Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

For those DIY installers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default For those DIY installers

I am in the midle of making an installation instruction manual for a turbo kit. Just wanted to see what those of you that did you own installs liked/didn't like with other turbo kits out there.

I am taking a ton of pictures and will sit down in the near future to add text/tips on how things go. The exhaust side is very straight forward, and one can't really mess it up. For the IC piping I am labling each end of the pipe like so:

It is straight forward, but it seems like that to me because I desighned the setup. Any suggestions you DIY'ers may have feel free to chime in.

There is nothing really complicated, one has to remove the bumper and relocate the power steering cooler, but that is very easy.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents are that this kit and future ones are going to make turboing your 350z as cheap as a fox body mustang. It seems to easy to be true haha. Much easier than when I changed the clutch on my Z.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by rocks
My 2 cents are that this kit and future ones are going to make turboing your 350z as cheap as a fox body mustang. It seems to easy to be true haha. Much easier than when I changed the clutch on my Z.
I don't see why it should be more expensive. Do you? This just goes to prove that you don't have to dump $12k to get a turbo kit, like many here would suggest. BTW, I did my clutch too, and it was brain surgery compared to installing this turbo system. I wanted to make it very easy to install, this will encourage people to do it themselves and save a few $$$ there too.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 AM
specialized5223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you really have a boosted Probe?...

Maybe everyone shouldn't be turbocharged....
Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I don't see why it should be more expensive. Do you? This just goes to prove that you don't have to dump $12k to get a turbo kit, like many here would suggest. BTW, I did my clutch too, and it was brain surgery compared to installing this turbo system. I wanted to make it very easy to install, this will encourage people to do it themselves and save a few $$$ there too.
*golf clap* bravo .. bravo..

1) when you get it running
2) when it starts to make good numbers
3) when you start mass producing
4) when you start providing customer service for any issues
5) when you start paying off stupid users for stupid mistakes blamed on your turbo kit..

then you can start to question why it cost 12k for a turbo kit.. congrats on your success with your backyard kit, but i think we are proud of you enough for the distance you've traveled that you don't have to keep questioning why people buy other turbo kits and why its not that difficult..

FYI most mass produced turbo kits are 7k .. and the majority of that money is for the high quality turbo you're paying for.. not the mass produced piping and couplers you can pick up anywhere.. but again congrats

Last edited by doug; 12-21-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for a $12,000 turbo kit, you could get every bell and whistle on a Sound Performance kit and have the potential make 1800 whp.

what was the final cost of your kit, ~5500 right?

As for instructions, if you should honestly be working on your won car, you wont need much instructions. The only thing I suggest is if something need to be done in a certain order bc if done in reverse, you cant get to a bolt, etc...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:43 AM
BoostedProbe

Doug, you tell everyone here to search/research. I think it's your turn.

The kit ran on my car for a full year (12,000km) without any issues. Many many track days, beating it on the street...ect. If it runs great on 8psi, why can't it run on 15+psi on a built engine?

Also, what is wrong with Precision turbos that I am using, or the Tial w/g and BOV, silicone couplers, and T-bolts clamps (your high end kits don't come with those)?

Those $7k kits are fine, nothing wrong there. But in the $7k how many people do you have to pay that ar on your staff? How much is the welder charging? How much is yor shop rent/electricity/heating...how much is your manager getting payed...ect. I don't have any of that. IMO the $2k extra that you are paying for is just that, admin fees. So your $7k high end kit is really in the $4500 range.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:45 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by str8dum1
for a $12,000 turbo kit, you could get every bell and whistle on a Sound Performance kit and have the potential make 1800 whp.

what was the final cost of your kit, ~5500 right?

As for instructions, if you should honestly be working on your won car, you wont need much instructions. The only thing I suggest is if something need to be done in a certain order bc if done in reverse, you cant get to a bolt, etc...

Price will be $4800 with everything but no EMS.

That order of how things go together is important yes, and i am realle making sure I have that down.

I returned the car to stock, and started installing the kit. So it should be ok.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:06 AM
doug

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Doug, you tell everyone here to search/research. I think it's your turn.

The kit ran on my car for a full year (12,000km) without any issues. Many many track days, beating it on the street...ect. If it runs great on 8psi, why can't it run on 15+psi on a built engine?

Also, what is wrong with Precision turbos that I am using, or the Tial w/g and BOV, silicone couplers, and T-bolts clamps (your high end kits don't come with those)?

Those $7k kits are fine, nothing wrong there. But in the $7k how many people do you have to pay that ar on your staff? How much is the welder charging? How much is yor shop rent/electricity/heating...how much is your manager getting payed...ect. I don't have any of that. IMO the $2k extra that you are paying for is just that, admin fees. So your $7k high end kit is really in the $4500 range.
whats wrong with it? nothing.. just becareful who's face you throw snow in..

when i said high price for the turbo's it was nothing against the turbo's YOU use.. but the turbos THEY use cost a high price.. if you went on Ebay and bought Garrett, TN, Mitsu or any of the other Turbo's on the kit you are already looking at $2000/$3000..

As i said congratulations on your enormous feat.. its a milestone accomplishment.. not everyone can do it and you are in the minority..
however there are alot of things in this world that are easy to accomplish with time and effort, however don't start pissing on it just because you're one of the few to do it..

Congratulations.. you've completed 1 out of the 5 steps i posted earlier.. as i said.. when you've completed all 5.. then you can **** on Greddy, Sound Performance, Intense/PowerLab, Turbonetics, GTM .. and so on.. yes making a turbo kit is simple.. its the other **** behind it that costs the consumer the high price.. Turbonetics dropped the 350z/G Turbo Kit because it was costing them more per customer to develop than it was to sell with the fixes to wastegates.. overboost pipes and other stupid little ****.. I'm sure the first 1000 kits they test worked perfect too

Last edited by doug; 12-21-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 AM
specialized5223

Really, you boosted a Probe?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 AM
doug

Originally Posted by specialized5223
Really, you boosted a Probe?
he boosted a 350z and some probe's came boosted from the factory..
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
specialized5223

I know he boosted a Z, I thought he boosted a Probe. lol. Apologies all around.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 AM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
he boosted a 350z and some probe's came boosted from the factory..
Yup back in 88-89 or so, it was a 2.3 turbo. I think it was a Mazda motor as the Mazda 6 or 626 or maybe even the 323 had the same engine. OP I like the way your turbo is setup. The main reason I didn't go with a Turbonetics back in the day was because the A/C line issue and the installation just seemed difficult. Yours seems much easier and a better overall design. I agree with Doug's comments and he is just trying to give you some advice. I still think if you keep being smart and minimize costs you may really have something here.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 AM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and for the instruction manual. I think the best thing is to have lots of pictures! I hate when it's nothing but text and you have nothing to look at to get an idea of what you need to do. Also, your labels are a very nice touch!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 AM
rocks

He did boost a probe. Its in his first build thread. $4800 is high for me but I have a welder and chop saw, with no funds. No way should people pay 2000$ for a damn turbo. A holset HX52pro will flow like 90lbls per min and it costs um 500-700$. Honestly I would like to see a kit like this being able to be shipped without the turbo, and intercooler. People do not like to do this because then they are losing profit?

I am not trying to bash on anyone but the most expensive mustang tuner kit I have found is 3700$ for a twin turbo kit!
http://ziptie007.phpwebhosting.com/c...index&cPath=69

Just goes to show the 350z world is overpriced.. 4800$ is a damn good start. Hopefully in a year you can knock that down to around 3000$ by selling enough kits.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:25 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya 2000$ for a turbo is pricey, thats a customized forced performance kinda price.
but 1500$ is very average for your medium sized ball bearing turbo, like a GT35r. Journal bearing alternatives are around $1000.

so he has 900$ in the turbo, 350$ in the intercooler, $250 for the oil pump, $100 for t-bolt clamps, $100 flanges, hot side pipes $300, cold side $300, $200 BOV, $200 wastegate. That leaves ~$2000 for labor and misc stuff.

It would be hard to get under 3000$ unless you were a dealer for some of those parts. If that was the case, then you could cut most of those prices almost in half and have your kits for about 2500$ pretty easily

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-21-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:35 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ya 2000$ for a turbo is pricey, thats a customized forced performance kinda price.
but 1500$ is very average for your medium sized ball bearing turbo, like a GT35r. Journal bearing alternatives are around $1000.

so he has 900$ in the turbo, 350$ in the intercooler, $250 for the oil pump, $100 for t-bolt clamps, $100 flanges, hot side pipes $300, cold side $300, $200 BOV, $200 wastegate. That leaves ~$2000 for labor and misc stuff.

It would be hard to get under 3000$ unless you were a dealer for some of those parts. If that was the case, then you could cut most of those prices almost in half and have your kits for about 2500$ pretty easily

The scavenge pump is $350, wastegate is $300 (44mm), BOV is $210 (50mm). Then you have bolts/nuts, air filter, oil lines, stainless angle/flat bar for hardware, argon, filler rods...ect the litle things add up in a hurry. So take another $650 or so from the $2000 labour and you are getting close.

If I was a dealer, the Precision turbo for example would be $550. W/G would be $220...ect you can see how it adds up in savings and profit when you are a dealer.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 12-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by specialized5223
I know he boosted a Z, I thought he boosted a Probe. lol. Apologies all around.
I think he had the second generation Probe I think they were 1993-1996? that was non-turbo and he built a supercharger kit for it if I recall right.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM
rocks

I have been thinking about this and I would probably buy it if you had an option of selling it with no turbo. I need something like a Holset HX35/40 or a Master Power T70, considering I have cams and a built engine. But 4800$ is a damn good deal. You combine that with Uprev software and a set of injectors and fuel pump your probably looking at around 7000$ total depending on weather you buy the rest of the parts used or new. I keep saying the 350z is going to be the new 5.0 Fox Body Mustang. Give it 5 more years. Aftermarket parts will be cheap as hell. The junkyards will packed with spare parts.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by rocks
I have been thinking about this and I would probably buy it if you had an option of selling it with no turbo. I need something like a Holset HX35/40 or a Master Power T70, considering I have cams and a built engine. But 4800$ is a damn good deal. You combine that with Uprev software and a set of injectors and fuel pump your probably looking at around 7000$ total depending on weather you buy the rest of the parts used or new. I keep saying the 350z is going to be the new 5.0 Fox Body Mustang. Give it 5 more years. Aftermarket parts will be cheap as hell. The junkyards will packed with spare parts.
$4800 includes 550cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, tapped JWT oil pan spacer.....ect. Everything you need except the EMS.

I got some flanges that take the T3 and T4 turbos, so you can put whatever you want in there. The flange has both bolt patterns.

Quick Reply: For those DIY installers