Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Almost bit the dust! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009 | 05:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Exclamation Almost bit the dust! Pics inside

This happened a few weeks ago coming back from a job at around 3:30am in the Z and some open road. Thought Id share with my FI brothers who may have a tendency to reach triple digit speeds very often.

Did maybe 4-5 pulls from varying speeds progressively going faster ending around 140mph a few times. On the last pull I decide Im going into 6th gear seeing as how I havent done so in a few months. So nothing out of the ordinary, I grab 6th at 160mph. A second or two into that gear, I hear a loud WHACK, my front end got really light, and I began to sway back and forth between the middle and left lane.

To say that I thought that was it for me is an understatement, Ive never felt so much regret in my life (why did I have to do this last run?)

Anyways, I let off the gas and sloooowly applied the brake and stopped with no further issue. When I pull over I see this. Keep in mind I run a stock bumper with the grill cut out like many here, AND a Top Secret CF front lip/diffuser that replaces the plastic OEM undertray.

Im positive there was nothing in the road and I didnt hit anything. Im fairly certain the lack of support in the center of the bumper, plus the possible drag/downforce of the lip + tons of runs to these speeds resulted in the bumper cracking/felxing, the lip flexing, and the lip taking a hike, also taking with it my fairly new drivers side fender liner. It also ripped the passenger side liner down but that didnt fly away. I assume for a split second I ran over that lip and/or the loss of that diffuser at that speed most definetely changed how the car felt briefly..

Just a reminder to all to be VERY careful at those speeds, and I just want to say fawk front lips! My $hit was secured 110%, not one bolt loose, missing, nothing. See ya $900 lip and weaksauce OEM bumper, but hey Im here to tell the tale

My Z is parked for winter, its on timeout for somehow breaking on me again, godd@amn unrealiable $hitbox....

Last edited by Alberto; 09-22-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:17 AM
Highway Riding

wow man.. Now it's time for a JDM Nismo V2 with canards... DOOO it
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:17 AM
TheMinel

wow! glad you didn't crash it and you are ok!!
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:21 AM
jtgli

Damn that sucks, pretty lucky I'd say esp. since you were going so fast. I actually had a similar thing happen to my oem bumper with the grill cut out. Not nearly as bad as yours did recently but mine cracked around the headlights on each side from flexing after doing several 160+ runs. You plan on doing another oem bumper of something different?
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:26 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Im not a huge body guy, but I liked the look of the CF diffuser, now I feel like OEM wont cut it-although I am looking for a DB bumper for a temporary measure.

I like the Nismo V3 I think it is (ala Jkenefic) but only with the entire kit. I dont know if Im willing to put a kit on the car.

The car is in serious need of a respray along with getting dings taken out. It was DD for 3 years through MD winters (when NA) and its showing its age. I'll likely do the old school Nismo V1, paint the center black, do the roof and door handles black and call it a day. When I put enough $$$$ aside for that is beyond me though...this also made me want a roll cage even more now, I figure between the respray/body work I want and a GOOD cage Im not looking at anything less than $8500, freaking money pit of a car
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:32 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
wow man.. Now it's time for a JDM Nismo V2 with canards... DOOO it
thats what i'm running now
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:33 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Alberto
I like the Nismo V3 I think it is (ala Jkenefic) but only with the entire kit. I dont know if Im willing to put a kit on the car.
is that the yellow car? i thought it had a V2
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:34 AM
350z-900whp

deleted

Last edited by 350z-900whp; 09-22-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by doug
is that the yellow car? i thought it had a V2
Yeah yellow, I could be wrong on the version, like I said I dont know a lot about kits, as I feel 90% of them should be destroyed lol...
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:36 AM
350z-900whp

good to hear thats u fine and nothing major happen

alberto i had the exact same thing with mine i was doing 140 to 150 an then i heard this sound trrk trrk , i let of the gas immediately and found out the that my front bumper is bent near the head light (stock bumper / stock ballistic diff)

u can hear it at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8DyMJgK-0
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 350z-900whp
alberto i had the exact same thing with mine i was doing 140 to 150 an then i heard this sound trrk trrk , i let of the gas immediately and found out the that my front bumper is bent near the head light (stock bumper / stock ballistic diff) :S

u can hear it at the end
Yeah I can hear it. Keep a close eye on the area near the headlight for a stress crack! It could lead to the bumper fawking itself into your face...
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:40 AM
doug

Yeah yellow, I could be wrong on the version, like I said I dont know a lot about kits, as I feel 90% of them should be destroyed lol...
here is my V2

Old 09-22-2009 | 05:42 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

That is the one! I love the front end in person, and the kit looks great I just cant pull the trigger on doing a kit...what happened to your Nissan Hamburger on the front?
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:43 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Damn Bert it seems like the last 2 years its allways something fuking up.
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:47 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Damn Bert it seems like the last 2 years its allways something fuking up.
I know right...the freaking emergency brake retaining pin for my DD backed out and was causing a metal clip to gring constantly inside the rotor making my car sound like a pig being raped going down the road. I just fixed it yesterday. Im thinking what are the chances of that happening and why am I working on my DD? LOL
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:49 AM
GreenGoblin

Wow very glad that it was not much worse.
Old 09-22-2009 | 05:57 AM
doug

That is the one! I love the front end in person, and the kit looks great I just cant pull the trigger on doing a kit...what happened to your Nissan Hamburger on the front?
well this is my third bumper.. never used it on my second bumper.. when you buy these they make them with the groove so you can put the emblem in..

if you do decide to buy one.. get it from Shine .. thats where i got mine.. i was going to get it from another vendor.. but Jay'Z stopped me and said shine.. good thing because the other vendor is having nightmare threads all over the forum..

technically you could get insurance to replace it bert.. it is a damaged part to your car due to road debris .. it amount of money they are going to give you for the OEM Bumper and paint would cover a V2 with canards
Old 09-22-2009 | 06:21 AM
CRIDDA

Damn Bert that sucks. Glad you are ok and the car is still in one piece. Be careful out there.
Old 09-22-2009 | 06:34 AM
Parker01

Wild!

There is a thread on here somewhere with a picture of the OP (not Alberto) doing 140MPH in a legal open road race, he pulled out some of the bumper supports out for the sake of weight or his FI setup... I can't remember. Anyways his front bumper resembled a plastic bag stuck to the front of a car doing 100. It might not hurt to fab up some of your own brackets/ bracing to tie into the bumper... kind of build a frame behind the bumper if you can, a couple lbs of aluminum won't hurt.
Old 09-22-2009 | 06:36 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by doug
thats what i'm running now
Nice!
Even though i'm no where near the powa levels you guys are at i still feel like i felt a definite bump up in stability at high speeds with the V2 setup w\canards.

Last edited by Highway Riding; 09-22-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Almost bit the dust! Pics inside