Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not worth it... i would have saved the amount spent and bought a GTR or even a Z06.

Last edited by maXmood; 02-07-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Erdem

Yeah that 420ttz was HOT Nitrouz!! I loved the black GT-S with the red on them

edit: to answer the question.. it hasn't been worth it for me neither yet.. car has been sleeping 6 months now waiting for the new motor.. :MAD:

Last edited by Erdem; 02-07-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Id honestly rather have a C6 Z06 with H/C/Dr's and run low 10's NA, AND not worry about having a timebomb for a motor.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 AM
SH Luciano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35
**** no, I could have had a GT-R mostly paid off by now with all of the money I dumped
yah, and then you would have modified the GTR and broken something on that where the parts are more expensive . while i do agree with your sentence, and have thought that many times, i've come to the realizition that modifying vehicles to go faster is a disease, for which there is no known cure.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Erdem

Originally Posted by Alberto
Id honestly rather have a C6 Z06 with H/C/Dr's and run low 10's NA, AND not worry about having a timebomb for a motor.
+1billion
Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 AM
SH Luciano

see, that's how it starts...like i said a couple posts back people spending time in the FI forum here just aren't satisfied with a stock car...no matter how fast it is. even a head/cam/intake z06 running 10's can give out, that's just what happens when you mod cars. not to mention it's really not going to be less expensive since the start up cost to get into a z06 is so much higher, even a used one.

i've heard those motors can have problems dropping valves, and the pistons don't like the added heat from even a little bit of boost.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by SH Luciano
i've come to the realizition that modifying vehicles to go faster is a disease, for which there is no known cure.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 AM
abushong504

I think it depends on a lot of factors. It definitely isn't cheap. You will always be worrying about something going wrong. You can never take your car to a normal shop. Usually "easy" fixes (such as power power steering pump, starter, alternator, etc.) are now a lot harder to replace. There is so much more you have to keep on tap with more than you did before. Engine warm-up, watching your oil, watching coolant, etc.

It literally becomes an addiction. Heck, I've spent this much so far, what is another grand. Parts become more to replace, and you have to replace them more and more often.

However, I wouldn't take it back for the world. I might have chosen a different route from the beginning to save me some money along the way. But, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I think the main thing is finding a tuner/shop that stand 100% behind their work and that know exactly what they are doing. I think this is the most difficult aspect. As just about all would say that they do.

I know people say they would rather have a z06, gtr, etc. But, I honestly wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, both would be great. A for the muscle cars and z06's so many people around here have those, it just wouldn't be fun, and then the modding would begin with that. The process would start over again. A GTR would be nice, but maintenance, insurance, and upgrades to that would be way more than I can afford. I love having my Z that no one gives any credit to. They are always shocked when they see what it can do. Maybe it is where I live, who knows, but I wouldn't take back what I did. Call me crazy lol, maybe I am just in denial, but I love it.

Maybe my mind will change in a couple of months as Alberto says his does. But as of right now, motor is good, car is strong, no problems. If you don't mind keeping your fingers crossed all of the time, go for it :P

Just be sure you have to the funds to do so. It isn't cheap. That is the main thing to worry about.

/novel

Last edited by abushong504; 02-07-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Well…I think my motor blew on Friday night, so I’ve done a lot of thinking about this…

Is it worth it? Well, I’ve already dug myself in a hole this big (turbo kit and EMS) I might as well dig a little more (built motor) and see if make it out on the other end? lol
Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Well…I think my motor blew on Friday night, so I’ve done a lot of thinking about this…

Is it worth it? Well, I’ve already dug myself in a hole this big (turbo kit and EMS) I might as well dig a little more (built motor) and see if make it out on the other end? lol
Sorry to hear that... and at only 4psi, wow im lucky
Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by rh_334
Sorry to hear that... and at only 4psi, wow im lucky
Yeah…it literally blows

Ah well, I expected this to happen sooner or later (100k on the engine)…I was just hoping it wouldn’t happen till the end of the year and with a little more boost.

I’m still not 100% sure it’s blown though (pretty sure but I haven’t come to final verdict yet) car’s still full of oil, car’s not smoking at idle either, the only alarming thing is a loud tick coming from the engine. I was at WOT in 4th gear at the drag strip when the car hesitated around 5k rpm, I let off the throttle immediately and coasted to the finish line, everything was ok except for the ticking. I didn’t miss a gear, over rev, or anything.

Had it towed home just to be safe (thanks mrg1981!)

I’m probably going to take it sometime this week or next to a shop to get a second opinion.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Yeah…it literally blows

Ah well, I expected this to happen sooner or later (100k on the engine)…I was just hoping it wouldn’t happen till the end of the year and with a little more boost.
Im also at 100k+ miles
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say yes....but im probably one of the lucky ones as mine has been boosted one way or another for over 70,000 miles.The only problem ive had was a leaky oil feed line to one of the turbos....and i DD'd my car every year untill this last winter.I dont get on it as hard as some of the guys here but i do bust its ***** quite a bit.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rh_334
Im also at 100k+ miles
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedg
I would say yes....but im probably one of the lucky ones as mine has been boosted one way or another for over 70,000 miles.The only problem ive had was a leaky oil feed line to one of the turbos....and i DD'd my car every year untill this last winter.I dont get on it as hard as some of the guys here but i do bust its ***** quite a bit.
I have never seen you go WOT other than a few runs back in the day with your Stillen at the track.

You baby your car dont lie old man, I was with some G owners this weekend who went on that cruise with you a couple Sundays ago that said you were driving like a motherfawking b!tch.

When you wanna go catch up and get some ribs old man?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
thawk408

No it is not worth it all. If you want to go that route, buy a good used built one and save ALOT of money.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Sam Mcgoo

Depends how you look at it.

I've always loved the look of the 350 but would never buy one because they are just too slow in standard form and I found it underwhelming every time I drove one............until I drove a SC'd one.

To me FI'ing the zed is necessary not just worth it.

However, I did buy mine already done so didn't take such a hit as if I'd done it myself.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

I have never seen you go WOT other than a few runs back in the day with your Stillen at the track.

You baby your car dont lie old man, I was with some G owners this weekend who went on that cruise with you a couple Sundays ago that said you were driving like a motherfawking b!tch.

When you wanna go catch up and get some ribs old man?

Allright punk boy i was doing fine until they started doing well over a hundred in the DC traffic which was heavy.I like my cheap a$$ insurance and dont need to get caught and whenever you want to go for a ride in a boosted car and not blow up......call me. Oh and the ribs that sounds good as i wont get the pos sampler next time....ill let you know.....punk boy.

Last edited by superchargedg; 02-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So far I think it has been worth it. Definitely a lot of time / money. I'm sure I am no where as close to what some of these guys have spent yet, but I enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?