Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ongoing idle problems with vortech

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:07 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drumminguy81
i have not checked the afr from the ss box yet i will try to get some data logs this weekend to post up.. my wideband reads between 14.5 and 15.5 at idle though im not sure how accurate that is.. my vacuum usually reads between 18 and 20 lbs at idle.and doesnt seem to change any when the idle is rough.. i have the aem uego not sure if it is normal but sometimes when i come to a stop or if i rev the engine the a/f goes up to like 18 or so then drops back to 14/15 and sometimes it will go down to 10 and back up.. it seems really finicky.. is that normal.. looks like im going to be getting a tune and going from there..
its normal for the gauge to do that when u let off...should go lower numbers when u are on it, then when u let off will for a split second go way up
Old 04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how my idle. Sometimes more rough than that, sometimes doesn't.

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=56635654">Idle</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=56635654,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycol or="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=56635654,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycol or=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"/></object>
Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ya, something wrong there. And you are sure you dont any vacuum leaks?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I don't really think so.... It started happen when it was really hot ( couple weeks ago when i got to TX) So at that time i thought it was just too hot. And not long ago, i did boost leak test and all the vacuum leak check at local shop when i went to go test my boost gauge. No issue at that time. And...humm... when i fixed A/C line...all i can think about is intake hose was little bust ( but not bad at all ) And i had to move the pipe behind the blower at that time, but i did check the couplers couple days ago ( when i played with BPV )
looks all good to me...It's getting worst and worst..i gotta find a way to fix this...
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
drumminguy81

wow are you sure that wasnt my car!? that is exactly what is going on with mine! looks like we have the same problem.. mine wont start doing it until the car is fully warmed up after driving a few min. on a cold start it is fine, the other odd thing is when the a/c is on it doesnt seem to do it either.. have you tried turning the a/c on to see if yours does?

Last edited by drumminguy81; 04-29-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 that's not normal and it should not happen even if it's hot or cold.

U might want to redo your vacuum lines and zip tie each end to be sure there's no leaks. Also u should check to see if the plenum is tight or if the oil cap seal isn't caught in between the spacers.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by drumminguy81
wow are you sure that wasnt my car!? that is exactly what is going on with mine! looks like we have the same problem.. mine wont start doing it until the car is fully warmed up after driving a few min. on a cold start it is fine, the other odd thing is when the a/c is on it doesnt seem to do it either.. have you tried turning the a/c on to see if yours does?
Sometimes good sometimes more worst even with a/c on or not. Hal ( who tuned my car ) is trying to working with me but too far away and we didn't have a time to really sit and fix this thing out... We'll see tho. I'm kinda understanding why this is happening tho. I just need to log on to utec...god damm this connect thing not helping me..
Old 04-30-2009, 03:50 AM
frankie945

Back when I first installed my procharger I had the exact idle problem like ur vid chef. Charles at automotion thought I had cams. We tuned it, idle was still going up and down. He thought it was a vaccum leak causing it. But after a few weeks of driving it just went away. Has only done that a few times since. Even after haltech install and tune. One afternoon the idle started to jump up and down I was like damn not this again but the next day it was fine and has been fine. The only thing I can think it could be im probably wrong. But i think Having a fuel return would help with this problem. Because u can set ur pressure at idle and it stays constant at idle. Thats just a thought.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

I have the same problem. mine goes up and down too.. wtf. also when I rev the car.. and the revs go down it like stops for a 1 sec and then goes back down. is that normal?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:47 AM
str8dum1

none of that is normal. Its should idle just like stock. there is no reason why your non-return fuel pressure wouldnt stay absolutely steady at idle, unless you had a really bad voltage problem causing the pump to surge.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 AM
frankie945

That may be true. My fuel pump since day 1 of install.You can here it change tones sometimes. Really weird. It probably is a power surge in my case.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

my walbro is pretty loud compared to stock
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 AM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

At idle, the stock ECU is in control. You can scale to some degree in column 0, but idling problems are most likely something else. you are seeing a solid -20mmHg at idle right?

erratic idle is often a vacuum leak. And yes, if you tune with a leak, you'll need to be retuned after its fixed. A vacuum leak also means a boost leak, and who knows how much more boost you might pick up after repair.
The Stock ECU is trying to Control AFR @ Idle, But if the the Values in the SS Box too HI or too Low ( out of range that the O2 sensors can Read) then the Stock Ecu will be Trying to correct and you will have an erratic Idle. But you Must Verify that everything is installed correctly.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
I have the same problem. mine goes up and down too.. wtf. also when I rev the car.. and the revs go down it like stops for a 1 sec and then goes back down. is that normal?
RPM stop for a sec? i have no idea man, sounds not good. What injector did you install?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

utec and DW 600cc ^
Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by frankie945
Back when I first installed my procharger I had the exact idle problem like ur vid chef. Charles at automotion thought I had cams. We tuned it, idle was still going up and down. He thought it was a vaccum leak causing it. But after a few weeks of driving it just went away. Has only done that a few times since. Even after haltech install and tune. One afternoon the idle started to jump up and down I was like damn not this again but the next day it was fine and has been fine. The only thing I can think it could be im probably wrong. But i think Having a fuel return would help with this problem. Because u can set ur pressure at idle and it stays constant at idle. Thats just a thought.
Yea, i do hear some members running haltech and have rough idle too. I'm assuming that it's something to do with fuel timming.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
utec and DW 600cc ^
That's wwhat i'im running too. But i don't know why yours stop for second. Did you ask tuner about that? i'm guess need little adjust on utec.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 AM
frankie945

Idle is good with Haltech. I was refering when I was using the utec. It seemed to happen a lot more. That was with the procharger kit and the TN kit both kits still had idle jumping around. Procharger seemed worse then TN kit. So far everything has been good since I switched EMS. And raised idle.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:34 AM
str8dum1

my car idles fine with 600cc injectors with no UTEC. Your trim values would have to soo out of whack it would be very obvious on your AF gauge.

When I started making a NA map, I had my 0% column too lean and the idle was all over, but it was also a 17-18 AFR. anything close to 15 and you can rule out the 0% column trims.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

I gotta hook up my aem wideband. My afr on WOT in dyno was around 11.2. What should the afr at idle be? 14-15?

Quick Reply: ongoing idle problems with vortech