Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FI Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM
mazymus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FI Build

After talking to few members, and reading tons of treads, thinking of the following for my FI build on an 03. I know there's a lot more things to read and learn, and am doing it as time allows.

-Vortech V3 complete kit
-3.12 pulley
-Some sort of HFC (still researching, looking for something that sound close to stock and not too loud if possible with decent gains)
-4.08 final drive
-oil temp/wideband/boost gauge
-uprev reflash
-maybe motordyne 5/16 spacer
-maybe headers, but am leaning against it at this point

I'm keeping the stock fuel injectors, and will be using fuel pump from the vortech kit. Debating if I should instead use the 225 walbro pump, 600cc injectors, and upgrade fuel lines.

Any thoughts above above. Any additions? Anything I should remove from above?

Pretty excited to get this going, like to get some more fun out of my 03 Z. I have to stay SC in Cali, TT/ST not an option.
Thanks

Last edited by mazymus; 11-11-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:16 AM
scenehouser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your plans are very similar to mine.. i also have a 03 and just ordered a vortech v3 tuner kit.

i'm going with dw 600cc injectors, walbro 255 and an haltech stand alone.

why not go with the tuner kit if you are going for an uprev tune?

the stock injectors won't do for the 3.12 pulley but you don't need a returnfuel system untill you go above 400 whp which you won't reach with the 3.12 pulley.

i say change these parts on your list: vortech v3 tuner kit, 600cc injectors and walbro 255 pump.

not sure about upgrading the final drive on a FI car.. traction is already a problem with hard launches on any vortech system..

Originally Posted by mazymus
After talking to few members, and reading tons of treads, thinking of the following for my FI build on an 03. I know there's a lot more things to read and learn, and am doing it as time allows.

-Vortech V3 complete kit
-3.12 pulley
-Some sort of HFC (still researching, looking for something that sound close to stock and not too loud if possible with decent gains)
-4.08 final drive
-oil temp/wideband/boost gauge
-uprev reflash
-maybe motordyne 5/16 spacer
-maybe headers, but am leaning against it at this point

I'm keeping the stock fuel injectors, and will be using fuel pump from the vortech kit. Debating if I should instead use the 225 walbro pump, 600cc injectors, and upgrade fuel lines.

Any thoughts above above. Any additions? Anything I should remove from above?

Pretty excited to get this going, like to get some more fun out of my 03 Z. I have to stay SC in Cali, TT/ST not an option.
Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 AM
mazymus

Thanks for the response
Reason for goings complete kit is to get the carb sticker on the blower...

Re FD, I was thinking the same thing after reading some FD posts. I think they said def not for turbo kits but ok for SC. But maybe not, as you said, traction will be hard.

Stealthz had vortech 2.87 w the FD and was ok w it. I'll ask him again about traction issues
Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 AM
scenehouser

the final drive is the type of mod you should consider after your vortech is up running. then you will know if you need more speed and if you still have traction to spare...
Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 AM
kajuraelai

Maybe its me, but i thought when your in FI you wanted to stay in gear longer, so the FD was good for NA cars, but bad for us vortech heads ?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
tylerxfire

if u are using uprev for the tuning then u will need to do injectors and a walbro fuel pump and depending on what pulley u run with uprev u may need to get a pmas maf..u will not be able to use an fmu and inline pump and stock injectors due to not using the ss box....

just get a complete vortech kit with inline pump and ss box and fmu and use that depending on ur power goal here, simple and easy and u can still run the 3.12 pulley with that setup..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 11-12-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:57 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by scenehouser
your plans are very similar to mine.. i also have a 03 and just ordered a vortech v3 tuner kit.

i'm going with dw 600cc injectors, walbro 255 and an haltech stand alone.

why not go with the tuner kit if you are going for an uprev tune?

the stock injectors won't do for the 3.12 pulley but you don't need a returnfuel system untill you go above 400 whp which you won't reach with the 3.12 pulley.

i say change these parts on your list: vortech v3 tuner kit, 600cc injectors and walbro 255 pump.

not sure about upgrading the final drive on a FI car.. traction is already a problem with hard launches on any vortech system..

stock injectors are fine for the complete kit and 3.12 pulley..i ran it many many miles...with the complete kit there is an inline added pump and fmu that raise fuel pressure and i had plenty of fuel for that pulley..and made 420whp on a dynojet with that setup plus bolt ons...so yes the stockers are just fine when used in that setup..

also u are saying that 400whp is not obtainable with 3.12 pulley which is very false, and also saying a fuel return is necessary which it is not..many people do including myself make that power with that pulley and no fuel return..dont spread more false info..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 11-12-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how many other guys on here are north of 400whp (DJ) with the 3.12 pulley on a stock block non-revup?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by - bigc -
how many other guys on here are north of 400whp (DJ) with the 3.12 pulley on a stock block non-revup?
on a dynojet with 3.12 pulley and a manual car there are more than a handful thats for sure..im not gonna dig them up but in a search im sure they can be found....in my previous searching days i found many
Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
money042

Thanks for the response
Reason for goings complete kit is to get the carb sticker on the blower...
I'm shopping for my setup now. I've decided to do the tuner kit and do upgrades for fuel and engine management. I live in Maryland now, but plan to move back to California in about two years. I didn't realize the CARB sticker is only available on the complete kit. My question is... If I keep the upgrades mild, would I pass emissions/smog tests? Is the CARB sticker required to pass? Do they even check under the hood for the "add-ons?"

Last edited by money042; 11-12-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 AM
- bigc -

the CARB number is on a plate on the blower. you get it regardless of whether you order a full kit or the tuner kit.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:09 AM
tylerxfire

if u want to go away from the complete kit and live in cali then the best thing u can do is ask whoever is tuning it what they recommend..once u change the injectors and ems and all u are likely to get other codes popping up..which is why i say the complete kit is a simple setup that wont cause u problems during inspection and can still make decent power on the 3.12 pulley with the stock fuel system still in place..you can even add bigger injectors to the complete kit up to 550cc easily and scale them with ss box and run the 2.87 pulley with the complete kit
Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
mazymus

Does v3 still come with the ss box?

If so, the w the complete kit and 3.12 pulley, should I web bother tuning the ss kit?

Thanks guys, very helpful advice

The shop I was speaking with told me tuner kit doesn't have the carb number. I can check w vortech later on
Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 PM
- bigc -

i can guarantee you the carb eo number is attached to the blower and it doesn't matter whether you order the full kit or tuner kit. i bought a tuner kit that was drop-shipped directly from vortech and the carb plaque is attached to the blower (the blue thing in the bottom right corner of the pic below).

Last edited by - bigc -; 11-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 PM
usingthejohn

^^^
that is one sexy engine bay
Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 PM
mazymus

Originally Posted by - bigc -
i can guarantee you the carb eo number is attached to the blower and it doesn't matter whether you order the full kit or tuner kit. i bought a tuner kit that was drop-shipped directly from vortech and the carb plaque is attached to the blower (the blue thing in the bottom right corner of the pic below).

very clean, well done!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 AM
tylerxfire

Does v3 still come with the ss box?

If so, the w the complete kit and 3.12 pulley, should I web bother tuning the ss kit?

Thanks guys, very helpful advice

The shop I was speaking with told me tuner kit doesn't have the carb number. I can check w vortech later on

yes it does come with ss box as far as i know..and the ss box is pre-tuned for the 3.33 pulley and it is a very very safe tune..Whichever pulley you use you should have the car properly dyno tuned...that base tune from vortech will get you where your going though..

will you be installing the kit or someone else? u would be fine to throw the 3.12 pulley on with the install just be easy on it and dont boost it until u get on a dyno and have it tuned

Last edited by tylerxfire; 11-13-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 PM
mazymus

Talking

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
yes it does come with ss box as far as i know..and the ss box is pre-tuned for the 3.33 pulley and it is a very very safe tune..Whichever pulley you use you should have the car properly dyno tuned...that base tune from vortech will get you where your going though..

will you be installing the kit or someone else? u would be fine to throw the 3.12 pulley on with the install just be easy on it and dont boost it until u get on a dyno and have it tuned
i'll be having someone else installing the kit. it's very reassuring to hear that i have can have the basic kit w/ the 3.12 running without the need for the upgrades. i figured that the extra boost and air necessitating extra fuel needed better injectors/pump. i've talked to a couple of tuners and one says i don't need it, and the other says i absolutely need it. interesting how two experts can have completely opposite views...

i guess if people have already tried it without the upgraded injectors/pump, then i can't argue w/ that.

so the plan will be to install the vortech/3.12/tune and see how the car responds/feels. If I'm getting too much boost, I'll upgrade the HFC. if i feel i could use the extra torque-y feeling, i'll consider upgrading the FD. I may upgrade the LSD while I'm at it.

maybe i should get upgraded brakes as well wife's not gonna be amused w/ the next credit card bill
Old 11-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should ignore the tuners and find out what size the SS box is tuned for. I believe it is stock in order to retain the carb certification.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Quamen
You should ignore the tuners and find out what size the SS box is tuned for. I believe it is stock in order to retain the carb certification.
yeah ss box comes pre tuned for the 3.33 pulley which is the stock pulley, but as far as i know most cali guys run the 3.12 with no problem, its too hard to tell the difference in the pulley by looking at it...

Quick Reply: FI Build