Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Has anyone ever recirculated their vortech bpv?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone ever recirculated their vortech bpv?

Has anyone done this? If not, can it be done safely without a retune? Or would it cause you car to run lean?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
05Z33

Are you talking about recirculating it into the intake for the blower? The problem I see here would be that you're recirculating warm air into the blower intake. Maybe if the bypass valve was located after the intercooler it would be better. Performance wise I see no benefit to doing this, unless all you want to do is silence the BPV. I've seeing mustangs setup like that, but I don't know the reason for it.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM
rx7/350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only place you could recirc it to would be back into the air filter and this would have no effect on a/f ratio. putting the air back in on the positive pressure side of the blower wouldn't do anything.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by 05Z33
Are you talking about recirculating it into the intake for the blower? The problem I see here would be that you're recirculating warm air into the blower intake. Maybe if the bypass valve was located after the intercooler it would be better. Performance wise I see no benefit to doing this, unless all you want to do is silence the BPV. I've seeing mustangs setup like that, but I don't know the reason for it.
Thats actually exactly what I wanted to do. I'm not really looking at this in a performance aspect but more so to quiet it a little and hopefully get rid of that aircraft noise.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by rx7/350z
the only place you could recirc it to would be back into the air filter and this would have no effect on a/f ratio. putting the air back in on the positive pressure side of the blower wouldn't do anything.
So it's ill advised to recirculate back into the charge pipe right?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 PM
05Z33

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
Thats actually exactly what I wanted to do. I'm not really looking at this in a performance aspect but more so to quiet it a little and hopefully get rid of that aircraft noise.
Then I believe this would work for you. I just would rather have the BPV located after the intercooler just to keep the blower intake temp down. If you add an intake pipe to your blower, and run it into the front bumper. Then relocate the BPV to the otherside; you could connect it all alot easier.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since we use a blow thru (push thru) MAf setup, you can return the air to the intake anywhere before the MAF.

And if you are tuned using a MAP sensor, anywhere before the throttle body is ok.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM
350Z400rwhp

If you did a custom cold air intake for your Vortech you could have a flange welded on to it and run the air from your BPV to this flange. All you would need is some flex pipe and some silicone couplers. Turn the BPV so it faces the drivers side of the car to get a more direct route. I have even thought of putting in an electronic cut-out so that I can have the aircraft sound for fun and quiet things down for when I just drive the car around.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
If you did a custom cold air intake for your Vortech you could have a flange welded on to it and run the air from your BPV to this flange. All you would need is some flex pipe and some silicone couplers. Turn the BPV so it faces the drivers side of the car to get a more direct route. I have even thought of putting in an electronic cut-out so that I can have the aircraft sound for fun and quiet things down for when I just drive the car around.
I might just reroute it directly back into the charge pipe. Im curious though if it would screw up a tune or not.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:09 PM
350Z400rwhp

I might just reroute it directly back into the charge pipe. Im curious though if it would screw up a tune or not.
I would only run it back into a pipe before the supercharger. You will create a huge leak if you tap into the charge pipe after the supercharger.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Everybodywildou

I would only run it back into a pipe before the supercharger. You will create a huge leak if you tap into the charge pipe after the supercharger.
Would it be because it would basically render the bpv pointless to have on there in the first place?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
350Z400rwhp

Would it be because it would basically render the bpv pointless to have on there in the first place?
Looks like Mustangs do it to the intake pipe before the supercharger.

Last edited by 350Z400rwhp; 09-29-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Everybodywildou

In theory no. I guess I mean you would REALLY have to make sure you have no leaks in this pipe going to the BPV. I just think going back before the supercharger would be easier but that's just me. I do agree that some supercharged mustangs do it exactly the way you are explaining it so yes it is possible.
Oh okay. Any take on the tune aspect though? I have a utec that has been tuned for my current setup. Sorry for the ingnorance since I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the engine management department.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should never recirculate the bypass valve into the charge piping. The whole point of a bypass valve is to prevent compressor surge when the throttle body closes and pressure backs up in the pipe by providing a momentary exit. If you recirculate the bypass valve back into the piping after the compressor it is worthless because now the path of least resistance is still backwards through the impeller.

If you recirculate it, you should put it back into the suction side of the supercharger.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a proper recirculation system:
Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

I had the bpv filter, but never try. But i heard it makes quiet a bit.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...ber=V8H040-175
Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1, only proper way to do it. It will not mess your tune at all because like I said, you are not changing the air the MAF/Map sensor sees.

Originally Posted by Quamen
You should never recirculate the bypass valve into the charge piping. The whole point of a bypass valve is to prevent compressor surge when the throttle body closes and pressure backs up in the pipe by providing a momentary exit. If you recirculate the bypass valve back into the piping after the compressor it is worthless because now the path of least resistance is still backwards through the impeller.

If you recirculate it, you should put it back into the suction side of the supercharger.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 991 Likes on 752 Posts

^ youre confusing me. Up above you said:

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Since we use a blow thru (push thru) MAf setup, you can return the air to the intake anywhere before the MAF.

And if you are tuned using a MAP sensor, anywhere before the throttle body is ok.
which i was reading and was going to post what Quamen already has. That wouldnt be "returning" more like rerouting to intake and eliminating the BPV

If you wish to recric you must do it before the blower.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Everybodywildou

Anybody remember what the size of the supercharger inlet is by any chance?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM
05Z33

^^^3.5" inlet for SC trim. I'm currently in the process of fabricating my own intake for my blower. I wish someone would just sell them already made. I'm using the K&N RX-4140 filter. It fits right through the hole where the hood latch is. This will make cleaning it alot easier.

Last edited by 05Z33; 09-29-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever recirculated their vortech bpv?