Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
dazee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go for FI then make sure you have confidence in the company who makes it, the tuners that install it, and you make allowances for higher maintenance and extras to make it reliable.

I'll probably go with PE twin turbo as it looks like a good kit, the engineers seem to know their stuff, they warrenty the kit for 12 months and luckily being in Japan, they will actually do the installation and tuning. To assist on reliability and driveability they are the only people I have been in touch with so far who include an intercooler, larger capacity oil pan, stronger clutch, with their kit. Also they recommend installing an oil cooler and larger core sports radiator but it's not part of the kit. As it is getting alot colder here now, I can wait until the spring before getting those items. By that time there will be a wider choice available and prices would have dropped also.

If you want performance, you have to be prepared to do the work to make it reliable. Oh yeah, PE also recommend a certain type of oil for turbo cars - Motul. If you use standard oil you could experience reliabilty problems.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:52 PM
whosdady

I also have the ATI kit and have had it installed for roughly 2XXX miles. My only issue was a little belt squeal which was eliminated after tightening a belt. I have 368+ RHWP (just added some H/F cats and need to redyno/retune). I have enjoyed 2 months of problem free F/I. I would highly reccomend this kit. As was mentioned earlier, only two cars have had issues. Maxhax and ravaz. Both have special circumstances that have nothing to do with the ATI kit. However, that is not to say there wont other cars that blow engines that have the ATI kit installed. Any kit is capable of blowing an engine. Take a look at the greddy kit. It has blown more engines on the same car than all of the ATI kits sold to date.
It is my opinion that the ATI kit will be a hard kit to beat. The price and completeness of the kit, not to mention the ease of installation. I doubt it will happen in the near future. For my MKIV Supra it took about 4 years before the ideal kit was available. I decided I didn't want to wait that long with this car as it was a little slow for my taste stock.
As for those waiting for turbos, I wouldn't risk adding something that makes the engine run even hotter or something that has the potential of boost spike. Tuning a turbo is much more complicated than tuning a S/C.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Yielar

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
lol an old bucket. Hey, come to the Z meet in West Chester this Saturday and tell it to those guys. What's really funny is a stage 3 old bucket will hand you your a$$ with your ati procharger. Make sure you wear a t-shirt that says *dumba$$* on it so we'll know it's you.

tsk tsk.

Have to admit that was quite funny.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:53 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default Re: wait

Originally posted by N4Spd
I don't sell ATI kits.

I don't install ATI kits for money.

I do have the ATI kit.

My recommendation is to wait until DreamWorkesRacing puts out their
supercharger. From the pictures posted, it seems to be
very detailed. They seem to be aiming for a pre-tuned
bolt on so your engine is less dependent on the installer
and tuner. Also, having been at the tuning of the FMU,
waiting another month or two for a better kit is worth
it (especially if you can ditch the aeromotive digital fmu)...

mho,
rob
Hmmmmm didn't you know that using the factory settings on the ATI Pro Charger is just as effective; maybe on the rich side, but still pretty, pretty effective.

Wouldn't that be also considered pre-tuned!!??

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the aeromotive FMU a mechanical Fuel Management Unit rather than digital; that is, if it is the FMU you’re referring to is the model used in the current ATI installs.

G
Old 10-22-2003, 07:57 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Where did we get THREE blown engines? All I know is ravez (who just TOLD you that it was tuning AND something he did himself) and Max who we all know pushed his car to the limit with Nitrous before his Procharger was installed. Who was the third?

It was me that said there are 3 blown motors. I was told that today by a reliable person that post here. He told me the person is in the process of negotiating how to get it fixed and that the person is not a member of this forum. Because of the situation, he did not want to give more details since it could affect how those negotiations come out. I respect his word and what is trying to be achieved. I do not want to give that source at this time based on those issues. If you do not want to believe me or flame me for giving only partial information then so be it. I posted this only to give as much information to a person trying to decide which product is reliable. That is important to me because if I was ready to buy a product, I would want to know as much (pros/cons) as possible.

If the situation chances later, I will post more details however I will not provide names unless they want to be identified. I think some one like ravaz understands how these issues can be sensitive.

Just for the record, I am in the market to add hp and I am looking at all options. I have been promoting the comparison of FI and NA cars and I am working with SportZ magazine to make that a reality. Hopefully, that will occur and when it does, that information will be available for all to read.

Even though I have posted some aspects of the ATI SC that appear to be negative in nature, I am not anti ATI SC. I love the hp gains, concept of an intercooled SC, and feel the cost is a good option vs. a TT. Yes, I do have concerns related to the blown motors. I really hope it comes down to being 100% identified as a tuning issue. I do not think anyone at this point can say 100% it is or if it is not that for sure. I do wish ATI was more proactive in looking into the damaged motors. That would make me feel more confident about purchasing their product. Except for proving that a component of the ATI kit failed, I do not see them worrying enough to have their engineers investigate the reason for the ATI SC – VQ engine failures. Everyone has his or her own feelings about this but for me, having a blown motor is not acceptable.

I know there is a risk to modifying a motor but everyone here expects that when you change your tires and wheels, you expect them to work as wheels and tires should perform. Just because it is a FI modification, it should still work well for its intended purpose meaning it should provide the hp/torque like it claims and be reliable for use (not abuse) on street and moderate track use just like our stock Z's are.

I am glad this thread was started. Adding FI has the most risk of modding this Z IMHO. We need as much input from as many people as possible. Colectively, we can know more and make wiser choices.

Last edited by zland; 10-22-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:59 PM
cnile51

heres my input..... i just finished my install on my charger..... install was easy i havent tuned yet....... the fmu comes tuned out of the box....the plkugs havent been changed as of yet and i am getting a fuel filter tomorrow.... i started break in on my car just now........ car is an animal no problems until i was in third heard a little detonation but right after i chahnged third so it thows a little more fuel into the cylinders.....cars fine right now....... all i have to say is listen to the forum guys...... the more nervous you are the more problems you run into...... face the fear do the install and when its runnin be happy...... the guys that have blown motors either ran rich trying to get max hp out by wrong tuning or the shops messed up...... if you do the install dont get gready with the power..... cause you feel it...if a shop does it make sure they are ready to take full responsibility just in case..... otherwise im happy.....

NiLe C.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:21 PM
N4Spd

Default oh...

If your stock fmu settings are the same as what was sent
to me, then you're running lean. I'd get it tuned asap.

Search 350zfrenzy for some good posts about the fmu.
Don't wait til you hear detonation to adjust the sliders
(never mind the scale setting)...

that's why it's not pre-tuned. imho, it's also the weakest
link.

Originally posted by cnile51
heres my input..... i just finished my install on my charger..... install was easy i havent tuned yet....... the fmu comes tuned out of the box....the plkugs havent been changed as of yet and i am getting a fuel filter tomorrow.... i started break in on my car just now........ car is an animal no problems until i was in third heard a little detonation but right after i chahnged third so it thows a little more fuel into the cylinders.....cars fine right now....... all i have to say is listen to the forum guys...... the more nervous you are the more problems you run into...... face the fear do the install and when its runnin be happy...... the guys that have blown motors either ran rich trying to get max hp out by wrong tuning or the shops messed up...... if you do the install dont get gready with the power..... cause you feel it...if a shop does it make sure they are ready to take full responsibility just in case..... otherwise im happy.....

NiLe C.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:11 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default Re: oh...

Originally posted by N4Spd
If your stock fmu settings are the same as what was sent
to me, then you're running lean. I'd get it tuned asap.

Search 350zfrenzy for some good posts about the fmu.
Don't wait til you hear detonation to adjust the sliders
(never mind the scale setting)...

that's why it's not pre-tuned. imho, it's also the weakest
link.
Could you please post a picture of your FMU, with visible settings. And also, at what stock settings, any pics, did you consider that the FMU was running lean from the factory?

Thanks
G
Old 10-23-2003, 02:21 AM
KONVERTER

id personally wait for a TT of some type... see how those doo...

TT is far less strain on the engine then a SC...
Old 10-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

"the guys that have blown motors either ran rich trying to get max hp out by wrong tuning or the shops messed up......"

Don't you mean ran lean?

"TT is far less strain on the engine then a SC..."

HUH?
Old 10-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

These and others have been posted before but here ya go:
Attached Thumbnails ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?-fmu-settings-004.jpg  
Old 10-23-2003, 12:32 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

A little known fact about the Aeromotive FMU. Not many REALLY know what that last slider is REALLY is for:
Attached Thumbnails ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?-fmu-settings-004zaino.jpg  
Old 10-23-2003, 03:51 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Richard 350z is not joking, he does drive "like a complete maniac". We ran side by side each other all morning on the track, then jumped into our Z's to get a bite to eat. He was driving his Z like he was still on the track. When we were eating with a group of drivers, I said "I think we have created a monster, look how Richard is driving his car now on the street". Richard replied "no, I drive fast like that all the time". I got to hand it to him, he must know how to talk his way out of a ticket. If I drove like that, I would be posting from a jail cell right now.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Where did we get THREE blown engines? All I know is ravez (who just TOLD you that it was tuning AND something he did himself) and Max who we all know pushed his car to the limit with Nitrous before his Procharger was installed. Who was the third?
I'll never tell, but I will post a picture tomorrow of his piston with a hole through it. I'm just not at work right now. And yes, it was a lean condition that caused it. Not putting any blame anywhere, just rebuilding the motor and making some money.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Ok, you guys got a 2nd verification of the 3rd blown motor with an ATI SC Z now. Jeff says he will post a pic of piston tomorrow.

Looks like lean condition is the common cause at this point. The question now is how can a person that wants an ATI SC be VERY sure his car will not run lean? With the data we have, it seems like ATI's that have been to a tuner & professionally installed have just as much chance of running lean as self installs. I think the first 2 motors were installed and tuned at a shop. I am not sure about the 3rd one.

Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 10-23-2003 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:15 AM
N4Spd

Default tuning

I was the at the shop while the car was tuned.
The ati pump + fmu exhibited wide variances in behavour.

For example, doing 2 runs with the same settings 5 minutes
apart resulted in quite different AF graphs. The tuner
said that it was running richer as the car heated up.

We ended up tuning it rich and then letting it cool off before
the final run. In the final run (same settings but cooler),
the AF graph was about 1 value leaner throughout...

If you just finished installing, do this:
1. get a pressure pump to set the "scale" setting so that the 5th led turns on at 5.5 psi.
2. move the sliders slighted higher than a comparably setup car (e.g. bonz, electrik, jesse, etc)
3. most of all, drive without boosting the car (quite easy actually) to a dyno shop...

best of luck,
rob

ps. PLEASE post why the 3rd ati car that blew (when you know it).
I learn everyday from other owners and that helps me stay out
of trouble...

Last edited by N4Spd; 10-24-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:01 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Alright, here's the pictures. Sorry, but at this time I can't answer a lot of questions about this. The car was was running lean and caused the condition you see below. Just wanted to post this as a reminder how important tuning is to your car!! I have nothing good or bad to say about the product itself.

Old 10-24-2003, 04:44 AM
jritoli

2500 hundred plus miles on my ATI SC and I just keep on rollin down the highway !!! Just ask the guy in the hot new $50k Audi A6 4.2 who though he'd impress his girlfriend last night at my expense.

I'll bet she's still laughing........

Last edited by jritoli; 10-24-2003 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:50 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Those 3 instances are ones we hear of from the forum but there are probably more out there we do not know about so to believe that only three blew is niave, I know of another one down here that blew.

The kit just seems to have been rushed out to market to capatilize on the hype for more HP, I would wait for more options that are more detailed on what they include, maybe injectors, a better fuel management system.

Although I will be the frst to agree with the handling of the 350Z being better on the track and more track worthy than the 300ZX lets face it how many of these SC 350Z's have gone to the track, and just use it to blow away others on the highway, I agree the 300ZX is perfect for that get one and bring it to stage 3 for around 1500 and you are at 400HP and will toast a SC 350Z and still has room for more HP where as the 350Z is stuck without major internals.

Last edited by westpak; 10-24-2003 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:51 AM
ravaz

Looks as pretty as mine Jeff..

Any damage to the block? Do you know what caused the lean condition, was it tuning, failed fuel component or something else?

Quick Reply: ATI PROCHARGER - Do? or Don't?