Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Twin Turbo tuned with Osiris at ZCar Garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:57 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by - bigc -
hmm, very interesting then. for a while, folks have been trying to figure out why some MAFs max out while others don't. for the vortechs, at least, it has been whether or not the tune relied solely on the MAF or whether the ECU/piggy back/standalone got it's data from other sources (MAP sensor, vortech FMU using boost pressure to adjust, etc). if you were comfortably tuned over 400hp (how much boost, btw?) then it throws all that into question
It's possible to still 'tune' a past a maxed out MAF. Your fuel and timing control will be based solely on RPM after the fact...certainly doable.

Are you guys with your stock MAF's datalogging to prove you're not maxed out (and that your tuner didn't cut corners to make it work)? Because I know I could make it work if I really wanted to, but why risk it.

Last edited by djamps; 07-24-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vortech cars still retain the stock MAF housing and have smaller diameter piping up the the housing, then it bumps up...so on the vortech cars you typically run out of maf volatge a lil quicker...where as most of the TT cars use a lil larger piping diameter on the throttle inlet piping so you can usually get a lil more out of them.

Usually the MAF maxes out between 385-400 whp...from what we have seen. I wanted to do a 3.25"-3.5" throttle inlet pipe for the vortech cars and see if with a 2.87 pulley would max out the stock MAF at that piping diameter...but we haven't had time to test one yet...
Old 07-24-2010, 06:03 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ sounds about right. I witnessed a TT Z max out it's stock MAF around 400whp today on the dyno.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by mdcruz88
Definitely agreed. Already hawking the marketplace for built long/short blocks. A steal of a deal is bound go pop up sooner or later!
I got a steal of deal from the market place 2 years later I got sick of fixing my steal of deal every time I tried to put more than 19psi to it save yourself a serious head ache and buy a new short or long block.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM
mdcruz88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...I coulda probably got by without the upgraded MAF and maybe with some smaller injectors. But after going through the headaches that poor tuning solutions bring (Greddy eManage Blue) I wanted to give my tuner as much headroom and flexibility to work with. Plus if I build later anyways...

I'll snap some pics of the old girl soon.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
mdcruz88

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
save yourself a serious head ache and buy a new short or long block.
Yeahhhh, good thing for me to keep in mind.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 PM
accordfreak

i'm near z car garage and am looking for a tuner. i'm guessing you highly recommend him? what's his going rate for tuning?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
mdcruz88

I don't have any experience with any other shop, so I'm unable to compare it otherwise.

But from what my experience was, Rob does excellent work and he takes care of your car as if it were his own. At times he's super busy and may fall behind schedule, however that's because he's in high demand. We had a hiccup in scheduling, but if you stay in constant communication with him everything will be kosher. Phone contact is definitely better than email with Rob.

Other than that, the proof is in the pudding. The car pulls hard without a hint of hesitation. No oil or coolant burning, clean idle, stable boost, good throttle response, and great gas mileage. Not the biggest numbers in the world, but with that rattle in the head...375whp on a conservative tune aint bad at all.

Last edited by mdcruz88; 07-26-2010 at 09:53 AM.