Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Go Big Or Go Home!! PPIHC 928 '09

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Go Big Or Go Home!! PPIHC 928 '09

Pre-Note: I understand that this would normally be in the a different forum. However, given that I am part of the FI forum and others like to post crazy builds of other cars in here that are related to FI I figured it would be acceptable.

As many may know, I am the Crew Chief for 928 Motorsports. Keeping it simple, the crew at 928 Motorsports has made some huge changes this year to our Porsche 928 for the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb that I would like to share with you guys. The big changes are the following:
1) EFI Conversion from Mechanical Fuel Injection
a. 65lb injectors
b. Aeromotive rising rate FPR
c. Electromotive Tech GT Standalone Engine Management
d. Electromotive DFU ignition
e. Custom Billet Fuel Rails (made by myself)
2) Revised Supercharger Setup
a. Modified Super XB-1A headunit with 928M Billet BD-11 Impeller mated to it (modified by myself)
b. Improved Supercharger Intake
c. Custom made 8-rib crank pulley (made by myself)
3) Revised Intercooler Setup
a. Switched from air-to-water intercooler setup to air-to-air front mount intercooler setup.
4) Extensive Chassis Lightening
a. Sound deadening material removed from underbody
b. Light weight thin gauge exhaust w/o mufflers
c. Metal cutout where ever possible.
5) Improved Aerodynamics
a. New custom chin splitter dubbed the "Shinsplitter" and "Skinsplitter"
b. New carbon fiber adjustable wing
6) New Custom Intake Manifold w/ air bells inside

I'm sure I am forgetting a ton of things but these are the biggyies. Carl at 928 Motorsports along with the crew and I have put a ton of hours into this car over the winter. Racing season is upon us now in Wisconsin so we are excited to get this thing to the dyno in the next two weeks and then go racing!! Anyways, here is the real goods that makes this thread have some value

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:45 PM
BlinkerFluid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding!

Excellent fab work. How much power does it put down?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid
Outstanding!

Excellent fab work. How much power does it put down?
We don't know yet. But on our black 928 with a smaller blower and less mods we hit 420 wheel. We are hoping for mid 500whp reliably... maybe more
Old 04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

YOU GOT TO BE FA*KING KIDDING ME!!

awsome job quemen, i'm jealous...

chefj
Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM
35Z

Default 928 Supercharge Changes

2) Revised Supercharger Setup
a. Modified Super XB-1A headunit with 928M Billet BD-11 Impeller mated to it (modified by myself)
b. Improved Supercharger Intake
c. Custom made 8-rib crank pulley (made by myself)
3) Revised Intercooler Setup
a. Switched from air-to-water intercooler setup to air-to-air front mount intercooler setup.

Like the direct path from the supercharger to the intercooler however, why is the IC out to engine plumbed to the back side of the engine (heat/space issues)? Why did you switch from a air-to-water IC to an air-to-air IC? How much weight did the car drop with these changes? Does it handle better?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

I likey. Why did you guys use the older stlye 928 throttlebody instead of the S version which could have come in from the back? It looks like the air inlet is at the bottom of the plenum and if it just dumps into a big open space you can lose velocity.Just wondering. It is pretty trick *** 928 though.I have to admit though,I hate working on those damn things.Such a pain the *** but it looks like you guys made alot of changes that makes it much easier to work on.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool stuff, I'll be looking for you guys on the Peak this year.

Will
Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by TurboTim
I likey. Why did you guys use the older stlye 928 throttlebody instead of the S version which could have come in from the back? It looks like the air inlet is at the bottom of the plenum and if it just dumps into a big open space you can lose velocity.Just wondering. It is pretty trick *** 928 though.I have to admit though,I hate working on those damn things.Such a pain the *** but it looks like you guys made alot of changes that makes it much easier to work on.
We made a solid model of both this manifold and the stock manifold and put them through flow works to find out where we were losing pressure and or velocity. This was the best compromise we could come up with and was also based on have an air-to-water intercooler intially. However, mid way we switched to the air-to-air which basically defeated the purpose of the TB routing. However, the manifold was already made so we just left it. Especially since we have a stroked 32V waiting in the wings and this is actually our spare motor for testing of the Electromotive EMS. After PPIHC, the 6.4L 32V with a SCAT crank and our CNC ported heads will be going in to prepare for Bonneville next year.

In regards to working on the car I agree with you. The 928 is PITA. However, we have made the entire front end one piece and quick release. So if you want to do anything to the engine the car has to be worked in the manner shown above which is nice. We even did things like switch the oil cooler lines in the block from metric to AN fittings for ease of working on along with being able to replace stuff at races without carrying a ton of hard to find metric fittings around.

I will post some pictures of the inside of the intake manifold soon.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Quamen

Old Supercharger Setup

Intake Manifold

Removable Front Clip and Slicks:
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Quamen

Since you have worked on the 928 maybe you might recognize the "T" for the air filters as the factory center piece for the "pipe organ" intake manifold that was only avaliable in '85. It is quite a neat little piece actually.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quamen
Since you have worked on the 928 maybe you might recognize the "T" for the air filters as the factory center piece for the "pipe organ" intake manifold that was only avaliable in '85. It is quite a neat little piece actually.

The inside of the manifold is sick.Yes, it is hard to miss those two huge airfilters. Wont have to worry about starving for air with those suckers. I only worked on a few of them. We were going to do a twin turbo system for the 928 about 10 years ago but there was really not much interest so we scrapped the idea.

For anyone that doenst know about the 928.That is one plush *** car from the factory with decent power out of the V8. The look of the shark is well not for everyone but the interior of the S4 and GTS is so incredible, it makes are plastic interior Nissans feel like Yugos.

If you guys run into any issues or troubles with the TECGT, let me know. I have been tuning those for many,many years (since the TEC2 LOL)and know alot of little secrets.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Quamen

The inside of the manifold is sick.Yes, it is hard to miss those two huge airfilters. Wont have to worry about starving for air with those suckers. I only worked on a few of them. We were going to do a twin turbo system for the 928 about 10 years ago but there was really not much interest so we scrapped the idea.

For anyone that doenst know about the 928.That is one plush *** car from the factory with decent power out of the V8. The look of the shark is well not for everyone but the interior of the S4 and GTS is so incredible, it makes are plastic interior Nissans feel like Yugos.

If you guys run into any issues or troubles with the TECGT, let me know. I have been tuning those for many,many years (since the TEC2 LOL)and know alot of little secrets.

Pictures of the lightly modified interior:

I wish the Z could look this good gutted...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
CUL8ER

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty slick, from one 80's tricked out Porsche owner to another nice job!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
galant350z

you insane!!! bow to you sir.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:03 PM
WP350z

Damn Good Job!
thats so sickkkkk!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:03 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so nice
Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wow that car is sick
Old 04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
wannabuy350z

wow, amazing...
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a really nice setup you have put together. More excited to see vids of it in action!!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:54 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Looks like a really nice setup you have put together. More excited to see vids of it in action!!
Should have some videos of Road America very soon!

Quick Reply: Go Big Or Go Home!! PPIHC 928 '09