Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Powerlab GT35R Kit Build in process...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great start on the build, but I just hate the pipe routing with these kits. That's got to rattle and the heat under the hood has to get up there too. I know with my kit, the exhaust temps get to 1400deg F at WOT. I can't imagine how hot it would get under the hood.

I hope you are doing things in stages. When you go to start the car for the first time if you have problems (and I hope you don't) where do you start trouble shooting? I split my build in half, installed all the turbo stuff, pipes, turbo, IC piping, IC ...ect and then got the car running. After going through everything finding no probelmes, I moved to the Haltech, fuel, wiring, gagues..esct. Jut something to keep in mind I guess.

Good luck with the build.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Making progress...
Old 04-26-2009, 03:45 AM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good!! My setup is 02,02, then wideband on the DP
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
gotagetmyZ

Thanks for posting pics and progress reports. I should start my install hopefully today or tomorrow. I came down with a stomach virus and have been down for the last few days.

Keep the pics and comments coming! I like the heat wrap action you got going. Do you think it made it much more difficult to install because of it? Should I wait to heat wrap after? For better wrapping I'll do it before like you.

DRock
Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM
808_enthusiastZ

heat wrapping the pipes makes it a bit more harder to install the kit.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HEADS-UP!!!

Last Pic on page 1 is very deceptive. It almost looks like the fitting for the oil feed is clocked towards the right fender. That should be more towards the top of the turbo. I remember seeing Jeffie's build and the turbo was clocked at a slight angle tilting to the right, but your photo looks like it is at a complete 90 degree rotated to the right. Can you confirm that the water feeds are on the sides of the turbo and the oil feed is on top before you continue.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin' good so far jamin! Thanks for keeping up with the build pictures, please keep them as detailed as possible for my build in a few weeks!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
jaminkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not the final position of the turbo. Its in there lose so I can run it to tighten the bolts and install fittings as I go. Will not be in that position as shown in final pic.
Originally Posted by rrmedicx
HEADS-UP!!!

Last Pic on page 1 is very deceptive. It almost looks like the fitting for the oil feed is clocked towards the right fender. That should be more towards the top of the turbo. I remember seeing Jeffie's build and the turbo was clocked at a slight angle tilting to the right, but your photo looks like it is at a complete 90 degree rotated to the right. Can you confirm that the water feeds are on the sides of the turbo and the oil feed is on top before you continue.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 AM
leg killa

good job man...+1 on keeping us posted..i want that same kit so yeah..you being detailed will be much appreciated
Old 05-17-2009, 07:33 PM
jaminkid

Finally got done. Had few set backs but I pulled through. Enjoyed the experience installing it but it sucks doing it by yourself with only a set of rhino rams and two sissor jacks and a small azz one car garage. I only have pics of the engine as it is impossible to get underneath and take pics. Once I take it to my local mechanic I'll have some pics of the bottom plus a diff cooler kit I installed this weekend too. But being lowered and limit tools to lift the car made the exhaust seemed impossible to bolt up due to lack of leverage. But just had the patience. But getting those clamps take time.
The big set back I had was when I had the up pipes, down pipes, turbo, basically everything in sequence then I broke the big AC line. Tried to kinda move it out the way to clear the downpipe and it just snapped in half. Then waited a lil to get a replacement from Intense.
But...finally got everything done today (all night Saturday). Started on first turn of the key, without even delay. Let it warmed up then I started smelling smoke. Turned out my heat wrapped up pipe was rubbing on the AC compressor belt. So I had to cut that off and adjust the pipe. Other than that no leaks anywhere. However, idle is a little rough. But doesn't shut off unless you blip the trottle a little bit to rev then you have to keep doing it till it eventually starts idling ok. Sounds like I have exhaust leaks. But I tightened and tightened and tightened the clamps (everything is flush and bolted) and sounds a lil better but still noticable. I'll check wastegate clamps and crossover pipe bolts tomorrow. My exhaust needs to be adjusted to fit properly (AAM Single/GT Spec brace). Also smelling a lot of smoke...its not pooring out the exhaust but I can smell the mixture of gas and smoke. Back to work tomorrow. Will do a few more adjustments.... Did the throttle position learning thing and also reset the ECU (got it on the first try). lol
Other than that Im happy everything turned out ok. Just I drive yet...Took me a little longer than I thought but I'll be happy with the results after I get a tune.<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>
Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^ sweet man!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Junior_PR

nice bro! happy to see it all done! enjoy!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 AM
jaminkid

^^thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Nothing beats turning the key after a DIY.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:42 AM
jaminkid

I know. It started real quick like nothing happened but just sounds different.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 AM
SoarVigor

Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 AM
tiguy99

Its ALIVE its ALIVE haha

Congrats bro. What's the black box on top of your dash called? Its the one projecting the blue LED #s.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 AM
jaminkid

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Its ALIVE its ALIVE haha

Congrats bro. What's the black box on top of your dash called? Its the one projecting the blue LED #s.
It's the Defi VSD X. I have it linked with the other Defi gauges and so far it will show speed, rpm, oil p & t, water t, exaust t ect.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM
tiguy99

Does it project like a hologram type image on the windshield? It kinda looks like it in your video. I think its pretty cool

Quick Reply: Another Powerlab GT35R Kit Build in process...