Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

thatv35guy’s PowerLab ProEFI Motor Build, Pic Intensive

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up thatv35guy’s PowerLab ProEFI Motor Build, Pic Intensive

I haven’t posted up my VQ resurgence on any Z/G site yet, so without further ado…

For those of you that did not know, my stock motor went kaput this past February at Firebird Raceway in Chandler, AZ… it was my third pass down the track that night, between the 3rd to 4th gear shift my motor emitted an disturbing sound and I instantly knew my engine was down. Also at the track with me was my brother (speed sniper) and mrg1981… mrg1981 helped tow my car back to the garage where the car waited for several months…

During that down time I started planning my build, my priority was to get the car back on the road, so I really wasn’t too concerned with making a staggering amount of horsepower, I just wanted my car back together with a bit more power for my troubles. So, I opted for a fairly conservative build… I picked up a blown short block to use as a core, then in June 2011, I contacted Pete at Intense Power in Gilbert, AZ; Pete ordered my aftermarket motor parts, including Wiseco 8.8:1 96mm pistons, Brian Crower rods, and ARP main studs. Thereafter, I ordered all the OEM parts needed for my build, rev-up oil pump, engine gasket kit, HR Z head gaskets, HR Z head bolts, water pump, and a new upper Oil Pan. The HR head bolts probably stand out… I opted to try them out as I saw some fairly positive reviews on them, especially at the horsepower levels I was aiming for.

Anyways, here’s my photo log!

Parts!

G35 Birthday Cake!

Pictures before the motor failure…

Engine back from machining:

Assembly:

Built motor installation:

Meanwhile, at ProEFI:

Dyno!

The numbers were pretty much what I was expecting… Right now I do not have any sort of return fuel system, my entire fuel system consists of a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump and Deatschwerks 600cc Injectors. On 14 PSI my injectors were at 85% so I settled on that power level for the time being. I’ll probably make a few changes to setup in the next few months too, bigger injectors, Aeromotive 340LPH pump, return fuel system, and larger exhaust housing, etc. and shoot for around 500+ on pump.

Finally back at the local meets!

And now, the car’s getting ready to head back down to Intense for an authentic Kuruma Z front bumper paint and install.

I’ve got a lot more info to write up; I’ll be working on finishing the updates later this week!

But before I go I have to thank a few people for helping me with my build…

Big thanks to my brother Shar (speedsniper) for helping with EVERYTHING!

A big hand for all the folks at Intense (Han, Pete, Tyler, Tim, Oliver, and JT), they supplied all the parts and machined and assembled the engine. I highly recommend them!

Last and certainly not least, I have to give a big thanks to Jason and Adam at ProEFI! They did a great job tuning my car again! They do phenomenal work here, the ProEFI system is top notch!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
thatv35guy

Reserved…
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
thatv35guy

Reserved for future update…
Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
deanfootlong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent power for your mods. excited to see what happens when you put larger injectors, return system and larger pump in there.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!

Still stock heads with stock cams and also stock exhaust manifolds?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by deanfootlong
excellent power for your mods. excited to see what happens when you put larger injectors, return system and larger pump in there.
Thanks! Me too! Lol, I actually haven’t really driven on the 14 psi tune yet either, just a few pulls so far… the 10 psi setting on my i-Boost switch was nearly 50whp over my last setup so I’ve been slowly introducing myself to the new found power, lol. I’m just enjoying the car again.

The Aeromotive pump is already in hand, I’m think I’ll pick up a set of 1,000cc – 1,200cc injectors next, and then the CJM stage 1 RFS, and retune. That’ll probably have to wait till March though; new wheels are next on the list.

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Nice!

Still stock heads with stock cams and also stock exhaust manifolds?
Yup! 100% stock heads, camshafts, and exhaust manifolds; also, the PL downpipe is still dumping into my original HKS dual exhaust too.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I forgot, are you using the stock ECU to control the TB? Do you have the CAN cable to pull your map? I'd be interested to see your ECT/idle pages.

For some reason my TB is losing calibration. I reset it and it is fine again. Dont know if its actually the TB or if maybe I changed a setting to far.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I forgot, are you using the stock ECU to control the TB? Do you have the CAN cable to pull your map? I'd be interested to see your ECT/idle pages.

For some reason my TB is losing calibration. I reset it and it is fine again. Dont know if its actually the TB or if maybe I changed a setting to far.
Right now the ProEFI is in charge of the throttle control; unfortunately, I don’t have a CAN cable… but I’ve been having issues with the throttle body (high idle) since I got the car back together. Jason looked into it and identified the issue as a bad throttle body; I’m going to order a refurbished unit tomorrow though. After that I’ll probably disable the throttle control and let the stock ECU take control of it.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

nice build, interested to see what kind of gains you will get with a frs and bigger injectors
Old 11-14-2011, 01:16 PM
str8dum1

hopefully that fixes it.

What year is your G? Do your wheel speed sensors work?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
thatv35guy

Yeah, I’ll let you know if it does!

Mine is a 2003 6MT… Jason setup my traction control right after he finished tuning, I never really used it though (I had it on for a week; I was only running 7 psi so it wasn’t really needed and not very noticeable at that level). I have to setup my toggle switch before I reconnect it since when it was activated it was affecting my color CAN gauge and every now and then I’d lose the connection between the computer and the gauge.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noice! How is everything bro? Can I get a ride in it on Thanksgiving week? lol Also, I've been trying to get a hold of Pete and still no answer.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM
str8dum1

dang, another 2003. i dont get any wheel speeds so I cant use the TC. Trying to get help lately from Jason or Larry has been really slow. The EMS is awesome, just very few people that can work with it can lead to long delays.

I'm just using the normal CAN gauge with no issues but that color one is so cool. Just no room to really mount it the way I have my interior setup.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by str8dum1
dang, another 2003. i dont get any wheel speeds so I cant use the TC. Trying to get help lately from Jason or Larry has been really slow. The EMS is awesome, just very few people that can work with it can lead to long delays.

I'm just using the normal CAN gauge with no issues but that color one is so cool. Just no room to really mount it the way I have my interior setup.
Yeah, the ProEFI EMS has been good to me; of course, being in Scottsdale, AZ and 30 minutes away from ProEFI sure doesn’t hurt either, lol…

I actually found that the color can gauge fits right in the center compartment (I don’t have navigation) they also have an optional suction mount that allows you to affix the gauge to the windshield (like an aftermarket GPS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ong02TvZQU
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by Kcee91
Noice! How is everything bro? Can I get a ride in it on Thanksgiving week? lol Also, I've been trying to get a hold of Pete and still no answer.
Hey Kev! Yeah, I finally decided to post my thread up here; the car has been good though, taking it down to Intense to get my Kuruma Z bumper painted and installed tomorrow! Lol, I’m down to meet up sometime during Thanksgiving week, let me know when you’re going to be in town, shoot me a text. I’ll give Pete a heads up when I’m down there later this week; so, when are the 20g’s going in?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice! I bet you are glad to have it back on the road.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what tires on you running? looks like beautiful stock rims but i can't find tires that would hold any power so i can still use my stock rims.

as for injectors. ID1000's are sweet but overkill unless you are planning on e85. I'm pushing near 600 (going to re-dyno friday up to 30psi) on hks 1000's and i'm in the low 70's for duty cycle on e85. So on pumpgas the id 700's or 750's (whichever they make) would be a nice addition.

also, i have some parts for a return system if you wanted to piece together a basic return system. pm me.

Car looks solid. Nice build!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 AM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by WTFMike
Nice! I bet you are glad to have it back on the road.
Yeah, it’s a huge relief; so much work went into getting this car back together and that all just makes a WOT pull on the highway feel that much better, lol… How’s your Z doing BTW?

Originally Posted by binder
what tires on you running? looks like beautiful stock rims but i can't find tires that would hold any power so i can still use my stock rims.

as for injectors. ID1000's are sweet but overkill unless you are planning on e85. I'm pushing near 600 (going to re-dyno friday up to 30psi) on hks 1000's and i'm in the low 70's for duty cycle on e85. So on pumpgas the id 700's or 750's (whichever they make) would be a nice addition.

also, i have some parts for a return system if you wanted to piece together a basic return system. pm me.

Car looks solid. Nice build!
Thanks!

Haha, I’m running the stock wheels wrapped in 245/45 Federal 595’s… after 10 psi it’s not holding the power at all (I’ll have traction after 40 mph on a roll), lol… I’ve been looking at two possible routes for wheels and tires… option 1.) Have the rear wheels widened to 10.5” that would let me run a lot more tire in the rear… option 2.) Buy a set of 18” Enkei NT03+M’s; I’d probably go with an 18x9.5 setup.

I live less than one block away from an E85 pump so I’m probably going E85 sometime next year. I’m definitely interested in the RFS; let me know what you have! Thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 AM
str8dum1

I still run these on my stock rims and they fit perfect. Way better than the street tired 275s I have on the other pair of stock rims. I cut 1.6-1.7 60's at th e track on them and they hook great on the street.

Just get a set of them instead of spending all that money on rims

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?...on=show_detail

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-16-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
thatv35guy

Awesome, I wasn’t sure if you could pull off a 275 tire on the stock 18” wheels, that’s good news... I was actually originally looking at Nitto 555R’s or BFG’s for the drag strip, but that’s not a bad price either; curious as to how much life have you gotten out of your M&H’s?

I could only dream of a sub 1.8 60-ft. time! …11’s here I come?

Last edited by thatv35guy; 11-16-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: thatv35guy’s PowerLab ProEFI Motor Build, Pic Intensive