Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Shootout clarification thread, and the "octane boost" speculation comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:53 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Shootout clarification thread, and the "octane boost" speculation comments

Some seem to have missed some posts as to what occured and what I commented on. I was taking my info from another post, not maiking it up. Eithert that or they are not reading all the threads.

Jesse,

Read the whole thing in context. This guy says he was there and that the ATI driver only drove his car and not the others. Now as an ATI owner I hope they win, who wants to be running the slower product? Not a speed fiend like me. I just want it clear that the ATI VP sent emails to a board member claiming "ATI won." I didn't claim it and as far as I can read no one did, except ATI!

So whether or not the 13.1 is included in the review or not is irrelevent at this point. My poin, being overlooked is that one Manafacturer claimed "they one" and an independant witness says their car added octane boost. Did the other two cars add it is all I am saying. I want a fair review, and guess what, I paid for the reviewl IN ADVANCE!

So read below and draw your own conclusions it is the post intact unedited you quote from.

And this is your response.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

Me

Originally posted by 12SecZ
The story goes like this, all cars did within 13.4-13.6 then the ATI Tech guy drove the ATI car and did a 13.1 so they think they "won."

All I am saying is that he should have drove all 3 cars to be fair not just the ATI car because he added in another variable, the driver. A BIG variable in fact. Also a witness says he used Octane Booster.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse

That wasn't what I read. What I read is that the Sport Z Magazine driver, couldn't pull any good times with any of the SC'd Z's 13.4-13.6

So, the actual owner of the ATI procharged car decided to take a run for fun in his Z and pulled a 13.1

I doubt the 13.1 will be included as part of the "official results" in the article because it was done with a different driver. The purpose of it being brought up was that the SC'd cars could pull good times, just not with the Sport Z Magazine driver.

The Post inquestion we both quote from;

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....4&pagenumber=2

I was there for the autocross and the 1/4 mile stuff. It certainly isn't against the rules for me to say what I observed. If Sport Z magazine wanted data taken in secrecy, they could rent out a track for the day like the big magazines do.

I have some observations, not as detailed as you might like, but if you don't like it... skip to the next post. Autocross event was not very telling, almost a wash. I think Procharger busted out the lowest time, but ate four cones in the process. As others speculated, a curvy autocross makes for most of the cars to perform evenly.

1/4 mile, all three did 13.4 to 13.6 (this is hearsay, ie. me asking other people there what times people were busting out) while using one common driver for all cars. Stock Z's did 14.3 and 14.4. at 97 or 98MPH. Then the guy who brought the Z with the Procharger decided to drive one himself and busted out a 13.1. I don't know the trap speed. He did mention that he put a can of octane boost in the car. Don't know if the other cars had the same, or if it made any difference. 1/4 mile stuff was rushed since it was at the end of the day and cars didn't have a chance to cool down between runs. The bling bling 19" rims were hurting the 1/4 mile a little for sure. All the supercharged Z's had 19" rims.

I'm sure the magazine will have a more comprehensive and scientific analysis for the hard to please types

And Gary K's

Guys, if they did run octane booster, guess what...it generally does not increase hp. Using higher octane fuel without tuning to take advantage of it will decrease hp if anything. So if they did "cheat", it was certainly not to increase the hp.

It is possible that running higher octane could show an increase in hp in a situation where the engine is constantly running in a knock condition and pulling lots of timing. The octane would reduce or eliminate the knock and allow it to run properly with more timing, possibly increasing the performance. But, I don't think this is the situation because the stock ecu doesn't do the best job of keeping these engines alive when you have severe knock. If this car was having those issues, the engine would have likely been toast anyway.

I don't blame them for running it if they did. Why take a chance, any time you know you're going to be beating on your f/i car, its a good idea to run higher octane. It's like having a little more of a safety zone to run in. And if the car was tuned for 93 octane but had only 91 available, then they really didn't have a choice.

========================

Me again,

This is what I mean by the Devil's Advocate second guessing stuff getting out of hand. I wasn't there but if one car ran Octane Booster then all 3 should run Octane Booster, if one guy got a faster time by driving then he should have drove all 3. Otherwise it isn't very fair and for ATI to then say they came here and "won" makes itt even more unfair.

If you disagree then I give up because it is really starting to look like some here have blinders on no matter what is posted in front of them and it is turning out (more than once now) that if carefully reviewed, what they are saying lately is wrong.

Nothing personal just clearing all this mess up as to what was said since it is getting ugly.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:05 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gee, enough threads on this damn topic.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:18 PM
12SecZ

lol,

Someone accused me of making up the octane booster thing and another guy is getting called names in PM's.

So my last post on the topic.

I am trying to get your driveline thread going I think it's good but no one is playing!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:18 PM
jesseenglish

You created a whole new thread to discuss this?? You really have way too much time on your hands. No one called you a liar as far as I read. I don't know what went on there, and really I don't honestly care.

I'll find out what happened when the magazine comes out.