Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

supercharger problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
sandstrom.carl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger problem!

i own a 2005 350z, earlier this year i had a vortech supercharger installed, running 6lbs of boost, only has 9,000 miles on it, oil is good. however after a day in the canyons yesterday i heard a loud metel on metel noise and something falling apart, it was pritty obvious what happen something in the head unit shattered or fell apart, car wouldnt start had to take the belt off and drive it to a location N/A...is this a common problem with these units? or am i just unlucky?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your bearings went. Look in your intercooler for oil.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 AM
chaparro78

Originally Posted by sandstrom.carl
i own a 2005 350z, earlier this year i had a vortech supercharger installed, running 6lbs of boost, only has 9,000 miles on it, oil is good. however after a day in the canyons yesterday i heard a loud metel on metel noise and something falling apart, it was pritty obvious what happen something in the head unit shattered or fell apart, car wouldnt start had to take the belt off and drive it to a location N/A...is this a common problem with these units? or am i just unlucky?
Not common, I have over 100k miles on my Vortech with the 2.87 pulley. Only thing I have replaced is 1 serpentine belt, 1 cog belt, and had the BOV rebuilt. Never had an issue with the SC itself.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Was it a new kit?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 AM
jpc350

I don't recall hearing of this type of problem..Is it the self lubricating blower? loss of lubricant?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 PM
sandstrom.carl

im in the process of taking it off right now, and doin some investigating, good news its under warenty vortech said just to drop it off, one question for you guys...gonna sound dumb but im stuck, taking off the belt! i found the idel pully, now where or how do i relelse the tension..all i see is one bolt holding the pully to the bracket, what am i missing?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

You need to loosen the nut on the pulley, and the tension adjustment is accessed from under the car. You will have to take off the plastic belly pan cover. You can drill a 1" hole in the belly pan for future access... It make it much easyer to adjust the belt.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM
unvmyg35

Off topic... How hot is everyones blower getting? Is it normal to be too hot to touch?

The first 1000 miles my blower V2 was turning smoothly but now my blower is also starting to get noisy and shake (slightly) at times. Not sure what to think of this as I dont have much experience with the vortech. Not sure if this is common.

Anyone experiencing these same issues?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by unvmyg35
Off topic... How hot is everyones blower getting? Is it normal to be too hot to touch?

The first 1000 miles my blower V2 was turning smoothly but now my blower is also starting to get noisy and shake (slightly) at times. Not sure what to think of this as I dont have much experience with the vortech. Not sure if this is common.

Anyone experiencing these same issues?
With my V3, you can touch the blower, but it's hot where you can't rest your hand on it. However, it has been awhile since I've checked how hot it gets.

The vortech's are pretty noisy at lower rpms. I get the "shake" if I let the car idle, when warm, without the a/c on. The shake goes away with the a/c on, which bumps the rpms up.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM
unvmyg35

Originally Posted by Threads
With my V3, you can touch the blower, but it's hot where you can't rest your hand on it. However, it has been awhile since I've checked how hot it gets.

The vortech's are pretty noisy at lower rpms. I get the "shake" if I let the car idle, when warm, without the a/c on. The shake goes away with the a/c on, which bumps the rpms up.

Mines does exactly what you described at idle. Glad to know its normal. Now that I remember my blower is warm at idle but gets really hot after a drive which makes sense since the blower is spinning at high rpms. Thanks for your input, greatly appriciated!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
sandstrom.carl

thanks "old man" got the belt off, supercharger outta there, no oil in the intercooler, but the head unit was alomst dry! the pan the supercharger sits right above was covered in dirty oil and so was the botton of the supercharger....whatt the f**k!, more to come on how this problem will be resolved...but im all sorts of sad!

Last edited by sandstrom.carl; 01-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.