Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Help, Hot starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 AM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help, Hot starts

I am having an issue when I take a short trip about 7 miles or so and get out of the car for about 5-10 min. It will not restart. It just cranks over and over and nothing. If you let it set for some time it will start. I have check for codes and there are not any.

Any Ideas?

Injectors: Deatschwerks 600cc
Fuel Pump: Walbro 255
EM: Osiris. Currently running GTM Spec Base Tune
S/c: HKS GT Supercharger (GMT Stage 4, 10 PSI)

Thanks,
Old 04-18-2010, 06:53 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Just ask Sam to modify your GTM Spec Base Tune.

I was having the same problem with the HR TT kit base tune, and he did that for me.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Classic hot start issue with bigger injectors...I didn't have it with my 440cc but it started showing up when I switched to 650cc and up...

Pumping/stepping on the gas pedal while starting the car solves it for me....kinda irritating but it get the job done...

And I'd like to say that a reflash will help, but not necessarily...I have Osiris and I still have the issue; maybe its because my tuner focuses on the tune and not as much on the starts...I'll have my tuner re-do the starts in the future and see if it improves anything...

And in your setup, its possible the GTM base tune might still be setup for stock injectors; you should ask Sam to verify this...

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
I am having an issue when I take a short trip about 7 miles or so and get out of the car for about 5-10 min. It will not restart. It just cranks over and over and nothing. If you let it set for some time it will start. I have check for codes and there are not any.

Any Ideas?

Injectors: Deatschwerks 600cc
Fuel Pump: Walbro 255
EM: Osiris. Currently running GTM Spec Base Tune
S/c: HKS GT Supercharger (GMT Stage 4, 10 PSI)

Thanks,

Last edited by 350z006; 04-18-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hot start issues are usually do to excess fuel in my limited experience. You have a Osiris cable so you can adjust it but you would have to get either Sam's help or UpRev's to get a reflash reworked and sent out to you. I'm not sure what arrangement they have for support. I would give Sam a call on Monday.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
cdoxp800

Thank you all. I kind of thought it was to much Fuel. I guess I can deal with it for a week. This coming Friday I am getting a PMAS an a retune.

Thanks for you input.

Last edited by cdoxp800; 04-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:49 PM
cdoxp800

Today I was looking through my Osiris Rom editor and came across this Starting Enrichment.
Old Rom File. This is not currently whats in my Rom:

I wonder if adjusting these values down from the 60c mark to the 100c mark would help?

I am thinking at:
60c = 46%
80c = 36%
100c = 26%

?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hot start problem when using larger injectors is not always caused by too much fuel.

It may well be the opposite, not enough fuel.

As you are using a re-flashed OE ECU & OE O2 sensor feedback, the motor under light load & idle situations only requires the same or similar amounts of fuel as a stock motor.

With the much larger injectors the lambda feedback to the ECU will be showing a rich mixture & the ECU will now compensate by shortening the injector pulse width.

The short term memory trim learns this and depending on how much bigger the new injectors are its quite possible that the opening times of the larger injectors has closed down so much to achieve the correct AF ratio that there is not enough fuel being injected on cranking when the motor is hot when more fuel is needed to start.

To confirm wether you motor is too rich or too lean at hot start cranking, get someone to stand behind the car to see if there is a lot of black smoke from the exhaust when the motor finally starts. If there is, your motor is defiantly too rich at hot start.

If on the other hand if you squirt a little gas or aerosol engine start fluid through the little capped pipe that's located at the front of the upper plenum
( the one that is often used as the source for a map sensor in FI )
and the motor immediately starts, then the motor is too lean at hot start crank

Last edited by Nathan; 04-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good post
Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by Nathan
The hot start problem when using larger injectors is not always caused by too much fuel.

It may well be the opposite, not enough fuel.

As you are using a re-flashed OE ECU & OE O2 sensor feedback, the motor under light load & idle situations only requires the same or similar amounts of fuel as a stock motor.

With the much larger injectors the lambda feedback to the ECU will be showing a rich mixture & the ECU will now compensate by shortening the injector pulse width.

The short term memory trim learns this and depending on how much bigger the new injectors are its quite possible that the opening times of the larger injectors has closed down so much to achieve the correct AF ratio that there is not enough fuel being injected on cranking when the motor is hot when more fuel is needed to start.

To confirm wether you motor is too rich or too lean at hot start cranking, get someone to stand behind the car to see if there is a lot of black smoke from the exhaust when the motor finally starts. If there is, your motor is defiantly too rich at hot start.

If on the other hand you squirt a little gas or aerosol engine start fluid through the little capped pipe that located at the front of the upper plenum
( the one that is often used as the source for a map sensor in FI )
and the motor immediately starts, then the motor is too lean at hot start crank
Wow. Thanks for the Great info Nathan. Big help.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what mine finally looked like to get it to hot start with 800cc injectors.

Try cutting those numbers down further if you need to.

Trick is, if it gets worse when you lower them, then go the other way. You'll find out real fast that way if it is lean or rich. Mine was way too rich. Usually it will be rich with the larger injectors.
Attached Thumbnails Help, Hot starts-crank_enrich.jpg  
Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
cdoxp800

Originally Posted by binder
This is what mine finally looked like to get it to hot start with 800cc injectors.

Try cutting those numbers down further if you need to.

Trick is, if it gets worse when you lower them, then go the other way. You'll find out real fast that way if it is lean or rich. Mine was way too rich. Usually it will be rich with the larger injectors.
Thanks. Mine was way to rich too.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
binder

Thanks. Mine was way to rich too.
you get it figured out?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM
cdoxp800

you get it figured out?
Some what. It's way better then it was.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same exact issue man... It's irritating at times.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 PM
binder

Some what. It's way better then it was.
just keep decreasing it.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:13 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had hot start issues (after warmed up or driving, it starts up perfect and idles normal) but I have had/sometimes have cold start issues (engine starts after a few cranks, but rpms would be very low/belts don't seem to be driven 100%, then after a few seconds, the idle jumps up to where it is supposed to be on a cold start and the belts are driven normally and the engine runs fine).
Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 AM
binder

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
I've never had hot start issues (after warmed up or driving, it starts up perfect and idles normal) but I have had/sometimes have cold start issues (engine starts after a few cranks, but rpms would be very low/belts don't seem to be driven 100%, then after a few seconds, the idle jumps up to where it is supposed to be on a cold start and the belts are driven normally and the engine runs fine).
that can happen. depending what temp you are talking about for "cold" it could be the car just warming itself up for a few seconds.

Mine did that with osiris quite a bit, it would idle low for a little while before going to my set idle rpm for that coolant temp.

since i've switched to haltech i don't have this problem because it has so many more fields to adjust for warmup.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Elperuano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im runnin same injectors n fuel pump as OP on a boosted single turbo at 8psi with Haltech and have no hot-start problems. Gotta be the "base" tune hes using. Or was using...
Old 05-15-2010, 01:07 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Im runnin same injectors n fuel pump as OP on a boosted single turbo at 8psi with Haltech and have no hot-start problems. Gotta be the "base" tune hes using. Or was using...
we have about 5 more things we can adjust with the haltech on start up. haltech is such cake to make startups perfect.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Elperuano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have about 5 more things we can adjust with the haltech on start up. haltech is such cake to make startups perfect.
yea man i love my haltech system. greatest investment i made to my set-up hands down. the functionality of the haltech is unlike anythin else ive dealt with so far. still learnin out how to use all of it. waitin on the 2-step from my friend and that'll be my next venture

Quick Reply: Help, Hot starts