Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Audible Knocking above 3K RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
jomamahama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much boost were you running on the IPP stage 1 block? This was the full longblock correct?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Have you been in contact with IPP to give them a heads up on the situation, and get their thoughts?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
citymunky

Originally Posted by jomamahama
how much boost were you running on the IPP stage 1 block? This was the full longblock correct?
Tuned at 12 PSI on a FCon, I was running a IPP Stage 1 short block on stock heads. My power goal was mid to high 400's WHP, so there no need touch the heads since that can support those numbers.

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Have you been in contact with IPP to give them a heads up on the situation, and get their thoughts?
Yea, Kyle is the one who send me the pictures, and the verdict.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by citymunky
Tuned at 12 PSI on a FCon, I was running a IPP Stage 1 short block on stock heads. My power goal was mid to high 400's WHP, so there no need touch the heads since that can support those numbers.

Yea, Kyle is the one who send me the pictures, and the verdict.
so what was ur actual horsepower and torque numbers? and on what kind of dyno cause that seems weak for the motor to crap out, who tuned the car?

and they are not going to help you out with this? how long has the motor been in the car?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:19 PM
citymunky

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
so what was ur actual horsepower and torque numbers? and on what kind of dyno cause that seems weak for the motor to crap out, who tuned the car?

and they are not going to help you out with this? how long has the motor been in the car?
My actual WHP was weak. 410 WHP @ 12PSI on Forged Performance's Dyno Dynamics tuned all day by Sharif. I don't know about TQ because the part of the dyno that measured TQ was broken when my car was tuned. The motor was in the car just under 5000 miles.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I've spoken to citymonkey about this already, but haven't spoken to Kyle yet. From my experience, detonation is fair more likely to damage pistons and rings rather than pound out the bearings.

I really dont' like these situations for anyone. Kyle is good engine builder and I've tuned probably close to 500+ VQ35's and this particular engine was really super simple and safe. Stock heads, 12psi, and very moderate power. This isn't a tuning issue, but more than likely some kind of injector or airflow imbalance. It's just very peculiar to have 1 cylinder with these symptoms.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 PM
tylerxfire

why did it make so little power though? or is that the normal for that setup on that dyno? that sucks and i hope IPP comes through with some real good support.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Terrible situation to be caught up in...Builder will blame tuner and Tuner will blame builder. It will never end. TOTAL FAIL!
Best bet would have been to surrender the carnage to an unbiased third party. But even those results can also FAIL. Too late now. Sorry for your loss.

Good Luck rebuilding. Hope you have deep pockets.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

why did it make so little power though? or is that the normal for that setup on that dyno? that sucks and i hope IPP comes through with some real good support.
It's a little on the low side, and has also been discussed with citymonkey. I would expect about 450-460whp@12psi with stock heads on our dyno. Add about 10-15% to replicate a typical DynoJet number.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
It's a little on the low side, and has also been discussed with citymonkey. I would expect about 450-460whp@12psi with stock heads on our dyno. Add about 10-15% to replicate a typical DynoJet number.
yeah that sounds about right...Is there any thoughts on why it didnt make the power? The power it was at ive seen many stock block cars take for years
Old 03-20-2010, 04:07 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How do the heads/valves look? In for injector test results and a look at the plugs..
Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 AM
citymunky

yeah that sounds about right...Is there any thoughts on why it didnt make the power? The power it was at ive seen many stock block cars take for years
I was told I made not as much power was due to my 2.25" test pipes and 2.25" HKS exhaust. I upgraded to AAM 3" downpipes with open wastegate dumps and AAM 3" exhaust, and was going to put it after the rebuild.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:10 AM
djamps

I was told I made not as much power was due to my 2.25" test pipes and 2.25" HKS exhaust. I upgraded to AAM 3" downpipes with open wastegate dumps and AAM 3" exhaust, and was going to put it after the rebuild.
Without a retune, wouldn't that upgrade lean out your boost maps?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:17 PM
citymunky

Originally Posted by djamps
Without a retune, wouldn't that upgrade lean out your boost maps?
A re-tune was part of the paln.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM
djamps

A re-tune was part of the paln.
It wasn't clear in your post, but were you running with the 3" components or not?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
stormcrow

What is pictured above is clearly detonation. Its cause, I'm sure, remains to be seen. But, I wouldn't say that it was airflow issues unless there was a problem with the runners of the intake. Better chance of winning the lottery than this. If not tuning, then definitely a faulty injector. Was this car tuned using a knock amp?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 AM
citymunky

Originally Posted by djamps
It wasn't clear in your post, but were you running with the 3" components or not?
At the time of the motor failing no. I just sold my HKS this month.

Originally Posted by stormcrow
What is pictured above is clearly detonation. Its cause, I'm sure, remains to be seen. But, I wouldn't say that it was airflow issues unless there was a problem with the runners of the intake. Better chance of winning the lottery than this. If not tuning, then definitely a faulty injector. Was this car tuned using a knock amp?
I don't think is the runners, I have a MREV2, and we all know about Tony's work. I going to ship the injectors to get tested soon, and yes I have a knock amp, along with dual wideband A/F's sensors.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel Injector Shop in Florida that I used once before contact Yen 561-427-0082.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 AM
stormcrow

At the time of the motor failing no. I just sold my HKS this month.

I don't think is the runners, I have a MREV2, and we all know about Tony's work. I going to ship the injectors to get tested soon, and yes I have a knock amp, along with dual wideband A/F's sensors.
Did you notice any changes in A/F ratios recently? Have you checked to make sure the knock-amp is installed properly? That level of detonation should have been seen by the knock-amp.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
SH Luciano

what's your plan for a motor now? get another built one? find a stocker from a junk yard?

Quick Reply: Audible Knocking above 3K RPM's