Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fixing A Rear Main Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hate to say it, but its a huge pain in the *** to do it right.

i was lucky on all customer cars to never have a problem, but 3 in a row on my own personal car i have had an issue with. i replaced it twice in the last 3 years and now i just deal with it because i dont care to do it again until my next build.

each time on removal, i found that part of the rear seal folded over and tore. I was extremely extremely careful both times i replaced it to make sure that it didnt happen again, but somehow it did. i have a small trail of oil running down under my car that i pressure wash off every so often... its not bad enough to get my clutch wet or require me to add oil inbetween changes, so i just let it leak.

removing the upper pan with the engine in the car means taking out the steering rack and crossmember and supporting the engine from the top... its to the point of where i would rather just pull the engine if i were to do it inbetween rebuilds again.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I dont. I just wanted to know what to look for. Im always taking notes. LOL
Old 04-27-2009, 03:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ha, when i had to replace my upper pan, i had to do it twice bc of that leaking seal. extra RTV over the entire seal and not just the edges like in the FSM fixed it the 2nd time.

I was able to get the upper pan off in less than an hour the 2nd time around, all from under the car on jack stands.

the black seal goes down in the arc. you can see the oil in the middle of the arc where it was leaking and how I followed the FSM and only RTV'd the edges. full coverage the 2nd time and no leaks.

Last edited by str8dum1; 04-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fresh built motor also had rear main seal leak.. Initially I had a very small leak, but it got worse and started to leave oil puddle overnight.. Also, it was leaking more when I drove hard. So, I ended up taking out the tranny and the upper oil pan to replace it.. Pain in the @$$ but it was worth it.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it the rear main seal or was it the upper oil pan seal that was leaking?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you discover it, did you look in the inspection port for the tranny and it was inside?, Mine was the upper pan leaking from the devil seal, if you do it the way the service manual tells you it will leak, I used a lot to make sure it would not leak the second time around.

Last edited by GreenGoblin; 04-28-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
How did you discover it, did you look in the inspection port for the tranny and it was inside?, Mine was the upper pan leaking from the devil seal, if you do it the way the service manual tells you it will leak, I used a lot to make sure it would not leak the second time around.
saw a thin film of oil sitting at the seam of the tranny/block mating surface after running the engine for a bit.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 AM
coachk
Banned

UPDATE PLEASE..............will the car be ready for this weekend?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM
JETPILOT

Sorrry Coach.... I will be another no show. June 13th fo sho.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
boostintt

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that sucks brother!!! im on the final steps on my build.. hoping to make it to Z days!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Sorrry Coach.... I will be another no show. June 13th fo sho.
WTF? I thought it was all good except for a tiny rear main seal problem?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
JETPILOT

On my end..... Japtrix still has to install and tune the F-CON. Due to a scheduling issue Japtrix was unable to start on the car when I driopped it off Monday.

I am upset I can't make it to the track too. That's another $375 out the window for a non refundable track deposit.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
rrmedicx

WTF? why couldn't they spend the 3-4 hours out of 1 week to help you out? That sucks!!! Especially when I am sure you told them you were on a very tight schedule to begin with.
I know the feeling of money down the drain. But the good news is they had better make up for it with a slammin tune! Lets hope!!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cant you 'sell' your track time to someone else?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
WTF? why couldn't they spend the 3-4 hours out of 1 week to help you out? That sucks!!! Especially when I am sure you told them you were on a very tight schedule to begin with.
I know the feeling of money down the drain. But the good news is they had better make up for it with a slammin tune! Lets hope!!
I had made 3 previous appointments prior to Monday's and had to cancel them all on short notice. So even though my appointment was Monday I guess they just assumed I would cancel again. But it would have been nice to get a phone call telling me that they couldn't start on it til thursday, then I would have had 3 more days to get that stuff done. But that's the way it turned out.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM
lopez661

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the thread!

I'm attempting a rather challenging job (or so I think) for a newbie....I figure, if I have the tools, space, and patience I should be able to do the job....

I am trying to change the rear main seal on my 05 g35 6mt...I assume its the same as the 350z's, right???

Well, I know I have to drop the upper oil pan...took a while just to research and figure out what that is,lol...well, I have taken off all the bolts...So, do I have to remove it completely??? like take it out and place it on a table so I can clean it and put new RTV????

If I were to drop it just enough to slip the the new rear oil seal/casing....could I just tighten the bolts back up??? Or would the RTV on the upper need to be replaced??? It doesn't seem like something that can be done with the upper oil pan just hanging there....

I appreciate everyones help!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 PM
phunk2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you dont want to risk it, its too much work to go back in. take it all the way out and clean the block and pan and apply new RTV everywhere that is required.

should only take a hour to clean the old stuff off and prep the upper pan and block for fresh reseal.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM
phunk2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you read my post from several years ago at the top of this page... the problem seems to be resolved. The buyer of my car changed the rear seal and improved the flow of the PCV system. So far, it hasnt leaked on him. We assume that excessive PCV pressure from a stock PCV system was blowing the rear seal out.