Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Official Shop Rating Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 AM
MDHRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name of Shop: Hills Garage

List your entire build list:

- Greddy 20G Tuner Kit (VQ35HR)
- GTM HR Return Fuel System
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- DW 600cc Injectors
- GTM HD Oil Cooler
- Greddy 9mm Oil Catch Can
- HKS Type 0 Turbo timer
- HKS EVC 6 boost controller
- 2 HKS SSQV BOV's w/ 50mm Aluminum Flange's
- AEM UEGO Wideband
- Defi BF Amber Imperial Boost Gauge
- Defi BF Amber Imperial Fuel Pressure Gauge
- Defi BF Amber Imperial EGT Gauge
- Defi Version II Control Unit
- South Bend DXD-B 6 Puck Clutch w/ CSC bearing sleeve, new CSC, & feed tube.
- Southbend Clutch DXD Billet HR Flywheel

1) Workmanship/quality of work - 5 – I always receive compliments on how clean the install is. Very high quality work.
2) Pricing - 5 - Very fair pricing
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition – 5 – Frank even let me wash the car at the shop (yes he offered to do it).
4) Customer service - 5 - The customer service from Hills Garage is top notch and nothing like any other shop I’ve been to. Frank was able to answer every question I asked and always provided no BS explanations. I couldn't make it to the shop everyday due to work and other responsibilities, but Frank and Suzanne provided daily updates via phone, text, and email. They also provided hundreds of pictures of the work in progress.
5) Honesty - 5 -
6) Willing to stand behind work - 5 -
7) Would you use this shop again - 5 – Meth and new radiator install are next.
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend - 5 -
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform - 5 -
10) Do they have a professional looking shop - 5 -
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed - 5 - Yes, but it increased once I started adding more parts.
12) Was your car completed on the date promised - 5 - I told Frank he could keep the car as long as he needed it. However, he promised to have it done before the Ocean City Car Show and sure enough it was done.
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery, big or small? Had an issue with hot starts but this was easily resolved.

Last edited by MDHRZ; 06-22-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Eno

Question Shop rating thread?

Okay- no idea why nobody has contributed to this in over a year so I'm just going to do it...

SHOP: Progressive Automotive. Victoria, BC

Entire build list:

700bb JWT TT kit (350z Variant with single IC)
680CC injectors (originally)
Fuel Rails / Return system (from Red35)
255lph fuel pump
SPC shim kit

1) Workmanship/ quality of work:::: 3
2) Pricing:::: 3
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition:::: Looked like 5... was actually 2
4) Customer service:::: 4
5) Honesty:::: 3
6) Willing to stand behind work::: 0
7) Would you use this shop again::: 0
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend::: 0
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform::: The car 3 / The turbo 2
10) Do they have a professional looking shop.:::: 4
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed::: NA
12) Was your car completed on the date promised:::: 3
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery..big or small::::: Yeah, you could say that.

Explanation:

I took this kit into these guys because for all intents and purposes they were recommended to me by some folks on Driver and other enthusiasts on the island. In talking to the shop they hadn't installed a kit like this before in a G35 but I got the impression that their technical skills and overall knowledge would be sufficient to pull through. I made it known in no uncertain terms that I knew that good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good- so I insisted that they take the time to do it right. They indicated they had one of the best installers on the island on the payroll but that he was very meticulous. The other installer, who it turned out did most of the work, was just finishing his certification though had worked at the shop for some time and was quite eager for the opportunity. These guys were all quite nice to talk to and I didn't get the impression that they were shady. In fact, despite what's happened... I'm still hesitant to say they were shady. We never really agreed on a firm price because a part of me didn't want to know. He said it'd probably be about 10k... and it came up to less than that... but there was nothing on paper until the end. I know, I'm stupid that way.

Anyway I was in here quite early in the build as they started to run into small problems- guys in here were full of Russian Roulette smilies blowing their heads off and telling me they don't know what they're doing... fire the shop... etc. Others indicated they got in a bit over their head and just needed to be given some time to network and get some information- which they eventually ended up doing. They got some decent information from Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer, AB (a shop that specializes in our platform who had done work for me before) and over time things started to come together. I work out of town so I was only able to drop in a couple of different times and, not being a car guy, things looked reasonable to me. I had plenty of questions for guys in here and in Driver and felt reasonably confident that things were going to be okay.

When the build was complete we had an issue with the injectors because they were the wrong impedence... so I think we had a couple of failed starts before that issue was figured out and the stock ones put back in. They got the car to start, had to wrestle a bit with error codes from the shims they put in but otherwise I was under the impression everything was going to be fine. I then took it down to Intec Racing for a tune- paying close attention to take it easy and not get anywhere near boost.

On an initial evaluation from Intec's guys the build actually looked reasonable. It wasn't until things went sideways on the dyno that the degree of negligence became apparent. Starting with the fact that the front motor mounts were totally absent of any fastening at all- the nuts were nowhere to be found. This resulted in significant twisting of the engine and subsequently the wastegate actuator arm on one side was catching- and unable to open... In addition, Progressive left plugs that were a stage hotter than stock- one of which was showing signs of detonation. Fortunately, that was discovered BEFORE the dyno runs and promptly replaced at Intec. More superficially in some respects was the fact that they'd used some sort of unorthodox combination of improper oil and cooling lines to the turbos... and the fittings were bound to fail over the shorter term. There was some other overall "jank" workmanship- but there were some things I think htey did reasonably well. The gauges were installed nicely

Anyway, when it became clear that an engine rebuild was on the books Intec stepped up to plate and took a share of the responsibility for the occurrence. I'll be doing a review on them after we get things sorted out... hopefully soon. I talked to Progressive about having them step up for some of the things they were directly responsible for that unquestionably contributed. They indicated that they warned me that the kit wasn't made for the car and that they'd be happy to take the car back and fix it (which, judging by the stories I've read above is essentially the golden words to avoid a lawsuit)... I pointed out the series of events and the pictures taken of a number of their mistakes- they said there was nothing they could do.

As has been said before- after seeing what they'd done the first time around... there was no FREAKIN way I was taking it back there... not even for an oil change.

Last edited by Eno; 06-24-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Posted the shop rating instead...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Eno

Thumbs up Intec Racing, Kent WA

Well I notice there's still nothing more in the way of shop rating posts... but I also don't see anything anywhere telling people NOT to post ratings- so here I go again with a double post.

SHOP: Intec Racing, Kent WA.

Entire build list:

700bb jwt twin turbo 350z variant with single intercooler
Cosworth Pistons
Cosworth Head Gasket
Cosworth Main / Rod Bearings
Brian Crower Forged Rods
ARP L19 Head / Main Studs
Greddy 9 plugs
DW 850cc injectors
DW 300lph fuel pump
Fuel rails / return / regulator
Pathfinder VQ35DE cooling package
5/16ths MD Spacer
Resonated Test Pipes
Osiris Uprev Tune
IPT JATCO RE5R05A Built Transmission
Mizu Slim Fans 2x14"
Mizu rad
NRG Hood Dampeners
Wilwood BBK Front and Back
Various ceramic coating

(Full engine tear down / rebuild)

1) Workmanship/ quality of work:::: 5
2) Pricing:::: 5
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition: 5
4) Customer service:::: 5
5) Honesty:::: 5
6) Willing to stand behind work::: 5
7) Would you use this shop again::: 5
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend::: 5
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform::: The car 4.5 (I think even they learned a bit about the AT versions of the car) / The Turbo 5
10) Do they have a professional looking shop.:::: 4
10a) Do they have a professional shop: 5
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed: 5
12) Was your car completed on the date promised:::: 3
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery..big or small: Yes.

Explanation on points.

Call it what you want, but these guys made the difference between keeping the car and just walking away from it and learning the lesson. I'll never forget the sudden awkwardness around the shop when the last dyno pull ended abruptly and "the boys" were pouring over the engine compartment with flashlights. The engine sounded like a diesel... running really rough. They checked and rechecked things for hours- until almost midnight. Then they helped me get to a hotel, networked extensively and had narrowed down the cause of the engine failure to about 90% certainty. I think everyone knew what it was but didn't want to skim over something stupid and go right to the appocalypse.

One of the owners came up to me to lay it out for me and the assumption was a bent rod resulting from a number of different factors that became clear later on (see my G35 TT Take Two thread). He said in no uncertain terms words to the effect "This happened in our shop, on our dyno and we fully intend on fulfilling our obligations regarding our involvement in this happening here." They took a huge chunk out of the labour costs and not only that made a series of 0 labour cost upgrade suggestions that REALLY improved the overall build.

Of course, all this had to happen right in the throes of race season startup so the shop was in the middle of their big ramp up. It is, after all, called Intec Racing- and that's what they do best. The world can't slam to a halt just because there's a car with an Alberta plate sitting there with a broke engine... and I was away a LOT at the time and couldn't have used the car anyway. I had no objection to being lowered on the priority totem pole but appreciated frequent updates from the owners and numerous pics to stay acquainted with the program. There were a couple of hiccups regarding the acquisition of some parts but nothing outside of what a person expects with a substantial project.

By the time the block was done at the machine shop all the parts were sitting in the shop waiting to be installed. This made the rebuild quite quick and painless (for me, anyway!) Their VQ builder (Andrew) said the block came together beautifully and the techs who completed the build (Mike and Bobby) got everything buttoned up with surgical precision. One of the guys at my next shop, Monkey Nutz Racing- which was more local to me and subsequently polished off the build later on- looked over the car top to bottom, inside and out... remarking "I like these guys!" When asked what he meant exactly "These guys at Intec did a great job."

About the appearance of the shop itself... if you didn't get a chance to see how these guys work, and how immaculate things are as they're working on different engines or parts you might get a sense that it was a bit dirty. It's by no means a doctor's office... So to be fair to the analysis at a glance there is a lot going on in there- but parts are all meticulously cleaned or serviced as necessary before going into the car. So sure, 4.5 in appearance... but a 5 in the professional quality of the shop itself and all of its components- including the staff.

I waiver a little in my evaluation regarding the time but again in fairness the shop was very busy and I have to accept that just because I book tickets to fly down on a certain date doesn't mean that everything automatically has to work perfectly and on schedule. The machine shop was extremely delayed in finishing the block- but DID machine it to exquisite specifications to tolerences I can't even begin to understand but that Andrew raved about. There were also a few delays where there were races that staff needed to attend. THAT, folks, is the industry and I totally get it... but anyone who is getting into this and perhaps unaware of what to expect (probably the only people who read these ratings anymore) should consider themselves warned.

A lot of things happened on my last weekend there- like the car not starting the day before I was supposed to take it home. The Uprev GT I thought would be installed before I left never got put in (though I think that might have been a bit of insurance against me getting trigger happy during the break in) and the boost controller didn't make it in either (again... not really necessary at that point). To their credit, on a Saturday night the boys were up working on the car and finishing things off until after 10pm. It did somewhat restrict our opportunity to shake and bake the car and check for problems...

In terms of the problems I've had, big or small... again- ALL of these builds are going to have problems and unfortunately with Intec being farther away I was very concerned with how these were going to get fixed. One of the owners- during a rather worried phone call after my engine started shutting into limp mode, a strong gas smell and dash warning indicators- said he'd make his way up (a 4 hour drive) and ensure that things got running properly again. Fortunately, Intec networked with Monkey Nutz and I networked with the forums and all those issues were identified and resolved. All of these points contribute to the 5 in "stands behind their work."

My final visit to Intec has been delayed somewhat- mostly because of my schedule and also somewhat because I've found an extremely competent shop in Monkey Nutz Racing- located 20 minutes away from me versus 4-5 hours (including the whole customs waits). I will, however, be back when the time permits and let them put their tuning skills to the test!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
MY EXPERIENCES ONLY WITH THE BELOW SHOPS!

Mixed Bag of Shops East Coast Shops since New Years 2005!

if considered off topic, deleting will not offend me.

Name of Shop::::
Function Tuned, Hills Garage, AAM, JE Import Performance, Elite Importz

List your entire build list.::::
2005 Stock Block Vortech Supercharger RevUp with Unichip on a 6mt G35C
APS Tall Boy Plenum
AAM Plenum Spacer and Intake (not at the same time as APS for the smartazzes)
MREV2
Strup Headers
TiTech Test Pipes
Stillen Y pipe
AAM 3 inch single exhaust G35
Fast Intensions Exhaust
400cc/600cc DW injectors
Hotch... Sways F&R
Many Dyno Runs
Replaced OEM shocks
Removed and Installed Blower for maitenance
Paint Shop Recommendations (A&R Autoboy) D&V AutoBody
Countless phone calls

1) Workmanship/ quality of work:

JE IP Outstanding
FT Execellent
Hills Outstanding
AAM Great
Elite Oustanding

2) Pricing::::
JE IP Best Around
FT Market
Hills Under Market close to JE
AAM Over Market
Elite Market

3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition:::: Same...decent, not cleaned ever! lol..then again my car is rarely dirt

4) Customer service::::
JE IP Excellent always schedules me when he knows I can be in and out. will call the day before if appt cant be met
FT Excellent, always follows up with...is everything working ok
Hills Unherd of Off the Chaing Rediculous Support...lol (maybe they just like me..lol)
AAM Excellent
Elite: Excellent, went out of thier way on a friday after the shop closed to get a clutch in for me at no extra cost, still offered a break on the price.

5) Honesty::::
JE IP Perfect... "hey man...anymore boost and the block is going to let go...are you sure you want to try it?" gotta love that!
FT Good (wink@Zruggerns Post about Red vs Blue gage...I side with JB lol)
Hills Perfect... "I wouldnt do it"
AAM Perfect
Elite Perfect... Hey man you left your wallet!

**edit**
6) Willing to stand behind work::: this means I had something go wrong after work. never had anything go wrong with any of my AAM work

JE IP 100%
FT 100%
Hills 100%
AAM never have anything go wrong...this is N/A, however I have used them the least but rock more of their products if that make sense.
Elite 100%

7) Would you use this shop again::: YES
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend::: YES, I never tell folks NOT to go to AAM, but because I have close friends has had major issues with them.... I just say do your research and find out what each shop has to offer. I would take my car there. Custom single exhaust will be made one of these days..just dont have the time.
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform::: OUSTANDING we are very fortunate to have so many options within an hour or two here on the East Coast. All shops have strengths and weaknesses... cant go wrong, if you know the strengths of each one..hopefully this post and thread will aid everyone.

10) Do they have a professional looking shop.:::: YES, I must admit JE is a little more on the grunge side of things, but they dont take time to sweep and mop when cars need to be delivered ontime. FT and HILLS top notch. Honestly I sort of like the raw, oil, and parts look at JE IP over a shop that has clean white floors....lol

11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed::: unlike most VQ customers I consistently talk about price and my budget. I let them know how much I have and thats it...dont even suggest ad-ons when you know I only have X. I see many customers bend over and take it for a simple lack of asking why, or is there an alternative. The lack of education of these people who want to build MONSTER cars is flabergasting! I built freaking fighter jets for 6+ years back in th day and I still seek the advice of those who do this day in and day out.

12) Was your car completed on the date promised:::: ALWAYS I DONT PLAY THAT STUFF!

13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery..big or small:::::
Yes all small and minor
1. FT: Crank Sensor tripped a light after clutch from FT. Returned car next night, picked up following morning...never has an issue sense
2. Hills Garage:Yes, after my sways a small bolt was loose and making noise, returned next day fixed on the spot...even tripple checked all parts swaped, plus OEM bolts in the same areas
3. JE Import Performance:
A.)After 2.87 pulley upgrade, 255 FP, and tune the blower belt got distroyed in like 2 miles after I left the shop. I was like "hey man you had it last! He was like "when was the last time you changed it?" I was like "never". It had well over 20K miles on that cog belt! Jame as JE was like "Consider youself lucky!"

I now keep two in the trunk! LOL

B.)Forgot to give me the old 3.12 pulley. I sold it, and since I did, they shipped it to the new buyer for free!

I had a clutch go out the day of a 800 mile trip. Dave at FT, Frank and Hills, and Chris at Elite all came to my aid. This was a Friday after 4pm. I had a 877 mile DC to STL trip party to get to that I was HOSTING! Clutch was installed and I was on the road thanks to FT, HILLS, and Elite, Elite put the clutch in for me that go round.

The Vortech Instructions where wrong and Frank from Hills gave me support after hours in comfirming that the instructions was wrong, but could I be smarter than vortech.

Pros FT: knowledge many , many successful buids.
Cons FT: Time, its feast of famine at his shop he ALWAYS has one or two but sometime he gets like 10 at a time. The fault that I see is that he doesnt tell them to wait. They drop the car off and it sits for a week untouched. I think waiting until the Day to start work would yield favor in this....its one of my pet peevs not to have my car availbal...lol
Not many Unique Shop builds however dont forget the boost AWD 350Z!

JE Import Performance:
Pros... V8 350z drift car and many UNIQUE builds under their belt, to include RB26 swaps Shop looks like a shop... they are there to work and the prices are lower than most.
Cons... Too daum far from DC...lol Takes me an hour and change under "light" boost to get there...lol Little to no advertising... shop could do so much more. No local event presence other than the drift track...but I feel thats enough with that V8 beast. lol

Hills Garage
Pros Hills: Friendly, makes you feel at home sort of guy. Talks too daum much (like me) and could be knocking out work, however those conversation are worth having a pen and paper handy. He explains everything he knows in great detail and explains the pros and cons of doing vs not doing.

I think FT can benefit from explaining the basic to many of the newb customers. In my experience some folks dont have a clue and since its a simple part/process/issue.. Dave@FT may overlook the need to explain. I have noticed that, but I understand, but freggin noobs need to ask more question when you are paying 10K. Annoy the shop, let them know that you CARE about your MONEY and your CAR!
Cons Hills: his Azz is right down the road from JE thus a nice hike from DC, but even FT is 45mins away from me too...new shop as his just parted from AAM... smaller shop so volume may become an issue over time.

Elite Importz
Pros: Awesome people, great service, top notch
Cons: Remove and replace only, simple to major bolt ons to include engine swaps but no tuning....yet anyways....lol

AAM: Pros: Oustanding parts list with proven performance
Cons: Serious negative local reputation from well known cars and members. From my experience the issue is management, not customer service. I personaly have never had a single issue.

100% honest post, I hope its inline with the thread and I hope it helps both forum members and the shops improve. Again, I will use all of them in the future and I continue to try to keep the air clear.

Even with negative feedback and post/pictures...how many times has your order been wrong at McDonalds? Are you ever going back there? shizzil happens, Mo Boost.... Mo Problems.

Final configuration 411RWHP Dyno Dynamics!

2011 Update!

Name of Shop:::: Hills Garage

T-Trim Vortech SC running 2.87 pulley for about another week. 2.62 inroute
Removed Strup back to factory headers
Evo 10 Front Mount Upgrade IC (my idea worked perfectly)
Test Pipes
Fast Intension true dual 2.5
AAM plenum spacer
600cc DW injectos
Greddy catch can
Oil Pan Spacer, I believe AAM
Wisco Pistons
Crower Rods
Stock Heads
Race bearings throughout with freggin ZERO clearance issues, 10x stock specs.
RPM bumped via UpRev to 7500 rpms
485RWHP Dyno Dynmaics

1) Workmanship/ quality of work = absoultely amazing, who redoes an engine after "so called shop" blue printed and balanced it well within stock specs? someone who knows better when running boost!
2) Pricing:::: too low to list
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition:::: All good except the freggin gas, I never have gas in my car after. lol (inside joke)
4) Customer service:::: Unmatched, calls daily, pics, emails, visits, issues escalation process, these guys/gals will yell at your vendors if shizzil is wrong, they way it should be. dont sell crap, you wont get yelled at. LOL
5) Honesty:::: 100%
6) Willing to stand behind work::: 150%
7) Would you use this shop again::: without question, even if I lived in St. Louis, Id trailer it back and drop it off.
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend::: to my son in 16 years, he is two now. To my other son who is 1 now in 17 years.
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform::: Unmatched... the thing i like about Hills is that Frank explains as you goes through your car. In the Air Force when I tore down and rebuilt F15s, we had to look 18 inches around each area you worked on. Hills does the same. Things totally unassociated with the build he will bring up, offer his opinion, and then let you decide. I cant tell you how many times he said, I dont worry about this or that on my car, I wouldnt waist the money! Now thats service.
10) Do they have a professional looking shop.:::: As is a shop thats being used. Yes! They are now working on a newer one, but it wasnt like you can drop pizza upside down and pick it up and eat it, however the grease and dirt proves they dont have time to sanitize a floor when there is a 3 month wait just to get on the lift. (all changing soon I hear with new shop) as in two shops.
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed::: lower than we discussed!
12) Was your car completed on the date promised:::: no it wasnt, it was a day early.
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery..big or small::::: yes unrealted to hills, my new lexus ISF blue paint job sucks azz.

Comments........... enough said above.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 09-21-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
nyqueenz

Well I Think Its Time I Post Up...

Name of Shop: Hills Garage

List your entire build list:

Mod List:

Engine: Built VQ35 Short block, Pauter rods, Wiseco 8:8:1 Pistons, ARP L19, HR head gasket, REVUP oil pump, Headgames stage 2 headwork, Ferrea valves, AAM fuel rails, Custom Hills Garage Fuel return system (to include custom 1 gallon Surge Tank with Deatschwerk fuel pump), Deatschwerks 1000cc injectors, Haltech full standalone, Mishimoto performance Radiator, Mishimoto 350z fan shroud, Mishimoto Carbon Fiber catch can, Pathfinder cooling kit, Greddy 20g twin turbo kit, Greddy type RS blow-off valve, Greddy Evo TT exhaust, HKS EVC6, Z1 silicone hose kit, Fluidamper Crank pully, Cosworth Plenum (custom powder coated red), GTM oil cooler, K&N breather filters (Carbon Fiber), GTM CF valve covers, Rear JDM cover

Drivetrain: New Nissan 6mt CD009, Exedy Twin disk, B&M short shifter, Nismo vented differential cover, Carbon Fiber 6mt shifter (custom)

Suspension: KW variant 3 coilovers, SPL bushing (rear diff), SPL "A" Arm. Hot Chics sways, SPL links

Wheels/Tires: Work T1s (red), (19x9.5 front, 19x11 rear); Nitto (255/35 front, 305/30 rear)

Brakes: 15-inch 8 piston Alliance front, 14-inch 6 piston rear

Exterior: Nismo bumper, Nismo CF rear diffuser, CF trunk

Interior: HKS Camp2 system, dual touch screens, HKS EVC boost controller, Defi gauges, Greddy turbo timer, Full custom Carbon Fiber interior to include a full black G35 interior swap and custom suede, custom limo carpet. Sparco leather seats (rear matched), Sparco Carbon Fiber steering wheel, 5 point harness and harness bar. (Thanks Hills Garage)

1) Workmanship/quality of work - Above 5 if that’s the limit – Frank went beyond his ability to complete a car project that had such a short deadline. Truly very high quality workmanship Can't beat that anywhere.
2) Pricing - 5 Anyone who goes custom anything knows you gonna come out of the wallet point blank.
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition – brand new car when I got it back.. if you only knew what went into my project.
4) Customer service - Above 5 IMO - If you have any problem Hills Garage stands by their work Hands down. Anyone that stays past 2am to exhaust every avenue on what the issue is.. That’s going beyond Norm customer service. Both Frank and Suzanne provided daily updates via phone, text, and email while I'm overseas.
5) Honesty - 5
6) Willing to stand behind work - 5 hands down
7) Would you use this shop again - Upgrades..
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend - 5 most defiantly. I have recommend a lot of my friends to Hills - Special thanks to Corey for suggesting Hills Garage to me back in 2008
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform - 5 Knows more than Nissan..
10) Do they have a professional looking shop - 5 Yes and expanding
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed - 5 Well if you like to add things like me it may be more.. but my pockets were deep.. no sweat. Hills is very fair and will stick to what they put in black and white.
12) Was your car completed on the date promised - 5 - I told Frank he could keep the car as long as he needed it. However, he promised to have it done before the Ocean City Car Show and sure enough it was done.
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery, big or small? Had a fuel issue coming home from Importfest in Canada, called Frank in the middle of the night brought the car in that Sunday when I got back in MD.. Tuesday afternoon car fixed NP. He stands by his work.

Shoutouts to Frank the Tuner...
Proof is in the pudding.. need I say more.

Photo Shoot..

Last edited by nyqueenz; 09-27-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:58 AM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GTM shop REVIEW

GTM 4.0 stroked TT T3071 0.86 A/R, 9.0 comp, stage 4 heads, block girdle, 272 cams, HR cooling mod, water/meth, IPT built A/T, Wilwood brakes, DSS pro axles, hotchkiss, enkei, toyo, etc etc.

Engine was paid for in May 2011, told 3 weeks to build, and now 11-17-2012, engine has not been run yet. In October 2011, the engine was complete I was told..I flew out to cali in jan 12 and the engine was still a short block and the pistons were not coated as promised. Sam told me "I told you you didnt need that and you agreeded", which was completely false....

Install was told to be 30 days yet, again, its been over 1 yr and still in process.

1) Workmanship/quality of work -1-after car was sent to another shop, SFR, motor was turned over, rod bolt was found to be hitting block, engine yanked and remachined..lost 1 week plus and 650.00. Also, turbos were found to be hanging on with all bolts loose, no heat shields etc etc...
2) Pricing - 1 ripoff..SFR labor rates are about half what GTM charges.
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition – 1 disssassembled after legal action necessary to remove car from GTM due to inability/lack of desire to finish build after more than 1 year and long block barely finished.4) Customer service - 1 Sam always promises exceptional time frames but they never came true...2-3,000 in parts lost by GTM while in their shop.5) Honesty - 1-promised 4.0 TT stroker engine would take 3 weeks to build when he didnt even have pistons in stock!! I called arias myself and was told when they begin machining, it will take 5 weeks just for pistons...in other words, sam knew he was lying when he told me 3 weeks which eventually took him 1.5 years to build.
6) Willing to stand behind work - 1-Sam promised to reimburse Tim at SFR for having to fix GTM's rod bolt issue but never has paid Tim (600).
7) Would you use this shop again - 1-NEVER!
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend - 1-not if it was good friend.
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform - 3
10) Do they have a professional looking shop - 3-many lifts but nobody there but 2 janitors...papers all over the office and on the floor.
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed -1 no....Sam tried to charge me for items that were never delivered..i had on 2 occassions to ask him to look at the invoice and see that I had paid for items that he owed me. GTM lost 500 worth of my powder coated IC piping, lost my HR cooling mod pipes (650), Lost numerous brackets etc for about 2-3k lost.
12) Was your car completed on the date promised - 1-no...1.5 yrs later and car was taken to SFR to complete..In 1.5 yrs, all GTM did was build a non running TT stroker long block and remove my old engine.....about 35 k spent, 1.5 yrs of time and thats what i got.
13) problems with car ongoing due to GTM work/lack of work!!!!!!

photo is old vortech SC system prior to entering GTM...Wish i would have kept it as is as I have been 1.5 yrs w/o a vehicle..had I been told the truth concerning the timne frame, i would have never undertaken this project.

moral of the story? GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND HAVE AN ATTORNEY ON STANDBY! If you still insist on using GTM, you have been warned.

SFR is now my shop of choice as Tim can manufacture ANYTHING you want, unlike GTM which just wants to install "cookie cutter" type parts builds.

Update 1/14/2015- GTM's 26000 dollar motor siezed on Tom's dyno after 5 minutes...some weird plastic red piece was left inside the engine..btw, GTM sizes their pistons and rods differently than anyone else so that you remain dependent on them for parts..rather than fix gtm's stuff, I opted to go with crower rods and je pistons in normal dimensions...

Heard Sam Zawahara just burned one of his favorite customers by cashing his checks and not delivering the turbo sustem...seems Sam is burning all his bridges....good freaking ridance to this fatazz POS ripoff artist!!!
Attached Thumbnails The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-best-photo-head-on-engine.jpg  

Last edited by ogiehooker; 01-14-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 AM
alove112

Dynosty Louisville, KY

List your entire build list.:::: http://www.dynosty.com/blog/
Boosted Performance Single Turbo Kit
Precision 6266 CEA .81 ATR Turbo
550cc Bosch injectors
320LPH DW Fuel Pump
HKS blow-off valve
AAM 3" Exhaust
Haltech Platinum Pro ECU (including Dual Wideband, Boost controller)
Stri Boost Gauge

Final numbers:
417rwhp at 9-10 psi on stock block running 93 octane!

1) Workmanship/ quality of work 5 Team Dynosty paid excellent attention to detail and quality of work.
2) Pricing::: 4.5 Tuning rate was $150 per hour but worth every penny!
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition:::: 5
4) Customer service:::: 5 Customer service was WELL ABOVE average!
5) Honesty:::: 5 Very honest group of guys.
6) Willing to stand behind work::: 5
7) Would you use this shop again::: 5 Yes! next project, bottom end rebuild.
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend::: 5 Yes, already have.
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform::: 5 These guys KNOW the VQ! The entire visit was a great learning experience.
10) Do they have a professional looking shop.::::5 Shop was amazingly clean and well organized.
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed:::5 Yes, final price was fair and accurate.
12) Was your car completed on the date promised:::: 5 Yes, tune was completed within 4 hours.
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery..big or small::::: 5

Thanks Hal and Team Dynosty for the excellent job. I look forward to working with you guys soon on my bottom end rebuild.

Last edited by alove112; 12-24-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Adding URL
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Triji

^^^ Warms me heart and makes me feel very comfortable having Dynosty do my build and ship my car 1/2 way across the Country to get it installed and tuned by them as well.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:19 PM
ogiehooker

Default Speed force racing

Name of Shop::::
SPEED FORCE RACING SANTEE CA -great fabricator but sllloow
GTM stage 4-t 3071 0.86 AR, 4.0 non sleeved stroker, 9.0 arias, GTM 272 cams, stage 3 porting w 1mm oversized valves, Ti retainers springs etc. ID 2000cc injectors (E85 future),motordyne 3" true dual exhaust, kinetix intake (for now), haltech ECU PB for now, AEM water methanol injection, IPT 5 AT, setrab 40 row trans and oil coolers, agency 56 mm radiator, twin 14" spal fans, numerous SFR custom parts i.e. tube front end, radiator air plate, billet catch can pwr steering fluid, windshield washer cans , radiator overflow cans, w/m/battery box to rear of car/trunk.

1) Workmanship/ quality of work 5..Tim Richards is a freaking master fabricator! ANYTHING you can dream up he can build...usually even has better ideas on your own dreams.
2) Pricing::::moderate to excellent. 4-5
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition:::: haven't seen it yet but he did tell me once that he has washed it while it is there,,,photos he sends look nice and clean...cleaned engine bay for me free...
4) Customer service:::: 5 always willing to talk to me, explain etc etc..he is busy and sometimes has to call me back which he often forgets to do...stays in contact via email and text...sends photos but I have to BEG him to do it at times...
5) Honesty:::: 4...although he does excellent work, I have head a few excuses about why things aren't done on time...after the fact I hear about high profile customers that were in the shop waiting on sema shows or ballers so my build was pushed aside.
6) Willing to stand behind work::: 5-he often underestimates the cost of his custom parts and ends up spending waaay too much time building them but usually sticks to what price was promised (except when I change my demands).
7) Would you use this shop again::: 2..I WOULD use them but I would need some type of time frame agreed upon and in legal writing to make sure the car doesn't get pushed aside or sat on for too long...ON SECOND THOUGHT, I wouldn't use them unless you are Tony Hawk (who once got my car bumped) or a big baller getting ready for a sema show (also got my car bumped), I
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend::: Yes but would make them aware of the time issues....slowwww to get things done, at least for me and I have heard others complain also.
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform::: 5-Tim has been building these and other cars for awhile...he isn't just focusing on one platform.
10) Do they have a professional looking shop.::::never seen in person, only through emailed photos.
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed::: its CONSTANTLY changing as I add more and more things to my DO list after I see the crazy things he can custom build!
12) Was your car completed on the date promised:::: NOOOOOOOOOOOO...NEVER!
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery..big or small::::: Car is still being worked on after 3 yrs in SFR's shop and 1.5 yrs at GTM getting BF in the ****.

Comments...........
SFR can build you the wildest, most radical things you can dream up at an affordable price, it just takes a loooonnng time to get it done...BUSY SHOP! QUALITY WORK! NO BS CRAP WORK.

UPDATE 10-15-2015

Well, car has been at SFR for 3 yrs now...its' taken 1 year for Tim to rebuild the fckd up GTM motor and install it, along with seats and roll bar.

As stated earlier, Tim makes great stuff, but FOR REAL, it takes him 4 x as long to do something as he says. Exampl-quoted 3 months to rebuild motor, roll bar and seats-its been 1 year....NUMEROUS excuses i.e. wife is sick, baby is in hospital, IRS is on me, cut finger (finger photo was over 2 yrs old on the internet)....

11-06-2015 car was sitting for 2 weeks to diagnose a foaming power steering line..he immediately built a baffle for the reservoir etc etc before seeing he crossed the lines....I am on my 3rd month waiting to dyno the car as these minor 5 minute issues turn into weeks and months......

His mechanics and himself don't seem to know **** about diagnosing problems...he plays checkers when the game is chess...can only see 1 move ahead at a time...had to ship car to Jtran which has been a fck up as well.....can't find anyone that wants to make an honest living turning wrenches.

Attached Thumbnails The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-water-methanol-battery-trunk-box-3.jpg   The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-catch-can-with-filer-attached.jpg   The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-engine-compartment-coated-top-view.jpg   The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-20131003_15414underside-car-front.jpg   The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-powdercoated-core-support-installed-oil-coolers-only.jpg  

The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-ic-pipes-and-passenger-side-brackets.jpg   The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-catch-cans-new-mounted-side-view-and-radiator-pipe.jpg   The Official Shop Rating Thread!!-longblock-turbos-mounted.jpg  

Last edited by ogiehooker; 05-08-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 02-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Just wanted to post up a quick recent post for SOHO motorsports here in Charlotte NC. Nik is a very intelligent dude and knows what hes doing. He just finished up my 03 Greddy TT and did an excellent job. Highly recommenced. Soho is legit and can deliver whatever your needs are, tune, built block, custom turbo kit, they can do it. If you want a honest, very knowledgable shop look no further. Soho is the place!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 AM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Name of Shop:::: Dynosty

List your entire build list.:::: Momentum GT35R turbo kit, JWT lightweight flywheel and clutch setup, Tomei Expreme Ti exhaust.

1) Workmanship/ quality of work: (5) Highest quality work I have ever received from a shop
2) Pricing:::: (5)
3) Condition car was returned vs drop off condition:::: (5)
4) Customer service:::: (5)
5) Honesty:::: (5)
6) Willing to stand behind work::: (5)
7) Would you use this shop again::: (5)
8) Would you recommend this shop to a friend::: (5)
9) What do you think of their overall knowledge of this platform::: (5) I feel like if there were a rating system, Dynosty would be rated #1 for our platform. Hal and the other guys in the shop know the Z33 like they designed it.
10) Do they have a professional looking shop.:::: (5) Shop was in incredible condition at all times. The few times I walked into the back to check on my car with Hal, the floors were clean enough to eat off of.
11) Was the final price on your invoice the same as agreed::: (5) Yes, the bill was a bit more than I expected going in. But I also messed a few things up when putting it all together.
12) Was your car completed on the date promised:::: (5)
13) Did you have any issues with your car after delivery..big or small::::: (5) None so far, not expecting any either.

Huge thank you to Dustin and Hal at Dynosty. They were able to communicate effectively throughout the entire build process and help me fix the few things that I managed to mess up while putting the kit together. The price was a bit more than I had expected, but that's what happens when you don't really know what you're doing and they have to fix all of your mistakes. The car is running smooth as ever now, and feels like an entirely new car.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:07 PM
ogiehooker

Default Jtran sucks as well

I have tried GTM and SFR

just another shop that says "2 weeks and we can finish it" and 4 months later hardly anything is done.....

**** POOR...I hadn't read one bad thing about them yet once my car is there, it just sits....another fckd up car shop that talks big **** and can't back it up.

talking to Charles at CJ, Nik at soho and dynosty.....not sure where to send it yet but it will be my 4th major shop in 5 years to get a tt build done......

**** FCKING POOR!!!!!

Last edited by ogiehooker; 05-15-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-10-2016, 12:13 PM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
I have tried GTM and SFR and now Jtran ....ALL of them appear to be fck ups....car has been at Jtran 4 months now....Johnny says he'll send pics of completed work but doens't...has been working on replacing my rad fans and oil filter cooler (3-4 hrs work), and can't accomplish it in over 1 months time...

just another shop that says "2 weeks and we can finish it" and 4 months later hardly anything is done.....

**** POOR...I hadn't read one bad thing about them yet once my car is there, it just sits....another fckd up car shop that talks big **** and can't back it up.

talking to Charles at CJ, Nik at soho and dynosty.....not sure where to send it yet but it will be my 4th major shop in 5 years to get a tt build done......

**** FCKING POOR!!!!!
I've taken my car to Dynosty and given them my business multiple times. I absolutely recommend Dynosty, top notch shop and they will make sure to get the job done. Seriously, if you have any questions at all just let me know. Or feel free to give them a call, tell them I sent you. They'll take care of you and your car as if it was their own.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:57 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't rely on shops, Do your own work......

And yah, you may still need a machine shop to do some things.....

But most can be done at home.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:38 PM
ogiehooker

Default shops

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Don't rely on shops, Do your own work......

And yah, you may still need a machine shop to do some things.....

But most can be done at home.
I have more money than time...I don't live with my car as I am a medical traveller so......no place to work on it.....
Old 06-26-2016, 03:51 PM
ogiehooker

Default Jtran-bolt ons only-sow, lazy, incompetent!

After having my car at GTM for 1.5 years, SFR for 3 years and now Jtran for 6 months, my car is at SOHO in NC. Below are the issues I had with Jtran.

The car sat from January until February with no work done until I flew in and went over everything I wanted done. Johnny told me he could finish it in 2 weeks and I laughed as I have heard that TOO many times. I said I'd be happy if he could finish it in 3 months.

The car was initially sent to JTran in January 2016 for 10-15k worth of work. Afte 6 months, the gauges were replaced in the interior, a CF hood, front bumper and rear wing were installed and new maradyne fans and sandwich plate were installed. Total of about 3500 wrth of work (3-4 days) were finished in 6months.

The overheating issue was NOT resolved and neither SFR nor JTran inspected or replaced the thermostat, Nik at SOHO discovered. The power steering can leaking was not solved and not 1 bit of fabricatin ws done (I wanted about 5k in fab work).

I constntly asked for photos of the work done and was never sent anything as Harris, (former customer turned shop manager) told me they were too busy to take photos. Afte threatening to pull the car then and there, low and behold photos arrive.

When I told them the car would be leaving soon and I requestd an inventory of my 3-4k of parts list, i was told they wee too busy to inventory my parts. (sounds like some lazy *** **** no?).

Amber (office chick) promises the world yet delivers little....won't answer phone calls or emails (she says she has 60,000 emils to answer-probably potential customers but she can't email CURRENT, PAYING customers).

I stayed there 8 hours one day to observe the workers and saw maybe 2 hours of work done...ON OTHER PEOPLES CARS!

They can't seem to diagnose problems and should be used for simple, bolt on projects only, i.e. brakes, exhaust, wheels tc.

There must be a reason Ron Bergenholtz, the main engine builder left them.

Amber talked how good they were and wanted to help finish my car due to all the issues I had had with GTM and SFR yet they turned out to be just as bad, if not worse.

AT LEAST NIK AT SOHO COMMUNICATES VIA PHONE AND EMAIL AND SENDS PICS W/O ME HAVING TO ASK!

Use JTran at your own risk-6 months time and only 3-4 days of work done......**** POOR!

Last edited by ogiehooker; 06-27-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
After having my car at GTM for 1.5 years, SFR for 3 years and now Jtran for 6 months, my car is at SOHO in NC. Below are the issues I had with Jtran.

The car sat from January until February with no work done until I flew in and went over everything I wanted done. Johnny told me he could finish it in 2 weeks and I laughed as I have heard that TOO many times. I said I'd be happy if he could finish it in 3 months.

The car was initially sent to JTran in January 2016 for 10-15k worth of work. Afte 6 months, the gauges were replaced in the interior, a CF hood, front bumper and rear wing were installed and new maradyne fans and sandwich plate were installed. Total of about 3500 wrth of work (3-4 days) were finished in 6months.

The overheating issue was NOT resolved and neither SFR nor JTran inspected or replaced the thermostat, Nik at SOHO discovered. The power steering can leaking was not solved and not 1 bit of fabricatin ws done (I wanted about 5k in fab work).

I constntly asked for photos of the work done and was never sent anything as Harris, (former customer turned shop manager) told me they were too busy to take photos. Afte threatening to pull the car then and there, low and behold photos arrive.

When I told them the car would be leaving soon and I requestd an inventory of my 3-4k of parts list, i was told they wee too busy to inventory my parts. (sounds like some lazy as **** no?).

Amber (office chick) promises the world yet delivers little....won't answer phone calls or emails (she says she has 60,000 emils to answer-probably potential customers but she can't email CURRENT, PAYING customers).

I stayed there 8 hours one day to observe the workers and saw maybe 2 hours of work done...ON OTHER PEOPLES CARS!

They can't seem to diagnose problems and should be used for simple, bolt on projects only, i.e. brakes, exhaust, wheels tc.

There must be a reason Ron Bergenholtz, the main engine builder left them.

Amber talked how good they wee and wanted to help finish my car due to all the issues I had had with GTM and SFR yet they turned out to be just as bad, if not worse.

AT LEAST NIK AT SOHO COMMUNICATES VIA PHONE AND EMAIL AND SENDS PICS W/O ME HAVING TO ASK!

Use JTran at your own risk-6 months time and only 3-4 days of work done......**** POOR!

You have worse luck with your car than I do with mine!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM
ogiehooker

Default Bad luck

I had no idea anyone else has had isssues similar to mine! I have tried most of the name shps AND THEY ALL SUCK! Nik at SOHO at least communicates and asked for no money upront like JTRAN.

Another plus for SOHO is they appear to sub contract to a fabrictor (David Knight Performance) that does work for Penske during the day, and works on his own nights/wekends. He sounds like a really creative guy with reasonable prices

HOPEFULLY, betwen the 2 of them, I can have the car like I want it by October, but I am cautious as I have waited over 5 years and now on my 4th shop attempng to finish this thng.

Last edited by ogiehooker; 06-27-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Mine is all self inflicted since im doing all the work myself.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:18 PM
ogiehooker

Default work

If I had to do it all over again, I would do as much as possibe y myself...I could have blown the engine up twice by myself, saved tons of money and time..I assumed these 350z experts knew what they were doing....WRONG!!!

Quick Reply: The Official Shop Rating Thread!!