Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can a dual oil cooler set-up be effectively used??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 06:15 AM
str8dum1

^and then completely block the airflow for the turbo intakes?

You guys are crazy . if you wanna spend money for the sake of spending money, get 2 oil coolers. There hasnt been 1 person on here that has oil temp problems with just one of the tiny 13 row coolers used by GTM/stillen etc.

Another thing to consider is the additional load on the oil pump. Revs + excessive oil backpressure = busted pump.

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-10-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 07:18 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^and then completely block the airflow for the turbo intakes?

You guys are crazy . if you wanna spend money for the sake of spending money, get 2 oil coolers. There hasnt been 1 person on here that has oil temp problems with just one of the tiny 13 row coolers used by GTM/stillen etc.

Another thing to consider is the additional load on the oil pump. Revs + excessive oil backpressure = busted pump.
I have to disagree with you on this one......and remember I am speaking from experience and not from a magazine ....

When I had the 700bb setup... I road race the crap out of the car.....temps would say above 250. The first 3 laps were ok ... But after that it would climb and kept climbing.

That's why I went with twins when I switched to the 850bb.....believe it or not temps stayed low allowing me to lap as much as o wanted.

I also stated that just having 2 will not fix the problem....you have to have good placement or give it direct air supply....

Positioning is also important and that brings to your statement to Chris about turbo intake .....that only applies to the Z... Not the G. What you could say about me placing mine in that area is that I am blocking air to my brakes....but look closely at the angle of the coolers.....they are at an angle to allow air to both. If Chris positions it in that way he will not have an issue.

BTW..... With the 700bb I had a single Stillen cooler.

Last edited by XKR; 08-10-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 07:32 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by - bigc -
^ off topic, but do your fans ever click on when you aren't running your A/C / heater?
Not that I'm aware of. I thought they weren't working for a while actually LOL. Coolant temps are actually lower on average with A/C running.
Old 08-10-2010 | 07:45 AM
rrmedicx

I removed my stock OEM Oil Cooler/warmer and installed an external oil cooler. Still when I run at the track (road course) I can see my temps get into the 250's +.
At this point, I am looking at either running 2 oil coolers in series or simply 1 larger cooler to replace the existing one.
Old 08-10-2010 | 07:55 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I removed my stock OEM Oil Cooler/warmer and installed an external oil cooler. Still when I run at the track (road course) I can see my temps get into the 250's +.
At this point, I am looking at either running 2 oil coolers in series or simply 1 larger cooler to replace the existing one.
options: u can run 2FMICs like the original 500bbJWT.... which was no where near as effective/efficient as simply ONE larger one....which is what i did..... the other cooler i have on the other side of my 5" core is for PE. I am pretty much clsoe to rich's point on this one...seen enough drift/track cars, enough high hp supras and their setup, and avg temps seen in az heat, i am quite confident that i have that covered.
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:04 AM
rrmedicx

Jorge, i have no desire to replace my intercooler. I was referring to my oil temps.
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:16 AM
XKR

I always use the 3Gen RX7 as an example..... The Touring Model came with 1 oil cooler and the R1 & R2 came with 2 and they were positioned in the same location as mine. Anyone that knows those cars know that they run hot..... The pic below... If you mag up you can see the 2 coolers......that is the only position they can be placed in foe direct air flow...

When I was heavy into RX7's......it was well known that if you have a touring model and want to race it...you would have to or it would be in your best interest to add a second cooler. This applied to all the cars I have raced.

This G has gauges for everything you can think of.......I monitor everything....temps from turbo to IC and out IC....Tire temps display.....of course oil temps/pressure...under hood temps......Just to name a few....I am a temps nut......So when I say it helped me ...you better believe it....But as some have stated.....most will not need this setup...will it hurt you if you install 2 when you only need 1??? No....it's the not having when needed that will hurt you.

Jorge.....your statement about the big single vs 2 smaller could be correct if placement of both could be the same. There would be no way for me to position the big single the same as the smaller twins....ie...the JWT twins vs the single big Greddy......that theory works because you are exchanging out for a bigger setup but placement is about the same.

Like I said..... I would see over 250 degrees when running more than 3 laps with the single.....but way less with twins giving me the ability to run more laps.

Last edited by XKR; 08-10-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:52 AM
djtimodj

Guy this is what ive just done for my oil cooler set up. -12an lines mocal Tstat and a 25row mocal cooler.

Pic before holes were cut in bumper. You can see the dirty patch on the cooler that has been in the air flow. Less than half!
Name:  Iphone4007.jpg
Views: 4868
Size:  184.3 KB

Now with the holes cut my oil temps have dropped 10 C.
Name:  Iphone4011.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  Iphone4010.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  134.1 KB
Old 08-10-2010 | 09:19 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

It really depends on your intended usage for the car. For drag racing, or general street madness, a single cooler is effective. As XKR pointed out, when you road race or track the car, all bets are off, and you need massive coolant and oil cooling systems in place. A secondary cooler works extremely well, particularly because we are space constrained up front on the 350Z/G35.
Old 08-10-2010 | 10:09 AM
str8dum1

did you up the power with the 850bb's as well? 850bb would def run cooler than 700bb at the same power...

But ya, road racing/lapping is an extreme example which few people do, and certainly not ones that need to ask how much oil cooling they need.

Originally Posted by XKR
When I had the 700bb setup... I road race the crap out of the car.....temps would say above 250. The first 3 laps were ok ... But after that it would climb and kept climbing.

That's why I went with twins when I switched to the 850bb.....believe it or not temps stayed low allowing me to lap as much as o wanted.
Old 08-10-2010 | 10:18 AM
XKR

did you up the power with the 850bb's as well? 850bb would def run cooler than 700bb at the same power...

But ya, road racing/lapping is an extreme example which few people do, and certainly not ones that need to ask how much oil cooling they need.
Yeah.....power went way up....I think I went to 800whp DJ...

I agree....that's why I used road racing as the only reason I can see that you would even think of adding a second cooler.....it really taxes the car!!!
Old 08-10-2010 | 10:51 AM
- bigc -

that's dedication right there sir

Name:  Iphone4011.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  119.1 KB
Old 08-10-2010 | 11:03 AM
XKR

I did not see that pic before.... It would not open until now.....I agree...dedication is correct.....Djtimodj.......that direct flow should help alot....good job
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:02 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Just a random thought, what about mounting a larger single cooler (GTM) in the rear where the OEM muffler canister sits? Would that get enough airflow from under the car I'm asking because the fron is crowed and that is a big empty space other than the meth pump.
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:13 PM
str8dum1

^thats where they put that rear diff cooler, with a shroud it would be fine. Thats alot of plumbing though.

off topic, how'd your lap times compare jumping up to 800whp?

Originally Posted by XKR
Yeah.....power went way up....I think I went to 800whp DJ...

I agree....that's why I used road racing as the only reason I can see that you would even think of adding a second cooler.....it really taxes the car!!!

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-10-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:22 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Jorge, i have no desire to replace my intercooler. I was referring to my oil temps.
you dont need too, it will support way more hp than you have at the moment.... i was just throwing a example to compare....i failed at making that clear s0rry maing.

Originally Posted by Cass007
Just a random thought, what about mounting a larger single cooler (GTM) in the rear where the OEM muffler canister sits? Would that get enough airflow from under the car I'm asking because the fron is crowed and that is a big empty space other than the meth pump.
i think that would def work..its a good location, but i think u migth have to think some logistics with the pump as it has to travel a bit further than in front of the car.
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:40 PM
XKR

^thats where they put that rear diff cooler, with a shroud it would be fine. Thats alot of plumbing though.

off topic, how'd your lap times compare jumping up to 800whp?
The 700bb I ran at 500whp on the track and around 600whp with the 850bb.......the 700bb was faster around the same track

If I was to run them on a much bigger track....the 850bb was have been faster for sure.
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:52 PM
rrmedicx

Surprised anyone hasn't thought of using one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-C...Q5fCarQ5fParts

Name:  oilcoolerwfan.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  23.2 KB
From www.Summitracing.com

Looks like it could be very effective.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 08-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:18 PM
str8dum1

2 reasons:
1) its hard enough to find room to mount just a cooler. add that shroud and fan and its huge.
2)unless you road race, the single cooler alone is sufficient.

but ya if you could fit it and needed more cooling than just passive, excellent option

That would make a nice diff cooler setup though, as you wouldnt need the cooler in direct airflow

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-10-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:57 PM
XKR

2 reasons:
1) its hard enough to find room to mount just a cooler. add that shroud and fan and its huge.
2)unless you road race, the single cooler alone is sufficient.

but ya if you could fit it and needed more cooling than just passive, excellent option

That would make a nice diff cooler setup though, as you wouldnt need the cooler in direct airflow
.....very true

Quick Reply: Can a dual oil cooler set-up be effectively used??