Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 AM
sintil8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Upgrade

Hi Guys,

I am currently running a Turbonetics 60-1 and thinking of upgrading to a Garrett GT 35.

Was wondering if this will yield better hp and what is the max psi I can push this turbo to without breaking the engine.

I have a built up bottom end. (forged piston and rods)
Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sintil8
Hi Guys,

I am currently running a Turbonetics 60-1 and thinking of upgrading to a Garrett GT 35.

Was wondering if this will yield better hp and what is the max psi I can push this turbo to without breaking the engine.

I have a built up bottom end. (forged piston and rods)

I am sure that most will agree that the kit you have is a bad start, however,
if you really want to utilize the built block, get a true T4 turbo. I prefer the Precision line of turbos, as they have proven themselves reliable. You should also look at getting a larger down pipe (3") and a larger FMIC.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default turbo kit

i have the same kit on my 04' Z, stock bottom end, running about 8psi, dynoed 386rwhp, i love the kit its bad ***, if u have built bottom end, you could boost way more than that, i wouldnt worry. turbonetics kit is very good.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 AM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Turbonetics is a decent stock block kit. When I go to build my engine I am going to sell it and buy a better kit. I have had to have the 60-1 rebuilt because the seals were going bad, my wastegate pipe broke into two pieces, and the mounting tabs broke off the up pipe leaving two holes for exhaust to escape before spooling the turbo. All of those issues are very common problems with the turbonetics kits.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by taywan
i have the same kit on my 04' Z, stock bottom end, running about 8psi, dynoed 386rwhp, i love the kit its bad ***, if u have built bottom end, you could boost way more than that, i wouldnt worry. turbonetics kit is very good.
No, you can not "boost way more than that" because the turbine is too small, and will not flow enought to make a decent amoun of power (500whp) depending on dyno. I think TN uses a T3 .77 a/r turbine. What goes in (compressor side), must come out thorugh the turbine.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 07-23-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Mkriebs

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I am sure that most will agree that the kit you have is a bad start, however,
if you really want to utilize the built block, get a true T4 turbo. I prefer the Precision line of turbos, as they have proven themselves reliable. You should also look at getting a larger down pipe (3") and a larger FMIC.
How is it a bad start?? Just the turbo or what?

Not sure how the manifolds look, but seems like those would be good enough with a T4 flange, and a bigger DP wouldn't they?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 PM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have t4 t66 on my turbonetics kit. I bought it that way. The up pipe and down pipe need to be modified.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Mkriebs

Originally Posted by JS04
I have t4 t66 on my turbonetics kit. I bought it that way. The up pipe and down pipe need to be modified.
Yeah, my plan is to run a 35R or similarly sized turbo on the TN up pipe. Would end up being a custom DP and new Wastegate with an open dump... just wanna know if the TN up pipe is at least sufficient for higher HP.

Sorry for the newb questions, just got the car with the TN kit on it... it was the right deal at the right time, even though its not the best kit out there.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:44 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
No, you can not "boost way more than that" because the turbine is too small, and will not flow enought to make a decent amoun of power (500whp) depending on dyno. I think TN uses a T3 .77 a/r turbine. What goes in (compressor side), must come out thorugh the turbine.
100% agree, and not too mention the massive heat issues the turbonetics kits have because of their placement.

The top decent stock block kits right now are the power lab and the momentum hands down... Both using great parts, momentums kit was on display at Zdayz as well, and it is apparrent that there is no comparison between that and the turbonetics. It's all about flowing volume in and out, and the turbonetics is good to about 400ish.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM
taywan

so..turbonetic kits are not as good as talked about then?? t60-1?? what turbo is recommended then?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM
taywan

thought the t60-1 is rated up to 650hp??
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The piping and design of the kit is restrictive.

You can put a larger turbo on as many have done and then go make 475 whp on a built motor.

Or you can be like Tuarran, upgrade the snail, redo most of the piping and still have a weaksauce fawking car.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ha thats way before the join date of almost everyone in this thread

which pipes were too small on the TN?

PL, etc use like a 2.25" crossover, smaller than 3" intake, like 2.5" or smaller up-pipe. T3 flange.

All that is seems pretty small as well compared to other single turbo I6/V6 cars (GN, supra, etc)

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-26-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^ha thats way before the join date of almost everyone in this thread

which pipes were too small on the TN?

PL, etc use like a 2.25" crossover, smaller than 3" intake, like 2.5" or smaller up-pipe. T3 flange.
I pmed Taurran a bunch when I was going F/I. He always talked about the the up pipe and downpipe being the main restrictions. I lucked out and bought a kit that already had those two things modified. Thats the ONLY way I would look into a TN kit with a bigger turbo. Even with those modifications mid 500hp is the max I would go. To the OP, how much power do you want. If you are just looking at upper 400s to 500hp and get the up pipe and downpipe modified for cheap then go for it. If not then I would advise against upgrading and go with a different kit.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TN didnt use a 3" downpipe? realistically, we need a 4" downpipe. There is no reason why our single turbo kits should be smaller piping and turbo wise than a smaller displacement supra.

Supra kits are T4/T6 flanges with 4-5" downpipes. That's why the boosted performance kit should really be #1 on ppl's single turbo lists. That or STS with an equally as large turbo.

Powerlab and momentum style kits will always have restrictions power wise due to location of the turbo. You just cant shove big enough piping in there without a custom low profile manifold.

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-26-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Mkriebs

Originally Posted by JS04
I pmed Taurran a bunch when I was going F/I. He always talked about the the up pipe and downpipe being the main restrictions. I lucked out and bought a kit that already had those two things modified. Thats the ONLY way I would look into a TN kit with a bigger turbo. Even with those modifications mid 500hp is the max I would go. To the OP, how much power do you want. If you are just looking at upper 400s to 500hp and get the up pipe and downpipe modified for cheap then go for it. If not then I would advise against upgrading and go with a different kit.
Why would you still not surpass 500? I have the modifications all mapped out in my head, and am still a little unsure of the whole deal, especially with how you all have been talking in here... I realize that heat is a big issue on these kits, and I will address that as much as possible.

Plans so far are:
- Precision 6265.
- Tial 44mm external WG with open dump.
- Larger than 3" dia downpipe.
- Reweld any weak/cracked welds.
- 3.5" intake if I can make it fit.
- Heat wrap the charge piping.
- Turbo blanket on the turbo.

I have yet to be under the car (its my buddy's) to see the up pipe, maybe it will be painfully obvious when I get under it. We would like to push about 600whp on the race tune (< 450 street whp).
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

600whp using the TN as a base kit?

Keep dreaming....
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Mkriebs

The illiteracy rate on this forum is absolutely astounding.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

You can change all the pipes you want, and the turbo. It has been done, with marginal success given the time and $$$$ put in.

You are still limited by space and design.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Mkriebs

Originally Posted by Alberto
You can change all the pipes you want, and the turbo. It has been done, with marginal success given the time and $$$$ put in.

You are still limited by space and design.
Thanks for finally clarifying. What do you suggest we do then? Which kit should I keep an eye out for?

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade