Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My fun with SFR

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
CAB350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My fun with SFR

Those of you who where here last winter (Which will be most of you) know about some of the issues I was having with the kit. I am by no means the best mechanic out there but i am competent. The issues started with the kit being incomplete when sent to me Tim was easy to get a hold of for these things. However When it come to some of the other issues tim was not so easy to get a hold of.

List of issues as follows:
-Kit was incomplete being sent (parts were shipped later only after I talked to tim about it, I had to pay border fee's but was to be expected)
-Incomplete instructions with countless spelling mistakes through out
-None of the kit mated with the car... it mated with its self though. Welds were quality but The exhaust headers DIDNT fit up to the car, the dumps didnt meet up with the exhaust.
-Intercooler required some serious manipulating of the car to get to fit
- Oil fitaments required manipulation
- Of the injectors that were sent to me 1 ended up seizing
-The "Complete" engine management system had no data on it. which was supposed to have a base tune on it

Needless to say pretty upset. Ive spent over 1000.00$ in random costs including getting parts machine to fit to the car. Ive scraped everything off and gone a different route now.

I haven't even bothered messaging tim as back in april/may he didnt respond to anything i had sent him. So this is loads of money that had been wasted on something i was told that would work but didnt...Infact none of it did.

Im just so frustrated.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 PM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, sounds like a real bad kit and even worse customer service!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
CAB350z

I would say so. Not to mention my cosworth manifold had a perforation around cylinders 3/4...
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CAB350z
Did you bought a TT kit or was it a story about a TT kit??

Seriously.. ho cares man

And sorry to hear this happened to you and GL.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya sucks cuz I made 900whp on the dynodynamics with my SFR kit.

But i full understand where you are coming from. I had to do alot to make it fit. I think thats the drawback of a custom kit made on a jig and not on your car. I think the way SP orientated their pipes is a little better, but I still made it work. I still need to get tabs welded onto my charge pipes still to keep them in place.

Good luck with your future plans.

Last edited by str8dum1; 09-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I have always thought Tim carries himself very well on the forums and seems like a really good guy it is too bad to hear about the OPs issues with the kit and it is unfortunate they were not able to sort things out off of the forum

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 09-27-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I think thats the drawback of a custom kit made on a jig and not on your car.
I don't think this is true. I make my kits on jigs, and have not had any issues at all. There are at least 6 kits out there right now installed and runing just fine. No fitment issues, reported, and I have asked for feedback.

First three sets of pipes were test fitted on my car to ensure that the jigs are 100%.

If the jig is done right, there should not be any problems.

I can tell you that it is VERY important to put all the pipes on the jigs once welded solid. When the tubing is welded it will shift/move/shrink in every direction. This is why I weled my flanges last, on the jig, they don't move once tacked.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no offense but your kit is very basic. You only have 1 turbo thats probably 2 feet of extra piping further from the manifolds. The space you use to run charge pipes, etc is gone with a tubular manifold kit. Your intake is under the car. Hang a big turbo behind the starter and behind the slave cylinder and even if the jig it right, there is alot of finessing to get everything in.

the OP's headers not fitting is not good though. I had to enlarge one of the bolt holes a touch with the dremel, but it was far from not fitting. Tim was usually pretty quick to get back to me with issues. He was supposed to send me some 2 bolt 3" gasket that I never got. He said he'd fix my IC position, but without a 2003 G35 with my turbos to test fit, I might as well get it done locally.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

no offense but your kit is very basic.

None take.

You only have 1 turbo thats probably 2 feet of extra piping further from the manifolds. The space you use to run charge pipes, etc is gone with a tubular manifold kit. Your intake is under the car. Hang a big turbo behind the starter and behind the slave cylinder and even if the jig it right, there is alot of finessing to get everything in.
I think it would be easy to mount a turbo to each bank, and harder to make two banks come together to go to one turbo. This becomes even more difficult when using V-band clamps, as the alignment has to be perfect.

Yes, it would decrease room for charge piping, but he had issues with the turbos not fitting on the headers. That is not good. If the jig is correct, each turbo would fit just fine, with proper clearance all around. I have been playing with two 5757 turbos with B compressor covers, and know what can be done under there. If there is room for the prototype, there should not be any fitment issues for kits manufactured after that.

Also, the charge piping from turbo to FMIC for all TT kits out there is only 2". You will always find 2" of room, all around the motor with room to spare. I managed to run 2.75" piping under the driver side header, so there is room, you just have to get creative.

Just speaking from experience here.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 09-27-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
XKR

OP.....sorry to hear about your troubles.....I am quit sure Tim will chime in and make thing right with you .
Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
CAB350z

Regarding the spelling mistakes comment, It goes to deal with professionalism.

the OP's headers not fitting is not good though. I had to enlarge one of the bolt holes a touch with the dremel, but it was far from not fitting. Tim was usually pretty quick to get back to me with issues. He was supposed to send me some 2 bolt 3" gasket that I never got. He said he'd fix my IC position, but without a 2003 G35 with my turbos to test fit, I might as well get it done locally.
Ended up taking it to a shop, the kit was on the car well enough with no major issues. But with all the problems I have had with it I had them take everything off switched kits. (Sorry boosted, deal was wayy to good to pass up on) and im happy, driving my car and breaking in a new engine(didnt blow mine up just got a really good deal on a completely new set up). My experience was just not a good one with sfr, just want people to be careful in the future.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Regarding the spelling mistakes comment, It goes to deal with professionalism.

Ended up taking it to a shop, the kit was on the car well enough with no major issues. But with all the problems I have had with it I had them take everything off switched kits. (Sorry boosted, deal was wayy to good to pass up on) and im happy, driving my car and breaking in a new engine(didnt blow mine up just got a really good deal on a completely new set up). My experience was just not a good one with sfr, just want people to be careful in the future.
I agree about the professionalism and i would feel the same way! What is your new set up and what shop did you go with?? Local??
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 PM
CAB350z

New set up is a block from IPP, HKS KIT being powered by two disco potatos lol managed by the fcon....

and of course the cosworth manifold with the perforation that we got fixed lol

EDIT: The shop is RCTS and that's where it will get tuned in 3000k

Last edited by CAB350z; 09-27-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Neu Era

damn, sorry to hear.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

I answered all of the emails I got from you.I will still answer them.The instructions are also online as well as multiple base maps.The twin turbo intallation instructions are labeled as infinititurboinstall.It applies for both the 350z and the G35 as there is notes covering the install for each car.

http://speedforceracing.net/software/350ZG35/

The kit is tough to fit but I have personally installed multiple kits.Way too many to think of.Maybe it is easy now because I know all the tricks but I remember giving you my cel phone number if you had any specific questions that I could help you with.There is also another member that has this kit who chimed in on this thread and he did the install himself and he can vouch that it fits, although it is a tough install.There is not alot of room to fit big turbos,external wastegates and tubular headers.But if the turbos are clocked right and everything is correct,it will bolt up.

The dumptubes were open dumps.We could have reciculated them if requested.

On a side note.We have two jigs for the headers,downpipes,etc...... for the G and the 350Z.One set of jigs is for automatic trannies and uses turbos with TO4B compressor housings.The other jig is for six speeds which uses TO4E compressor housings.

We have two jigs for the intercooler.One for the G35(if you opt for the single front mount) and one for the 350Z.I suspect that we might have used the wrong jig but I remember asking you if you wanted to send it back so we could fix this for you.....................

I am not sure why the oil fittings would require manipulation to be honest.......That is the easiest thing to fit!But if the turbo is not indexed properly,you will run into all sorts of troubles with fitment of the piping,oil lines,etc...and that is what I suspect went wrong with your install.

As far as the injectors go.....We get them from a reliable source and have never had an issue with them but I would have sent out a new one if you contacted me.

My point is I am stil here to work with you on this if you wanted.I guess that is up to you.the best way to reach me is info@speedforceracing.com. the phone number to the shop listed on my sponser link down below or my cel phone 619-249-5101.And I am truly sorry you had a bad experience.This is very rare and I would still like to help.BTW,if you sent an email and this goes for anyone.....and you DO NOT receive an automated reply from us....then we DID NOT GET IT!!!!!!!!!

Those of you who where here last winter (Which will be most of you) know about some of the issues I was having with the kit. I am by no means the best mechanic out there but i am competent. The issues started with the kit being incomplete when sent to me Tim was easy to get a hold of for these things. However When it come to some of the other issues tim was not so easy to get a hold of.

List of issues as follows:
-Kit was incomplete being sent (parts were shipped later only after I talked to tim about it, I had to pay border fee's but was to be expected)
-None of the kit mated with the car... it mated with its self though. Welds were quality but The exhaust headers DIDNT fit up to the car, the dumps didnt meet up with the exhaust.
-Intercooler required some serious manipulating of the car to get to fit
- Oil fitaments required manipulation
- Of the injectors that were sent to me 1 ended up seizing
-The "Complete" engine management system had no data on it. which was supposed to have a base tune on it

Needless to say pretty upset. Ive spent over 1000.00$ in random costs including getting parts machine to fit to the car. Ive scraped everything off and gone a different route now.

I haven't even bothered messaging tim as back in april/may he didnt respond to anything i had sent him. So this is loads of money that had been wasted on something i was told that would work but didnt...Infact none of it did.

Im just so frustrated.

Last edited by TurboTim; 09-28-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey, there's Tim now.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
None take.

I think it would be easy to mount a turbo to each bank, and harder to make two banks come together to go to one turbo. This becomes even more difficult when using V-band clamps, as the alignment has to be perfect.

Yes, it would decrease room for charge piping, but he had issues with the turbos not fitting on the headers. That is not good. If the jig is correct, each turbo would fit just fine, with proper clearance all around. I have been playing with two 5757 turbos with B compressor covers, and know what can be done under there. If there is room for the prototype, there should not be any fitment issues for kits manufactured after that.

Also, the charge piping from turbo to FMIC for all TT kits out there is only 2". You will always find 2" of room, all around the motor with room to spare. I managed to run 2.75" piping under the driver side header, so there is room, you just have to get creative.

Just speaking from experience here.
We have sold over 100 of these systems for the G and the Z.He had issues with the headers fitting onto the heads not the turbos fitting to the headers. Rich had the same issue.Rich and this customer got their kits about the same time and we got some flanges from the waterjetter that didnt have the bolt holes quite large enough.So some of them needed to be enlarged.They did fit on our jig but on the head with studs,it was a different story.We have since checked every header that goes out of here on a cylinder head to ensure that doesnt happen again.

The 2" charge piping is an easy install.It does come close to the steering rack on the driver side and you have to move brackets for power steering lines,etc...and if this isnt done,then the install seems next to impossible!!!!!!And if the compressor housings are not indexed right,it will be impossible to line the charge piping up.This is all standard installation stuff that an experienced turbo installer knows about.

I have been building turbos systems and working with jigs for over 15 years so I am very much aware of how to make parts.So are my employees.And the fact is someone chimed in who installed their own kit,themselves! And Kevin also installed his system some time back with a crapload of pictures,etc..... and there was a big thread about it a few years ago.

Last edited by TurboTim; 09-28-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 AM
deanfootlong

sounds like this install was just way over the OP's head. thats all. mistakes happen when ordering parts. its up to the person installing to know what needs to be done/changed.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, with all due respect ..
Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
CAB350z

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
OP, with all due respect ..
It's okay I can take hate .

In the end I got everything to fit, the car was running I just was not happy. Seems like there were a few communication errors on both sides. The kit it's self was made well aside from a few things select things(fit with itself well) I choose to be stubborn about sending things to the states just because it gets expensive from our side.

I will be sending Tim an email when I get home tonight so we can talk about things and be happy.

Quick Reply: My fun with SFR