Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

UTEC and Wideband Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UTEC and Wideband Questions

I just bought an HKS turbo kit for my G35. I am going to pair it with a JWT intercooler setup and most likely a UTEC/injectors/Walbro 255 fuel pump. I am keeping the motor stock for now so I am going to limit it to 6 psi of boost and careful tuning.

My first question is: does the UTEC use the factory knock sensor or does it come with an aftermarket unit?

My second question is: Is there any way to datalog a wideband AFR output other than using the Turbo XS Tuner module? For example, the LINK ECU in my Miata has optional inputs, and the software lets you input a calibration table to convert the input voltage to something meaningful. On the Miata I am using an AEM UEGO wideband, which has a 0-5V output that is wired into the ECU. The software then converts the 0-5V to a A/F readout via the AEM supplied calibration table. Does the UTEC have any such inputs? I don't really want to spend so much on the Tuner module.

Also, as I understand it the UTEC can handle up to 750cc injectors correct? I figure I will only need about 550cc or 600cc injectors for my goals but I just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Utec uses the factory knock sensor.

To use something other than the turboxs tuner kit wideband you need this:

http://www.mpsav.com/MPSUTECLogger/M...r_Download.htm

In fact I'd recommend the mps software anyways for your tuning. Makes your life SOOOOO much easier, plus you can keep your wideband/guage in the car after you're done tuning.

I heard 750 will work (don't quote me) but you might have start issues (hard to start after engine warm). Myself I'm using 440cc's and a return system with no start up issues.

If I were you I would get a return system though.

Last edited by djamps; 06-17-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
mx594

Originally Posted by djamps
Utec uses the factory knock sensor.

To use something other than the turboxs tuner kit wideband you need this:

http://www.mpsav.com/MPSUTECLogger/M...r_Download.htm

In fact I'd recommend the mps software anyways for your tuning. Makes your life SOOOOO much easier, plus you can keep your wideband/guage in the car after you're done tuning.

I heard 750 will work (don't quote me) but you might have start issues (hard to start after engine warm). Myself I'm using 440cc's and a return system with no start up issues.

If I were you I would get a return system though.
That software looks like it will make tuning way easier. That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a ton.

At what point do you need a fuel return system? That's something else I have been wondering about.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
MardiGrasMax

Some of us use, http://www.jeffsoftware.com/software.php?product=UTI
Old 06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my view when building a FI car from a NA car is not "at what point do i need something," but rather "what is the proper way to do things"

A return system is the proper way to control your fuel pressure and get a solid tune. If you cant afford it, its not the end of the world til ~ 450+hp, but its not ideal.

FWIW, i use UTI for combining my UTEC and my AEM wideband logs. Works fine