Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Upgraded gt35r

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010 | 07:48 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
I was assuming the info regarding the piping change was correct. My bad.
yeah no worries...and its easy to get confused with the gt37r on the atp site... i knew you had no bad intentions, i just wanted to make sure the info is correct, it has confused me in the past 2....so thing is, had i not said it the incorrect info would have stayed in the thread and people were already jumping to conclusion, etc and despite the many users nobody was stepping up to respond ... this thread kind carries a bit of a drama from a prior thread i guess, but again, i am not here to stir anything up, just wanted to make sure the right info is also there on the kit, and try to give some advice to op(again) for whatever its worth i guess....
So again, upgrading to gt37r requiers no new piping upgrade.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 07-16-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2010 | 05:44 AM
james12345pt

Default built powerlab projects

I been in touch with two others from the forum that are in the process of completing their builds/tuning so we should see some new results sometime in August. I am looking into the 1.06 turbine housing for the GT35r and possibly an AEM Meth kit to boot. I love the GT35R's powerband, it spools quickly, has a nice linear pull and makes power on the topend. It has been able to produce 600whp+ on other apps so I know It has more in it than I'm achieving at this point. I have spoke several times with Garrett reps and the guys at Force Performance and both parties feel that the turbine housing is way too small for an high boost app on this platform on pumped gas. Garrett reported that the .82 turbine housing was meant for a engine with a displacement of 2.0 to 2.5 liters or to be used as twins on an v8 app. They stated that the only turbine housing that they would use on an 3.5 liter would be the 1.06 if the user was going to use higher boost levels. I think this is the reason why the turbo spools so well and achieves good power on the stock setup. They also stated that they felt that the 1.06 turbine housing would not achieve the 600whp level on this app but would come close with the aid of meth injection. All parties that I have discussed this with do agree that that larger housing should only create ~200-400 rpm lag in the spool but should add 40 -50 whp with no problems without meth. This would mean that the car would start boosting around 3000-3001 and be in full boost by 3500rpms with an extra 40 50whp. Not Bad! This power level would most likely max out a single Walbro 255 on a stage 1 rfs and anymore power would require race compound tires, stage 3 rfs, etc, etc. MO MONEY! MO MONEY! This would be the most cost effective mod to hit my goal and help maintain the powerband of the GT35r

Last edited by james12345pt; 07-17-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2010 | 07:27 AM
GreenGoblin

Are you going that route or is it just an option for now?
Old 07-17-2010 | 07:37 AM
str8dum1

that what was said from day 1, bigger turbine housing and meth...

You'll never need any more fuel system than you already have to full max out that turbo. Plus since you arent going to run race gas, you'll never run that much boost anyhow.

good luck!
Old 07-17-2010 | 07:58 AM
binder

Originally Posted by james12345pt
It has been able to produce 600whp+ on other apps so I know It has more in it than I'm achieving at this point. I have spoke several times with Garrett reps and the guys at Force Performance and both parties feel that the turbine housing is way too small for an high boost app on this platform on pumped gas.
It can make more on other platforms because they are smaller displacement. You have to match the turbo to the engine. If you put a too small of a turbo on a large displacement motor it will choke and not make the power it would make on a smaller engine. so a 2.5L with this turbo could be over 600 but you put it on a 3.5L and the turbo won't allow that extra exhaust gas from the larger engine through and choke the motor down.

So yes, the reps are telling you the correct things. Like rich (str8) said the larger housing will help and you'll need meth for temps and octane (along with helping out the single pump). He's right.
Old 07-17-2010 | 08:06 AM
james12345pt

We have other members of the forum that will beat me to the punch in August so we should has results pretty soon. I can't get back up to IP until sometime in September but If we see the results that I am hoping for; then, yes I will be going this route. I have already ordered an 1.06 turbine housing but am wait to purchase the meth kit from IP. They will be doing the tuning.

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Are you going that route or is it just an option for now?
Old 07-17-2010 | 10:22 AM
str8dum1

ya I'd wait on the meth kit. the reduced backpressure might be all that you needed.
Old 07-18-2010 | 08:21 AM
Mr_pharmD

When does the gt37r in the powerlab kit build full boost?
Old 07-18-2010 | 08:56 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
Since it's similar in size to the precision 6262 you could use the 6262 estimates. Vas says he's full boost around 3400 rpms or so (9psi).

That obviously will vary slightly from kit to kit but it's a pretty good estimate and seems to be on target from what James was saying. He said powerlab told him that it would be 200-400 rpm slower at building boost. He's building at ~3k with the 35r so that means about 3400 with the 37r.

That's still hella low. Truthfully it would depend on how you are using it. if you want a dyno number then that's the path, if you probably aren't going to be running high 500hp but occasionally you could stay with the smaller turbo and use the meth to overcome that last little bit.

my 6765 spools 10psi at 4000-4100 in 3rd gear. 3k would be super nice but it'll never put down the crazy numbers this 6765 will. Gotta pay to play i guess
Old 07-18-2010 | 09:45 AM
Mr_pharmD

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but from intenses dyno of the 37r it seems to br around 5.8k when the tq starts to drop off. So doesn't that mean that's when u bascially hit full boost?
Old 07-18-2010 | 10:04 AM
binder

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but from intenses dyno of the 37r it seems to br around 5.8k when the tq starts to drop off. So doesn't that mean that's when u bascially hit full boost?
hmm, maybe on that graph since they were running such high boost but most of the graphs i've seen with boost plotted the boost levels off before peak torque is seen, not after torque starts to fall. Boost "should" max before torque is all the way up. Torque will follow the boost for obvious reasons (the boost makes the power).
Old 07-18-2010 | 11:31 AM
marra23

4000rpm 3rd gear
Old 07-18-2010 | 06:05 PM
Elperuano

im in for the results... this may be a route i might take... helluva lot easier on my amex card thas for sure.. won't mind the lil lag delay i hit full boost at 3.2-3.3k right now so i wont mind hittin full boost at 200-400rpms more if it'll make for 50 or so extra ponies.
Old 07-18-2010 | 06:45 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Elperuano
im in for the results... this may be a route i might take... helluva lot easier on my amex card thas for sure.. won't mind the lil lag delay i hit full boost at 3.2-3.3k right now so i wont mind hittin full boost at 200-400rpms more if it'll make for 50 or so extra ponies.
i can't remember, are you on a built block? This wouldn't benefit a stock block user at all.

And i wouldn't do anything until you get it on the dyno and max it like james and then decide you don't like how it feels when you drive it.
Old 07-18-2010 | 07:47 PM
Elperuano

Originally Posted by binder
i can't remember, are you on a built block? This wouldn't benefit a stock block user at all.

And i wouldn't do anything until you get it on the dyno and max it like james and then decide you don't like how it feels when you drive it.
Naw im on stock block... Im looking to build the motor sometime soon but from what ive seen the result james had on his built block i think he only jumped like 60 or so hp with a built block on the gt35r which wouldnt make me happy if im gonna build the block i'd like to be able to gain more.
Also i believe he's maxxed out the turbo n gone far more than what it can handle which will also lessen the life of the turbo n thas another issue I dont wanna deal with.

He's basically done everything I wanted to do n in about the same way. Built block on pump gas with some decent numbers. I was also lookin for mid 500's or so n i know he feel short of that on the dyno he was on.

Pretty much if im gonna do a fully built block i dont want my turbo holding me back at what seems to be the norm of 500-550 hp these days.
Old 07-18-2010 | 09:28 PM
IIQuickSilverII

mike, get you are ready to build your engine, get it ready to be able to bump the rev limiter a little ... that will help compensate with the lag which depending on how your drive it does becomes overrated.... i tried reachign you a bit back as i was about to sell my meth kit dirt cheap... but i have since decided to keep it...i would consider that mod either way.
Old 07-19-2010 | 12:18 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Naw im on stock block... Im looking to build the motor sometime soon but from what ive seen the result james had on his built block i think he only jumped like 60 or so hp with a built block on the gt35r which wouldnt make me happy if im gonna build the block i'd like to be able to gain more.
Also i believe he's maxxed out the turbo n gone far more than what it can handle which will also lessen the life of the turbo n thas another issue I dont wanna deal with.

He's basically done everything I wanted to do n in about the same way. Built block on pump gas with some decent numbers. I was also lookin for mid 500's or so n i know he feel short of that on the dyno he was on.

Pretty much if im gonna do a fully built block i dont want my turbo holding me back at what seems to be the norm of 500-550 hp these days.

not to go too off topic but you're jumping the gun if you don't have all your stuff yet. You have about 10-15 grand left of stuff to buy before you need to worry about upgrading the turbo.

James put down 530 something on a DJ dyno. My math might be incorrect but that's mid 500's to me. WHen you start going over that on a single pump setup your'e going to run out of fuel. So you just upgraded a turbo and then need another 1500$ for a fuel system to make any difference. Like i said, wait til you get there, it's a lot more than just slapping a new turbo on it to make more power.
Old 07-19-2010 | 01:02 PM
midz350

Originally Posted by binder
not to go too off topic but you're jumping the gun if you don't have all your stuff yet. You have about 10-15 grand left of stuff to buy before you need to worry about upgrading the turbo.

James put down 530 something on a DJ dyno. My math might be incorrect but that's mid 500's to me. WHen you start going over that on a single pump setup your'e going to run out of fuel. So you just upgraded a turbo and then need another 1500$ for a fuel system to make any difference. Like i said, wait til you get there, it's a lot more than just slapping a new turbo on it to make more power.

Old 07-19-2010 | 01:51 PM
james12345pt

Default power

I made 462 whp on IP's DD dyno and ~520 whp an local Dynojet. My goal was to achieve just over 500 whp on IP's dyno. This would have been right at 100 whp over my stock setup. I planned my build and support mods around this power level. I felt that if I could achieve this power level I would trap in the 120's and this would, in my mine, justice the cost of the build. Crazy, might be but this was my goal.

Last edited by james12345pt; 07-19-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2010 | 02:00 PM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by james12345pt
I made 462 whp on IP's DD dyno and ~520 whp an local Dynojet. My goal was to achieve just over 500 whp on IP's dyno. This would have been right at 100 whp over my stock setup. I planned my build and support mods around this power level. I felt that if I could achieve this power level I would trap in the 120's and this would, in my mine, justice the cost of the build. Crazy, might be but this was my goal.
I’m curious though… did you ever run the car at the track with stock motor? If so, what did you trap?

speedsniper consistently trapped 116 mph with 360 whp (DynoJet) in his PowerLab 350Z, this was in AZ too. I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t trap in the 120’s as it is.

Last edited by thatv35guy; 07-19-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgraded gt35r