Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

the 8 questions game!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
MarvinMartian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's incredibly unfortunate that so many of my fellow forum members are trying so hard to crush this young man's dreams.

He sees the future -- a future of internet-auction turbo kits that can be readily adapted to one's car for a reasonable price. Naysayers be damned!

I support you, Dimitris. I support you.

Now, go. Prove them all wrong. All of them! Put that piece-o'-crap ebay turbo kit on your Z, blow the manifold to kingdom-come, and live your life a quarter mile at a time.

Godspeed, hail fellow. We can even overnight it from Japan.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran the calculations. To reach 400 whp (appx 470 crank hp) on a 3.5 L motor, you need about 49.5 lb/min of air flow for a single turbo at about 0.66 bar of boost. That's a 1.66 pressure ratio.

Now, in the post quoted by St8dum1, it says the turbo is about the same size as the GT2871. Was that referring to the turbo the OP is looking at? (EDIT: I found the post, those are the specs.) If so, let's assume that this turbo will be as efficient as a GT2871 (likely it will not be, but we can assume this is the case for now).

Now, here is the GT2871 map:

At an airflow of 49.5 lb/min. and a pressure ratio of 1.66, the OP will be running well beyond the choke line. At a 1.66 pressure ratio, the GT2871 is good to about 33 lb/min. or so of air flow. The turbo efficiency will be very, very low, and the compressed air coming out of the turbo will be very, very hot. Compound this with the very small intercooler being provided, and that looks like a whole lot of trouble. Detonation likely will become an issue, not to mention you likely will not get anywhere near 400 whp.

OP, when you get the compressor map from the vendor, look to see where 1.66 PR/49.5 lb.min. air flow land on the map. If it is near the higher efficiency zone, then you should be OK with that size turbo (assuming the pressure map is correct). If not, look for a different turbo. If the turbo is about the same size as a GT2871, you will need something bigger to run a single turbo, or you can use two turbos (one for each bank).

EDIT EDIT: This a quote from Garrett's Turbo Tech 3 tutorial:

"The Choke Line is the right hand boundary of the compressor map. For Garrett maps, the choke line is typically defined by the point where the efficiency drops below 58%. In addition to the rapid drop of compressor efficiency past this point, the turbo speed will also be approaching or exceeding the allowable limit. If your actual or predicted operation is beyond this limit, a larger compressor is necessary."

I sincerely doubt a cheap knock-off turbo will even be capable of spinning as fast as a Garrett. In other words, not only would the OP be risking the motor blowing, the turbo will not last long when pushed this hard either.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 04-29-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP,
I've been reading the thread, trying to keep my mouth shut. But, you seem very sincere about trying to get some answers. Sure it's a cheap kit, and i'd never put it on my "higher end" (not a civic) sportscar. I even thought about getting this kit just to play around and fab it on a 2.4L jeep engine on a dune buggy just for cheap fun.
Can it be done? sure. But the issue I and most of the other people see is that you are not very familiar with engines, turbo systems, or fabrication in general. When looking at this kit, certain things should scream at you that need to be addressed (neglecting the quality aspect. how thick is that piping anyway?)
A) turbo manifold: needs to be fabricated
B) all intercooler piping needs to be fabricated
both of these not big deals. done it before.
C) injectors + EMS
D) is that an intercooler or power steering cooler? seriously? expect 1000000 degree temps
E) you will most likely be missing many fittings needed for running turbo oil lines for your setup.
F) I wouldnt trust that turbo timer/ boost controller or w/e it is on my go kart, much less on my $30K Z. fried electrical system? unstable boost?
G)have fun making that gauge pod look half way descent.
H) Those gauges? maybe on the go kart
I)Fuel pump?
J) how much power do you expect? If you are looking for anything over 375-400whp, and you are going to be spending so much money on supporting mods where you CAN"T go CHEAP, why skimp on the kit itself?
K) you are paying a shop to do this.. what are the fees for shop hour? any idea how long this will take them to fab? its going to cost you more in labor than a nice kit would cost installed in the first place. I could understand doing this yourself for fun, but a shop?
L) expect many other pipes/flanges/etc hooking up your exhaust to the downpipe that looks 1mm thick
Like i said, i'd do this kit for fun on a pos laying around the house. But paying to have it installed by a shop that has no idea about z's is going to be bad, and you will have a blown engine. You think this kit will support your soon to come built engine? Also, as far as looks and reliability, I highly doubt this shop cares about your car as much as you do, and it will probably not be very good work IMHO. I mean are they going to take much time cutting that gauge pod perfectly?
so you're looking at 1k for the kit, about 1k ems, 500 injectors, 100 fuel pump, 500 in random pipes and fittings, thats just to start. Thats over 4k usd. then double that for fab work. Why dont you just buy BoostedPerformance's kit, save money, have EXCELLENT quality? just my two cents. Good luck whatever you decide.

ross
Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
J_350Z

Originally Posted by dimitris20

And this is a "nice" tree

whats your point?
Anyone else notice this tree looks like a female ice skater?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Originally Posted by J_350Z
Anyone else notice this tree looks like a female ice skater?
YES
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

^^^^

I think that is why he posted it.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
for arquements sake

and a helpful website http://www.homemadeturbo.com/
Soooooo why did you spend $7,000 on a SFT kit then?

Building your own kit sounds very simple. I know that if I was to use ebay parts (turbo/wastegate/BOV..ect) I could build one for about $2500. Or if I used some cheap diaphram pump for returning the oil back to the engine, that is another $200 saved. Throw in some used injectors, used fuel pump, steel piping (very cheap compared to aluminum and stainless) and there ya go.

Maybe one could even do it for $2000. How long will it last and how will it perform? That is something I would not want to find out on my own car. I guess it all depend on what you want as an end result, not to mention the skills needed to do even a half *** job.

If the OP wants to give it a shot, by all means, go for it. He can use my 2 build threads as a reference, I don't really care. I think they are very detailed and have a crap load of pictures.

Ebay wastegates have been tried before...and have failed catastrophically.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 04-29-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I found the OP's post where he lists the turbo specifications. The turbo is actually slightly smaller than the GT2871. OP, if you want to use that turbo, you need two. Otherwise, look for a bigger turbo.

As others have said, you might also look for a bigger I/C, and get quality wastegates and blow off valves that have proven reliability. If you are going to use a boost controller, get a unit that also has proven reliability. You do not want to cheap out on any of these. It is not worth the risk of blowing your motor by having them fail on you. Also, you should probably get at least 440cc injectors. Run stainless steel piping on the hot side (turbine) and either stainless steel or aluminum piping on the cold side (compressor). In other words, look for a more suitable turbo kit. You will be OK with an Uprev or Cobb re-flash of the ECU if you get a tuner that knows what he is doing. A Utec is another option.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 04-29-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by thom000001
/\/\/\/\
Terry who said anything about physics or math....this is just bolting a turbo to a motor!!!!

LOL

Tom
My gut instinct was that the likelyhood of that turbo being the right size was slim to none, but I had to run through the calculations just to satisfy my own curiosity (and take a break from this patent application I am working on).

I hope for the OP's sake he listens to what he is being told, looks at the data that I have provided that pretty much confirms all of this, and finds a more suitable turbo kit. Otherwise, he is in for a big let down, and likely a blown motor if he really tries to push that turbo to get him to 400 whp.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Thumbs down Don't be a FOOL

Initially I was amazed by the number of posts some people had under their accounts, now I know

People that get offended or annoyed or irritated or frustrated or cheesed off, my apologies but please don’t! This thread is opened so I can find some answers from people that are willing to think in a slightly different way and share a couple of things with me and many others here. If you don’t like it please ignore it and don’t post a joke (people under 15 are excluded), Im sure you can find a suitable forum to express you humor elsewhere. We’ve reached page 4 and there were only 2-3 good points so far.

thanks
It's because those of us with thousands of posts and more than a couple months of membership on this forum have seen this kind of naive foolishness before. You're not the first NOOB to come onto this forum and post that trying some cheap generic/no-name universal turbo "kit" is a good idea worthy of serious consideration. By insisting on doing this, you are showing disregard and disrespect for the collective knowledge base of this community that KNOWS this is a bad idea. You ask questions, but you don't want to listen to good advice.

As Terry (ttg35fort) has pointed out, the turbo isn't even the proper size for a single turbo application on a VQ35 motor. It's apparent, based on your posts here, that the shop you selected hasn't answered your questions or given you good advice. The fact that this shop has zero experience with the 350Z is bad also. A qualified and reputable shop would have recommended one of the proven name brand 350Z specific turbo kits (or a custom made kit using quality name brand components that are proven like Garrett, Tial, etc) along with the proper supporting modifications for FI. A reputable shop would refuse to install the piece of crap eBay kit you insist on using.

So if you insist on acting like a stubborn and stupid fool that thinks he knows better than everyone about this eBay kit, don't complain about the negative responses and comments you get on this forum.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

so know that you got real answers noob and cant ***** about the flaming what are you going to do??
Old 04-29-2010, 05:45 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The turbo size really doesn't matter if none of the pipes ever meet up. It's gotta get past that stage first.

Rubber water hoses do work wonders for making charge pipes that dont fit work. I know from first hand when I installed a intercooler on my 280ZXT
Old 04-29-2010, 06:07 PM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
The turbo size really doesn't matter if none of the pipes ever meet up. It's gotta get past that stage first.
TRUTH..... i would look for something a little bigger.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 PM
dimitris20

Originally Posted by Barnabas
You havent answered any legitimate questions about your plans.... lets start here.

DO you expect this kit to have the proper piping??

do you have past experience making/installign turbo kits on our cars??

Do you know what you are looking for when you get this kit??

what kind of turbo is in the kit?? do you know the specs?? is capable of what you are looking for powerwise??

if it fits ten other cars why would you even waste your time buying there kit?? why not just buy 2 turbos from garret and make your own piping?? then at least you wouldnt be wasting parts that arent gonna work.

DO you expect this kit to have the proper piping??
Unfortunately NO. This was the first good point by Driven1,
Im emailing some sellers to find if they can sell the car specific set (so far they don’t) any hinds?

do you have past experience making/installing turbo kits on our cars??
No, Im not gona do it myself.

Do you know what you are looking for when you get this kit??
Im getting the information right now (page 5 was surprisingly filled up with very useful information)

what kind of turbo is in the kit?? do you know the specs?? is capable of what you are looking for powerwise??
Ive got the specs and so far it looks that it is smaller than what a 3.5L needs . Im looking at 400hp or what ever power is gona produced out of 8psi.

if it fits ten other cars why would you even waste your time buying there kit?? [B]why not just buy 2 turbos from garret and make your own piping?? then at least you wouldn’t be wasting parts that aren’t gonna work.
It does not fit any car , it’s a general kit and since the piping is no good for the 350z Im looking for the correct piping elsewhere
Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
dimitris20

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
OP, before you jump on this kit, keep in mind that the turbo should be properly selected for your size motor and target HP. If it is not, you will run into problems.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and go here:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ch_center.html

Study Turbo Tech 101, Turbo Tech 102, and especially Turbo Tech 103, until you FULLY understand this information. Especially learn how to use the compressor map. If you are not technical enough to understand it, or too lazy to spend the time to learn it, then you should not be attempting to use a generic turbo kit on your car.

If you are adamant about using that ebay turbo kit, first request a copy of the compressor map for the turbo. Then, run through the calculations provided by Garrett to make sure it will work properly for your size motor and your target HP. You do not want to be running the turbo with the air flow less than that identified by the surge line in the compressor map, or with the air flow greater than that identified by the choke line, for a given boost level. If you do, you likely will have issues. Ideally, you want to be operating in, or close to, the higher efficiency zones.

If the seller cannot provide you a compressor map, then that should be a very good indication that you should look elsewhere.

Here is a sample of a compressor map, with identifiers on it showing the various parts of the map:

Noted , looks like Ive got many hours of study today and a couple of email to send.

thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Noted , looks like Ive got many hours of study today and a couple of email to send.

thanks
See post #82. I ran the calculations for you.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 AM
aln

and here is me worrying about 1 or 2 pipes!

Interesting calculations and answers all the same...
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
DK 350z DK

Is he ganna slap this thing on OR NOT?!?!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM
OMERTAITALIA

almost a year.....no
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM
bbs350z

your giving us dimitri's a bad name

Quick Reply: the 8 questions game!