Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Starting to tear down for a part out tomorrow....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cass007
Jeff - Gord's G is a mutant and runs on some crazy Canadian Voodoo... I'm pretty sure he has to sacrifice small animals to keep it running at the power level he's at on the stock block.

Dying baby seal tears fuel my car.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ would be interesting to see a teardown when you move on. wonder i those rods look like limp dicks by now.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:17 AM
cc1012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NSX's are awesome.

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/NSX/

with the headlight conversion and twins they are awesome.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
Canadian Voodoo and small animals shipped to 11413. pleeeease.

edit:

Cass, I like the new sig
... Rich, Gord and Alberto can join the club too. Jason as well... and many others I am afraid
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Eno

Canadian Voodoo and small animals shipped to 11413. pleeeease.
Possibly the funniest line I've ever read in this forum. Nice!!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so, since jason (blackbird) lives somewhat close to me in indiana i'm pondering snatching that build block up and using it. I hate dropping more cash into this car but these last few days i've thought about getting rid of the car to buy another and it makes me sick to my stomach.

If my car would just vanish and the nsx go into my garage i'd be down for it, but the process of selling and buying another car is just horrible. I hated trying to find my car when i purchased it 6 years ago.

I'm going to decide by the weekend and if i snag the engine then i'll be parting all the new stuff from my current built block.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by Cass007
... Rich, Gord and Alberto can join the club too. Jason as well... and many others I am afraid
For the record I never blew up an engine , my car was just cursed by electrical demons
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder if your experience could lend itself as evidence to something i always thought didnt seem like the best idea... putting that much torque on the stock aluminum head stud threads with the l19 studs?

i never liked the idea of it, i went with half inch studs myself. i felt a lot better torquing those to around 100lb with the greater bite in the block.

so many guys have used the L19 at high torque... i was just lately coming around to the idea of them. but now i might go back to being hesitant about recommending them. perhaps they hold up pretty long term when left undisturbed, but not so much after more than 1 torque cycle?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM
binder

Originally Posted by phunk
i wonder if your experience could lend itself as evidence to something i always thought didnt seem like the best idea... putting that much torque on the stock aluminum head stud threads with the l19 studs?

i never liked the idea of it, i went with half inch studs myself. i felt a lot better torquing those to around 100lb with the greater bite in the block.

so many guys have used the L19 at high torque... i was just lately coming around to the idea of them. but now i might go back to being hesitant about recommending them. perhaps they hold up pretty long term when left undisturbed, but not so much after more than 1 torque cycle?
A couple of things went wrong with these charles. The original machinist didn't use any type of antiseize on the threads going into the aluminum. Steel into aluminum is a recipe for disaster over a prolonged period. The machinist also torqued the studs into the block. They are supposed to be lightly tightened and the torque goes on the nut when putting the head on.

When i removed them some of the head studs would not come out at all so i had to use a breaker bar to get them out. They were definitely seized into the block hardcore. No way around it though because i had to get them out to have the block machined. These studs have been in for almost 3 years now.

I'm scared as hell to re-torque in the new block i have coming. I might do 85ftlbs. I'm pretty sure i only used 90ftlbs on them last time i had to remove the heads to do a gasket change.

charles, i need a paypal and list of all the junk i need to buy for these new rails. I think you said i have to buy some parts directly from nissan or something? can you please pm me with a list and a total price all in 1 so i can just pay for it and have it done with. Thanks!

Jeff
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
binder

charles, just as an FYI the new threads i cut in the block for the helicoil were 1/2" threads and they pulled out also. This is why i can't have it machined for 1/2" studs now.

I'm pretty sure the head bolts being seized in the block damaged it pretty good.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^ would be interesting to see a teardown when you move on. wonder i those rods look like limp dicks by now.
I am sure they have a nice bow to them, i bet it lowers my compression though if my 3.8L works this time I might tear it down just to see
Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Andrei

Originally Posted by binder
A couple of things went wrong with these charles. The original machinist didn't use any type of antiseize on the threads going into the aluminum. Steel into aluminum is a recipe for disaster over a prolonged period. The machinist also torqued the studs into the block. They are supposed to be lightly tightened and the torque goes on the nut when putting the head on.

When i removed them some of the head studs would not come out at all so i had to use a breaker bar to get them out. They were definitely seized into the block hardcore. No way around it though because i had to get them out to have the block machined. These studs have been in for almost 3 years now.

I'm scared as hell to re-torque in the new block i have coming. I might do 85ftlbs. I'm pretty sure i only used 90ftlbs on them last time i had to remove the heads to do a gasket change.

charles, i need a paypal and list of all the junk i need to buy for these new rails. I think you said i have to buy some parts directly from nissan or something? can you please pm me with a list and a total price all in 1 so i can just pay for it and have it done with. Thanks!

Jeff
Aren't you suppose to use moly grease or 30w oil on the threads of the head studs? I'm really sorry, but assembly errors are not the fault of the VQ. And actually the cast aluminum I found to be very strong, especially the heads, except US made VQs which seems softer.

Last edited by Andrei; 07-26-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by phunk

I torqued them down and took them off about three times without any problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Andrei
Aren't you suppose to use moly grease or 30w oil on the threads of the head studs? I'm really sorry, but assembly errors are not the fault of the VQ. And actually the cast aluminum I found to be very strong, especially the heads, except US made VQs which seems softer.
you use molybdenum on theads for the nuts, not the threads that go into the block.

whenever you mix aluminum and steel with fasteners they will seize together if an antiseize component isn't used.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 AM
binder

I torqued them down and took them off about three times without any problem.
That's quite a bit different than torquing them and running the engine for years with it heatind and cooling and the forces the combustion chamber puts on it.

There is quite a bit more force on those studs when the engine is firing due to combustion forces compared to when it's just sitting torqued down. That i think has a big impact.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
midz350

I drove the car every time between those three times.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
ace32x

didnt you drive it less than 1,000 miles tho total?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

sounds like someone didnt install the l19's in correctly
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM
midz350

Originally Posted by ace32x
didnt you drive it less than 1,000 miles tho total?
No, around 4k mile.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM
binder

ic, well, i'm not really on board with the "cycling" being an issue with metal fatigue. I guess it could happen but you would have to cycle them a lot so i'm not really going to worry about it.

Originally Posted by Jtran Studios
sounds like someone didnt install the l19's in correctly
Exactly, **** part is that since they were put in 2 years ago there is no way the shop is going to take credit for screwing them up so it all falls on me.

Quick Reply: Starting to tear down for a part out tomorrow....