Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Some turbo (Precision) input

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some turbo (Precision) input

This is the turbo (Garrett) I currently have:

T04S JB T3/60-1
flow: 61 lbs/min
.70 A/R housing
60 TRIM wheel
.63 A/R housing
76 TRIM stg 3 wheel

Now, I have been looking at the Precision JB billet 6262 T4 .68 a/r (maybe .63 for better spool). There is a good chance I will be building the motor up this winter as well, so why not try something different.

Because of my turbo location, I would like to get the E compressor cover instad of the S. It is about 1" smaller in diamter, and that is the main reason for the E cover. If I do decide to build, I would be looking at a max of 500whp.

Does anybody have any experience with these turbos here? Quality? I did a quick search on the 6262 but not much came up. Looks like SoundPerformance did some runs on a built motor, but that is about it.

Any constructive input spec recomedations welcome. I can't find any compressor maps for this turbo either, but I read that it is simmilar to the 62-1 and the GT35r. I am still learning about turbos...

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-12-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run twin precisions (54mm) and like how they spool (non-billet, journal bearing). The covers are a little unique which is what allows them to flow to crazy psi levels. Mine are rated to around 450rwhp each (525bhp each).

SP with twin 6262's on a built motor with headwork, and cams made 1248rwhp (and didn't max those turbos). So they will make what you are looking for pretty easily.

Is 6265 same housing?

Tom
Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

I know that some of my friends at AMS have hit 700 AWHP on their Evos with this turbo. Pretty impressive little turbo. Just remember that all of the billet turbos like boost! The higher you go the more efficient they become!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by thom000001
i run twin precisions (54mm) and like how they spool (non-billet, journal bearing). The covers are a little unique which is what allows them to flow to crazy psi levels. Mine are rated to around 450rwhp each (525bhp each).

SP with twin 6262's on a built motor with headwork, and cams made 1248rwhp (and didn't max those turbos). So they will make what you are looking for pretty easily.

Is 6265 same housing?

Tom
Thanks Tom, and it does look like the 6265 has the same S housing as the standard 6262.

I was amazed at SP's 1248whp with that build, it actually prolonged my search because I got stuck reading the thread.

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
I know that some of my friends at AMS have hit 700 AWHP on their Evos with this turbo. Pretty impressive little turbo. Just remember that all of the billet turbos like boost! The higher you go the more efficient they become!
Those are some nice numbers, so I would be able to max out a stage 1 block with a 6262 on the 350z.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-12-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 AM
thom000001

Who knows, no ones maxed out a stage 1 block yet

tom

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Those are some nice numbers, so I would be able to max out a stage 1 block with a 6262 on the 350z.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you musta not searched very hard (unless you just searched on here). 6262 is the standard up grade on grand nationals and almost all 4 banger platforms. GN guys are making ~700 with that turbo at 24+psi

Not a common turbo for use bc you need a T3 or t4 flange and any kit that comes with those flanges already comes with a turbo about that same size.

Precision does not release compressor maps. Its smaller turbine than the gt35 by 6mm and about the same sized compressor.

Like SP said, they are designed for high PR's. If you are only tryin to run 12-15 psi, a garrett would be a better choice.

Last edited by str8dum1; 10-12-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by str8dum1
you musta not searched very hard (unless you just searched on here).
Yes, I only searched here.

6262 is the standard up grade on grand nationals and almost all 4 banger platforms. GN guys are making ~700 with that turbo at 24+psi

Not a common turbo for use bc you need a T3 or t4 flange and any kit that comes with those flanges already comes with a turbo about that same size.

Precision does not release compressor maps. Its smaller turbine than the gt35 by 6mm and about the same sized compressor.

Like SP said, they are designed for high PR's. If you are only tryin to run 12-15 psi, a garrett would be a better choice.
I would probably run in the 12-15psi range, and reading SP's thread, it does sound like the Garrett woul be a better choice. Well, better choice for my application anyways.

I will try to get the same turbo that I hav (details in original post) with an E compressor cover.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-12-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

subscribed.

i'll need to figure out which is the best way to go also sasha.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by binder
subscribed.

i'll need to figure out which is the best way to go also sasha.
Well, looks like you will have to find out how much HP you want. I already found an upgraded intercooler (good for 800hp). I am upgrading the intercooler piping to at least 2.75" maybe 3", although I think 3" is a bit too much.

I took everything off my car (except the exhaust piping) this weekend and came up with a much better way to route some stuff. It will be even easier to install than what I have on right now.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-12-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
str8dum1

if your turbo can really flow 61 pounds, that is more than capable for some big hp. well into the high 500's.

You should build your motor and then boost that 60-1!

Binder, you are getting a custom mount turbo as well. As powerlab is the only OTS kit with a T3 flange you could even swap a different turbo with. Not sure what 'direction' you are looking for. As you'll have to get a fully custom kit (or have an extra turbo) to use anything else

Last edited by str8dum1; 10-12-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 PM
binder

if your turbo can really flow 61 pounds, that is more than capable for some big hp. well into the high 500's.

You should build your motor and then boost that 60-1!

Binder, you are getting a custom mount turbo as well. As powerlab is the only OTS kit with a T3 flange you could even swap a different turbo with. Not sure what 'direction' you are looking for. As you'll have to get a fully custom kit (or have an extra turbo) to use anything else
well, i'm dumb when it comes to all this turbo stuff. I'm used to building natural bike motors so it's a change for me. I understand some supercharger stuff from old cars and my car now, but there is a TON of stuff for turbo chargers.

Sasha is building my kit. It will probably be with that garrett he runs now. I'd like to get it over 500 with pump gas. Pretty much as far as i can go on pump gas without having an unlimited budget for now. Getting it on and breaking 500 will be plenty for me now then once i'm out of medical school i'll have the cash and time to do a complete monster of a car.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM
str8dum1

thats cool. he'll have some real dynos before you get your kit done so that will be a good indication of what you can do.

Personally, I wouldnt bother as i bet his dynos wont be much better than what you have now. Just look at some sts dynos and your vortech is probably much stronger. Even if you spent all the money to build your motor, your seat of the pants return on your money would be small.

it a nice option if you werent FI before, but I'd think twice before swappng on what you have just to have 'turbo'
Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
BoostedProbe

thats cool. he'll have some real dynos before you get your kit done so that will be a good indication of what you can do.
I wish I had a built block right now, it would be nice to be able to throw some dyno numbers out there. Personally I really don't think there is a reason one can't make the same power as the other "proven" kits out there. The setup has no more/no less piping than the other kits, and the only limiting factors would be turbo and built engine.

Personally, I wouldnt bother as i bet his dynos wont be much better than what you have now. Just look at some sts dynos and your vortech is probably much stronger. Even if you spent all the money to build your motor, your seat of the pants return on your money would be small.

it a nice option if you werent FI before, but I'd think twice before swappng on what you have just to have 'turbo'
With a stock block maybe (do to the weak rods), although the torque curve would be much better on the turbo setup than on a supercharger. I would agree that the Vortech is better than the STS kit. The STS kit has too much piping (20' just on the IC side) and the heat loss through the exhaust lenght is significant. Again, I don't think there is any reason my setup can't make really good power.

With the turbo sitting where it does, I think there is a really good advantage. With this setup one can really open up the exhaust/downpipe of the turbo. There is no reason one couldn't go with a full straight 4" shot all the way to the back. From what I heard bigger is better.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../turbo2002.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...E/S1031299.jpg

I also recently changed the crossover pipe from 2" to 2.5", it really opened things up. I think the 2" crossover is too restrictive. This was proven with my dual widebands. Bank one with the 2" crossover was running richer than bank two which had the 2.5" piping. Once I changed the 2" inch crossover to 2.5", both banks were equal on the A/F scale. I didn't change anything on the tune, and teh widebands distance fro header did not change either.

I wish there was somebody out there right now with a built motor, I would send them a kit and let them see what it can do.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-12-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
binder

soon enough, soon enough.

str8, maybe total numbers i'm doing good on my vortech but like sasha says: torque curve. That's where these v8 guys around here are getting me. It would be nice to have almost the same torque at 4k as i do at redline.

also, another problem with the vortech is my ability to expand. It took pharm quite a bit of upgrades to get up to 500hp with his supercharger setup.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Precision turbo is slightly larger (6765SP) than the ones they are speaking of above. However, I can say that the quality is top notch. Precision is used by a number of local shops including Sound Performance and Dyno Tuned.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I wish there was somebody out there right now with a built motor, I would send them a kit and let them see what it can do.

I guess the problem is if you have a built low compression block there is likely turbo(s) on it already or at least a SC.

I will sell you my block, I am wishing I sold the car and bought a G37 with GTM TT kit that was the direction I was headed until I impulse bought $25,000 worth of parts maybe I will get a tune next week so i can have a big E-***** this winter and I wont feel like parting it out.

I would push your stock block if your planning on building anyway.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I guess the problem is if you have a built low compression block there is likely turbo(s) on it already or at least a SC.
Very true Gord, I don't think there are many built blocks up here to begin with anyway.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I will sell you my block, I am wishing I sold the car and bought a G37 with GTM TT kit that was the direction I was headed until I impulse bought $25,000 worth of parts maybe I will get a tune next week so i can have a big E-***** this winter and I wont feel like parting it out.

I would push your stock block if your planning on building anyway.
Yeah you did go a bit crazy there on the build, all at once too. I am sure it will be worth it at the end.

I could take the car down to Cam, but that's $1000 on the dyno just to see if I can blow the engine....I don't know. But then again Justing got 480whp on the stock block with the twins, then tuned it down to 420whp (I think).
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM
binder

bring it down to kentucky. have hal tune it
Old 10-13-2009, 09:29 AM
BoostedProbe

bring it down to kentucky. have hal tune it
I would love to take the car to Hal, but a 2000 (one way) mile road trip is not an option at this point.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
str8dum1

a proper tune should have a flattish trq line from 4k on. I've compared my dyno with a lot of other turbo kits, esp stuff on stock blocks. The area under the curve would have most people say 'its a drivers race'.

Now with a built block, you could compare PharmD's built t-trim to almost any similiar HP TT and again there wouldnt be enough different to make one option better than the other (based soley on power delivery)

Ya no reason that boosted's setup cant/wont make big power. I just dont like the oil return pump. But i've also never seen a sound performance car in real life either, so its not a informative opinion.

soon enough, soon enough.

str8, maybe total numbers i'm doing good on my vortech but like sasha says: torque curve. That's where these v8 guys around here are getting me. It would be nice to have almost the same torque at 4k as i do at redline.

also, another problem with the vortech is my ability to expand. It took pharm quite a bit of upgrades to get up to 500hp with his supercharger setup.

Quick Reply: Some turbo (Precision) input