Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown Vortech, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I have been sitting back on this, and I think it is truly unfortunate. If the car only had 1qt of oil in it, I can't see how he should cover it. Maybe I don't have all the details, and I certainly hope it is resolved.
So based on what you say should he have topped it off before towing it to FT? Sorry, Tech is honest, probably to a fault.

The motor ran out of oil in a VERY short amount of time. I saw with my own eyes it had at least 4.5 qts in it a week prior.

Is checking oil only once per week considered negligent enough to deny warranty coverage? Come on guys, get real!!!

this car was FI for less than 2 months and the OC started less than a week before it blew.

Re-read OP, along with this post, along with the shop build list, and tell me if you think this is strictly a case of owner neglect.

Last edited by djamps; 08-19-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 PM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flash tune....detonation over 5k? right where Osiris does not protect?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

wow sorry for the loss but this is becoming a common trend in this section. Another forum memeber wnet through a few motors due to oil starvation and now ur motor is eating oil like a SOB. All to common. Hope this all gets worked out man!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
So based on what you say should he have topped it off before towing it to FT? Sorry, Tech is honest, probably to a fault.

The motor ran out of oil in a VERY short amount of time. I saw with my own eyes it had at least 4.5 qts in it a week prior.

Is checking oil only once per week considered negligent enough to deny warranty coverage? Come on guys, get real!!!

this car was FI for less than 2 months and the OC started less than a week before it blew.

Re-read OP, along with this post, along with the shop build list, and tell me if you think this is strictly a case of owner neglect.
^ That was my first thought when I read the OP.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
'beating' on the car is certainly subjective..

Tech being new to VQ FI had full trust in Dave to sell him everything he needed to be a reliable daily driver and sold him a warranty to top everything off.

No oil cooler, no gauges, stock cats / exhaust, a flash tune and 12psi pushing ~400whp on a DD (450+ DJ?). You make the decision.

But hey, it has (had) a warranty, so why question it especially being a n00b?

str8dum1 , i think there are a couple of thinks you didnt mention from FTs warranty thread well...so let me just put something out there for everybody to remember, which makes me lolol considering the post by djamps

Originally Posted by Function:Tuned
This program offers you the security and peace of mind that comes along with having your parts installed and tuning done by a competent, financially stable company that specializes in the 350Z/G35 and VQ motors.

To receive the full benefits of the Function:Tuned 12 Month Stock Motor FI Warranty you must use our recommend mix of performance parts and the Function:TUNED Stage .5 Return Fuel Solution.

All install and tuning must be performed at Function:TUNED. All engine management and fuel system components must be purchased at Function:TUNED. If you are purchasing a new FI kit Function:TUNED must be given the first option of offering you the kit for the best price. Used kits will incur a small inspection fee so that we can confirm that it is in proper operating condition and that all parts are available.

Stock Motor Inventory Condition

If you’re motor does break while covered under the Function:TUNED 12 Month Stock Motor FI Warranty we will replace your blown motor with one of these motors. We guarantee that none of these motors has more then 40K miles and you will maintain the balance of your remaining warranty on the motor that is reinstalled.

Customer Responsibility
93 Octane Fuel must ALWAYS be used. Using lower then 93 Octane will void the warranty.

The customer must notify Function:TUNED of any issues with the vehicle within 24 hours of occurrence. This includes both a broken motor as well as other issue such as overheating, poor drivability, and an accident. If the vehicle is involved in a collision then a baseline dyno must be performed by an independent facility at the cost of the owner and sent to Function:TUNED along with a list of what work was done to repair the vehicle. If this is not completed then the Function:TUNED Stock FI Motor Warranty shall be deemed null and void. Photographs of the vehicles chassis will be taken prior to completion of the install so that they can be compared to any returned vehicles. This ensures that outside issues from accidents is not the cause of failure. The customer is also responsible for ALL transportation costs to and from the shop, both for initial install as well as any required repairs. Function:TUNED does provide fee based door-to-door transportation services as an added convenience.

Power and Boost Expectations

Due to the conservative nature of my tuning we will only be offering a minimum of 6 PSI and a maximum of 9PSI of boost. Power will not exceed 380 to 390 RWHP on our in-house DynoDynamics Dyno.

Yep! With our warranty we replace your blown motor with a stock "take-out" motor. You also have the option of having us upgrade the motor to a built motor and only paying for the charges associated with the built motor not for the swap itself or the core motor

We now have over 10 cars running with various kits under warranty and one that just left the warranty period with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever (this car was also autocrossed not extreme but definetly a DRIVEN car).

soudns to me like he should honor his warranty... othewise all ^^^above is jsut

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-19-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
jtgli

WOW!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sorry to hear OP.... I predict this thread going to 30+ pages soon..
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
Sorry to hear OP.... I predict this thread going to 30+ pages soon..
YUP !!! PM box is filling up already...This is going to be a bad weekend for this thread...I can feel it!!!!

After seeing what Jorge posted above.....WOW....A LONG WEEKEND !! That d@mn "WARRANTY" is going to be the elephant in the room !!

Cass issue was an open and shut case......This one (because of the warranty thing) is a open and slam case

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

12psi on a stock block with stock cats, no gauges... hrmm.. me thinks the shop is wanting return business the hard way.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Nexx
12psi on a stock block with stock cats, no gauges... hrmm.. me thinks the shop is wanting return business the hard way.
Key word..'Return Business".....

OP....Please call Dave and try and fix this over the phone or in person before this gets out of hand......From what people are saying in PM...........

Step up Dave.....if it were not for the warranty.....the OP would be SOL.....but he paid a **** load of money for the warranty...4.5qt loss in a week shows that something was wrong from the start....The OP said he contacted you about some fuel leak and loss of oil....

Last edited by XKR; 08-19-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am from the mid-a and Dave tuned my car and it has run flawless since.I suspect there must have been an oil leak that was not noticed or a tremendous amount of blow by that happend real quick(not likely at all).Dave by all means is a upstanding person and if he thought it was any fault of his own would have taken care of it.

I really feel bad for Tech as i have met him and he is cool as **** but there is something else that is invoved here that is the unknown.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the epic thread b4 the fail.....

BTW I think the thread name should change.. It makes me think your Vortech itself blew (the SC Unit) Not your engine etc..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 08-19-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by superchargedg
I am from the mid-a and Dave tuned my car and it has run flawless since.I suspect there must have been an oil leak that was not noticed or a tremendous amount of blow by that happend real quick(not likely at all).Dave by all means is a upstanding person and if he thought it was any fault of his own would have taken care of it.

I really feel bad for Tech as i have met him and he is cool as **** but there is something else that is invoved here that is the unknown.
I agree.....And I know you are a straight up person.....So I know you will be fair to the OP.

there has to be some major issue to lose that much oil in such a short time. ...oil leak? something not clamped correctly? He had a fuel leak because something was not installed correctly....So I am thinking the same with the oil....That being said...shouldnt the warranty cover this....I saw parts of the warranty that Jorge posted....
Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
bb319675

How many warranty claims? How many claims honored/denied? How much is this warranty?

If Dave honored 20 warranties and this is the 1st he's denying...

If Dave denied all previous claims...

Still like to know the price of such warranty.

Last edited by bb319675; 08-19-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM
IIQuickSilverII

^^
its not geico.....
its a small comunity...and this was a"device" used for marketing...and 1 denial of a warranty is too many and wrong...

id too like to know the price and all 2, but(check post 45) looking at his posted "rules", doesnt matter...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-19-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya alot of unanswered questions

was the fuel leak reported to/ fixed by FT? I guess all the above conditions must have been met in order even purchase this "warranty".

No way was he running less than 9psi at 400 hp on a DD with stock cats/exhaust. even

12 psi definitely is a breach of contract right there and should have never been accepted by the owner nor allowed to leave the shop by FT!

Gauges, no oil cooler, stock cats/ exhaust have nothing to do with this failure.

I dunno, sounds like the owner did as was required by the warranty.

IBTL
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
g35keys

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ya alot of unanswered questions

was the fuel leak reported to/ fixed by FT? I guess all the above conditions must have been met in order even purchase this "warranty".

No way was he running less than 9psi at 400 hp on a DD with stock cats/exhaust. even

12 psi definitely is a breach of contract right there and should have never been accepted by the owner nor allowed to leave the shop by FT!

Gauges, no oil cooler, stock cats/ exhaust have nothing to do with this failure.

IBTL
Yes the fuel leak was reported immediatly and was said it could be done myself and while djamps & I had the tuner on speaker phone he walked us threw it.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by g35keys
Yes the fuel leak was reported immediatly and was said it could be done myself and while djamps & I had the tuner on speaker phone he walked us threw it.
well...

you were right:
Originally Posted by str8dum1

IBTL
Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 PM
zman1982

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kinda **** just solidifies why I'm goin to Hal@IP when I get home. After the earlier drama that is still ongoing and now this...WOW is all I can say
Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You can find a new built Stage 1 Block ~$2,500.00 if you look around.
PM me if your are interested.

Quick Reply: Blown Vortech, please help