Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 PM
06WRBSt1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Like Sharif said, you'd have to be incredibly incompetent to blow a vortech engine on a dyno if there wasnt something already wrong with the car.

Anyone that has self tuned their vortech knows this. I did a majority of my stock block 460whp DD 16 psi vortech tune myself with no problems.

Continue to blame the tuner, .
+1
Already wrong with the car? maybe.

Sti_david
Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

who's car is that? i hope that IC piping was put on there as joke
Old 01-16-2010, 01:57 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this the car in question?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:13 PM
- bigc -

yes it is
http://g35driver.com/forums/dfw-g35-...b-weekend.html
Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Edit: nevermind just saw that thread.

Last edited by Chef-J; 01-17-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Kirks06

Yes that is my car that was early in the process yes that inter cooler piping is wrong but was fixed before the car ever ran.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
str8dum1

that pic just makes you consider what Cobb said here combined with Sharif's expert opinion about popping a supercharged car on the dyno.

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning

When I became aware of this situation, I gave my input based on what factors I knew: car brought in for tuning after many canceled appointments due to issues, S/C installed by owner, car arrived with many installation related issues, tried to address the issues to tune the car, motor let go during second full RPM pull.

Best regards,
Trey Cobb
Founder & CEO
COBB Tuning - www.cobbtuning.com
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Kirks06

that pic just makes you consider what Cobb said here combined with Sharif's expert opinion about popping a supercharged car on the dyno.

I never said the car was perfect when I took it to Cobb, I never said it didn't have issues. So I made a few mistakes who among us hasn't? I still don't think I did anything to the car mistakes or otherwise that would have made the motor go boom like that.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

str8dum1...
But suprised me that tuner didn't see anything comming from during the two full runs on dyno tho and idk, if they ever check anything before pushing on dyno...hummm
Well...my apologize to cobb if there was anything that i said/IF i was just pointing at cobb. I get your point there that it's hard to say it's just tuner's fault. I guess we'll never know what cause that problem.

Last edited by Chef-J; 01-18-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

@dave, At least Cobb is entertaining the idea of owning up to this situation rather than throwing their 'warrantied' customers under the bus.

Oh wait, Cobb doesn't even offer a warranty...

Last edited by djamps; 01-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
He alrdy said he would reimburse the OP. IF this was Uprev you would give them a "golfclap" for manning up. Go nut hug somewhere else.
Good. I am glad. Did you forget how many times UPREV has saved people on this site alone from tuners screwing up their cars?

Need I say more. UPREV is one of the best vendors on here that goes out of their way to resolve problems for customers/members.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I was wary about dealing with cobb in the future, but I think after this I may still use them for some services (since they are local). can't beat the customer service responses in this thread alone where so many other vendors would have left the customer with a blown engine and justified it because they signed some papers.

good luck with the rebuild op, I know uprev will take care of you.
kudos to cobb for offering help.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by SexyRob
well I was wary about dealing with cobb in the future, but I think after this I may still use them for some services (since they are local). can't beat the customer service responses in this thread alone where so many other vendors would have left the customer with a blown engine and justified it because they signed some papers.

good luck with the rebuild op, I know uprev will take care of you.
kudos to cobb for offering help.
Thanks it should be done in the next week or so I will keep everyone posted.

I think this was major for them to own up to it and pay for it to be replaced, and I am still a little surpised and very impressed.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Trav4011

CLassy..

Originally Posted by Cobb
And before anyone gets defensive, I think UpRev offers a fine product and their lead ECU engineer (John), who is an ex-engineer for us, is a very smart guy. I'm just not the type that tries to compete against others by bashing their products or knowledge. Speaking honestly, I think the guys at UpRev have just been more committed to the Z/G market than we have, and thus we've allowed the perception to exist that we offer an inferior product. That's easy enough to fix, it's just down to demonstrating our commitment. That's for us to do, and I find no reason to try and gain market share by directly attacking competition.

Not so much..

Originally Posted by UpRev
Cobb isn't the same. Flash technique is an industry standard set by government mandated guidelines. The information they control on the ECU and how they control it is different. We have more access to more controls, and far more knowledge than anyone on the market when it comes to that.

There is obviously something wrong with their calculations or the tuner is dangerous. Either way we'll have yet another FI car back on the road and running strong again shortly.

You have no clue as to what caused this failure, other than your speculation/opinion..

And, honestly, how many places do you hear of, that offer a warranty for dyno tuning? Every shop that I've been to, makes you sign a waiver. There is always a risk when dyno tuning a vehicle.. That's just part of the game. You are taking a stock engine, and asking it to do something that it was never designed for. Something as simple as a hiccup in the fuel system, or an air pocket in the cooling system, could have caused something like this. When you have a stock engine, that's on the edge of coming apart as it is.. then, any little problem can escalate, very quickly. Could it be the tuner's fault? Sure.. Does that mean that a company should pay for a new engine? Absolutely not.. Will they pay for it? Probably.. Because of the attention that this thread is getting, and the potential for gaining a bad image in this community.

Travis

Travis

Last edited by Trav4011; 01-22-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Kirks06

Update:

I will be getting my car back this Monday if all goes well, Trey Cobb is going to be in Austin that day so he is going to hand deliver the final check in person. It's been a long journey but thanks to everyone involved I should be back on the road soon. Special Thanks to Trey Cobb who has been great though this whole process, I can't thank him enough for paying for my new motor. I would be in a huge financial hole if it wasn't for him. Also a huge thanks to everyone one at Uprev they have been great at communicating and keeping me updated.  I will update with pictures and impressions when I get back from driving the car back to Dallas from Austin. Thanks again to everyone on these boards for the words of encouragement and wonderful technical advise.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
zmedic16

IMPRESSIVE. mayor score for cobb and uprev.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Kirks06

Default Update:

Well I really got my car back now it had to have the auto trans rebuilt and while there were in there they added a transgo shift kit it now can scratch 3rd gear. It made 374 on Uprevs dyno. Thanks again to Cobb tuning I couldn't have done it with out them. Also Uprev is a stand up shop who were great though the whole process.

I do have a service engine soon light that keeps coming back on. The code is P0430
Attached Thumbnails G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise-img_0314.jpg