Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Almost bit the dust! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009 | 08:58 AM
ADMAN

Your car was not designed to go that fast...
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:01 AM
XKR

That was close..

Do you have a belly cover??? From the pic it also looks like you removed your wheel well guards.

There was a thread on here asking if its ok to run the car without them....What happened to you has happened to me before driving from AZ to LA....the belly cover blew off and the front started to lift at around 170+ mph.

You just have to make sure the steering wheel is straight when the front end comes down

What you need Alberto is something like the ARC undercover...its strong and can hold up under those speeds while giving support to the bumper.

Last edited by XKR; 09-22-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:07 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

XKR, I think the TS lip comes with attached underbelly.....
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by XKR
That was close..

Do you have a belly cover??? From the pic it also looks like you removed your wheel well guards.

There was a thread on here asking if its ok to run the car without them....What happened to you has happened to me before driving from AZ to LA....the belly cover blew off and the front started to lift at around 170+ mph.

You just have to make sure the steering wheel is straight when the front end comes down

What you need Alberto is something like the ARC undercover...its strong and can hold up under those speeds while giving support to the bumper.
The under belly was part of the lip, it is also an undertray/diffuser.

I snapped a pic to show the missing drivers side fender liner, and the passenger side liner that had obviously been bent down.

I dont think any diffuser underneath can help an OEM bumper with no grill in it, I think it would only add more stress to the center support piece running under the grill and eventually flex and crack by the headlights.
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:24 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Alberto
The under belly was part of the lip, it is also an undertray/diffuser.

I snapped a pic to show the missing drivers side fender liner, and the passenger side liner that had obviously been bent down.

I dont think any diffuser underneath can help an OEM bumper with no grill in it, I think it would only add more stress to the center support piece running under the grill and eventually flex and crack by the headlights.
That as well.....

I am having a custom piece made that runs at the bottom inside of my front bumper and then attached to the frame up front to prevent the buttom half of the bumper from folding at high speeds. The belly cover will be made out of something hard.

If you open your hood....then look under the car .....anywhere up front you see light is an area air will travel up.....the more light...the more air...the more lift...

Stay safe.
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

I want to do an underbelly other than OEM, but how many actually work with plastic fender liners? Ughh having to do body kit parts research FTL

btw-did a quick google search for ARC products, and found no undercover/diffuser for the Z

Last edited by Alberto; 09-22-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:41 AM
XKR

I want to do an underbelly other than OEM, but how many actually work with plastic fender liners? Ughh having to do body kit parts research FTL
Go with CF....I will send you pic of how I am doing my car when its finished.

But the plan is to use a THICK carbon fiber plate to replace the stock one...That will also help with supporting the front lower bumper.

But remember now....by doing this you could create downforce up front..which will make the rear light.....but then we install a rear diffuser to fix that.....With that you are ready to enter the SSC with me

Its never ending at 170+ Berto

Last edited by XKR; 09-22-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:44 AM
IslandZavage

Same thing happened to me (not as bad though, just cracks starting and passenger plastic fender - bye bye). Part of my problem is my lead foot...lol.. I've done more than my share of 150plus runs.. I live next to two major highways so its unavoidable..lol.. I had the needle buried in the black and the car felt like it was floating damn near.. scary ****....

btw-did a quick google search for ARC products, and found no undercover/diffuser for the Z
http://www.intensepower.com/arctiun03.html

Last edited by IslandZavage; 09-22-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:47 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

good lord. At least your are using your car to its potential
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:50 AM
JET MECH

My front bumper cover is starting to crack at the corners of the head light areas as well. grill has been cut out, CW lip, no under tray installed. FAWK!!! time to maybe move on to the V2 front i have been contemplating to do.......thanks for the heads up Alberto.
Attached Thumbnails Almost bit the dust! Pics inside-img_0204.jpg   Almost bit the dust! Pics inside-img_0219.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:56 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by JET MECH
My front bumper cover is starting to crack at the corners of the head light areas as well. grill has been cut out, CW lip, no under tray installed. FAWK!!! time to maybe move on to the V2 front i have been contemplating to do.......thanks for the heads up Alberto.
I am telling you guys...without the under tray....having the grill will not save you guys when running those kind of speeds.
Old 09-22-2009 | 09:57 AM
C5_vette

thats crazy man... good thing you kept your cool and nothing worse happened
Old 09-22-2009 | 10:11 AM
JS04

Wow Bert...well just do this kit. Hey its wind tunnel tested.

Old 09-22-2009 | 10:22 AM
Crom

Are u sure you didnt hit anything ?....if not, and the damage is from wind resistance - try out a longnose ala ings or chargespeed and mate it w/ a metal undertray. - that should work.
Old 09-22-2009 | 10:23 AM
IIQuickSilverII

evo-r was supposed to be coming up with an undertry too i think at one point.....fail?

Id be game for options similar to arc
Old 09-22-2009 | 10:50 AM
05Z33

There is a member on here who fabricated some nice aluminum undertrays. He has a thread on it and here it is. It is a 2 peice tray and makes oil changes easier.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...elly-pans.html
Old 09-22-2009 | 10:54 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by 05Z33
There is a member on here who fabricated some nice aluminum undertrays. He has a thread on it and here it is. It is a 2 peice tray and makes oil changes easier.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...elly-pans.html
Thats what I am talking about......Terry needs to talk to this guy.
Old 09-22-2009 | 11:02 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater
Premier Member

I experienced similar thing several times doing 3 digit high speed runs... It happened with my stock undertray cover and the Shine Amuse front diffuser as well. With the Shine Amuse front diffuser, it actually cracked and ripped imbedded bolts from the radiator housing plastic frame<-- What do you call this huge plastic piece that makes up the entire front structure of the 350z?
Old 09-22-2009 | 01:05 PM
RED RIDER

Originally Posted by Parker01
Wild!

There is a thread on here somewhere with a picture of the OP (not Alberto) doing 140MPH in a legal open road race, he pulled out some of the bumper supports out for the sake of weight or his FI setup... I can't remember. Anyways his front bumper resembled a plastic bag stuck to the front of a car doing 100. It might not hurt to fab up some of your own brackets/ bracing to tie into the bumper... kind of build a frame behind the bumper if you can, a couple lbs of aluminum won't hurt.
LOL Yeah..thats me..now I am DAMN SURE NOT racing the next BBORR without addressing this..

@ 140MPH

@ 125 MPH
Old 09-22-2009 | 01:11 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

First off, I am glad that you are OK and the car sustained minor damage. Great driving as usual and thanks for sharing this so other members know to check for signs of stress on the bumper.

Second, you can make a comp claim and it does not count against you as a chargable accident and will not affect your rates. Just make sure you say a branch or something was run over by a car in front of you and flew up and hit your lip and broke it off. If you say you ran it over it becomes a collision claim and deductibles and policy charges get involved. Most comp deductibles are low, from $0-200 usually.

Finally, you may borrow my stock DB front end to use for the rest of the season if you want to put off the Nismo front till the spring. Anything I can do to help out a Mid-A brother . Just let me know, its sitting in my shed collecting dust.

Quick Reply: Almost bit the dust! Pics inside