Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbo: custom vs kit... more specifics please

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 08:44 AM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo: custom vs kit... more specifics please

i asked this awhile back and the topic really got off on tangents. so here is my question reworded.

turbos:
i hear all the time that a custom setup will yield better #'s. but WHY? what are the main differences? can you go with a kit and just swap out parts later to yield higher numbers?

it seems going custom you will be without a car for 3-4 months

kit you can be up and running over a weekend

please help me understand
Old 11-23-2003, 08:52 AM
spazpilot

custom kits use top notch quality, while a bolt on use good parts to maintain a reasonable price. Not to mention that you can pic and choose when you build a custom kit. over all i would say that unless you are planning to do internal work on the engine buy a kit. custom kits shine a lot better on build motors. on stock internals you would be wasting a lot of money for minimal gains.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:15 AM
toykilla

well i do plan on doing internals.. but $$.. so i might not be able to do everything at the same time.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:42 AM
little_rod

Yeah, I looked into a custom kit. Really, with the standalones and such, it is great if you are looking for high HP. I think you just have to look at the goal you have in mind. If you are going for a moderate amount of HP, a kit is probably the best way to go. If you are looking to rebuild your motor and go for high HP output, I would look more at a custom setup. You also have to remember that a custom setup will run flawlessly at WOT, but the stock ECU (which would be all but gone) is still the best at running at anything else cause its maps are so much better and tested.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:44 PM
azrael

on most cars, a custom kit would use higher quality parts, since you can choose which parts to use individually.

For the Z, the GReddy kit actually looks top notch. The turbos are well-chosen for the engine size, and can accomodate a LOT more than the stock 5.6 psi. The rest of the components look like they're of good quality and very appropriately chosen. I was originally planning to design a custom setup, but I like the GReddy setup a lot. It will complement a fully-built engine and yield 500+ RWHP very easily.

The only thing that I'd like to change is fuel management. The E-manage seems like a decent choice, but I'd really like a fully standalone ECU.. if tuned properly, it would ultimately be a better solution.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:23 PM
spazpilot

toykilla

I also notice that you are from the dfw area like me and as you know you can't go with out a car here. Greddy kit 2-3 day install. Custom, hope you have another car
Old 11-23-2003, 08:10 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just my 2 cents, but in SOME cases, if your going custom, with internals and high boost for extreme power, you should probably have a second car to drive in.

a daily driver 5 or 600hp Z might not be the most reliable thing in the world... not saying your gonna blow the engine driving down the driveway, and you might get 100,000miles out of it without a fault. but in general, Id expect the car to be out of commision a bit more often than a "stock" Z with a greddy kit.

therefore the 2 or 3 month build time(tho that sounds a bit long to me... ) perhaps it depends what your idea of custom is, and also if the shop has done a custom job on a previous Z. so they know how they are going to do it more or less with some minor changes.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:59 PM
t32gzz

Custom turbos are great if you have the time to devote. If you are looking for a quicker project, a kit is a good alternative. You can still change parts of the kit, you just pay twice. In my example, I will be going with a Greddy kit, and a different fuel management set up. That means I will pay for the e-manage and not use it. It will look good as a paperweight though!

On any kit you can change out what you perceive to be the weakest link and get the benefits of a custom kit without the time. Just a thought!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:24 PM
Drag Limited

Originally posted by t32gzz
Custom turbos are great if you have the time to devote. If you are looking for a quicker project, a kit is a good alternative. You can still change parts of the kit, you just pay twice. In my example, I will be going with a Greddy kit, and a different fuel management set up. That means I will pay for the e-manage and not use it. It will look good as a paperweight though!
Exactly what I want to do. First I got to finish the turbo upgrade on my car. Then I can buy my Z. Then worry about this. HAH.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:14 AM
little_rod

Originally posted by ares
a daily driver 5 or 600hp Z might not be the most reliable thing in the world... not saying your gonna blow the engine driving down the driveway, and you might get 100,000miles out of it without a fault. but in general, Id expect the car to be out of commision a bit more often than a "stock" Z with a greddy kit.
Are you talking 5 or 600 rwhp or at the engine?? I assume you are talking rwhp, cause the other is already close to being done...
Old 11-27-2003, 03:06 PM
toykilla

yeah im talking at the wheels.. that seems like a great round number.. much more than that and you are just getting rediculous