Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's concerned about the problems (and I'm guessing potential downtime of those problems) of building his G. He should not build a kit car.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Kit car for 40K? I'd rather dump 20k into my Z any day of the week. he could also go to Leepu's chop shop and have him build something lol
Attached Thumbnails 50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?-rmx.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 AM
FineWine

Don't get me wrong, if you have the time, skill, and diligence, they can be nice. But if you're affraid of the care you're going to have to take on a boosted car, you're definitely not ready for the care you going to have to take building a kit car. I used to work for a guy that sold authentic and replica lambo parts. His replica diablo ended up having something like 90% authentic Lamborghini parts before he sold it, and the quality of his work was unbelievable.

He owns http://www.lambostuff.com/ now.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by FineWine
Don't get me wrong, if you have the time, skill, and diligence, they can be nice. But if you're affraid of the care you're going to have to take on a boosted car, you're definitely not ready for the care you going to have to take building a kit car. I used to work for a guy that sold authentic and replica lambo parts. His replica diablo ended up having something like 90% authentic Lamborghini parts before he sold it, and the quality of his work was unbelievable.

He owns http://www.lambostuff.com/ now.
The only problem i have with replica car kits are the sound. I personally cannot stand the sound of a american V8 coming from anything other than Domestic, muscle car or Vette or stang.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 AM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put an AMG v8 in it then. My brother had a c55, and it wasnt super fast, but the engine sounded very refined. An e63 or e55 motor would be more powerful too, and an e55 with mods will make over 600hp easy. Of course this would be more of a PITA, but just throwing ideas out there!

bubble you got PM.

Last edited by thawk408; 01-29-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM
mysterymann

Looks like Ford GT + Nissan R390 + Carrara GT
Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by thawk408
Put an AMG v8 in it then. My brother had a c55, and it wasnt super fast, but the engine sounded very refined. An e63 or e55 motor would be more powerful too, and an e55 with mods will make over 600hp easy. Of course this would be more of a PITA, but just throwing ideas out there!

bubble you got PM.
A Merc motor would def sound better. I cant even remember how many times i would see a yellow lambo and when it would pass as i would drool i would look around and say WTF as it zoomed by sounding worse than a old rusted muffler LS. IMHO LS motors specifically sound like a$$ when short exhausts are used which is usually the case in kitcar swaps. Also i might get bashed but i absolutely hate the sound of a LS motor in a Z and yes i have heard them in person in detail. end of rant lol
Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
The only problem i have with replica car kits are the sound. I personally cannot stand the sound of a american V8 coming from anything other than Domestic, muscle car or Vette or stang.
Some guys do a muffler setup instead of the straight pipes out of the LS motor which does sound bad. These may be kit cars but they look damn nice!
Attached Thumbnails 50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?-gtm-exhaust.jpg   50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?-gtm-side-view.jpg  
Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Guru

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Screw the new GT-R... yuck unless you have loads of money to blow. No top end power because it's AWD... and it's to heavy for small tracks, what's the point? R34/33 Skyline or Porsche IMO. Or just build some small car like a Mazda Rx7, Nissan 240sx, Mercedes 190e for ~15k and have a fun play toy!

I say 350z built block turbo with a true sequential manual gear transmission... oh and a Bee*R limiter just for ***** and giggles! That **** will turn heads like no other hahaha!
GTR's are running high 10's stock with just a reflash on stock rubber. What kind of times are twin turbo Z's running without some huge drag slicks?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
bubblehead-g

went to the local audi dealer and was lucky enough to test drive a 2007 S4, black on black, 6 speed. Its gonna be tough competition. maybe not that exact car, but the model will be. It was beautiful. just the most beautiful interior. a dark bavarian cave of perfect leather, aluminum, and carbon fiber. great v8 sound, great gearbox, much better better steering wheel than my G, nice and thick. The actual steering was much vaguer though. Engine was powerful but delivered it in a very german, very flat way. hard to explain, it seemed to pull exactly the same from about 2500rpm to redline. there was no feel of more intense acceleration as rpm's increased. kind of boring to be honest. it had the sound, but lacked the soul it seemed.

still have not ridden in a boosted Z or G35, so I didn't even come close to considering purchasing, more just wanted a real world comparison i guess. So still have a few cars left, gotta track down lightly used c6 corvette, 335i, e46 m3, and the dude on my base with the turbo 350z. have to say that every time I walk through garage I still immediately imagine my G with a open mouth front bumper and huge intercooler in it.

Last edited by bubblehead-g; 01-31-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 PM
350Z400rwhp

You have a great list of cars there but if you don't plan on modding them they will not compare "power wise" to a Built or stock block boosted Z. They made a new version of that Audi A4 with a supercharged V6 in 08 or 09', might be worth checking that out too. I think the option of just doing a boosted stock block setup may give you the smile on your face and a very cost effective option. So make sure you get a chance to ride that dude's on your base.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by bubblehead-g
the dude on my base with the turbo 350z. have to say that every time I walk through garage I still immediately imagine my G with a open mouth front bumper and huge intercooler in it.

Or two intercoolers

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-31-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 AM
nyqueenz

50k I would step da game up and get one of these..
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

This has become the ultimate dreamers thread LOL.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

YUP...

I would....wait...

*clicks on the back button*
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
bubblehead-g

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Or two intercoolers

your car is sick. when i look at my car and see in my head what I really want it to look like, its very similar to yours. the problem i see is having to spend a couple thousand on a beater car to drive A) when my G goes in for install/tuning. From others I have talked to this could take from 6 weeks to 6 months and B) for backup in case my G decides that it doesn't want to start randomly and I have to be at work in an hour. if I knew I could turbo my car and i wouldnt have to worry about having a backup vehicle I would have already committed and started the process. from my point of view I could save the money I would need to spend on a beater and use it to buy a set of HRE's or similar forged rims for a slower but more reliable vehicle. plus having to explain to my wife that Im sending my infiniti off for a few months to spend massive amounts of money on it, and its going to be less reliable when I get it back doesnt seem like its going to be fun. On top of that telling her Im gonna buy another car. Oh jesus that would not be fun. It could be done, but it would be slow torture. Would probably have to fly the in-laws out for a week and send them all out on a cruise to bribe her.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Reality350

^If you don't' have another car that can be used for, DD.. I would strongly reconsider boosting your G...

gl
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
50k I would step da game up and get one of these..
Post #88. We are on the same page.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by bubblehead-g
your car is sick. when i look at my car and see in my head what I really want it to look like, its very similar to yours. the problem i see is having to spend a couple thousand on a beater car to drive A) when my G goes in for install/tuning. From others I have talked to this could take from 6 weeks to 6 months and B) for backup in case my G decides that it doesn't want to start randomly and I have to be at work in an hour. if I knew I could turbo my car and i wouldnt have to worry about having a backup vehicle I would have already committed and started the process. from my point of view I could save the money I would need to spend on a beater and use it to buy a set of HRE's or similar forged rims for a slower but more reliable vehicle. plus having to explain to my wife that Im sending my infiniti off for a few months to spend massive amounts of money on it, and its going to be less reliable when I get it back doesnt seem like its going to be fun. On top of that telling her Im gonna buy another car. Oh jesus that would not be fun. It could be done, but it would be slow torture. Would probably have to fly the in-laws out for a week and send them all out on a cruise to bribe her.

Thank you! My car did take a fair amount of bribing to get where it is today.

To start I would do a JWT 700bb kit on your stock block with the 700bb kit you have room to grow down the road if decide to go with a built engine later on. If you sent it to Forged I doubt it would take more than two weeks. Get some cooling mods and a good EMS as well as some bigger injectors and a return fuel system. Drive it like that for a year or two the cost isn't that bad (likely $15-20k with what i listed above installed and tuned) and mine was very reliable at 420whp I never had any issues at all. I often wish I was back at the point with a nice reliable car with good power and good looks. Things can still happen to stock blocks but my stock block experience was a very positive one. Listening to what you have wrote, I think you would really enjoy your car at that power/reliability level. Then you have some money to make it pretty as well some nice forged wheels and a mild body kit if that is your thing Sharif also does a big single intercooler with the JWT kit if you want the aftermarket bumper with the big FMIC in it
Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM
bubblehead-g

So, some time has passed and I thought I would just update my post, for anyone that cares. I have had several modified cars, and there is always that period when you try to figure out how cool the community is. I got lots of great info from you guys, albert, sylvan lake and a bunch of others. I know you guys have dumped tons of money into your cars and your experience definitely helped shape my decision. Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to post advice.

I had many factors to decide on when picking what to do, among them snow-worthiness and the ability to carry snowboards and multiple passengers. Im a bit older now and the STI, EVO direction just doesn't fit me anymore. I have become a snob I guess when it comes to interior quality and just allover quality and fitment.

I found a 2003 Audi RS6 with 39k miles about 400 miles from my house and ended up buying it after one of those take it home test drives. It has everything I could ever want except for a manual transmission. The interior is just amazing, carbon fiber everywhere, great seats, a big backseat for my buddies and parents when in town. Trunk big enough for 2 snowboards with seats up. Currently lightly modified, chipped and tuned to 492 HP 507 ft lbs TQ and that's it. Its pretty heavy, so you don't feel that initial whiplash acceleration, but from about 50 mph and up it pulls you back into the seat and just never stops.At some point I will drop it and get some rims I guess.

I have a good chunk of money left that is going into smarter places, my wife is semi-happy, and I have a car that I drive every day and don't worry about. It all worked out I guess. I do miss the G35, but do love the new ride.

Again thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your sharing your hard earned and expensive experience with me.

Quick Reply: 50k$ and an 06 6mt, what would you do?