Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha Ha it never ends!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 with the JWT700's you will most likely be alright with uprev. I'm running 530's (essentially) and it seems the quick spool is a big part of the issue not so much the overall HP. Sorry if I started a fire, didn't intend to.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also want to add -- make sure your tuner pays special attention to the calculated load values while tuning... for 6MT it doesn't matter but for 5AT doing it wrong or leaving it stock can cause your transmission to blow up in short order. It's documented in the uprev manual but often overlooked by tuners unfamiliar with the uprev software.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Also want to add -- make sure your tuner pays special attention to the calculated load values while tuning... for 6MT it doesn't matter but for 5AT doing it wrong or leaving it stock can cause your transmission to blow up in short order. It's documented in the uprev manual but often overlooked by tuners unfamiliar with the uprev software.
hes a very good tuner, flys around the country showing the new shops how to tune with uprev and also does tuning around the country with it, very close friends with rich from uprev from what ive gathered, he tuned my gt 28 twins on my HR no hicups at all ran amazing! he'll be tuning my 4.07 HR with the g28s here in a few weeks aswell . btw op i like your g i oogle it everytime i walk through the shop (:

Last edited by ace32x; 05-18-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Eno

Hey thanks ace! Feels like forever since I've seen it!

+1 on the comments about the tuner as well. No doubt he's on top of things.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Eno

Time for a weekly update. Unfortunately the block is still sitting at the shop waiting to be bored out slightly. That's taken longer than I think anyone predicted and it's just how it works in this industry I guess. I got an affirmative next week- and I know intec is trying to get it back so they can start preparing it for the rebuild.

I'm currently hung on a stupid presentation issue- red or black rad hoses. I know, I know. Anyway it's a work in progress. I'm leaning towards red for the sheer look of it... But I figure by the time they're done printing out Dyno sheets nobody is going to give a 4ck about rad hoses. It's all about the details though once the sharp end is honed.

Also moved on the 850cc dw Injectors and 300lph dw pump. I think they're either ordered or going to be in Short order. Fuel is definitely not going to be a problem here.

Tranny has been worked on over the last week. We found out late that the torque converter was an additional sum which kind of kicked us all in the guts- but regardless. That was done so the work on the tranny will be absolutely complete and all by the same shop (IPT). Any problems with the tranny- well, I know the number.

I haven't heard about the brakes but I'm sure they're in play somewhere. I'm hoping to go down there on the 18th of June to either visit for the weekend or just pick up outright. The latter may be optimistic but I know whether I pick up or just go down to learn it'll be a great opportunity. I plan on going down There regardless so perhaps we could get some of the regional boys together for a BBQ or something? Just throwing it out there- lol I suppose I should ask intec first. I'm buying!

Last edited by Eno; 05-28-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by itnkicn
Time for a weekly update. Unfortunately the block is still sitting at the shop waiting to be bored out slightly. That's taken longer than I think anyone predicted and it's just how it works in this industry I guess. I got an affirmative next week- and I know intec is trying to get it back so they can start preparing it for the rebuild.

I'm currently hung on a stupid presentation issue- red or black rad hoses. I know, I know. Anyway it's a work in progress. I'm leaning towards red for the sheer look of it... But I figure by the time they're done printing out Dyno sheets nobody is going to give a 4ck about rad hoses. It's all about the details though once the sharp end is honed.

Also moved on the 850cc dw Injectors and 300lph dw pump. I think they're either ordered or going to be in Short order. Fuel is definitely not going to be a problem here.

Tranny has been worked on over the last week. We found out late that the torque converter was an additional sum which kind of kicked us all in the guts- but regardless. That was done so the work on the tranny will be absolutely complete and all by the same shop (IPT). Any problems with the tranny- well, I know the number.

I haven't heard about the brakes but I'm sure they're in play somewhere. I'm hoping to go down there on the 18th of June to either visit for the weekend or just pick up outright. The latter may be optimistic but I know whether I pick up or just go down to learn it'll be a great opportunity. I plan on going down There regardless so perhaps we could get some of the regional boys together for a BBQ or something? Just throwing it out there- lol I suppose I should ask intec first. I'm buying!
i would be down but ima be outa town ):! they got my block sitting in there waiting to be bored and and new crank and such installed atm too
Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Eno

Another weekly update!

Well the block was finished at the machine shop last week. We found out what happened with the brakes- the deal we'd ordered the wilwoods under had expired and the distributor ostensibly didn't process it. And didn't tell anyone. Anyway we had a choice to make between stoptechs and wilwoods and stayed the course with wilwoods. They're inbound if not arrived.

Talked to IPT the other days and the guys there said my existing clutches inside the tranny were scorched a bit but not too bad. He asked me how the trans felt beforehand and I said it was fine and I didn't detect any slipping. He said- oh, it was slipping! Okay- guess I was slipping. He'd know better than I would. For those of you also running the transgo just be aware of the wear and tear that is inevitably happening inside that transmission.

Was a good transaction overall. They said a 3-5 day cycle time and that's what it was so kudos to IPT. The guy I talked to said they were good to about 6-650. I admit I'm not 100% sure how a horsepower figure translates into torque but I think it's safe to assume it will manage what I can throw at it at this point. I guess they use the same transmission on the Titans and they're reporting some pretty mad power tolerance with those. In his words "you've got a lot less load weight on it so it will handle that comfortably."

I don't think I'm going to get there just yet- but I've been learning about some other items of interest. One is the vertical intercooler design which I'm hearing can cool up to 4x the CFM of an equivalent sized horizontal. I'm not sure that's in the cards JUST yet but it's certainly something I wish I'd known a bit more about beforehand. It will probably be an upgrade for next year. I'd like to see how Dash makes out with his.

Also, the Quaife LSD got my undivided attention. I'm not planning on getting one put in at this point... Intec wisely advised that they not take it right from built to 500+ in one run and have recommended at 1000k shake out period. At that point I'd go back down to Seattle for a second tune. When I go down for the second tune I'll plan on having a Quaife waiting there for me... assuming they do that kind of thing. Sounds like a crucial addition to a build like this and for about 1500 bucks or so to purchase I think it's reasonable also.

Had some discussion about a new bumper as well at some point. My only hesitation is that the KZ is soooooooo done out there right now. While it is also a practical option for the IC I have (especially the Treadstone IC we're talking about over in Driver)... I know Gord mentioned the Top Secret bumper as well... which looks a lot like the KZ... but... different. The K2 I'm using now has some weird fittiment issues though I do like the way it looks with the exception of a bit of gap between the top of it and the hood.

I haven't heard from the shop in a bit but I'm expecting an update and some photos shortly.

Last edited by Eno; 06-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Eno

Okay... progress report and a question!

Block is at Intec, the tranny has arrived and apparently looks sharp though most of the modification to that is internal. Block looked really good but the machine shop was taking its time doing the bearings so Intec picked everything up and installed them on their own. Intec reports the crank movement is really smooth so everything from this point should be the same! Apparently 3 pistons are in and the others should be in shortly. I guess one of the oil squirters was damaged so they had to get another set and installed those yesterday or the day before. The remaining pistons should be in VERY soon and the head gasket and ARP head studs are there and ready to be installed.

The manifolds are being coated as per Gord's suggestion and should be back any time at which point everything will be ready to finish up. The boost controller, HPX MAF, radiator, hoses, slim fans... Everything is sitting there, just waiting for installation. There's some hesitation on the HFC issue and whether or not the original buyer is going to come through but there's another guy in mind as well who is interested. We'll see.

Question: Functional location for the Apexi AVC-R boost controller. Any thoughts on a solid location for it? Where did you install yours?
Attached Thumbnails G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_1204.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_1207.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_1209.jpg  

Last edited by Eno; 06-16-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not into the cup holder the AVCR would tuck away there, or cut the ashtray out and flush mount it there. It is also something you wont be messing wit lots so the compartment above the glove box so it is hidden
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Eno

Got a nice clean theme going on in there without too much glam. I'm starting to price out my 2nd and 3rd upgrade phases and I've got a really keen interest in that Cosworth plenum and I just stumbled into a Karuma Z in marketplace for 400 bucks plus shipping and some TLC / prime / paint. Then again, now I see brand new from CZ is 495 plus shipping. Maybe?

The Cosworth was a topic of discussion recently- can't remember if it was here or driver- and I did quite a bit of research on it. I wouldn't invest in it for an NA car but it certainly seems to shine in FI applications. I have to admit, I like the first version with the CF sides and I'm starting to see them in the marketplace but still sitting around 1500 bucks. Got some bills to pay before that happens.

I looked at the top secret bumper as well and quite frankly I'm starting to get a sense that I like the OEM grille as opposed to the mesh. We'll see... perhaps that's just a passing fancy but functionally I think there's something to be said about the KZ being the most functional bumper (alongside the TS bumper) for the IC I have with this kit.

Dash and Sasha both really got my attention with the vertical IC as well and I have my doubts that it'd fit behind the K2... Again... that's probably a phase 3 update I would consider next year / later this year with a Cosworth plenum addition and a touch up tune. I'd like to wear things in a bit before I really pour on the coal.

Phase 2 is the Qaife LSD and the monster tune once it gets broken in a bit. hNo sense having the polished plenum if I were to cover it all up. Got to show it off a bit!

I do like the other one though- I think I'll be investing in CF caps as well.I saw some nice applique CF "somewhere" and it got my attention. I'm still hovering on CF being a bit too trendy at this point but hey, I like what I like!

Get a nice clean theme going on in there without too much glam. I'm starting to price out my 2nd and 3rd upgrade phases and I've got a really keen interest in that Cosworth plenum and I just stumbled into a Karuma Z in marketplace for 400 bucks plus shipping and some TLC / prime / paint.

The Cosworth was a topic of discussion recently- can't remember if it was here or 350z and I did quite a bit of research on it. I wouldn't invest in it for an NA car but it certainly seems to shine in FI applications. I have to admit, I like the first version with the CF sides and I'm starting to see them in the marketplace but still sitting around 1500 bucks. Got some bills to pay before that happens.

I looked at the top secret bumper as well and quite frankly I'm starting to get a sense that I like the OEM grille as opposed to the mesh. We'll see... perhaps that's just a passing fancy but functionally I think you're right about the KZ being the most functional bumper (alongside the TS bumper) for the IC I have with this kit.

Dash and Sasha both really got my attention with the vertical IC as well and I have my doubts that it'd fit behind the K2... Again... that's probably a phase 3 update I would consider next year / later this year with a Cosworth plenum addition and a touch up tune. Phase 2 is the Qaife LSD and the monster tune once it gets broken in a bit. Hopefully July 1st-2nd!

Below G35 pics: (Left) Top Secret (Center) KarumaZ (Right) my K2
Attached Thumbnails G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_1232.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_1233.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-dsc00165.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_0871enhanced.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_0384.jpg  

Last edited by Eno; 06-20-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess my post didn't go through.

I'm interested to see how the IPT trans holds; TOOMNYMODS (from the titan scene) had a lot of problems with IPT. His tranny failed rather quickly (albeit in a much bigger heavier truck, it still didn't do the job that IPT claimed it would).
I'd rather hand my tranny over to gtm, because they actually give a rats a** about their customers, and they state that the tranny when built can handle 600whp without falter. With a 30% drivertrain loss that's 850ish crank hp. with 26% drivertrain loss (roughly the factory rated driver train loss) that's 715hp.
Subbing.
EDIT
Massive mathematics fail (for an aerospace engineer this is worse than nails on a chalk board).
600whp with 26% loss is 811hp. My apologies (although I know nobody really cares, I do )

Last edited by Resmarted; 06-23-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
...600whp without falter. With a 30% drivertrain loss that's 850ish crank hp. with 26% drivertrain loss (roughly the factory rated driver train loss) that's 715hp.
Subbing.
I think your abacus is off a little, or you might need to freshen up those calculator batteries.
By the way, I was debating with a buddy recently over whether it's a % loss or just a flat power loss. What is the consensus here? Actually, never mind. I don't want to thread jack.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
I think your abacus is off a little, or you might need to freshen up those calculator batteries.
By the way, I was debating with a buddy recently over whether it's a % loss or just a flat power loss. What is the consensus here? Actually, never mind. I don't want to thread jack.
I realized that and changed it right when you posted haha

Im fairly sure it's a not perfectly linear parasitic % loss. How much is actually really gray area.
Depends on the type of torque converter, how many vanes, transmission temperature etc.
The best way to actually tell is vehicle specific. Dyno stock, redyno with modified transmission and stock engine, and then again fully modded. Although this way still wouldn't give you the exact number because of the way torque converters/stall speed works. Harder you push a tc the higher the stall speed goes....
I'm no auto wiz, but it tends to get pretty complex.

Last edited by Resmarted; 06-23-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Eno

We are a sophisticated and wise breed... us AT characters. We have to keep you guessing- otherwise our cars would be no fun at all.

Resmarted... I had been cautioned about IPT as well by a forum member... may have actually been referring to the same guy you're talking about. Might have even been someone different. With that being said, I got some pretty good advice from RcDash as well (I think he's got a GTM built trans) and installation and "splicing" the trans with the rest of the cooling system is a major oversight. We'll make sure we have that well cooked before I go out and start beating down mustangs and challengers like baby seals.

I remain confident that the IPT will hold up well for my uses... then again- one needn't look too far to find a thread where my blind confidence in a shop that people in here were telling me to fire (Progressive) ended up costing me about 15 grand and counting. Oh wait... that's this one.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Resmarted

We are a sophisticated and wise breed... us AT characters. We have to keep you guessing- otherwise our cars would be no fun at all.

Resmarted... I had been cautioned about IPT as well by a forum member... may have actually been referring to the same guy you're talking about. Might have even been someone different. With that being said, I got some pretty good advice from RcDash as well (I think he's got a GTM built trans) and installation and "splicing" the trans with the rest of the cooling system is a major oversight. We'll make sure we have that well cooked before I go out and start beating down mustangs and challengers like baby seals.

I remain confident that the IPT will hold up well for my uses... then again- one needn't look too far to find a thread where my blind confidence in a shop that people in here were telling me to fire (Progressive) ended up costing me about 15 grand and counting. Oh wait... that's this one.
Sounds good!
Yeah, I'm going to run the absolute biggest tranny cooler I can find, a bigger oil pan, rebuild and valvebody. Then setup an oil temperature sensor in the oil pan and have a manually controlled radiator fan on the cooler. I agree its hard to really find out the limits of the re5, when the tranny cooler has never really been properly addressed.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Eno

You talking about something like this?

"Just put the temp sensor in line with the outgoing 3/8" hose coming OUT of the ATF cooler (this should be connected to the 5AT hard line that is closest to the DRIVER's side)." (From RCDash)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 AM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run this cooler and it seems to work well.
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Hi-...2-diameter-fan
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Eno

Eh guys. Well I was off the radar a bit over the past couple weeks. There were a few things going on but not too many pics were coming in for me to post- Thanks Wes for your feedback on the ATF cooler, btw.

The engine is back together again and the turbos are being mounted. Judging by these pics at least one is mounted- I know the whole thing is really starting to move now. A couple of little setbacks, but overall I think things are coming together at an expected rate. It's slow... it feels really slow to me but I get it: When I'm able to do this kind of work I'll be more critical- as it is right now... I just want them to do it right. BELIEVE me... I want them to do it right and not able to turn around and say to me "sorry your engine blew up but you were nagging us to get it done and this happened."

So- suffice to say... no nagging. Okay, well maybe a tiny bit of "is it in yet? Is it in yet?" but I'm doing my best. I know what it sounds like... suffice to say the anticipation is almost the same.

My HFCs sold and the test pipes should be there by now (I was told thursday) for when things are ready to finish off. Mike, their installation specialist, is in the groove and working hard on getting things done. This is reassuring to hear because from having watched him work and talked to him at length before when he gets into it... he's into it.

I noticed in a couple of the photos the Pathfinder cooling upgrade is on, and of course the polished TC looks great. I see ceramic coated manifolds onboard as well and the fuel system is finding its way on. If you're wondering what the box is in the one photo- it's the DW 850cc injectors... These will be amply fed by the DW300 lph pump and the RFS from Dustin. You guys all advised me not to skimp on fuel... I didn't skimp on fuel. Speaking of which- I still have Gord's 680 high impedence injectors... if anyone happens to be looking.

I just paid off some debts so now I'm on the prowl for the quaife and I have my sights on the 100 cell mil.spec cats that can be welded in further downstream on the exhaust. I want to see how bad the exhaust is first- I'm hearing different stories with different setups... like many things it seems to vary on a build to build basis.

Anyway- on to the photos. More coming soon! (I hope)
Attached Thumbnails G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_1670.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_1672.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_16311.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_16711.jpg   G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)-img_16751.jpg  

Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Resmarted

Eh guys. Well I was off the radar a bit over the past couple weeks. There were a few things going on but not too many pics were coming in for me to post- Thanks Wes for your feedback on the ATF cooler, btw.

The engine is back together again and the turbos are being mounted. Judging by these pics at least one is mounted- I know the whole thing is really starting to move now. A couple of little setbacks, but overall I think things are coming together at an expected rate. It's slow... it feels really slow to me but I get it: When I'm able to do this kind of work I'll be more critical- as it is right now... I just want them to do it right. BELIEVE me... I want them to do it right and not able to turn around and say to me "sorry your engine blew up but you were nagging us to get it done and this happened."

So- suffice to say... no nagging. Okay, well maybe a tiny bit of "is it in yet? Is it in yet?" but I'm doing my best. I know what it sounds like... suffice to say the anticipation is almost the same.

My HFCs sold and the test pipes should be there by now (I was told thursday) for when things are ready to finish off. Mike, their installation specialist, is in the groove and working hard on getting things done. This is reassuring to hear because from having watched him work and talked to him at length before when he gets into it... he's into it.

I noticed in a couple of the photos the Pathfinder cooling upgrade is on, and of course the polished TC looks great. I see ceramic coated manifolds onboard as well and the fuel system is finding its way on. If you're wondering what the box is in the one photo- it's the DW 850cc injectors... These will be amply fed by the DW300 lph pump and the RFS from Dustin. You guys all advised me not to skimp on fuel... I didn't skimp on fuel. Speaking of which- I still have Gord's 680 high impedence injectors... if anyone happens to be looking.

I just paid off some debts so now I'm on the prowl for the quaife and I have my sights on the 100 cell mil.spec cats that can be welded in further downstream on the exhaust. I want to see how bad the exhaust is first- I'm hearing different stories with different setups... like many things it seems to vary on a build to build basis.

Anyway- on to the photos. More coming soon! (I hope)
IMO you shouldn't have to nag a shop, and they should keep you updated. At least that's what I would expect. And how quickly they do assembly shouldn't affect their end product, if it does then you got a bad shop! "Oh well we just stuck it together because you wanted it, we don't care about build quality and will do whatever to make a buck" (At the same time we have to be reasonable with the time it does take to do it right, shouldn't take months to build 1 motor)
As for the cats, I'd just skip it, there's no way you will pass any smog stuff anyway, and if a cop pulls you over and checks under the car he's going to notice turbo's regardless of cats. If its for sound/smell (personal pref) that's a different story, but even then, you can make a setup very quiet without them (potentially cheaper, and likely more power). The way cats work make them needed to be close to the turbo's (for proper heating/energy to induce the ignition of voc's). Although at the same time, a honeycomb shape actually smooths out airflow (at the cost of slowing the velocity of the gas usually). So it could potentially give a sweeter smoother sound to your car.

You can say I've been very specifically researching exhaust theories...

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-10-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: G35C AT / JWT 700BB Take Two... (Noob Friendly)