Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

exedy stage 2 vs act 6 puck for vortech

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
ccchaorule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exedy stage 2 vs act 6 puck for vortech

i was set on getting the act 6 puck but after talking to a couple vendors, they said the driveability is going to suck for daily driviing. they recommended the exedy stage 2, which will hold the power and will drive better for everyday driving. Exedy stage 2 is 100 dolllars more, is it worth itt?? what clutch would you guys get? as for flywheel, i had an ACT prolite flywheel, the chattering was pretty loud, i was thinking about going with streetlite, is there going to be a big difference?? which one would you guys get?

Last edited by ccchaorule; 07-08-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM
350Z400rwhp

Have you considered the JWT clutch? I love mine and have a Vortech.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's a DD avoid any 6-puck if budget allows. I curse at mine almost every time I drive it.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM
ccchaorule

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Have you considered the JWT clutch? I love mine and have a Vortech.
does it hold the power?? i heard the pedal was really soft, i want something a lil stiffer that can hold more power. also the flywheel is really light, i had a act prolite flywheel and it was really annoying, so im trying to stay away with really light flywheels, hoping the act streetlite thats 16.9 lbs wont be as annoyiing
Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
ccchaorule

Originally Posted by djamps
If it's a DD avoid any 6-puck if budget allows. I curse at mine almost every time I drive it.
lol.. damn its like that??? i definitely want something drivable, the act 6 puck is that badd???
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM
ccchaorule

the vendor told me the exedy stage 2 should hold as much power as the 6puck, but there is no way, the exedy stage 2 is only a 3 puck, and i think i read somewhere its only rated at 352 lbs of torque?? does that sound right?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by ccchaorule
does it hold the power?? i heard the pedal was really soft, i want something a lil stiffer that can hold more power. also the flywheel is really light, i had a act prolite flywheel and it was really annoying, so im trying to stay away with really light flywheels, hoping the act streetlite thats 16.9 lbs wont be as annoyiing
It's about 20% harder to press in than stock and it holds the power fine. The engagement is very smooth and quick. You really can't go wrong with the JWT clutch if you have a Vortech.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM
ccchaorule

hmm i might consider JWT, but im still leaning more towards ACT 6 puck sprung. im deciding more over the flywheel, prolite or streetlite? what do you guys think
Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

lol.. damn its like that??? i definitely want something drivable, the act 6 puck is that badd???
Yea it's bad...enough that I don't think a single person has not stalled several times the first time they drive it. It also shudders when engaging off the line. well even worse because I have a light flywheel. I suspect if it was a stock flywheel it wouldn't be as bad.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the JWT clutch will hold just about anything the vortec can make (at least on stock motor).

Tom
Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the exact set up that you want - ACT 6 puck sprung hub clutch (G6) with their streetlite flywheel.

Clutch :

Maybe the member above who said it sucks to daily drive has the unsprung hub clutch (R6) but I have no problem whatsoever daily driving mine, even in traffic. It's definitely not easy like stock, but it's not unbearable. If anything, it makes my car more fun to drive.

The JWT clutch and the Exedy Stage 2, I believe, are rated about the same but ACT 6 puck has a higher torque rating, so it'll hold the most power (theoretically). Keep in mind the advantages and disadvantages of the material (organic, kevlar, ceramic, etc), along with differences in the clutch design (full face vs puck style) - I'll let you research that.

Flywheel:

JWT's flywheel (14.4lbs) is just over a pound heavier than the prolite (13.2?), but you'll still have chatter. Even with the streetlite flywheel (16.9), there is chatter. It's just the nature of things; get used to it or go back to stock (dual-mass; 22 or 27 lbs).

With that being said, you should again look at the material the face plates are made of. JWT has replaceable face plates that are made of aluminum. You'll probably wear it out faster but at least you won't have to buy another flywheel when it needs replacing. The ACT flywheel is made of stainless steel and must be replaced whole. As far as clamping force, I think ACT was rated higher, but I can't remember.

Anyway, lots of things to think about. I suggest you do your research and determine which one is right for you.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 PM
ccchaorule

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I have the exact set up that you want - ACT 6 puck sprung hub clutch (G6) with their streetlite flywheel.

Clutch :

Maybe the member above who said it sucks to daily drive has the unsprung hub clutch (R6) but I have no problem whatsoever daily driving mine, even in traffic. It's definitely not easy like stock, but it's not unbearable. If anything, it makes my car more fun to drive.

The JWT clutch and the Exedy Stage 2, I believe, are rated about the same but ACT 6 puck has a higher torque rating, so it'll hold the most power (theoretically). Keep in mind the advantages and disadvantages of the material (organic, kevlar, ceramic, etc), along with differences in the clutch design (full face vs puck style) - I'll let you research that.

Flywheel:

JWT's flywheel (14.4lbs) is just over a pound heavier than the prolite (13.2?), but you'll still have chatter. Even with the streetlite flywheel (16.9), there is chatter. It's just the nature of things; get used to it or go back to stock (dual-mass; 22 or 27 lbs).

With that being said, you should again look at the material the face plates are made of. JWT has replaceable face plates that are made of aluminum. You'll probably wear it out faster but at least you won't have to buy another flywheel when it needs replacing. The ACT flywheel is made of stainless steel and must be replaced whole. As far as clamping force, I think ACT was rated higher, but I can't remember.

Anyway, lots of things to think about. I suggest you do your research and determine which one is right for you.
thanks alot for your feedback, i have been reading forums all day, and you probably gave me the best input cuz you actually have this exact setup, but overall driveability, do you recommend this setup for daily driving??
Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 PM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i vote the JWT setup. I have their clutch and flywheel for about 25k miles, holds my 500ish whp just fine and is very street friendly. I've had it slip when hot at the track but for vortech power it'll be perfect.
btw mine is the z32 disk and pressure plate.

ross
Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

thanks alot for your feedback, i have been reading forums all day, and you probably gave me the best input cuz you actually have this exact setup, but overall driveability, do you recommend this setup for daily driving??

Since you just have a Vortech and aren't probably going for max power, I'd recommend the JWT. Unless you plan on going to lots of track days, JWT should be fine. If all you're doing is daily driving, you shouldn't even be looking at the puck style clutches anyway.

Just weigh the pros and cons of each clutch/flywheel and choose what best suits your needs.