Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My 350Z experience! from beat to boosted!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 350Z experience! from beat to boosted!

So here it is after about 2 years of careless and sometimes careful planning, my car is finally done!

Im sure everyone's familiar with the Boosted Performance S/T kit, and you should all know who Hal & Ed are at Dynosty. Well this is my story, not really a build thread. More like my complete experience with the above mentioned vendors, my car & the relentless pursuit of completion...

Id say it all started in December 2008 when after smashing my 2003 350Z enthusiast into a wall I started the rebuild process.

Me and my cousin took the car to his garage where we had all our tools, got really lucky catching a deal on a 2005 35th anni. edition. with a salvage title.
And so the fun began.

After fitting all the parts and getting the suspension right the car sat in my front yard for about a year. I basically gave up!

Fast forward to April 2010 where I decided with the help and prodding of my gf Janice to finish the body and paint.So I took the car to my friend Fabian's body shop in Queens, Continental Collision where we decided on matte black.
Fabian was so set on this color that he didnt wanna hear anything else. I definitely loved the color but could it be done and done right? Well after 3 attempts and numerous products we finally found the perfect matte finish.

After a year and a half of being outta my Z it felt great to get it back on the road. That was July 3 2010, and basically I enjoyed it for the remainder of the summer. I took it out almost every day, met some really cool guys. Then the ideas of going further came into play.
My new Z friends who I talked to ever week at local meets were always talking about boosting their cars Volk wheels coilovers etc. etc.
So I jumped on a set of CE28 N's BC coilovers and the car was looking bad ***.
I was like man Ive come far enough and spent about as much money as I want to on this car. Well sooner than later the boost bug bit and I was sharing emails with a guy named Sasha from Canada. This guy quickly became my go to guy for knowledge, and it wasnt before long that I began my journey. I started by upgrading my clutch and flywheel to an ACT 6 puck sprung and JWT light weight flywheel. I had an idea of the power I was gonna make and knew that a stronger clutch was in order if I was going FI.

I then began speaking to a guy named Hal from Dynosty. Hal was super helpful clarifying many of my doubts and misconceptions about the boost game. In November 2010 I pulled the trigger on my BP single kit with a PTE 6262 .82a/r and a Haltech ems to keep things running smooth....
I was now officially excited that I was going forward with this whole project. Then in late December the snow up here hit and my car was a memory. Under about 4' of snow in my mothers back yard. No way I was doin anything to it for a while.
Fast forward to Superbowl weekend, where my good friends Graham (trynalivepro) and Eric(etz) offered their help to get the car finished. So on superbowl weekend we brought the car to Graham's shop and began the install.

Now I have to say the level of customer service that was provided by Sasha@BP was unbelievable. I called this guys house so many times his wife would just answer and say" Hey Ray how's it going?" like they knew me or I was part of the family!!! Then Sasha would get on the phone and answer any query I had. Now reason's for calling, simple Im a man who thinks he can do things without reading the instructions. Well everything I asked him was in the booklet he sent out with the kit.
Any mistakes or difficulty was due to my anxiety and wanting to get this thing finished. With a little help, the car was done!
Then I contacted Hal@Dynosty who shot over a base map, ofcoarse this was also at 11:30 pm on a Wednesday. Couldnt think of a better time to bother this guy. After a few hick-ups the car was up and running. Now I drove the car with that MAP from time to time because lets face it I had the bug and it was getting outta control. The car was running extremely rich due to the base map only supporting me for so much. Hal even set a boost limit so that I couldnt blow the motor and would make it safely to him. So next on the list was a proper tune. I contacted Hal and we set a date. March 12th, this past weekend. So me and my cuz hoped in the car and shot down to Lexington Kentucky. The car ran rough but I suppose that how a modified car should run. The smell of gas and fumes engulfed us as we back fired down the highway making numerous stops for fuel (3) to be exact. I reached Lexington, and crashed out at a local hotel.
Next morning we drove over to Dynosty and were greeted by these 2 young looking guys who introduced themselves as Hal and Ed. I was like wait I expected Hal to be this 45 year old red neck with no sense of humor who drives a diesel pick up and has no time for my jokes. Instead I couldnt of been proven more wrong. These guys were the coolest most knowledgeable helpful individuals that I have ever met that work on cars. Words cannot describe the experience with them.
After going over everything and doing his safety checks Hal began the tuning. Starting with driveability which he really puts time into. He must have done 50+ pulls before we broke for lunch.
After returning from lunch he began the power pulls and Id have to say it was like another 50+ pulls.<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hl0GYYNVmCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jF6gVrp-qX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The final results, 382hp/ 370ftlbs ON THE HEARTBREAKER

I couldnt be happier with the results, the car feels so tight and responsive. I used 3 tanks of fuel thats approx. 48 USGAL. to get there. After Hal got busy, the drive home took only 2 full tanks approx. 32 USGAL. I was in and out of the pedal of coarse. This is my stock block and I feel like its gonna last. Later this year after beating on the car I plan to upgrade. Ill be intouch with the boys at Dynosty and Ill also be calling Sasha for his input on my next BIG Turbo! I appreciate everything that every one has done for me. All the help I received, too many names to list but you all know who u are. The fellas in Lex. KY Ed thanks for callin me to come out to that meet, Abushong504 your car is sick. I got to feel 7xxhp and now im an addict!
Harold thanks for lunch! Ed thanks again for setting me straight on my preference of tittie bars. Ur right, we ended up at the club u reccommended and it was good cheap fun. Next time I come down we gotta all go out!

Thanks again guys.... I appreciate everything......

Last edited by 350zion; 03-14-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 AM
350zion
Professional

Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice story! congrats!

btw matte black is the $h!t!!!

Last edited by ashtrojan2008; 03-14-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 AM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zion
looks good man! cars come a long ways since that wall incident!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 AM
zmedic16

sweet.. enjoy it man!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM
BCs350z

looks good man! Congrats on the kit! Sasha is awesome when it comes to questions!!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you sir win. good work.... it's tough to stay positive, and you did!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 AM
can'tZme

Wow long way to go but well worth it!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Frosty87

Nice man its a shame I was supposed to be there to pick up my car the 12th ..damn shipping companies ...Congrats
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 AM
VQ35deMax

I saw your car and dyno sheet on the facebook of dynosty. Then found your thread here on the forums. It seems like it has been a long way coming with this project for you but it seems like it has payed off in the end.

BTW how many miles did you round up on the trip?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice, can't wait to see it this Spring/Summer. Gonna have to come cruise with Central Jersey guys.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by VQ35deMax
I saw your car and dyno sheet on the facebook of dynosty. Then found your thread here on the forums. It seems like it has been a long way coming with this project for you but it seems like it has payed off in the end.

BTW how many miles did you round up on the trip?
I believe it was something like 1400 total miles.... The ride back was bad ***...
Originally Posted by graffkid732
Nice, can't wait to see it this Spring/Summer. Gonna have to come cruise with Central Jersey guys.
U kno ima be out this season, enjoying the Z!

Thanks for the feed back fellas......

Last edited by 350zion; 03-14-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good story man, thats a lot of hard work, seems to have paid off. Keep enjoying the car man.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
350Z400rwhp

Great write up! At first I didn't like the matte but by the time I was done reading your story I now love it. Your car looks sick. Great numbers too.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM
ETZ

Go write up!......see you at my garage in a couple of weeks!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zion
I called this guys house so many times his wife would just answer and say" Hey Ray how's it going?"
I read this to my wife, she had a good laugh about it.

Glad that all worked out in the end, and I told you the trip to see Hal would be well worth it.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Car looks stealth. Nice work all!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Good job and enjoy that car this summer.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice write up... glad you didn't give up on the Z, look at it now... can't wait to get a ride in it. He said ABUSHONG504's car is so fast and pulls so hard it felt like the rear wanted to pass the front.....
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I enjoyed reading this thread, congrats on your new found power

Quick Reply: My 350Z experience! from beat to boosted!