Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if ur only looking to make 380-400whp its not even a question just do a stock block setup with all the extra supporting mods u can buy to be as safe as possible for the long run..stock motor will take that all day every day with a good tune for many many many miles and track days..

if ur looking for 500whp or around that mark u would be ok with a built shortblock, dont remember where u are located or gonna be but vinny does very very good work and only person besides myself i trust with my car, turn key packages and very good strong built motors...jsut throwing it out for ya http://vinnytenracing.com/engine/index.html

Last edited by tylerxfire; 01-26-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
tylerxfire

[QUOTE=Highway Riding;8093456]
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
and spend 2x the money it would cost to get a VQ35 to the same level with any TT kit bolted up the VQ makes a fairly reliable 400whp on stock internals. Unless its a Nur motor the RB26 has a weak oil pump so I wouldn't put one in anything with out a rebuild and a nur spec oil pump this is the most uncost effective solution for a G/Z there is, this swap is strictly for people that want something "different".

The problem is sure everyone says 400 HP works on a VQ but i personally feel like i could break my car with some spirited driving in its' NA form now. Rev matching, staying in the upper RPM range for extended periods yada yada yada.
So when when pricing out a built block, TT kit, and EMS the price tag easily is what 18K without install-tune? Now i have recently seen a rb26dett long block go for 6K or so in "supposed" good condition key word being "supposed" then u need ems as always and in this case a modified 6sp rwd trans or rb25 trans. Point being and in the above case add a NISMO oil pump (1k) is that 20k might get the job done and might (sure keyword being might) be more reliable under 500HP! Then building a VQ only to pop it driving it like it was intended. Maybe some shops can chime in

i have been driving my stock block setup at 420whp (dynojet) for over 10k miles and there is many spirited driving miles in there..zero issues so far except my first weak sauce tune that was fixed... i think u are highly underestimating the vq
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM
bubblehead-g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=tylerxfire;8093465]
Originally Posted by Highway Riding

i have been driving my stock block setup at 420whp (dynojet) for over 10k miles and there is many spirited driving miles in there..zero issues so far except my first weak sauce tune that was fixed... i think u are highly underestimating the vq
this is the kind of first hand experience I am looking for. I realize that no build is perfect, and turbo charging a naturally aspirated engine is inherently complex, but based on the amount of kits out there and the success of shops like forged, it must be possible to do and still put miles on the car. Thanks for the input. I think maybe i should have initially said my goal wasnt to make huge numbers, just enough to have loads of fun and have a unique vehicle.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
if ur only looking to make 380-400whp its not even a question just do a stock block setup with all the extra supporting mods u can buy to be as safe as possible for the long run..stock motor will take that all day every day with a good tune for many many many miles and track days..

if ur looking for 500whp or around that mark u would be ok with a built shortblock, dont remember where u are located or gonna be but vinny does very very good work and only person besides myself i trust with my car, turn key packages and very good strong built motors...jsut throwing it out for ya http://vinnytenracing.com/engine/index.html
Very Familiar with VTR and meet some guys @ etown with his 530 setups and i have to admit most from what i remember have held up just fine but i don't know these guys well enough to judge how they treat or drive they're cars on a daily basis like i do. I 'd love to spend 8K and drive off into the sunset with a 530 kit but what i'm saying here is hyptohetically "if" i had the OP's $$$ i would consider a RB is all. Hell at this point i'd personally be happy a HKS supercharger kit ad the little HP it gives. Not underestimating the VQ just realistically thinking about it's future in regards to my foot
Old 01-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Highway Riding;8093456/

The problem is sure everyone says 400 HP works on a VQ but i personally feel like i could break my car with some spirited driving in its' NA form now. Rev matching, staying in the upper RPM range for extended periods yada yada yada.
So when when pricing out a built block, TT kit, and EMS the price tag easily is what 18K without install-tune? Now i have recently seen a rb26dett long block go for 6K or so in "supposed" good condition key word being "supposed" then u need ems as always and in this case a modified 6sp rwd trans or rb25 trans. Point being and in the above case add a NISMO oil pump (1k) is that 20k might get the job done and might (sure keyword being might) be more reliable under 500HP! Then building a VQ only to pop it driving it like it was intended. Maybe some shops can chime in

The reason "everyone" says 400whp is safe is because most of us started there with a TT kit and 400whp on a stock block. Not alot of guys run into issues with a good tune at 400whp, the only thing is 400whp soon becomes not eough then guys move on to built engines. I had lots of track days on my 400whp stock block car and it was rock solid not the slightest issue ever. The RB is going to be very expensive, you have to buy it, get it shipped, buy the tranny, then most of them don't come with turbos+ intercooler and custom piping+custom motor and tranny mounts+ custom wiring+EMS+new oil pump+you have to tear the engine down to install the pump so you need new gaskets as well. For less than $15,000 I got a TT kit and it installed and ran 400whp all day long with not a hicup, a RB you be chasing gremlins for awhile its just not a feasable swap for the average guy looking to make 400whp. Thats why the swap is few and far between.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Highway Riding

Thats why the swap is few and far between.
This is true.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And on the other side of the fence...

My stock block setup lasted 3000 miles and blew up with less than 400whp

If you're not 100% prepared for that to happen from day 1, you arent ready!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 AM
tylerxfire

^^^plus if we were talking swaps id do a 2jz and boost it to the mooooooonnnnnn.....lol or a boosted ls2 in there would do the trick...na in seriousness the vq is a great motor to throw a little boost at just do it right...the 400whp area is alot of fun and very reliable and good for stock block, i agree there is a hunger for more and i feel a built shortblock and some good boost to the 500whp margin is very obtainable and safe for everyone on a good built shortblock and very streetable so its all in if u wanna spend the cash on the motor or not
Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Alberto
And on the other side of the fence...

My stock block setup lasted 3000 miles and blew up with less than 400whp

If you're not 100% prepared for that to happen from day 1, you arent ready!
very true, always have to be prepared for the worst....alberto why do u say that happened? the tune? something with the install? was that with the t-netics kit if so did it overboost like they are known for? curious
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best theory is 7200rpm redline bump from 6600rpm's under boost. The tune was actually very smooth once timing was bumped back from when I picked it up, it occasionally detonated so I adjusted that.

It made 390whp and then was detuned 2x from there, so final numbers were ??

It never one time overboosted.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Alberto
Best theory is 7200rpm redline bump from 6600rpm's under boost. The tune was actually very smooth once timing was bumped back from when I picked it up, it occasionally detonated so I adjusted that.

It made 390whp and then was detuned 2x from there, so final numbers were ??

It never one time overboosted.

yeah i think i actaully talked to u along time ago about that and that played a part in me leaving my rev limit at 6600...i dont recommend bumping it for safety op..
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
temoku

Originally Posted by bubblehead-g
the maximum deposit limit for 2010 is 16.5 into tsp. and while I wouldnt pay taxes on it now, uncle sam would still take his chunk upon withdrawal. There are better options as far as money management goes. TSP tends to be inflexible and from my experience they are typical government drones when trying to get customer service from them. USAA is so much easier to deal with and their choice of funds is great. Just by looking right at the first two on my list, their International Fund has returned 32% since start of fiscal year 09, 14.4% five year. Don't believe the propaganda about TSP, their are better options with a bit of research.

edit- please give me car suggestions. im a dual income household with no kids and a relatively healthy investment portfolio. im no millionaire but if i stay on track retirement at fifty is realistic
yea but you earn profits on uncle sam's portion. TSP is a lot better than most people think, I've heard way more bad stuff about it than good. You can put 100% of your bonus in tsp, it's allotted to your account in installments thereby avoiding taxation
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
De La Money

you have 1 of 3 options

1. irresponsibly- trade in the g35 for a used GTR/ used porsche 911. DONE DEAL

2. mediocre- spend like 10-15k on building/bossting the g35

3. FULLY responsible- pay off bills, and invest the rest, and maybe buy an exhaust, plenum spacer, intake, testpipes and a reflash.

Last edited by De La Money; 01-26-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
FineWine

[QUOTE=Highway Riding;8093456]
and spend 2x the money it would cost to get a VQ35 to the same level with any TT kit bolted up the VQ makes a fairly reliable 400whp on stock internals. Unless its a Nur motor the RB26 has a weak oil pump so I wouldn't put one in anything with out a rebuild and a nur spec oil pump this is the most uncost effective solution for a G/Z there is, this swap is strictly for people that want something "different".

You're comparing apples to oranges. You don't even need a fully built motor for 500whp or to be more reliable under boost.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Highway Riding

[QUOTE=FineWine;8094006]
Originally Posted by Highway Riding

You're comparing apples to oranges. You don't even need a fully built motor for 500whp or to be more reliable under boost.
The thought of a RB26 swap came up as a hypothetical scenario where one would have 50K on hand to perform a build as in the OP's initial post. Without digging up peoples disaster stories its no secret that a decent # of members have popped the motor on or under the 400 HP. I simply based the 400 HP # on the premise that a RB26 which was built for boost from the factory has to perform or be more reliable than a boosted "stock" VQ. Not bashing VQ's or guys who have built VQ's at all as one day i would hope to have one or the other.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
myG35zx

2001-2005 996tt.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by thom000001
Ship the Car to Chicago and have Sound Performance build it....it will cost less that $30k and have bout 1000hp
What he said! Or you can get a nice kit (PL, SP, GTM, APS TT with older turbos) You have choices. It doesn't sound like you want a high horsepower car....

There are a few cars on this forum with stock motors on boost running very well. Spend the money on getting a good kit, tune, supporting mods and have a good shop work on your car.

If it were me, I'd spend about 20K on this and invest the other 25K. Keep 5K for some what ifs along the way and find some good used parts on the marketplace for lower price to upgrade the Z.

Good luck bro!

The other option would be to find an already built car for sale. There's one here in Chicago for cheap considering what's been done. ( Think 774 whp TT Z )

You'd be an excellent buyer IMO....

Good luck with whichever decision you make. You can't lose either way
Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
FineWine

[QUOTE=Highway Riding;8094047]
Originally Posted by FineWine

The thought of a RB26 swap came up as a hypothetical scenario where one would have 50K on hand to perform a build as in the OP's initial post. Without digging up peoples disaster stories its no secret that a decent # of members have popped the motor on or under the 400 HP. I simply based the 400 HP # on the premise that a RB26 which was built for boost from the factory has to perform or be more reliable than a boosted "stock" VQ.

$2000 in pistons and rods is still cheaper than $6000 in an unmatched engine any way you put it.

If you want to argue that an RB26 is capable of holding more power than a stock block VQ35, that's another discussion.

Last edited by FineWine; 01-26-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche 993TT <end thread>, which is an investment in itself, or invest it all for when you are done with your five years, then spend what your budget allows. That lump sum may come in quite handy for a home downpayment.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bubblehead-g
no im a sonar tech. The nukes on average get much better bonus's. They work insane hours underway and in port and have a ton of extra crap to deal with because of all the naval reactors procedure stuff. they have to follow a procedure to pretty much do anything back there in the engine room. I don't go back there unless I have too. Its hot and noisy and cramped and everywhere you look there is spinny pump things than can tear your arm off.
I've been on a sub, USS Maryland (SSBN-738) in King's Bay, GA, and was so amazed with how things were set up that I was convinced I wanted to spend my days on a sub. Thankfully, I gathered my thoughts before making a life-changing decision.

It was neat because we were there right after the November, 2006, Trident FCET, where 2 D5 missiles were launched.

Quick Reply: 50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?