Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

greddy tuner turbo kit (20g) question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What injectors do you plan to use? If 600cc or smaller you could get away with the Uprev reflash package. If larger, I would definitely recommend the Haltech package. Also the Haltech package will grow with you if you decide to turn it up more in the future.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
What injectors do you plan to use? If 600cc or smaller you could get away with the Uprev reflash package. If larger, I would definitely recommend the Haltech package. Also the Haltech package will grow with you if you decide to turn it up more in the future.
So you would not reccomend Osiris with 850's? Why?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
So you would not reccomend Osiris with 850's? Why?
The further you get from stock size injectors the more difficult it is to make everything run properly on the reflashed stock computer. You can make 850s run, or 1000s run... but not like stock which the Haltech is capable of.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the 850 / Uprev combination- but I'm certainly in no position to try and negotiate accuracy of Hal's claim... he knows WAY more than I do.

With that being said- keep your eye on my thread with the G35TT (Take two) project going on right now. I'm not sure if the incoming information will be timely enough for your needs but the pro tuner doing my tuning work out of the Seattle area hasn't ever whispered any concern about the 850s with the Uprev.

Though- now that I'm going on about it... hot starting often does require a little throttle but it was something described as more to do with the DW injectors... in thinking about it perhaps this is the kind of "not stock" performance that Hal is talking about? I do know it's an issue a few of the guys are dealing with but only the hot starts... once things are going everything is good again.

So what about it Hal- this the kind of thing you're talking about?

Originally Posted by Alberto
Save the money, do the E-manage, just make sure to add NOS octane booster for the timing issue. No worries, cheap, fast and reliable
Note to self:

Get sarcasm meter recalibrated. Until then read EVERYTHING at least twice!

Last edited by Eno; 08-05-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
08NismoZ

I can personally attest to how crappy the Greddy oil lines are, if one starts leaking you're screwed becuase Greddy themselves don't even have replacement lines.

If you go with a haltech you have an 07-08 350Z you'll also have to buy a custom made patch harness which aren't cheap, but with a Haltech you don't need a boost controller because it has the ability to do it internally. You don't need all those gauges either unless you're running on a track and need to monitor oil temp. I would go with a new clutch and the ZSpeed HD CSC if you have an HR motor also. I ran my stock clutch for the first year and by the end of the summer it could barely hold just trying to ease into the gas pedal. List what you've bought besides the TT kit.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:47 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Save the money, do the E-manage, just make sure to add NOS octane booster for the timing issue. No worries, cheap, fast and reliable
Bert are you drunk
Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

You need an EMS. Otherwise how do you plan to compensate for the larger injectors?

You do know you need to purchase injectors with a tuner kit...right?
The car would run like sh*t and would still probably pop. Even 440cc injectors that haven't been scaled would f*ck sh*t up. Remember that we don't have a return system from the factory... not a good idea

OP whatever you do, DONT drive with boost.
LOL get a better shop
and Tuner Kit, that means it doesn't come with efi.

and go for a haltech;
1) customer support
2) maf vs map (op go look it up)
3) if osiris was T3H SH*T that it was played out to be, why would everyone spend so much on haltech, vipec etc? I mean its $700 bucks vs $2000+. If they were even close in drive ability departments AND high hp support, nobody would pay that much.
4) shops like dynosty exist; proven, reliable, and cooperative. That is ultimately the biggest factor.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
The car would run like sh*t and would still probably pop. Even 440cc injectors that haven't been scaled would f*ck sh*t up. Remember that we don't have a return system from the factory... not a good idea

DE/HR guys running anywhere from 400whp to 530whp do fine WITHOUT return fuel system. With stock block, I wouldn't get one.

OP whatever you do, DONT drive with boost.
LOL get a better shop
and Tuner Kit, that means it doesn't come with efi.

and go for a haltech;
1) customer support

I agree with this, Hal is the $hit , Haltech Aus meh.

2) maf vs map (op go look it up)

MAF tuning > MAP tuning.

3) if osiris was T3H SH*T that it was played out to be, why would everyone spend so much on haltech, vipec etc? I mean its $700 bucks vs $2000+. If they were even close in drive ability departments AND high hp support, nobody would pay that much.

UpRev Osiris with 600cc and smaller injectors WILL start and drive just like stock. What else better than stock.

4) shops like dynosty exist; proven, reliable, and cooperative. That is ultimately the biggest factor.

what the **** this has to do with anything in this thread? (no disrespect Hal)

No disrespect Resmarted.

OP, This is a short list that I would get (if I were you) for a stock block build:

1-Already got the Greddy TT kit.

2- 550cc-600cc injectors (DW injectors is a drop in and a great choice)

3-A Walbro 255lph fuel pump (DW 300lph is ~$60 more but its way way more quieter.)

4-UpRev Osiris custom tune by a UpRev pro dealer.

5-Boost and AFR gauges.

6-What ever exhaust you like.

7- 0.5bar springs. (I think the Greddy kit comes with 0.4 springs)

Last edited by midz350; 08-06-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 PM
drdave2387

Haltech, problem solved for ever!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Resmarted, what did my post have to do with any of that? Mis-quote?

Originally Posted by midz350
OP, This is a short list that I would get (if I were you) for a stock block build:

3-A Walbro 255lph fuel pump (DW 300lph is ~$60 more but its way way more quieter.)

5-Boost and AFR gauges.

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Resmarted

Resmarted, what did my post have to do with any of that? Mis-quote?

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing.
I bunch my quote reply and general message to op in one post. the new paragraph usually means just that I seperate the ideas

@mid, im sorry but map destroys maf. It is simply foolish to think otherwise, unless you are looking at bolt ons. 600cc's drive alright but that is about maximum from what I have heard (from boosted z guys). Scaling can quickly become an issue, and even uprev has said that 850's run like sh*t and don't have good drive ability. Believe what you want.
next mid, YES people have run the power without a return, but that's not my point. Without a return you can't adjust the fuel pressure, therefore you can't compensate for 440cc injectors on stock maps. I was just saying that the computer can't deal with them (without a reflash; specifically its not a bolt in and go affair) and we don't have fuel pressure control. Therefore the car will probably barely run (if you can even get it to hold idle) and then once you hit boost you will pop. That is if somehow the latency of the injectors vs stock line up in some way proportional between flow and your target a/f...
Long story short, Boost+No EFI solution+OEM ecu+bigger injectors=
I can't believe I just had a post about maf vs map and that you shouldn't just slap injectors into a stock ecu car.

Edit:
Op if you paid extra for 20g it would be foolish not to plan for a built motor down the road. All my opinions are somewhat related to the fact that you SHOULD go built (based of the turbochargers efficiency area hp output). Therefore you should forget the osiris and get a real ecu that uses map (again read up on it for yourself), buy a real pump setup (not one that you have to pull out) OR prepare for an external sump, buy some injectors for your end power goal (decide whether or not e85) and start saving $. Yes, you could do what mid said, and save some money, but you will loose money later when you realize that stuff won't cut it and you have to buy the right stuff anyway.
my 2c, and some lessons learned from my build and friend's builds (not even z chassis).

Last edited by Resmarted; 08-07-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added list
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

OP, I am not sure what shop you are dealing with, but it sounds like you need to find a new one. I would suggest LightSpeed in Red Deer, as they have done many VQ35 FI installs. Recently, one of my customers went down there for a tune and made 456whp with Uprev and a Stage I BP turbo kit running 9psi of boost. Experience will go a long way when it comes to choosing a tuner for this platform. They (Cam) have also tuned the Haltech on a number of TT VQ35 cars.

I am in Edmonton but don't think I would let anybody here tune my car, so I do all the tuning myself via Haltech. It really is great EMS, from a performance perspective and end user tunability.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 08-07-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM
350zpearl

Originally Posted by midz350

5-Boost and AFR gauges.

so far i have 1,2,3,5,6.. and i've decided to go with haltech..

i was eager to have this all done before the summer ends, but i decided not to rush it and keep learning more and more about this tt kit (on what not to do's or upgrades) I wanna do this perfect, and will be posting updates along the way. I'm glad i made this thread and learned so much, or it would've been a scary nigthmare for me and myZ. Thanks again guys for all your inputs and knowledge

Last edited by 350zpearl; 08-07-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
08NismoZ

remember get rid of those greddy oil lines and have normal ones made!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
350zpearl

yes! got the oil line in order from forged.

@boostedperformance...
i heard lightspeed is the best in alberta as far as install and tuning, however i live in calgary so it might be to much drive or hauling if i need to get stuff done down the road. i'm planning to go Calgary autoworks, or if you would recommend anyone here in calgary OR maybe you wanna do the install instead lol? thanks for your input again!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zpearl
...i live in calgary so it might be to much drive...
It's less than a two hour drive if you stay off the "Crown Royal Hwy" and keep it out of boost-range rpm's. It's not like it's in another country. Everyone seems to rave about the place, too.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 PM
IslandZavage

take a look at the ProEFI... Dynosty is a authorized Dealer/Tuner.. more options/safety features than the Haltec... not sure what it costs now though (got mine on a crazy good sale). options/features on it are amazing... either way you cant go wrong between the two.. Def better than Osiris/Uprev... They cost more than Osiris/Uprev for obvious reasons (not knocking them)....

Last edited by IslandZavage; 08-08-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Eno

LSI is definitely one of if not the most prominent shop in Alberta. BPs blessing holds a pretty substantial volume around as well. I am from Alberta and had some downstream mods done by lsi. Also almost had them install my turbo after also almost buying the BP kit... Timing was a bit off however and I got impatient and wanted twins.

My residence is in okotoks though I'm currently living in Vancouver. I stomped around Calgary for awhile and I'm not 100% sure you'll find anyone in Calgary capable of doing that kind of work the way lsi does. There's a pretty big network of guys in Calgary on driver and I don't think they ever mentioned anyone in Calgary. Most recommend lsi.

I'm sure theyre not the cheapest show in town... But good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good.

Oh and also... Where is all this information about the 850s driving like ****? I've been on the 850 route for 4 months and this is the first ive heard of it.

Last edited by Eno; 08-08-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Oh and also... Where is all this information about the 850s driving like ****? I've been on the 850 route for 4 months and this is the first ive heard of it.
Well Uprev did claim that they could scale up to 1000cc and run. 3 other uprev tuners I called (random z shops) in california (who would be most likely to to tune the car) claimed they wouldn't be able to tune 850's to run smooth. And I got 1200cc injectors... But i guess for low to mid power levels it's fine.
If it works for you, cool. But, there's a good reason why there are many fast street cars that run haltech. And im jealous of pro efi owners lol.
Does uprev support wideband o2's?

Last edited by Resmarted; 08-09-2011 at 01:22 AM.