, in stock vortech form.

Assuming the pulley sizes I've listed are the correct ones for my setup, the only pulley that could mess it up is the crank pulley.

I bought my car used, so I'm not sure if the previous owner had ever changed the crank pulley from stock size. If he had put a smaller diameter crank pulley on, then there is a chance it doesn't spin my blower as fast as it should. Then again why on earth would anyone put a smaller one on?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

The only thing I'm really worried about, if I use the 2.87 pulley, is that I'll be revving the impeller above its limits (by about 300 RPM) on my revup.
Of course, that's if it's NOT a gear ratio issue now that won't let me spin it as fast as it should, in stock vortech form.

Assuming the pulley sizes I've listed are the correct ones for my setup, the only pulley that could mess it up is the crank pulley.

I bought my car used, so I'm not sure if the previous owner had ever changed the crank pulley from stock size. If he had put a smaller diameter crank pulley on, then there is a chance it doesn't spin my blower as fast as it should. Then again why on earth would anyone put a smaller one on?
Your mech. should be able to tell if there's an aftermarket pulley on it. Can you get a pic. If it's any color other than black it's aftermarket for sure. An aftermarket underdrive pulley would explain all your issues.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 AM
350Z400rwhp

You may of just solved your problem man! Someone would put a smaller crank pulley on to reduce the drag from the accessories and make the engine run more efficient. If you do have an aftermarket crank pulley just put the 2.87 on and call it a day.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing we tried, to make sure we have the right pulley setup, is we asked Vortech how many turns the SC pulley will make for every full turn of the crank. They told me 3.61. But it's wrong. If the SC is spinning at 49k RPM at 7k engine speed, it's about 7/1, not 3.61/1.

We tested it today - for every full turn of the crank, we get about 1.8 turns on the SC pulley. And for every full turn of the SC pulley, we get about 3.66 turns on the impeller. So, 1.8 x 3.66 x 7,000 (engine speed) = 46,000 (impeller speed at redline).

It's still lower than the 49k I should be getting. Of course, the 1.8 might be off and it could have been 1.9. Or maybe the 3.65 was in fact 3.7. In that case, we'd be getting 49k.

Since the SC pulley / impeller gear ratio is fixed, can someone count how many turns their 32-teeth cog pulley on the SC makes for every full turn of the crank? Just make sure you have the 3.12" serp pulley.

I appreciate all the help you guys have offered so far, I really do!

if u figure out the right pulley is on and u have tested for leaks and ur belt is tight, id say its all right...yes u are gonna lose a little boost with breathing mods, so if u hit 7.5 psi at redline id say ur about right.and 330whp untuned on stock pulley is def. about right, i though u were saying thats what u ended up with tuned, after tuning id say 350whp is where u will be..
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if theres a aftermarket crank pulley on ur car, then theres ur prolblm, u want that back to stock...and also u bought this kit new so u have warranty for 3 years, if u drop the pulley size u will void ur warranty with vortech..so id def. go for other mods to make up some power
Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Xendric

Not sure if the crank pulley is stock or aftermarket.
It's black indeed. What's the OUTSIDE diameter of the stock crank pulley on revups?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

It's black indeed. What's the OUTSIDE diameter of the stock crank pulley on revups?
I do remmeber it was 5.xx i forgot But i think all the model are same.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
05Z33

stock diameter is 5.75
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Xendric

Well, are we referring to the outside diameter of the pulley that the vortech belt goes?
Because there is also the one where the factory belt goes and also the part of it that is attached to the engine block.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where the serp belt for the blower/ps/water pump go, obviously

if you are not leaking and it appears your have the correct pulley combo, you are just chasing your tail. your #'s are what they are. boost is dependent on so many factors i wouldnt go chasing that # if you are mechanically sound.

some cars just make alot more/less HP than others. if you feel 100% about your tune and its fairly aggressive, then go with the 2.87 pulley and retune with that. sounds like the car has been thouroughly looked over. i'd just move on, or sell and put a turbo kit on it and not worry about pulley's etc..
Old 03-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Xendric

Welp...
It's all fixed guys. Turns out, when the engine got a little warmer, the sleeve connecting the SC to the duct got a little loose and was leaking pressure. Couldn't see that while pressurizing the system with cold air. Only did it when it got warmer.
I'm so relieved this is all fixed now and I can't thank you guys enough for all the help and advice you have offered.

The car made 400whp on the dyno yesterday, after I had it tuned. I'm happier than I thought I'd ever be after all I've gone through to make it work...

Old 03-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Congrat man! Finally!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

good to hear you got it figured out