Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Amazing work from Boost Lab

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thom000001
Nice,
For the ultimate power you want (especially to fully utilize power of setup) I don't think twin walbro's are gonna get you there. May need to add another walbro or an inline as well. Or twin Bosch's. (I have triple walbro's, and the third pump comes on with my setup.....so not gonna see big big numbers I don't think with just 2).

For the track.....I'd say a really good fuel sump setup (thats what we ran in a porsche GT3 cup fuel cell setup...5 total pumps lol)

just my $0.02

Tom
These are variables we will find out more about when it's put together. We run out of fuel, upgrade the pumps, we run out of boost, upgrade the turbos, etc.

We are pretty sure we will hit the pump limits but that is something easy to add to and yes, a sump is definate but we are going to try and hold off on that because we are going to bring in a "rolling chassis" and build that from the ground up and move everything over.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 980 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by GAMERMODZoCOM
I have not spoken with Greddy yet however here is the info I have found in some research.

If Greddy's are made by the same manufacturer as Rotors, there is nothing wrong with that and it's actually a good thing.

Aparently there is a taiwanese company that makes OEM brake systems for a **** load of auto makers. This company decided to come in to the aftermarket brake world. They founded Rotora. They also made all of StopTech's brake systems for some time as well.

If Greddy's are made by this taiwanese company, I feel even more confident. This taiwanese company aparently has been in this business for a long time making brake systems for lots of auto manufactures and that's the experience I would want going in to my brake system.

Stoptech, I guess around 05, stopped having their stuff manufactured by this taiwanese company and have no idea who makes them now. Don't get me wrong, I like Stoptech, scratch that, I love Stoptech. They were an incredible setup for the track and I barely got pedal fade when I ran them.

As stated before, I have not been to the track on the Greddy's. Once this motor is done we will have a lot of test and tune track days until is debut in to the Redline time attack series. I really do feel these Greddy (or whatever you want to call them) brakes will outperform the stoptechs when it comes to being on and off the pedal for long periods of time. The calipers are larger than Stoptechs (largest caliper for the 350Z from Stoptech is 6POT) which means more initial bite (I know some may say it also has to do with the size of each piston, well they are the same size as Stoptechs). The rotors are larger and meatier which means they should be able to disapate the heat better and be able to handle the track abuse better.

The only thing that I have felt different about the brakes is the biasing. I will check the bias next time at the track.

Im not saying its a bad kit. It may be priced higher for the name vs rotora but being sponsored by them may eliminate that. My gripe is the pad selection. Im sure the kit will perform great...15" is a huge rotor!

I am sure a lot of companies source the same parts from identical manufacturers....look at the number of coilover kits there are.

I love my stoptechs btw!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Im not saying its a bad kit. It may be priced higher for the name vs rotora but being sponsored by them may eliminate that. My gripe is the pad selection. Im sure the kit will perform great...15" is a huge rotor!

I am sure a lot of companies source the same parts from identical manufacturers....look at the number of coilover kits there are.

I love my stoptechs btw!
Yeah, pad selection is not great but if you love Hawk like I do, no big deal. I would like to "try" carbotechs for a day though. They seem to be pretty good from what I hear.

Everyone loves their Stoptechs, they are definately great and even I had them with what this car is doing.

I don't think it's the price of the Greddy's that steer people to Stoptechs and such, I think it's more about what you are getting for the money. Stoptechs you can get for a good price and for the normal person and even heavy track person, it's more than enough. If you like the look of a much larger system and extremely heavy or soley track use, Greddy seems to be the best option.

Oh, I did notice the rotora hats are different. Greddys hats are held to the rotor by decently thick bolts where as the ratoras (and even stoptech) have thinner bolts with small rectangle nuts on the outside of the hat.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

When i first saw your charge pipes PC'd I thought you were going to run the kit w/o the IC....then i scrolled for more pics. You have a couple pipes that you wont need....
Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

When i first saw your charge pipes PC'd I thought you were going to run the kit w/o the IC....then i scrolled for more pics. You have a couple pipes that you wont need....
There were a couple pipes from the kit they didn't powder coat so that's probably the ones I don't need. I didn't know why they weren't powder coated and didn't care to ask. This may be why.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

i may have been wrong since your running the HR kit. dont know how greddy sells those but for the DE you buy the tt kit and ic kit separately...which means you end up with pipes you dont need.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

well i am not really digging that tone of green color, nor the graphics ...so its ok its ok that islanz video was focused on the blue Z.....either way its sponsored/track car mostly and to each their own, and i think the build has great potential, i like the suspension mods...d i know yoau re going with the dyno thin for just numbers, but to have the car stroked to 4.2l and the heads you plan on running the turbos you have look a bit small.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-03-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
well i am not really digging that tone of green color, nor the graphics ...so its ok its ok that islanz video was focused on the blue Z.....either way its sponsored/track car mostly and to each their own, and i think the build has great potential, i like the suspension mods...d i know yoau re going with the dyno thin for just numbers, but to have the car stroked to 4.2l and the heads you plan on running the turbos you have look a bit small.
lol, The colors are the company colors and I think they are bad ***! The car is supposed to stand out, it is after all a company race car and event car for us. You can't get a better color to attract your attention.

We have been on the phone with Greddy a ton and had them revisit the option of squeezing larger turbos in there and it's just not going to happen without getting rid of a bunch of crap under the hood. Remember this car is only going to run for maybe a year then everything will be moved to a different chassis.

Since larger turbos aren't an option, upgrading them is the only way but being this is a track car, we don't want long spool times so we just had the compressor wheel changed and we see what happens. If they are our bottle neck like we originally figured they would be, we will get another pair from Greddy, send them off to have larger compressor and turbine wheels installed and put them on.

Can't believe you don't like the colors and wrap!

By the way, I added the pictures of the sleeved block from Darton.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not spoken with Greddy yet however here is the info I have found in some research.

If Greddy's are made by the same manufacturer as Rotors, there is nothing wrong with that and it's actually a good thing.

Aparently there is a taiwanese company that makes OEM brake systems for a **** load of auto makers. This company decided to come in to the aftermarket brake world. They founded Rotora. They also made all of StopTech's brake systems for some time as well.

If Greddy's are made by this taiwanese company, I feel even more confident. This taiwanese company aparently has been in this business for a long time making brake systems for lots of auto manufactures and that's the experience I would want going in to my brake system.

Stoptech, I guess around 05, stopped having their stuff manufactured by this taiwanese company and have no idea who makes them now. Don't get me wrong, I like Stoptech, scratch that, I love Stoptech. They were an incredible setup for the track and I barely got pedal fade when I ran them.

As stated before, I have not been to the track on the Greddy's. Once this motor is done we will have a lot of test and tune track days until is debut in to the Redline time attack series. I really do feel these Greddy (or whatever you want to call them) brakes will outperform the stoptechs when it comes to being on and off the pedal for long periods of time. The calipers are larger than Stoptechs (largest caliper for the 350Z from Stoptech is 6POT) which means more initial bite (I know some may say it also has to do with the size of each piston, well they are the same size as Stoptechs). The rotors are larger and meatier which means they should be able to disapate the heat better and be able to handle the track abuse better.

The only thing that I have felt different about the brakes is the biasing. I will check the bias next time at the track.
JBT is the maker IIRC

For the pistons, remember, the # of pistons doesn't determine caliper performance persay - more pistons does tend to promote pad life on the track since you have a more even compression of the pad against the rotor. It still all comes down to the metallurgy of the disks and the size of the pad. Stoptech also has their Trophy kit now (recent addition to their lineup) which I think would be at home on a Time Attack setup too. But, when you're sponsored, things tend to go the way the sponsor wants...until you can show them that it aint cutting the mustard. Might as well cross that bridge when you get to it (and brakes are one of those things that you'll know pretty early on!)

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-03-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i may have been wrong since your running the HR kit. dont know how greddy sells those but for the DE you buy the tt kit and ic kit separately...which means you end up with pipes you dont need.
True for the standard DE kit, but their "Tuner" kits for both the DE and HR include the larger turbos and larger Intercooler but do not include any engine mgmt nor any fuel provisions
Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM
IslandZavage

Hey, look at that! lol

Yeah you were the blue Z that was doing about 450RWHP or something right? We were doing a test and tune on the supspension that weekend.

If that is you, I remember you were behind me for a lap and half or so but and I was trying to let you pass one the straights but I just come through the turns so fast it kept putting a gap back between us. I remember coming up to turn 7 and the car in front of me was going to let me pass so I let you pass both of us and I got stuck behind him till I exited 7. Then I remember coming up to "I think it was turn 9 or 10" and you spun out right?

I was only putting down 296rwhp compared to you being over 400rwhp it does go to show you that handling is key and why we chose to do this to the NISMO.

Again, if that was you I am thinking of. I know if was a blue Z this situation happened to just not sure if it was yours.

If so, way to push the car to the limit! Now you know the limit lol. It is something that MUST be done. I usually change my dampening to give me some understeer and I find my limit that way when I first get out. I know where my car is balanced but in situations like that day with a track temp of 155 degrees and hard apexes like Sebring, it gets a little rough.

I also had that red Z4 try and follow my line and spin out at turn 7 behind me. So funny... No one wrecked their car that weekend so that was good.

I didni't get any video that day so pretty cool you had that. Now if only it was't focused on that damn blue Z! lol, jk
Actually i had to pass a few cars to get too you (i was last car out) and when i caught up to u they just waved the checkered flag to slow done (session done). That was the lap i think your talking about. there was another blue Z out there also, but i have all mine on tape and just re watched it.

The spin-out : 100% me . I kept getting braver and braver on that turn, till it bit me in the ***. Def a good learning experience.

I would of guessed you were more than 296 that day. Your car seemed like it had more. I was a bit higher than 450whp and gave the car no mercy. HI boost all day. Damn that ish was a blast and the car held up like a champ and then took on the 3 hour trip back home like it was nothing (with a few hard top speed runs *computer generated of course*)

Your gonna have your hands full with all that new found power. I had a blast at my power level and am still learning to use it at the track. i cant imagine what its gonna be like with the build im doing. Its nothing like yours though. I plan on keeping a relatively low wastegate setting to ease me into the new power and for track use. at my skill level now on the track crazy high hp wont do me any good. That whole day was a blast.

Do you always run with NASA or other clubs?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

We went put there for a test and tune. NASA event was the first available option. Since we are thinking about running NASA TT, I may run through their HPDE courses if I can't find 2 pro drivers to sign off for me.

If there are any between when the car is finishe andour debut in August for the Redline TT event at Sebring, I am sure I will go to get more seat time to get used to the car some more.
If you go to them a lot, I am sure you will see me there
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Actually i had to pass a few cars to get too you (i was last car out) and when i caught up to u they just waved the checkered flag to slow done (session done). That was the lap i think your talking about. there was another blue Z out there also, but i have all mine on tape and just re watched it.

The spin-out : 100% me . I kept getting braver and braver on that turn, till it bit me in the ***. Def a good learning experience.

I would of guessed you were more than 296 that day. Your car seemed like it had more. I was a bit higher than 450whp and gave the car no mercy. HI boost all day. Damn that ish was a blast and the car held up like a champ and then took on the 3 hour trip back home like it was nothing (with a few hard top speed runs *computer generated of course*)

Your gonna have your hands full with all that new found power. I had a blast at my power level and am still learning to use it at the track. i cant imagine what its gonna be like with the build im doing. Its nothing like yours though. I plan on keeping a relatively low wastegate setting to ease me into the new power and for track use. at my skill level now on the track crazy high hp wont do me any good. That whole day was a blast.

Do you always run with NASA or other clubs?
What ECU are you running? If it has the "anti-lag" feature you can use that. It will keep the turbo's spool during decceleration so that when you exit the trun you are already in full boost and can just throttle out without worry about spooling up and kicking the *** end out.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

lol, The colors are the company colors and I think they are bad ***! The car is supposed to stand out, it is after all a company race car and event car for us. You can't get a better color to attract your attention.
oh i agree, the goal should be to get attention.

We have been on the phone with Greddy a ton and had them revisit the option of squeezing larger turbos in there and it's just not going to happen without getting rid of a bunch of crap under the hood. Remember this car is only going to run for maybe a year then everything will be moved to a different chassis.
this is the part that doesnt excite me as much for the kind of money and goal for the build, since its still a bolt on in essence and not a custom build with custom piping and sick welds... you could ahve used greddy components all the way still...and achive a larger turbo.... but oh well.

Since larger turbos aren't an option, upgrading them is the only way but being this is a track car, we don't want long spool times so we just had the compressor wheel changed and we see what happens. If they are our bottle neck like we originally figured they would be, we will get another pair from Greddy, send them off to have larger compressor and turbine wheels installed and put them on.

Can't believe you don't like the colors and wrap!

By the way, I added the pictures of the sleeved block from Darton.
it probably looks better in person cause the pics sux a bit. Green is not an easy color, i just don't like too much the tone used..but again thats besides the point.
I think you are worrying too much about the spool time too much already with 3.7L of displacement already, you could have just gotten better heads and rev higher(9k) anyways which would have been better for a track car probably...4.2L is nice, but with such small turbos it kinda defeats the purpuse...some real loopy (280ş+) cams might help
I don't get too concerned on the fact that you use sleeves, i think most of the sleeve failures on the board have been due to bad installs/tunes but the sleeve itself are scapegoated.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-04-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
oh i agree, the goal should be to get attention.

this is the part that doesnt excite me as much for the kind of money and goal for the build, since its still a bolt on in essence and not a custom build with custom piping and sick welds... you could ahve used greddy components all the way still...and achive a larger turbo.... but oh well.

it probably looks better in person cause the pics sux a bit. Green is not an easy color, i just dont liek too much the tone used..but again thats besides the point.
I think you are worrying too much about the spool time too much already with 3.7L of displacement already, you could have jsut gotten better heads and rev higher(9k) anyways which would have been better for a track car probably...4.2L is nice, but with such small turbos it kinda defeats the purpuse...some real loopy (280ş+) cams might help
The rev limit will be 9k and we have the Tomei cams at 280

No way to get better heads than what we have done. Edit: That I know of! lol

I changed the pic of the car on pages 2.

The sooner we reach full boost, the better. We certainly think 4.2L will spool boost quickly even if we change the turbine out but it's better for us to work our way up rather than waste money making modifications that will not benifit our overall performance on the track.

Since Greddy is our main sponsor we are also trying to show what this kit can do with the right work. Also, larger turbo's will help us hit a larger number but will certainly not benifit us on the track. Larger turbo's take longer to spool and we will only be running 650-700 at the track. Even at that, we may find that is too much. The springs in the waste gates will make my minimum boost of 10PSI which could also mean at my lowest boost I may be close to 600rwhp.

Last edited by GAMERMODZoCOM; 05-04-2010 at 07:47 AM.