Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ultimate Racing Twin-Turbo Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:50 PM
AL350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice reference spazpilot, i really did not know Greddy was goin to use external wastegates.

Greddy twin Turbo kit=$7000 w/Mitsubishi turbos

Ultimate twin Turbokit=$6000 w/Garrett turbos

Sold, our new low price leader is Ultimate Racing. Ok, now who's going to make it to the market first. 1812 Overture.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:05 PM
G3po

Default TT kit

Will need a TT setup in for G35 6MT coupe in late 2005. The kit's gotta meet CARB (or in porcess) at least in it's mildest form for me to buy. Needs to have enough headroom to support eventual upgraded of internals , 8.5:1, forged part etc. to (14-18psi). At this point Greddy seems most likely to me unless you have some significant twist.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:52 PM
spazpilot

AL350Z

here is the link about the greddy turbo kit. Looks like there kit will be 6k too. so I am with you. It depends on who gets there kit out first too me. Both sound real appealing to me and someone with a TT kit will get my money. PE won't only because of the fact that they are using actuators instead of external wastegates. thats a cheap way out if you ask me and retail is set at 7900.00

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0307tur_350z/

G3po

I would not worry about the turbos, almost all the kits that are coming out will be able to achieve enough rwhp to satisfy you needs even with a built block. the smaller turbo will produce a more linear hp while the bigger turbo will have lag but produce major torque. all depends on what you are looking for
Old 09-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Enron Exec

How about a TT set with a electro magnetic clutch to engage or disengage the turbos?

Or how about a TT with a small spool that will provide some power mid range and a larger spool that will peak up higher.

Or a combination of both? A TT kit with the small spool on all the time providing around 7psi and then a electromagnetic clutch that engages the 2nd larger spool for big power at a flick of the switch. You could offer the 2nd spool set up with upgrades to the engine as an option or stage 2 TT kit.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Racing

Hey thanks for the replies guys!

I'd like to say a few things. First off, although it was bound to happen, I would rather not have our kit compared to kits like Greddy. The two are similar in some ways, but very different in others.

For one, I would never, ever suggest running a turbo setup on a naturally aspirated car without the use of an Intercooler. If you plan to do it in steps, I would rather you guys save up until you had enough for a complete kit.

Next, Greddy kits use tube and fin style intercoolers. We have always (and will always) use bar and plate style intercoolers which have been proven numerous times to provide more cooling efficiency and less pressure drop. Tube and fin intercoolers are very cheap. They are generally used as they look good, and come in large sizes for a cheaper price.

We use 304 stainless steel piping versus Greddy's aluminum piping. What we've found with some Greddy kits is that they like to use different diameter intercooler piping wherever they please! For example, 2" piping going into the intercooler and 2.5" coming out. Which really makes no sense to me. While aluminum may weigh less, our stainless steel piping will never corrode and will probably last as long as you own your car!

As for the Greddy kit being CARB legal, I really doubt this will happen. I know first hand that the E-Manage itself is not CARB legal. It says so directly on the packaging and instructions. The currect Acura RSX Type-S turbo kit that Greddy offers is NOT CARB legal and uses the Greddy E-Manage.

That brings me to another point. I don't know why everyone always thinks larger companies like Greddy come out with a more reliable products than the smaller shop. When we first came out with an Acura RSX turbo kit, many of the RSX owners held off as they were going to wait for the "reliable and cheaper" Greddy kit. Big mistake. When the Greddy kit was released, RSX owners jumped all over it and are ALL having problems. Some of the problems included multiple check engine lights, a serious lack of power around 2000rpm range, and to top it all off a 14.7 A/F mixture while in full boost!

Now I hope I've shed some light on some of you!

Keep the responses coming!

Darryl
Old 09-29-2003, 07:33 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you going for Carb legal status and if so, when do you estimate you will get it. If not, i wont buy it, it is that simple. My Z is an everyday driver.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Racing

Our kit will not be CARB legal.

Darryl
Old 09-29-2003, 07:41 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Default What about exhaust

If not going to be part of the kit, what would you recommend
Old 09-29-2003, 08:36 AM
fairladyz33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default for your reference

me and my buddy live nto too far from Ultimate's shop in Toronto. We actually had the opportunity to test drive one of their Turbo S2000 last year cuz my friend was considering the kit. All I can say is that we didn't want to give the car back to Johnson (the owner). The make some very nice kits and does export them to Hong Kong and other countries. Shouldn't be a bad kit to consider.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:58 AM
G3po

Default Availablity

So do you think your first G or Z kit will be ready in 2004?
As soon as you can have a spec sheet and photos the better.

-A dual map,one for "street 91/93" and another for "track 100", would be a good twist.

- plumbing of Air filter(s) to a Cold Air site rather than under hood , would be a plus.

-smaller quick spool turbos (maybe ball-bearing types). I like lower end grunt.

-In addtiion to an Intercooler , I use Water Injection. If your Controller provided and extra nozzle driver (at least 2D for water.)

- Mostly bolt on, minimize sheet metal hacks.

All of these are twists in my favor.

Thanx
Old 09-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I would also hope your kit to be as bolt-on friendly as possible. Aside from that, I hope that you can also muster around the same power rating with say 7psi as Greddy/PE 354-417 So right in the middle would be ideal for the price. The price already has my attention if it's going to be around the 6k area, and come with the parts you listed. I would like the fuel management to be something on the order of E-Manage, etc. I am not concerned with CARB approval. Low spool time, hopefully around 2.8-3.0k rpms would be awsome for the power to really kick in. I plan on dragging the Z, so hopefully your kit will come out with a very complementary power rating of hp & tq, to get me to the finish line A LOT quicker . Come on guys, get me in the 11's . Look foward to hearing about your kit, best hopes & looking foward to your product U.R.!

--Justin
Old 09-29-2003, 10:37 AM
kurt leonce

i don't care, just make sure it comes with external wastegate, lager injectors, large FMIC, boost control, fuel pump, some nice size turbos (not some pep sqeck turbo that can only handle 600WHP people want room for upgrade), blowoff valve that is capable of handle more boost than the kit recomend ( so it do not leak at high boost), then you can put anything else you want in it now thats not to much to ask for
Old 09-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Racing

Hey guys,

First off, where did all this talk about $6000 come from? Although it'd be nice, I really don't see our kit priced at $6000. $7000 is where we target the price to sit.

We will definitely be using external wastegate(s). We're a big fan of HKS products as we've found that their quality and performance is un-matched! The HKS SSQV, being a pull-type will not leak boost!

Our turbochargers in our kit are always spec'd properly for the application. Compressor maps work wonders. However, they are generally used as a guideline and aren't always exact. This is why we will begin the prototyping. None of the parts we've mentioned are finalized until we're done. I imagine we'll be trying different turbos, different wastegates, different sized injectors, and different engine management systems.

As for including engine components like Pistons, Rods, etc with our kit. Chances are, we won't be doing this. Our goal is to design a kit that will be completely bolt-on. A fair install for the weekend mechanic, or a simple install for any pro-shop. We really don't want everyone tearing apart their engine in order to install our kit. However, if the demand is there, we may introduce a second stage to the kit which will include forged engine components.

I think we've pretty much finalized our decision and WILL indeed be designing the kit. We should have our new 350Z ready to go within the week.

Thanks guys! Any more questions or comments? Fire away.

Darryl
Old 09-29-2003, 01:21 PM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Sweet ... no word on exhaust pipes?

I think (but am not 100% sure) PE is including it in their kit....

If not what exhuast would you recommend.... or maybe offer a discount when attached to a setup...
Old 09-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Racing

Hey,

I guess my post didn't make it through. As with all of our prototype cars, we always manufacture a few different exhaust systems. Generally, all T304 stainless steel pieces with fully polished mufflers and tips.

Hang in there, we'll have something to show very shortly.

Thanks!

Darryl
Old 09-29-2003, 01:42 PM
G3po

Default Carb

Given that the Z and G are "very" popular in Ca. , you really should consider CARB certification. There are quite a few of us who need a daily driver + occasional track setup in Ca. If it ain't Carb approved I and they won't buy.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:59 PM
z33boi

have you guys even started on the twin turbo yet..or jus still talkin about it?
Old 09-29-2003, 03:05 PM
z33boi

have you guys even started on the twin turbo yet..or jus still talkin about it? and do you think you know how long it would take tryin all these other turbos and stuff..it would be awhile b4 the kit ever comes out right?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Racing

CARB certification is not something that is easy at all! It's sad to say, but it seems that only the LARGE companies will even be able to afford to attempt CARB certification. Again, I doubt any turbo kit that will be manufactured for the 350Z will become CARB exempt. Greddy included.

We have not begun prototyping yet. As I mentioned at the beginning, this thread was meant to gather information on whether or not we should purchase the car or not. With all the good feedback from the members who posted, we've decided to go ahead with the project and are in the process of purchasing our own 2004 350Z.

We expect the kit to hit the markets in the winter time. Definitely a good time for those wanting a winter-time project, and for those wanting to come out in spring with a turbocharged monster!

I will definitely keep you all up-to-date with our progress. Believe me, it will be worth the wait!

Thanks guys,

Darryl
Old 10-01-2003, 06:55 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you guys should understand that a turbo kit, ideally, is supposed to make the car have more useable power in areas that it is lacking.. for our car, the power sucks after 5000rpms.. so typically, a kit should address this problem--

a 'large' Front mount intercooler is often not necessary- especially the amount of air coming out of the twin turbos... you can save quite some money by not buying the largest intercooler ever to fit in the front of the Z... besides.. the larger surface area for an intercooler doesnt necessarily mean your air will be exponentially cooler.. most often efficeincy % only goes up by a little-- AND you block air flow going to the radiatior BEHIND the IC--

your kit sounds very appealing, but i think your $6k door price, although attractive, imho will be hard to reach especially if you factor in the costs of the items you wish to include and profit margin to make it worth while.... but i'm glad that there is more competition coming!

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing Twin-Turbo Kit?