Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown Vortech, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 AM
g35keys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Vortech, please help

I got a supercharger (Vortech) put on my 2004 Infiniti G35 6mt. I took delivery I believe June 8th. My engine blew July 29th at night while sitting in traffic after only 3000 miles on the original (shop supplied) oil.

I checked the oil (synthetic Motul 300v) one week and one day prior when my friend was over while fixing a leak of fuel that was dripping onto my tranny 2-3 drops every couple of seconds. I called my tuner for help and they walked me through it over the phone. The next day I checked the leak again to make sure it was stopped as well as the oil and other fluids. Everything looked OK. I was planning to change oil on July 30th since July 29th was my Birthday and synthetic usually goes 3000-5000k miles and I was at the low end of that range.

The diagnosis: My tuner said that my car had one quart of oil left in the motor and this is the reason for the blowup.

Bottom line: My 'stock block warranty' was denied on the basis of low oil (only 1 qt left). Meanwhile, my friend (DJamps) witnessed an acceptable oil level 8 days before it died, and I checked it again myself only 7 days before. For those who don't know about this warranty program, read here:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...y-program.html

Any clue how oil got that low in only a week? There was no visible smoke or anything else that you would think would be the case for OC. The car was running great even on the same day of the blowup.

What is your input on what I should do?

And above all, how much is this going to cost me?

Last edited by g35keys; 08-19-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a similar situation with a poorly built motor. was done to about 2.5 quarts after 500 miles and one of my rods chipped sending metal particles through my block, lovely. the only sign of oil burn was during hard acceleration and this was pointed out to me by other people since its really hard to see out back when driving and i dont normally look into my rear view mirror when im at WOT. have you checked for oil in the intercooler?

repair costs vary. least expensive way, buy a used short or long block. ive seen prices from $500 to $1500. most shops charge around $2000 to $3000 to take out the old motor and put in a new one. i would buget $5k for the entire job.

you can also buy a built block starting around $2500 for short block.

good luck man, been there and done that 3 times.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 AM
g35keys

Where can you get a built for for $2500 at? I've been searching and have several people looking for me. Are you now running a built block? Several friends have also said they haven't seen any black smoke behind me that they can remember. No I haven't seen if oils in the intercooler. I just called the shop and they said not that they know of but they'll take a look when they get a chance.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 AM
XKR

Hmmmmm ...Who did the work Depends on how hard you were driving the car...but that sounds like a lot of oil to lose without a trace
-5 qt is a lot ...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by g35keys
Where can you get a built for for $2500 at? I've been searching and have several people looking for me. Are you now running a built block? Several friends have also said they haven't seen any black smoke behind me that they can remember. No I haven't seen if oils in the intercooler. I just called the shop and they said not that they know of but they'll take a look when they get a chance.
you can buy a built short block for $3500 from forged performance, my bad. the labor for installing a short block is gonna be pretty high at most places, 3K+

http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=277
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn Tech I'm sorry to see it came to this. 'low oil' is such a subjective diagnosis, especially for warranties.

Was the block torn down to see where all that oil went in the last week? It wasn't on the floor and it wasn't visible in the exhaust (smoke, ect).

As you know I verified you had adequate oil a week before...while we fixed the fuel leak

After several weeks of waiting, it sounds like Dave pulled the dipstick, denied your warranty and called it a day. Lovely.

Last edited by djamps; 08-19-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by djamps
Damn Tech I'm sorry to see it came to this. 'low oil' is such a subjective diagnosis, especially for warranties.

Was the block torn down to see where all that oil went in the last week? It wasn't on the floor and it wasn't visible in the exhaust (smoke, ect).

As you know I verified you had adequate oil a week before...while we fixed the fuel leak

After several weeks of waiting, it sounds like Dave pulled the dipstick, denied your warranty and called it a day. Lovely.
Hmmmm Very good points... How was this car used?? Track??...Cant see losing that kind of oil with regular driving in a week without any trace of where it went ...

Would like to know more
Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 AM
g35keys

Originally Posted by XKR
Hmmmmm ...Who did the work Depends on how hard you were driving the car...but that sounds like a lot of oil to lose without a trace
-5 qt is a lot ...
I'd get into it on the weekends if it's nice, weekdays I of course would step in it on merges but nothing insane.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
g35keys

Originally Posted by XKR
Hmmmm Very good points... How was this car used?? Track??...Cant see losing that kind of oil with regular driving in a week without any trace of where it went ...

Would like to know more
Car was NEVER tracked, taken to drag strip or anything. Spirited driving on dry weekends that's it. Coming home from work and on way normal driving. threw out the day driving it slower since it's hot as anything outside than give it some gas after it cools down a bit.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 AM
XKR

Car was NEVER tracked, taken to drag strip or anything. Spirited driving on dry weekends that's it. Coming home from work and on way normal driving. threw out the day driving it slower since it's hot as anything outside than give it some gas after it cools down a bit.
VERY IN-TER-EST-ING!!

So there is no oil in your belly cover or splashed all over the bottom of the car

Are you planning to have the motor inspected my a neutral shop??....I would !!.....something not right with this
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
g35keys

Originally Posted by Nexx
you can buy a built short block for $3500 from forged performance, my bad. the labor for installing a short block is gonna be pretty high at most places, 3K+

http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=277
Ask us about adding head studs, head gaskets with your order.
Shipping and Core Charge ($1500) will apply. Most shortblocks are in stock, or a max 2 weeks leadtime.

I got a quote of higher from the shop I'm assuming they'll charge me more since my motor is done? Or will they accept my done motor?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 AM
g35keys

Originally Posted by XKR
VERY IN-TER-EST-ING!!

So there is no oil in your belly cover or splashed all over the bottom of the car

Are you planning to have the motor inspected my a neutral shop??....I would !!.....something not right with this
Hmm I'm considering it just for a second opinion of what happened for closure at best, I would like to know what happened. But I need to see how much it would cost for a second look.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM
XKR

Ask us about adding head studs, head gaskets with your order.
Shipping and Core Charge ($1500) will apply. Most shortblocks are in stock, or a max 2 weeks leadtime.

I got a quote of higher from the shop I'm assuming they'll charge me more since my motor is done? Or will they accept my done motor?
If your block was not damaged...they will be able to use it...

Lots of people on here with big powa from your area...PM Alberto and have him steer you in the right direction
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
g35keys

Originally Posted by XKR
If your block was not damaged...they will be able to use it...

Lots of people on here with big powa from your area...PM Alberto and have him steer you in the right direction
They said they believed it was damaged since there wasn't any oil. I'll have to chat with him a bit, get his instant messaging name or phone number and ask what's up.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
XKR

Hmm I'm considering it just for a second opinion of what happened for closure at best, I would like to know what happened. But I need to see how much it would cost for a second look.
I am in a good mood...so let me **** off two shops in your area.....Call Sharif/FP or Hal/IP and tell them that you will buy a short block from them if they do a tear down for you for free and have them tell you what they find....

I am sure on of them will take this offer.......Keep me update on how it goes.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 AM
XKR

They said they believed it was damaged since there wasn't any oil. I'll have to chat with him a bit, get his instant messaging name or phone number and ask what's up.
Thats my point....if they do the tear down and find that lack of oil was your problem....well....case close
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
Thats my point....if they do the tear down and find that lack of oil was your problem....well....case close

If you read the OP carefully you'll see the shop denying a warranty shortblock on the case of negligence.

So if we had added a quart every day during the last week to keep it filled and it still ran, his engine would be fine and not needing to be replaced/rebuilt?

Maybe this is a case of 'lesson learned' on more than one topic... check oil DAILY, and a 'stock block FI warranty' is nothing more marketing hype. Save the extra money you paid for the warranty for building the block when it blows instead.

Last edited by djamps; 08-19-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
g35keys

Originally Posted by XKR
I am in a good mood...so let me **** off two shops in your area.....Call Sharif/FP or Hal/IP and tell them that you will buy a short block from them if they do a tear down for you for free and have them tell you what they find....

I am sure on of them will take this offer.......Keep me update on how it goes.
How do I go about that? I'm very curious, but I probably will be getting the forged performance block for 3500 , i'm wondering how hard I could push that daily. I know it could atleast take my current power right under 400whp easily. Than the addition of strup TP and Headers one at my house one in my car will help her breath so I could probably go with 2.87 I have the 13lb pulley right now.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by djamps
If you read the OP carefully you'll see the shop denying a warranty shortblock on the case of negligence.

So if we had added a quart every day during the last week to keep it filled and it still ran, his engine would be fine and not needing to be replaced/rebuilt?
All I am going to say is...PLEASE...PLEASE....PLEASE tell me its not one of the shops that we had drama with not too long ago.....Please tell me is a different shop...PLEASE !!!!

FIrst off...if you have to add 1qt a day...you have a problem to start...and if you have a warranty....they need to step up.....

Once again......please dont tell me the name of the shop if its one of the shops that was just involved in drama

How do I go about that? I'm very curious, but I probably will be getting the forged performance block for 3500 , i'm wondering how hard I could push that daily. I know it could atleast take my current power right under 400whp easily. Than the addition of strup TP and Headers one at my house one in my car will help her breath so I could probably go with 2.87 I have the 13lb pulley right now.
OK....call Sharif....tell him you will buy his short block if he will tear down your old motor to see if it can be re-used....Tell him you also want him to inspect it to see what went wrong......If he installs it for you....I am sure its a offer he cannot refuse....
BTW....I ran 800whp on the FP short block....over 600whp for over 2 years...

From what I am being told...you paid extra for a warranty.....they did not mention the shop....but I am sure I know know....and i am sad to see whats going on here

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
g35keys

Pretty sure your talking about the Maryland shop but my cars sitting at the same shop Cass car was at in VA.

Quick Reply: Blown Vortech, please help