Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Retaining STS kit w/ LS-1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 PM
1GR8350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retaining STS kit w/ LS-1 swap

I just got my Z not too long ago in a trade from the shop that does all of my tuning and everything else thats over my head. It has the STS kit on it and makes 403hp and 390tq on 8psi with stock internals. The owners plans were to do the LS-1 swap while retaining the STS kit possibly upgrading to larger turbo. My intention are to stick with the plan. I just wanted to hear some feedback from everyone about pros and cons that we may have overlooked. I realize that this is not no small project and dont want to jump into it unless I'm absolutely sure. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

imo VQ engine is way better than an LS1.
You could make a 4.2ltr 7,000rpm boosted champ if you want a big displacement engine.....
Where iz sherrif, xkr eaand dem boayez?

But yes you could make that turbo kit work..... with the ls1. Hell you might actually only pay a small amount to get this to work.
But it makes noooo sense to do that... I mean I could see this if your engine was toast, but its currently making 400rwhp!!!?!?!
Have you done any spirited WOT runs in it? I mean.... this makes no sense...............................
Hey I'll buy that kit off ya for 2k and then you can swap that Large(lumpa) **** series 1 in there. Then just sell the VQ35 to someone for 4k and you've made them happy.
Why don't you just sell the Z, and go buy a stupid... (I mean very cool! ) C5 Vette and sts that? You should break at least even.
Im flat out confused. And my post shows that.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 PM
1GR8350Z

Thanks for the input. I will explore that option further. Looked at GTM and their already built blocks. How much difference is there between short and long blocks? My goal is 550hp and enough bottom end torque to run with a
Z06 from a dig. My mind is far from made up on this as the project is still a few months away. I'm just looking for some opinions and will take the good with the bad as I know this subject is rathy touchy.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
Thanks for the input. I will explore that option further. Looked at GTM and their already built blocks. How much difference is there between short and long blocks? My goal is 550hp and enough bottom end torque to run with a
Z06 from a dig.
My mind is far from made up on this as the project is still a few months away. I'm just looking for some opinions and will take the good with the bad as I know this subject is rathy touchy.

You need some serious knowledge, seeingas how I dont think you would understand how much money a motor swap AND a FI kit would cost.

Also, trying to keep up with a Z06 with EXCEPTIONAL gearing and 325 tires is a stupid idea on anything other than DR's or cheater slicks. You simply wont do it (if going against a good driver) no matter what power you make. You will spin, and spin. You also dont need TQ to have a car that launches hard....you have a lot to learn and your goals arent realistic.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
You need some serious knowledge, seeingas how I dont think you would understand how much money a motor swap AND a FI kit would cost.

Also, trying to keep up with a Z06 with EXCEPTIONAL gearing and 325 tires is a stupid idea on anything other than DR's or cheater slicks. You simply wont do it (if going against a good driver) no matter what power you make. You will spin, and spin. You also dont need TQ to have a car that launches hard....you have a lot to learn and your goals arent realistic.

IMO if you can't tell the difference on your own between a long block and a short block you shouldn't even be thinking about more than 350hp. If you can't rebuild your engine (im not talking sleeves here), then you shouldn't have a car with that much hp again imo.
You didn't have the ability to call or search at all, and you don't know anything about what you supposedly want to keep up with.... just another premature-esquaculation-failomatic thread.
Sorry to be a ball buster, but go take even a highschool class on automotive, then search for at least 6 months, all while driving a stock Z. Take the car to the strip and do as many runs as needed to get a low 14 second pass consistently. Then research some more the come back and think about working on your car. Eventually, you will be able to have a fast car, but untill you do these things, you will just reach a fail-block, or worse die.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 PM
1GR8350Z

You are absolutely right. I have a lot to learn and I will. Thanks for the motivation. I really love my 400Hp FI Z and will in time make it even greater than it already is. Sorry for not being worthy. Beautiful car Alberto