Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Which turbo is a better unit??
Turbonetics GTK Series
23.08%
Garrett GT series
76.92%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

GTK vs GT series turbo's

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh... The Turbonetics GT-K is old news. IIRC, nobody on the forums except taurran has made anything over 500whp with one anyway.

Precision turbos with billet compressor wheels are the new hotness!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Laps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is he the guy who modified the TN kit and and replaced the turbo with GTK series??

LOL

thats not how to do it, start from scratch and do it properly is the way
Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
TrackPack

I cant believe this is even a debate! Come one guys, turbonetics or HONEYWELL/GARRETT!!!

what next.... comp vs. BORG!

I've seen T-netic's break the shaft at the comp wheel! I have one at the shop that self destructed, I can take pics, they are toilets. I've yet to see a garrett die from traditional use.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 PM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Meh... The Turbonetics GT-K is old news. IIRC, nobody on the forums except taurran has made anything over 500whp with one anyway.

Precision turbos with billet compressor wheels are the new hotness!
I gotta GTK-650 on my TN kit. I bought IllBZNU's kit. So far so good. Next few months we're gonna up the boost and see how things go.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 PM
JS04

Originally Posted by Laps
Is he the guy who modified the TN kit and and replaced the turbo with GTK series??

LOL

thats not how to do it, start from scratch and do it properly is the way
It was basically a completly different kit after it was done. He even said that in his thread.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Laps

Trackpack- we see garretts breaking all the time in Australia, 95% of turbo cars are garretts though, there great turbo dont get me wrong but to say they never break is a bit much

GTK series also look cool LOL

JSO4- it was a modified turbonetics kit, with upgraded parts and some pipeing, not a different kit at all. A total custom setup from scratch done properly and you might be surprised at the outcome, but again it comes down to what your goals are, and buying a kit from the states for us downunder is not very cost effective atm, and even a APS kit which are from Australia are overpriced, explain that one??

Last edited by Laps; 04-23-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM
TrackPack

I simply stated that "I" havent seen any break yet, and have seen turbonetics break, plus you confirm that 95% of the cars out there run them so sure 1 in a million might fail vs 100% fail rate of the 'netics

I'm joking but please please dont rate turbo's on there appearance!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 AM
Laps

You guys all just hate TN's with a passion LOL, there rare in Australia GTK's cost a mint compared to a garrett here too, Ill be giving a couple of there GTK1000's a big workout very soon and i think after playing around with there smaller series they have got a good unit now that can hold its own against there competition IMO
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
JS04

Originally Posted by Laps
Trackpack- we see garretts breaking all the time in Australia, 95% of turbo cars are garretts though, there great turbo dont get me wrong but to say they never break is a bit much

GTK series also look cool LOL

JSO4- it was a modified turbonetics kit, with upgraded parts and some pipeing, not a different kit at all. A total custom setup from scratch done properly and you might be surprised at the outcome, but again it comes down to what your goals are, and buying a kit from the states for us downunder is not very cost effective atm, and even a APS kit which are from Australia are overpriced, explain that one??
The layout was the same, however the charge pipings, downpipe, exhaust piping were different. Me and Craig had a discussion about his setup before he went public in his thread. He brought up a good point that the kit was still bottle necking even with the new dp and exhaust piping. Which would lead to the uppipe to the turbo being the main issue. I would really like to see what the uppipe on the powerlab kit looks like. However this is off topic. This is about Garret vs GTK turbos. I've read on supra forums about some people trying out the GTK turbos. They've loved them so far. Once I max out my kit I'll probably have my tuner make me a custom kit. I got faith in him since he did a custom setup on my buddies S2k. Ya know the one with the downpipe coming out of the fender. You might have seen it on youtube.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Laps

Custom setup all the way
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Boostguru

Originally Posted by Glex25
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-obPUf1jAoQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-obPUf1jAoQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fast and furious style
hehe. thats mike b from colorado, i was always a fan of his car before the paint. used to be red :/ his cars pretty serious otherwise.

anyways, carry on with the thread
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Laps

I thought this thread was done and dusted, anyway you will be seeing a single custom GTK1000 350z from downunder that should be one to watch, More to come very soon but not here in a new thread once the cars back in my fabriactors hands, its going to be fun, did i mention its a ZR, imagine that ZR with over 1000rwhp that would be cool

cheers Laps